Kimchi Cuddles / Tikva Wolf / Bethany Kurrus - "Shishkaboots!" Bethany Kurrus's Poorly Drawn Poly Tumblr Hipster Comic Approved by Sophie LaBelle

chimpburgers

Big league
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People were requesting a thread on this in the Polyamory on Tumblr thread and even I cringed pretty badly at this comic too, so let's make fun of it here. I'm going to go by what @melty and @Frenda were saying about this comic and add my own screenshots of the mess of a comic here.

So what is Kimchi Cuddles and why should you care? Well, in my own quick Googling on this comic, the TVTropes page on it explains that it is "a Tumblr-based Slice of Life webcomic following the relationships of a community of mostly polyamorous people. The main characters are Kimchi and Vajra, a couple in an open marriage looking to meet other partners, and although their relationship is central to the comic, numerous other relationship dynamics are explored through other characters."

I was trying to see if they had any entry on the Bad Webcomics Wiki but in my quick cursory glance, I didn't find anything there.

The comic strip has gotten some really mixed reviews on r/Polyamory. Just check out a few of these screenshots.

reddit1.png

I really liked the last comment on this screenshot. It sums up everything wrong with this comic in just one paragraph. It's so accurate that I decided to copy and paste what they said here too though I'm much more critical of the art style than they are.

reddit2.png

I don't want this to come across as mean, but I'm not a fan of Kimchi Cuddles.

First, the good. I don't dislike the art style. It's cute.

As others pointed out, it is preachy. It feels like a 22 year old who has never done polyamory is lecturing me on how to do it based on her ideal of what it should be. I know what I thought it would be like. That's not particularly funny.

What is funny are the thousand and one moments in polyamory where it goes some place you never expected. When you're sitting with your wife and your metamour and a party guest makes an unintentionally on-the-nose comment about how all three people on the sofa are packed in so close that they might all as well go home together. It's the thing odd public slip-ups and gaffes that you all have to keep a straight face for and laugh about later.

Poly can be damn funny. It's just a shame not to mine that and instead turn it all into a nonmonogamy PSA.

If you want to see examples of this piss poor comic in action, you're in luck. Melty already compiled great examples for us.

If you're this retarded I don't know if you are ready for one relationship let alone five

This is actually a good point, but it's expressed in the most retarded way possible

This person has a kid? What the fuck? Also why are these all so unfunny?

Ok this is just fucking creepy as hell. Your kid gives another kid a toy and you bring up her future sex life? What?

?I don't even know

Here she all but admits she does this stupid shit for attention

What a great guy, completely ignoring his partners insecurity to soapbox about polyamory. And dealing with one person in pretty much any situation is easier than dealing with two or three because people are fucking complicated no matter what you're doing. Though its not like any of these characters care about complicated stuff like other peoples feelings or what they want.

The purple hair chick and red hair glasses guy have some recurring issues and I guess they break up after many comics of them getting upset and not talking to each other about it. For some reason red hair is portrayed sympathetically and purple hair is portrayed as being really unreasonable even though they're all pretty awful so she ends up unintentionally being relatable, kind of like the bad guys in Assigned Male.

I also recommend reading Frenda's explanation about what the comic is. It has details about its Patreon and all of that.

Relevant tags taken from her comment:

http://kimchicuddles.com/tagged/polyamory
http://kimchicuddles.com/tagged/poly-problems
http://kimchicuddles.com/tagged/metamour (i had to google wtf this means but apparently it refers to your partner's partner)

it has a Patreon, because of course it does - the creator makes $1.2k a fucking month for these shitty doodles.

sperging3.png

bonus: here's an article the creator wrote about how normalizing polyamory would help destroy rape culture.

Last edited:

ActualKiwi

Return Of The Spinning Kiwis From Middle Earth~~
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
it has a Patreon, because of course it does - the creator makes $1.2k a fucking month for these shitty doodles.

View attachment 87680
I have to wonder wtf is wrong with people when something that looks like it was drawn by a half-vegetative child in MSPaint gets that much a month...
Definitely have to agree with whoever said it was basically blog posts chucked in word bubbles- seems like nearly every panel, often a good 2/3 of the panel is text with a tiny bit of art.

chimpburgers

Big league
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

LagoonaBlue

Harriet Louise Connor (No bully; have Autism)
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
The creator couldn't even come up with a good name for their protagonist so they named it after a fucking FOOD.

Can't wait to actually have a serious discussion on this with the rest of you guys. I don't know much about this comic but will have to dig deeper and look into it before having any sort of formal conversation.

Titan Lithos

Classic Rock
kiwifarms.net
I'm not about to go through the comics, but I wonder if they talk about the so-called poly relationships that explode like a cluster bomb, taking themselves out as well as several people in the process. No, not murder-suicide, just the ones that involve all the partners taking sides and trying to get their friends and family to pick a team.

I've seen too many of them and have had people try to get me into the ex-poly-wars. I've developed a sense of schadenfreude. Then again, I live in a big redneck city, so rednecks trying to be "open-minded" may just be a powder keg waiting for a match.

ActualKiwi

Return Of The Spinning Kiwis From Middle Earth~~
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not about to go through the comics, but I wonder if they talk about the so-called poly relationships that explode like a cluster bomb, taking themselves out as well as several people in the process. No, not murder-suicide, just the ones that involve all the partners taking sides and trying to get their friends and family to pick a team.

I've seen too many of them and have had people try to get me into the ex-poly-wars. I've developed a sense of schadenfreude. Then again, I live in a big redneck city, so rednecks trying to be "open-minded" may just be a powder keg waiting for a match.
I thought rednecks kinda have to be open minded with the whole uncle-brother/sister-wife thing some of them have going on?
On a sidenote, honestly out of every poly relationship I've known of personally, every single one has gone cataclysmic at the end.

Anightinchristine

Wasn't invited to Francine's party.
kiwifarms.net
The best part is that this shit is supposed to be based on Tikva's actual life, so you can find points in the comic where it feels like she's enacting out parts of her fantasy straight out of r/that happened. She even took down 3 comics recently because they were "too real". Of course, you can always read them if you subscribe to her hipster welfare.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
No shit. Imagine the worst breakup you've ever seen (or had), with both partners slashing each others tires, taking out restraining orders against each other, boiling bunnies and every other goddamn crazy ass thing exes do.

Now make that 7 people and they're each at least 8 times as crazy as those two.

Checkered Spotlight

kiwifarms.net
Why does one of her many, many boyfriends look like a typical hipster douche? Is that attractive now?

Also, considering that "Look how much Pumpkin loves to share" comic. Isn't she one of those people who hates "forcing heterosexuality on children"? Isn't what she's doing the same thing?

The ways some of the partners treat each other look really unhealthy, especially for a relationship like this. You don't ignore your partners' concerns like that unless you want it to blow up in your face, I'm pretty sure.