Kiwifarms Book Club -

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
I'm very interested in forming a Kiwifarms Book Club.

I suggest that we:

(i) collectively choose, read and discuss one book per month;
(ii) read two works of fiction for each work of nonfiction;
(iii) use Harold Bloom's list of books in his version of the Western Canon as a guide: http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
(iv) decide on titles by mutual discussion and majority decision.
(v) only choose books that are available for free on the Library Genesis ... which is most books.

If you would like to become a member, please say so. Taking a look at the Western Canon list on the linked website, suggest what you would like for the first two selections; if you like, suggest something for the third nonfiction selection. Right now I am thinking, Pale Fire by Nabokov, John Cheever's Short Stories, and maybe Blood in the Water for nonfiction regarding the Attica prison riot/uprising.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
Whoa that's a huge reading list. I think it should be narrowed down some, like one book of classical /one modern literature book. And geographical location; for example, I'm not as familiar with French/Spanish/Portuguese classics so I'm a bit more interested in those.

• Agree
Reactions: Postal_Rat

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm down. Even more so if you put Neuromancer or Count Zero in there.

Reactions: J A N D E K

Postal_Rat

Digging through trash, Reading your mail
kiwifarms.net
Sounds like my jam, though I find myself agreeing with feline supremacist as it's hard for me to pick a book out of the list. Though I do think I would enjoy what Underestimated Nutria picked.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
That's a lot of old books. I'm not really interested in any nonfiction but I'm already listening to The Trial in audiobook. I'll put up The Trial by Franz Kafka and Catchter in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

The list might be too big to get a consensus on any books.

Reactions: Lemmingwise
V

VV 422

kiwifarms.net
reading more fiction than nonfiction is for brainlets
2 nonfiction to 1 fiction is a better balance. I suggest starting with the meditations of marcus aurelius and the communist manifesto to get it out of the way, and maybe dubliners to acclimate readers to james joyce before starting finnegan's wake or ulysses

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
If this thing takes off maybe we could make a goodreads group instead of using threads on KF. It's like having a subforum, we could even make it "secret" so other users wouldn't get upset at Kiwi Farms users being around. Goodreads already has a huge database of books and shit after all.

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
Whoa that's a huge reading list. I think it should be narrowed down some, like one book of classical /one modern literature book. And geographical location; for example, I'm not as familiar with French/Spanish/Portuguese classics so I'm a bit more interested in those.
Feel free to make a specific recommendation! Right now it looks like Pale Fire is the first selection; everything else is up in the air. Get your copy on Library Genesis (libgen.is). I will put up the thread in a few days, along with a recommended reading schedule.

That's a lot of old books. I'm not really interested in any nonfiction but I'm already listening to The Trial in audiobook. I'll put up The Trial by Franz Kafka and Catchter in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

The list might be too big to get a consensus on any books.
I like both those choices but I've read them, you're already in the process of doing so, maybe let's do something new to everyone?

Book club is for discussing book right? Do we use chat for this or just this thread?
Never participated in a book club before.
I'll make a new thread for Pale Fire in a few days. Unless anyone has a better idea for organizing things.

How old to we want to go? There were some Greek fags who were well worth a read.
Absolutely, there's no restrictions of any kind other than quality. Any specific suggestions?

I actually did like that poster's suggestion of Marcus Aurelius' meditations. What do you guys think? For those who would like the nonfiction and fiction book clubs to be separate, how should I go about that?

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Everyone is gonna have an opinion and we will lose our minds sorting it out. So if I may make a suggestion every month should have a book master chosen at random from the group to pick the selection. They can take input but get absolute freedom to choose. If we got a ton of interest, maybe assign one person to pick the particular genre for that month so you would be able assign 3 people at once.

Standard kiwi farms rules would of course apply. If your choice is dumb you will be mocked

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
Feel free to make a specific recommendation! Right now it looks like Pale Fire is the first selection; everything else is up in the air. Get your copy on Library Genesis (libgen.is). I will put up the thread in a few days, along with a recommended reading schedule.

I like both those choices but I've read them, you're already in the process of doing so, maybe let's do something new to everyone?

I'll make a new thread for Pale Fire in a few days. Unless anyone has a better idea for organizing things.

Absolutely, there's no restrictions of any kind other than quality. Any specific suggestions?

I actually did like that poster's suggestion of Marcus Aurelius' meditations. What do you guys think? For those who would like the nonfiction and fiction book clubs to be separate, how should I go about that?
I think we should include one of the classics (Greek, Roman or other accepted classics eg Gilgamesh). The Meditations is great but we could start off with something lighter, like Aristophanes' Lysistrata. The Greeks excelled at using comedy to make political statements but few professors introduce these works into their curriculum.

Lemmingwise

Blamer
kiwifarms.net
Everyone is gonna have an opinion and we will lose our minds sorting it out. So if I may make a suggestion every month should have a book master chosen at random from the group to pick the selection. They can take input but get absolute freedom to choose. If we got a ton of interest, maybe assign one person to pick the particular genre for that month so you would be able assign 3 people at once.

Standard kiwi farms rules would of course apply. If your choice is dumb you will be mocked

Here's a way to resolve things easily. We create a huge booklist and then everybody chooses the book they like, read it and never talk about it. Would be the best book club ever.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net

Regarding the ancient world, I wouldn't start by jumping ahead to the Romans.
Start with the Greeks. I imagine even reading them together in voice chat could be fun. Imagine a Kiwi rendition of Plato's Symposium.
In terms of folks worth covering: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle to get the basics of western philosophy nailed down, Sophocles wrote a series of plays worth a read as well.
Let's not forget the Illiad and the Odyssey.
About then I'd say start with the Romans. Aurelius is a late thinker. Start with Virgil. Then you can get to the lawyers and stoics. Seneca, Aurelius, Cicero. It's also worth reading the histories of Tacitus and Caesar.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino