Kitchen Tricks - Cook Smarter!

Dyn

woman respecter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any time an Italian recipe tells you to use ricotta cheese, use white people cottage cheese instead. It will come out a thousand times better.

HamFan

Hi, guize! OK, so
kiwifarms.net
You know when you fry eggs, you like the yolk runny, but hate when the whites stay runny and snot-like?

Break the whites. The opposite of the way you avoid breaking the yolks. Stick the corner of the spatula in there, and carefully break up the whites so they can cook fully.

Pitere pit

Has man gone insane?
kiwifarms.net
When you stir onion, put some salt on them, it will cook better.
If the tomato sauce is too sour, pour a pinch of sugar on it.
Garlic/Onion powder is haram, use normal minced garlics and onions instead.
Red wine is for meat, white wine is for fish.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Garlic/Onion powder is haram,
iirc doesn't it work if you give the garlic powder a chance to bloom out first or something?

also does anybody have a trick to get peanut butter off of dishes and utensils other than "scrub it off you lazy fuck"

A borscht-on

He'll tap my ass if he needs air, and that's it.
kiwifarms.net
Not a cooking tip, but very useful for the kitchen if you find yourself infested with pantry moths (which can be absolute hell on earth and take months to control): Slip bay leaves into every nook and cranny you can find, especially if you have an older home and the moths find very sneaky crevasses in which to lay eggs. These assholes multiply like crazy, and all of your grains, cereals, sugars, and even nut butters will be infested in no time flat. You will still have to deal with every item in your kitchen as needed--and the adhesive traps do work very well, though they get utterly revolting over time--but the bay leaves seem to really expedite the pest-control issue.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah once you get over the basic yuck factor fly paper strips are god tier at kitchen bug control and are crazy cheap.
From my own experiences make sure you keep them away from anywhere a cat might leap through or where you might stretch your arms upward while tired.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
iirc doesn't it work if you give the garlic powder a chance to bloom out first or something?

also does anybody have a trick to get peanut butter off of dishes and utensils other than "scrub it off you lazy fuck"
I'd say as general cleaning tip - soak everything. If you are not cleaning straight away for whatever reason fill your bowl/pan etc with water. It will be 100% easier to clean later. With oven stuff I never clean straight away. Add couple of drops of washing liquid, fill with hot water and let is soak. All the baked on crap falls right off after a good soaking.

Also, never go straight in there with your sponge or scraper (if you are a pleb like me who doesn't own a dishwasher and hand washes everything). Rinse food crap off first and scrape off with your hand, otherwise all the food crap will get stuck in your sponge and you will have to replace it way more often.

Last edited:

Super Hans

kiwifarms.net
Any time an Italian recipe tells you to use ricotta cheese, use white people cottage cheese instead. It will come out a thousand times better.

My dad did that because he is cheap and didn't want to spring the cash for ricotta. I hated it so much it put me off anything Italian that was other than basic bitch pasta until my late 20s.

Slimy Time

New president, new Wu flu
kiwifarms.net
I'd say as general cleaning tip - soak everything. If you are not cleaning straight away for whatever reason fill your bowl/pan etc with water. It will be 100% easier to clean later. With oven stuff I never clean straight away. Add couple of drops of washing liquid, fill with hot water and let is soak. All the baked on crap falls right off after a good soaking.

Also, never go straight in there with your sponge or scraper (if you are a pleb like me who doesn't own a dishwasher and hand washes everything). Rinse food crap off first and scrape off with your hand, otherwise all the food crap will get stuck in your sponge and you will have to replace it way more often.
The first tip is great if it's not something you can clean as you do prep/you know it's going to stick and be a pain to remove. To add to the second tip, if you do have a dishwasher, rise the plate off before you put it in. I have seen so many people just scrape food into the bin and put it in the dishwasher, leave it for hours in there until the dishwasher is full, run it, and then wonder why they have bits and shit almost permanently stuck to the plate. Yes, you do have to rinse off the plates, as obvious as it sounds.

Ellesse_warrior

Plz dox thumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you have to coat meat with seasoning, flour etc. Its easier to get a good coating if you throw it all in a bag and shake it up. Much cleaner than rolling it around in a dish or tray. Works too for if your cooking oven fries. Throw them in a bag with some oil and shake, they'll get an even coating and you use less oil.

StrawberryDouche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No one likes to bite into a honking chunk of raw onion in macaroni or potato salad-- unless you do. Anyway, chop your onion and put it in the bowl with around a teaspoon of salt and let it sit for about ten minutes. It softens the onion and releases its juices so you get a more flavorful dressing.

elrond hubbard

kiwifarms.net
Insulin Ranch: The Mike Enoch Story

On topic, the least hassle way to dice an onion is to chop it one way almost all the way through, turn it sideways and repeat, and then turn it on its side and finish the dice. A lot easier than trying to hold bits of onion.

To clarify, first cut it like this, top-down view:
-----------
-----------
-----------

Then cut it like this, top down view:
|||||||||||||
|||||||||||||
|||||||||||||

It should at this point look sort of like a bloomin onion, pre-fried.

Then flip it on its side and finish the job. Don't cut all the way through on the first two cuts because that's what holds it together and makes it easier and faster to finish.

I learned it from some dude that ran a chicken sandwich shop in Louisiana.

This nigga lays pipe, his 30 minute meal series is great too and is full of tricks n shiet like this

To skin garlic, chop the root part off, smash it w a knife, then grasping the skin on the remaining end pick it up and flick it with your knife

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Hate crying while chopping onions? put em in the freezer for about 20 minutes. All that nasty gas will be contained in the onion. Don't want to wait 20 minutes? wear a full face mask for underwater. Keep the gas out and you chopping onions. No face mask? No problem! wet a towel and wrap around nose and mouth like a mask. water will trap that nasty gas.

Easiest method: whistle, I recommend the Wii shop theme. Don't know why it works, discovered it by accident a long time ago.

You know when you fry eggs, you like the yolk runny, but hate when the whites stay runny and snot-like?

Break the whites. The opposite of the way you avoid breaking the yolks. Stick the corner of the spatula in there, and carefully break up the whites so they can cook fully.

Disagree, the proper and best way to do it is to tilt the pan and use a tablespoon to scoop up the oil/butter and then baste the whites in it. Tilt, scoop, baste. Tilt, scoop, baste. The pan can be at a higher temperature than usual because the white takes 20 seconds to cook.

My advice/trick: Get one of these, they only cost a couple of bucks.
skrapa1.jpg

To me that is the most versatile object in the kitchen. It scrapes oven/baking trays or whatever they are called, it scrapes the stove and the underside of pans. If the counter is dirty, scrape it, if there's flour left after baking, scrape it. If the counter is wet it scrapes the water away as effectively as one of those rubber things used to clean windows - there's no need to dry it with a towel afterwards.

It cuts dough, pasta, niggas, pizzas, bananas, it never goes dull because it was never sharp to begin with. Lay it down and press on the blade to crush things, if a dough sticks to the counter it will unstick it. It's easy to clean and I don't think it can break.

DuckSucker

NIbblin' bits since 2006
kiwifarms.net

This also works if you put some soapy water on a paper towel and let it sit over the cooked on stuff. Like if you have a baking sheet where you maybe cooked a pizza on, and didnt use parchment paper and maybe cheese melted on, it doesnt have a lip where you can soak it, but if you put a washrag or wet paper towel over the cooked on bit, and it will do the same.

Also one thing my grandma used to do occasionally is if a pan has burned on food, you can do the same--add water and soap to the dish, but she would let it simmer for a bit and it would sometimes cook off the food, or you could scrape it off.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
This also works if you put some soapy water on a paper towel and let it sit over the cooked on stuff. Like if you have a baking sheet where you maybe cooked a pizza on, and didnt use parchment paper and maybe cheese melted on, it doesnt have a lip where you can soak it, but if you put a washrag or wet paper towel over the cooked on bit, and it will do the same.

Also one thing my grandma used to do occasionally is if a pan has burned on food, you can do the same--add water and soap to the dish, but she would let it simmer for a bit and it would sometimes cook off the food, or you could scrape it off.
The problem with soaking something like a frying pan when its still hot is that it will get warped over time(hot from the bottom=expanding - cold from the top = contracting). Keep working on it and it will be a nice artisinal wok, you will probably notice that it doesn't heat evenly before that. I usually save some hot pasta or potato water to pour in just to preserve the pan-temperature, or let the faucet run to get it as hot as possible.

HIVidaBoheme

Whoever I tell people on the internet I am
kiwifarms.net
For a clean looking rice squeeze a few drops of lemon juice while it boils, it also helps to prevent it being too sticky.

Alternatively, use a spoon to scoop the hot oil you're cooking it with and pour the oil over the yolk until you develop a nice coat on it that will ensure the yolk is runny and the whites are cooked thoroughly since the hot oil will pour down to them.