Kiwi Farms folding@home Team - GPUs needed to fight Wuhan Flu

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"After initial quality control and limited testing phases, Folding@home team has released an initial wave of projects simulating potentially druggable protein targets from SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) and the related SARS-CoV virus (for which more structural data is available) into full production on Folding@home. Many thanks to the large number of Folding@home donors who have assisted us thus far by running in beta or advanced modes."

We're especially in need of more donors with GPUs to help out, and all our GPU projects are devoted to potential drug targets for COVID-19 right now. For more information about Folding@home, check out http://foldingathome.org

https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/coronavirus#how-to-contribute

I have created a "team". Unfortunately the Folding@Home team ranking system seems to be offline so I can't actually link to anything. Our number is 239052

Celestial Being

kiwifarms.net
I have a spare desktop with a GTX 1070 can I just hook this up and let it run 24/7 without looking at it? Going to boot it up and throw it in the garage if so.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just downloaded the client and joined the team, but they're so overwhelmed with participants that they have run out of work units.
Yeah that's a thing, just let keep trying to reconnect. I don't have any issues submitted completed work once I get a job, and it might retry 5 times before I get a new one. They're adding more capacity.

I have a spare desktop with a GTX 1070 can I just hook this up and let it run 24/7 without looking at it? Going to boot it up and throw it in the garage if so.
Yup

HackerX

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Downloaded, started, and it's running. It looks like it's running. The web client started acting a bit goofy, but once I just used the Advanced Control, that's when it looked like it was working.

Is there any reason to download the GitHub repo?

Last edited:

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The overwhelming support from RISEN GAMERS continues to result in all simulations being ripped through with PRO GAMER speed. I haven't personally got any GPU WUs for hours. Looks like we're waiting on some new simulations: https://twitter.com/drGregBowman/status/1240033681579880448

Downloaded, started, and it's running. It looks like it's running. The web client started acting a bit goofy, but once I just used the Advanced Control, that's when it looked like it was working.

Is there any reason to download the GitHub repo?
I only linked to the GitHub for the README.md file. It had more specific information than the main official site.

Slav Power

Tag jes.
kiwifarms.net
For some reason I cannot access the webpanel, but the client control works fine. I understand that by setting the Cause Preference to "any" in Advanced is the preferred setting, yes?

For some reason I cannot access the webpanel, but the client control works fine. I understand that by setting the Cause Preference to "any" in Advanced is the preferred setting, yes?
Yes that will work. Also there is a bug with the web client where it will constantly refresh after the first visit. The workaround for this is to open it in incognito mode.

PirateLordRidley

kiwifarms.net
The web client started acting a bit goofy, but once I just used the Advanced Control, that's when it looked like it was working.
For some reason I cannot access the webpanel, but the client control works fine.
There is a known issue with Chrome, resolved by running in incognito.

Edit: I'll take my lates like the idiot I am. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3119967d0c

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
I'm already folding with a team but I do wanna say that EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS guys.
I don't care how old or bad your hardware is, folding saves lives, and you shouldn't hesitate just because you think you might not make enough of an impact.
I hesitate mostly because of the electricity prices. Anyone, be aware that especially GPUs are incredibly hungry and if you don't live a country where electricity is dirt-cheap, you will certainly feel it in the bill if you run this 24/7, depending on hardware. Not discouraging people, just noting it.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
I'm putting my dual vega 64s and i7 into the mix. If I ever get any fucking work units that is. Honestly I've spent more time idling then working with this thing.

EDIT: it finally started pulling WUs again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffee Shits
Tags
None