• Often

Votes: 271 53.8%
  • ...Do hotpockets count?

Votes: 44 8.7%

• Total voters

HIVidaBoheme

"Oooh Giiiingeeeeeer!"
kiwifarms.net
Presentation is not my strong suit. The only thing I can make looks good is steak but that's not much of an accomplishment.
Maybe serve in a vaguely crescent shape instead of a heap of slop, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and add some greenery for garnish either parsley or some fresh basil leaves, then add maybe one slice of garlic bread to the empty part of the plate and this will look like something you'd proudly serve at your next dinner date. :)

Coleslaw

kiwifarms.net
Have we had a steak recipe? I'm sure there's someone here that doesn't know how to cook steak.

Steak
1 steak
salt
pepper
1-2Tbsp Butter

Acquire cast iron skillet. Heat on high heat. It'll smoke more than a college student who just discovered weed.
Coat your steak in salt and pepper on both sides. Be generous.
Melt your butter in that skillet. Be sure to use butter. Butter is life, butter is love.
Carefully lower steak in. Sear that shit for 3ish minutes. Don't touch it until you flip it. Repeat on other side.
Throw into over under the broiler. 5 minutes a side.
Take out. Let rest.

If you can't eat your steak at this doneness, you can't eat steak.
Don't you have to defrost it first?

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alright, here's some advice on how to make those salmon cuts you can buy (the pre-made ones you can pop in the oven) taste good.

I recommend the following seasonings:

Lemon Pepper (make sure it's been finely ground for even distribution)
Seasoning Salt (again, make sure it's finely ground)
Parsley Flakes (can be optional, but include these if you want to dilute some of the spicy while still giving the salmon a distinct flavor)

I'd give a light to moderate dusting of the seasoning salt first, then a light sprinkling of the lemon pepper, then the parsley if you want to water down the spicy (good for those with irritable stomachs or just don't like excessive spice).

I prefer to cook my salmon till the edges are dark, by that point the rest has cooked well enough the whole thing will be cooked evenly.

This is good for those who want to eat fairly healthy or like fish in general, and I recommend this be served along with any fresh vegetables and rice dishes especially, white or yellow rice would be fine.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Ran by AI
kiwifarms.net
CivilianOfTheFandomWar’s “Fuck Yeah Science! Chocolate Cake”

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup butter, soft
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups cold to room temperature black coffee, strong but still drinkable

Mix all these together in a bowl, then gently stir in 2 tsp of vinegar. White works fine, apple cider is preferred. Either way, this cake will be based.
Pour the batter into either a greased 9-by-13 pan, or into two greased layer-cake pans.
Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 350F oven.
Take out and let cool.
Frost with whatever you want, raspberry jam is great. Or, get some nice dark chocolate and melt it, then spread it on the cake and let harden.

It’s a great cake, not overly sweet but not bitter either. Really easy to make, and the baking soda and vinegar are what makes it rise in the oven. There’s never any leftovers if you have more than just yourself eating it.
The original recipe typically calls for oil and water instead of butter and coffee, but I think my way makes it richer. The coffee doesn’t make it taste like coffee at all, it just makes it not watery and more chocolaty.

Last edited:

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 white/yellow onion
- 5-6 medium tomatos
- 1-2 chicken breasts
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1 spoonful plain yogurt
- Generous helping of cilantro

Spices (add to taste):
- Tumeric
- Cumin
- Paprika
- Coriander
- Cinnamon
- Salt
- Red pepper flakes/powder
- Garam Masala*
*this one’s important, you’re gonna need a fuckton of it. International grocers usually sell big bags of this stuff for dirt cheap. Don’t buy it in a bottle, that shit’s like $4-5 per and you’re gonna use up a quarter of it in one go. If you don’t have it, regular ass curry powder could probably be used as a substitute.

Prepping the chicken:
- Chop your chicken into small chunks, and mix in all the spices. Chop up 3 cloves garlic and half your ginger, and mix it in. Mix in a spoonful of yogurt. Let it sit in the fridge while you make the curry base.

Making the curry:
I use an instant pot for this to speed up the process. If you’re using a normal pot you’ll just have to let it simmer for a bit longer. I also use a blender to purée the whole thing at the end. This isn’t necessary, but if you choose to skip this step, then make sure to chop everything more fine.
- Add butter to your pot. Once hot, throw in cinnamon, cumin, and coriander. Throw in more than you think is necessary, a fuckton of spice is literally what makes Indian food Indian food.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute.
- Add chopped onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, until brown.
- Add chopped tomato’s and about half a cup of water. Throw in a fuckton of Garam Masala, along with a bit of salt and sugar.
- At this point, I throw it under pressure for 10 minutes. If you’re not using an instant pot, just let it simmer at low heat until the tomato chunks have broken down
- Purée the mixture in a desktop blender or with a blending wand.
- Mix in a spoonful of yogurt and a few sprigs chopped cilantro. Taste it and add more salt or Garam Masala as necessary,

Cooking the chicken:
- Pour some oil into your pan, and set the stove as high as it’ll go. Once hot, put in the seasoned chicken chunks.
- Stir with a spatula, turn over chunks to make sure they’re evenly cooked.
- Let them sit on the pan until golden brown and a little crispy, stir and repeat until all sides are the proper shade

Check on your curry. It should be thick but not solid enough to maintain its form. Add maybe another quarter to half cup of water to maintain proper consistency, and throw in your chicken chunks. Before serving, stir in some more chopped cilantro.

This makes around 3 servings. Eat it with rice, naan, whatever.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
'tis the season.

Active time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour at most

Serves 3-4
Special equipment: flared saute pan, or stir-fry/curry pan

Marinade:

500 g chicken breast, large cubes
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ginger, finely grated
1/2 tsp garlic, finely grated
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp kashmiri chili powder (more for hot)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp madras powder (alternatively 1/5 tsp ground fenugreek seed, 1/5 tsp kashmiri chilli powder, a tiny bit of cinnamon, cardomon, and mint)
2 tsp fenugreek leaf
1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar

Cooking:

1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
1 med red onion, finely chopped
150 ml water
2 small green chili peppers, chopped (more for hot)
1 tsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp tamarind paste (optional)
1/2 tsp garam masala
Coriander leaf, fresh, chopped
Lemon, small squeeze (optional)

--

Marinade:

Add cubed chicken breast to a large mixing bowl. Add vinegar, salt, garlic, ginger, lemon (if using), and stir through. Then add the herbs and spices in small amounts in-between stirs to ensure full coverage. Can be left on the counter to marinate for 20 mins, or put in the fridge to marinate for longer (up to 24 hrs).

Cooking:

Melt coconut oil on a medium heat, then add the mustard and cumin seeds to cook gently for 30 seconds or so, swirling the pan so that they do not burn. Finely chop and add onions. Once up to temperature, lower heat and leave cooking for 15 mins until very soft and fragrant (you can brown them or not).

Raise heat to med-high and add the marinated chicken, stirring until sealed. While doing this, add 150 ml water to the chicken bowl and swirl around to gather any remaining flavour from the marinade. Once the chicken has sealed, add the green chilies, tomato puree, and tamarind paste (if using), stir through. Add the water from the chicken bowl and bring to a light simmer. Place a lid on the pan and leave to gently simmer for 20 mins. Towards the end of this stage, cook rice using your preferred method.

Remove the lid, and gently simmer the open pan until sauce has thickened to desired consistency (should not be as loose as some other curries), up to 15 mins. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala and chopped coriander leaf (reserving some for garnish), stir through and serve.

Madras advocacy: no dairy, bright and acidic but with warm spice. Beyond the amount of spices used is a very minimal recipe unfettered by the usual tomato, bell pepper, etc additions, though if you prefer can take a lot of additional vegetables. I usually add at least chickpeas, but you can use the base of it to make a good vegetarian curry as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Ran by AI
kiwifarms.net
CivilianOfTheFandomWars’ Edible Rocket Fuel: AKA Almond Paste

Are you not fat enough for our Dear Leader to pay attention to you? Here’s a simple solution.

1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 lightly beaten large egg white
Optional, 1/2 tsp almond extract

Put all of the almonds and a 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar into a food processor. Run the food processor until the nuts are finely ground, stopping to scrape the sides.
Once finely ground, put the rest of the powdered sugar in and pulse until everything is completely mixed.
Add the egg white and, if using, the almond extract, and mix until it begins to form a big, smooth ball in the processor. If it’s too sticky, slowly add more powdered sugar until it’s nice and smooth.

That’s it, really. You can use it however you like, it’s great for baking.
Or, if you are a monster like me, you can just eat it raw. It does have egg, so you do you.
It’s also basically pure calories.

Stuck in Corners

guuurrrl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bow-tie and Broccoli Pasta Salad

Lemon mixture:
Canola Oil (1 cup)
Extra Virgin olive oil (1/2 cup)
Lemon (1/2 cup)
Honey (4-6 tbsp)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Pepper (1 tsp)

Other:
Four Jalapenos and five red peppers
Goat cheese crumbles
Broccoli (prepackaged)
Box of bow-tie pasta

1. Mix together that cup of canola oil, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, 1/2 of tsp salt and 1 tsp of pepper in a bowl. Mix until the mixture tastes sweet with a slight hint of the lemon juice. If you don't taste that slight lemon, feel free to add some more.
  2. Cut up your jalapenos, peppers, and broccoli really tiny and saute them on a pan with olive oil and pepper for 5-7 minutes.
  3. Cook bow-tie pasta for 10-15 minutes and drain them.
  4. Mix together your lemon mixture, vegetable mix, into the pasta and stir.
  5. Throw it into a fridge and keep it in for about 4 hours. Throw on the goat cheese crumbles into it after it gets cold.
Quick and easy to make. Enjoy.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Ran by AI
kiwifarms.net
CivilianOfTheFandomWars' Walnut and Brown Sugar Thing

Basically, this is a purposefully messed up cake that has crust like cornbread and is filled with nuts and brown sugar. It is pretty cheap, has barely any skill involved, and has a rich texture and flavor. Now, there is no frosting here, I haven't found one that I think compliments this thing well enough to bother with.

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, the darker the better
1 cup oil or butter
4 eggs
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Cream the sugars and oil/butter together, then add the eggs and mix well. Once mixed, add in the flour and nuts. Mix to combine into a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a greased/floured 9-by-9 cake pan, or a 9-by-13 pan. Either way is fine, it tastes pretty much the same.
Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes, depending on what pan you used. Once it passes the 'toothpick test', it is ready to take out.
Gently separate the sides from the pan and then let cool completely.
Serve.

Now, this creation may not be the prettiest thing in the world, it is pretty much a messed up cake after all. However, the trade of beauty for a lovely crust and the brown sugar making it that much more rich is one I'm willing to make. It ends up almost like a cousin to cornbread in crumb and crust, but with nuts and molasses instead of lard and cornmeal.

Last edited:

Nonconsentual Pronouns

Apocalyptic Troon Patrol
kiwifarms.net
A simple blend of cream cheese and vanilla yogurt is incredibly versatile. Mash up the cream cheese a little bit before adding the yogurt and applying an emulsion blender until the consistency is silky with no lumps to be found. Pick one of the numbered options and run with it. You should be able to get some ideas for your own modifications; the possibilities are vast. Whatever you pick to add to the cheese and yogurt base, be sure to incorporate it with the stick blender to keep it silky and even.

• 8oz cream cheese (standard plain brick)
  • 6oz vanilla yogurt (I use the Yoplait single-serving cups)
  1. Add 1-2 Tbs confectioner's/powdered sugar for a sweet and silky fruit dip that doesn't interfere with the flavors of what you dip into it. Also makes for a great bagel spread if you're a heathen like me who enjoys plain spreads on your plain bagels.
  2. Add 2-3 Tbs melted dark chocolate (just toss a bar of Dove into the microwave in a ramekin) and 0-2 Tbs powdered sugar for a surprisingly decadent chocolate dip that raises the bar for berries. It tastes like something that you'd get from an upscale grocery store's bakery section for half a fortune. If you used this stuff and berries to top waffles or fill a tart shell, you could easily impress a lot of people.
  3. Add 4 Tbs strawberry preserves (or your inferior favorite jam) for the best goddamned breakfast food spread. Your bagels and pancakes will never be the same.
  4. Add 4-6 Tbs creamy peanut butter and 2 Tbs powdered sugar if you want to up your banana-peanut butter sandwich game. You can also top waffles or pancakes and drizzle chocolate on top.
  5. Add 2 tsp vanilla extract for a rich and aromatic fruit salad dressing that helps to enhance each fruit's flavor while also melding them together.
It's perfectly viable to change out the vanilla yogurt for any other flavor, but be aware of how it will fuck up its compatibility with other specific flavors such as chocolate, peanut butter or breads. Cherry seems to be the only viable substitute for version 2 if you want to avoid some odd flavors. Lime yogurt could be pretty weird all around unless you're making some kind of granny's jello salad topping or a fruit salad dressing. Honestly, vanilla and any fruity flavor of yogurt works for fruit salad dressing.

Don't add all of your powdered sugar at once; taste the mixture in between adding small amounts. Different people like different levels of tang, and the sugar is mostly there to counteract that tang.

Celestial Being

kiwifarms.net
All of these recipes are stolen and I dont have the sources since I just scroll past the bloggers life story and copy the recipe into a google doc. I have been trying to record new recipes but I have a huge backlog in my memory that I need to write down.

Linguini with Clams
INGREDIENTS
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 pound linguine
  • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots, from 2 shallots
  • 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 pounds Littleneck clams (40 to 45), scrubbed
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from 1 lemon, plus more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, from 1 lemon, plus more to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In large pot over high heat, bring 4 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt to a boil. Add the linguine and cook according to the package directions until just shy of al dente (the pasta should still be firm to the bite since it will cook another minute or two in the sauce).
  2. Meanwhile, in a very large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté until just golden, about 30 seconds. Add the wine, red pepper flakes, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, clams, and 1/4 cup of the parsley; bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until the clams open, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard any unopened clams.
  3. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water, drain the linguine in a colander (do not rinse). Add the pasta to the sauté pan with the clams. (If you don't have room for everything in one pan, transfer the clams to a plate and cover to keep warm. When ready to serve, add them back to the pasta on a serving platter). Increase the heat to medium and cook the linguini with the clams, tossing occasionally, until the pasta absorbs most of the sauce and is just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. If necessary, add some of reserved cooking water to keep moist. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley; toss to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt, lemon zest and/or lemon juice, if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish or bowls and serve.
Dutch Oven Jambalya
I got a Staub 4 qt cocette for Xmas and this recipe fits it perfectly.
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, diced
1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped,with juice
2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups stock
8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 green onions, finely chopped

------------------

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large pan or Dutch oven, brown chicken in hot oil on both sides; remove and drain.

Add andouille, onion, celery, bell pepper, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper to the pan, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes until onions are tender.

Add rice, tomatoes with juice, and broth; bring to a boil.

Place rice mixture in a baking dish or oven-proof casserole; top with chicken; cover (can use foil) and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until rice and chicken are done and tender.

Stir in shrimp, parsley, and green onions; cover and cook 5-8 minutes longer or until shrimp curl and turn bright pink and serve.
Soy Sauce Chicken
This is really salty, and I do not know how authentic the recipe is because I haven't actually had the real thing. Its really good over calrose rice and extremely easy to make since you are basically just boiling chicken thighs. I add a splash of Mirin and some extra green onions to the broth.

Soy sauce chicken

⅔ cup white sugar

⅔ cup brown sugar

1 cup soy sauce

2 cup water

¼ cup minced garlic

¼ cup minced fresh ginger

5 pounds bone-in chicken thighs with skin

¼ cup chopped green onions

1 Teaspoon all spice

Directions
Step 1
Combine sugar, soy sauce, water, garlic, and ginger in a large stock pot; stir until sugar is dissolved. Place chicken in stock pot and bring to a boil. Using tongs, turn chicken in pot every 5 minutes.

Step 2
Boil chicken until no longer pink at the bone and juices run clear, about 35 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Sauce mixture will turn into a rich, brown glaze. Remove pot from heat and let cool 10 minutes.

Step 3
Place chicken on a platter and sprinkle with chopped green onions.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Ran by AI
kiwifarms.net
CivilianOfTheFandomWars’ Real-Ass Pound Cake

Pound cake is one of those things that are very simple on it’s face, but can be used in many different ways. This pound cake is one of the best recipes I’ve found for them. It's the type of old-school that was designed to be fed to people who have fields to plow, so you know it's great.

3 Tablespoons milk
3 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ cups sifted cake flour
¾ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
13 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Gently combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Add half the egg mix and all of the butter to the dry stuff, and mix on low until evenly moist. Then crank it to high for about a minute to make it fluffy. Scrape the sides and add the rest of the egg in two batches, 20 seconds or so between each addition.
Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan, smoothing out the top. Place it in the oven for 55 to 65 minutes, but don’t just set it and forget it.
20 minutes in, quickly open the oven and slice the top with an oiled knife or a razorblade so you get that ‘split’ that makes it look like a proper pound cake. It’s not necessary, but may as well go the extra mile and make it look really nice. About 10 minutes after that, loosely cover the cake with some greased foil. This is to prevent over-browning.
Once the cake passes the ‘toothpick test’, remove from the oven and let cool in it’s pan for about 10 minutes. Then put it on a wire rack or something and let it cool until it’s, well, cooled.

What you will be rewarded with after all of this work is a cake that is tender like a professionally made cake, but has the rich buttery taste of a grandmother’s cake. This pound cake is a great example of how something very simple and old-fashioned can be just as good, if not better, than the latest fad you find on Instagram.

Last edited:

instythot

kiwifarms.net
All of these recipes are stolen and I dont have the sources since I just scroll past the bloggers life story and copy the recipe into a google doc. I have been trying to record new recipes but I have a huge backlog in my memory that I need to write down.

Linguini with Clams

Dutch Oven Jambalya
I got a Staub 4 qt cocette for Xmas and this recipe fits it perfectly.

Soy Sauce Chicken
This is really salty, and I do not know how authentic the recipe is because I haven't actually had the real thing. Its really good over calrose rice and extremely easy to make since you are basically just boiling chicken thighs. I add a splash of Mirin and some extra green onions to the broth.
Reducing the chicken recipe to portions you can do in a frying pan, dropping the five spice and throwing in a couple of tablespoons of mirin will be close enough to teriyaki chicken that most people won't notice

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Ran by AI
kiwifarms.net
Reducing the chicken recipe to portions you can do in a frying pan, dropping the five spice and throwing in a couple of tablespoons of mirin will be close enough to teriyaki chicken that most people won't notice
If it tastes good, that’s all you need.
Also, if you want less salt I’d recommend “Silver Swan” brand soy sauce. It’s less salty than Kikkomen soy sauce and I think has a better flavor in general.

• Agree
Reactions: instythot

instythot

kiwifarms.net
If it tastes good, that’s all you need.
Also, if you want less salt I’d recommend “Silver Swan” brand soy sauce. It’s less salty than Kikkomen soy sauce and I think has a better flavor in general.
Country of origin also makes a difference on the soy sauce. Product of Japan has a milder and less salty flavor than the Chinese version and derivatives. The stuff you find in white supermarkets tends to be closer to the Chinese method

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Ran by AI
kiwifarms.net
Country of origin also makes a difference on the soy sauce. Product of Japan has a milder and less salty flavor than the Chinese version and derivatives. The stuff you find in white supermarkets tends to be closer to the Chinese method
That’s true. It seems like American stuff just has so much salt and sugar in it.
I’d recommend checking out Asian supermarkets if they’re in your area. They can have some fantastic stuff you won’t find in most other stores, especially if they have a good produce section.

Last edited:

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Three Wise men

Take a double shot sized shot glass and fill with equal parts Jim beam, Jack Daniels and Johnny walker whiskey. Serve on the rocks

The Sinatra

Jack straight in a double shot glass with a little Evian water to lighten the flavor served on the rocks just like how ole blue eyes would have taken it.

Stuck in Corners

guuurrrl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cream Cheese Pie

2 sticks of cream cheese at room temp
1-1.5 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of lemon juice without the pulp
1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
Graham cracker crust

It's simple. Just mix ingredients 1-4 into a bowl and mix until smooth. Place it in Graham cracker crust and put it in your freezer for about 5 hours.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
Cumin Potatoes
  • Potatoes
  • Cumin
  • Turmeric
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Salt
  • Black Mustard Seeds (optional)
  • Cilantro
Cut 5 to 6 potatoes into home fries (2 inches long, about a half inch thick), and boil until tender. Drain and cool

Heat some oil in a large pan. If using the black mustard seed, heat them until they start popping. Add 2 tbsp each of cumin and turmeric and a very generous pinch of salt. Toss potatoes so all of them are covered by the spice mix and cook until a crust forms on the bottom. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro. Accompanies curries especially well