KiwiOS - Linux pre-setup for Kiwis or, if you like, AutismOS

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
Strange. Should default to a slightly stripped down but entirely functional version of the Ubiquity installer.
I ran it in bash and got a bevy of syntax errors. I'm guessing something didn't get sanitized properly. I'll troubleshoot later, but for now could you test it's boot time on your lower end devices?

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I ran it in bash and got a bevy of syntax errors. I'm guessing something didn't get sanitized properly. I'll troubleshoot later, but for now could you test it's boot time on your lower end devices?
It'll have to be sometime tonight then, got some shit to do today.

lasciateognesperanza

kiwifarms.net
1565717903000.png
ok fixed: it sucks, it doesn't use SystemD, it has Guix as a package manager and it has XFCEses, Gnome and i3 (press F1 on the user login menu and it should let you choose i think)

right now i'm looking into a way to put a specific wallpaper in all DE's, but there doesn't seem to be such command, i'm sure as fuck that i won't fork Gnome/XFCE just to set a wallpaper at startup

also i fucked up something and i'm recompiling another image that will be uploaded somewhere

Looney Troons

Certified Ethical Troon-Hater
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a fun idea. Not sure if I’d use it for anything other than the novelty (can’t take me off Cent or Parrot), but I’ll gladly tinker around with it.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 889149
ok fixed: it sucks, it doesn't use SystemD, it has Guix as a package manager and it has XFCEses, Gnome and i3 (press F1 on the user login menu and it should let you choose i think)

right now i'm looking into a way to put a specific wallpaper in all DE's, but there doesn't seem to be such command, i'm sure as fuck that i won't fork Gnome/XFCE just to set a wallpaper at startup

also i fucked up something and i'm recompiling another image that will be uploaded somewhere
Let's just hope it's normie friendly enough. Remember they're the target audience. You think they'll be able to configure their shit in lisp?

Give Her The D

cute bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ever thought about maintaining a repository to put a few packages for KiwiOS? I mean, I doubt it'll be that much of anything but I bet Josh could set you up a VPS for the repository.

lasciateognesperanza

kiwifarms.net
Let's just hope it's normie friendly enough. Remember they're the target audience. You think they'll be able to configure their shit in lisp?
don't think of lisp as some wizardry shit, it's actually really simple (well, Guix is)
Code:
(operating-system
  (locale "en_US.utf8")
  (timezone "Europe/Paris")
  (kernel KiwiOS)
  (firmware (append (list
         iwlwifi-firmware-nonfree)
            %base-firmware))

(keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "euro"))
  (bootloader
    (bootloader-configuration
      (bootloader grub-bootloader)
      (target "/dev/sda")
      (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)
      (theme %kiwi-theme)))

(file-systems
   (cons*
    (file-system
     (mount-point "/")
     (device (file-system-label "a-root"))
     (type "ext4"))
    %base-file-systems))
  (host-name "hell")
  (users (cons* (user-account
                  (name "kiwi")
                  (comment "virgin with rage")
                  (group "users")
                  (home-directory "/home/kiwi")
          (password (crypt "kiwi" "$6$abc"))
                  (supplementary-groups
                    '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video" "kvm")))
                %base-user-accounts))
  (packages
    (append
      (list openbox
            nss-certs
        i3-wm
        tor)
      %base-packages))

(services
    (append
     (list (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
       (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
       (service tor-service-type)
       (set-xorg-configuration
        (xorg-configuration
         (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
    %desktop-services)))
]

you don't need to be a scheme god to understand this

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
if I wanted to uninstall this how would I do it?
Just re-install your old operating system over it. (this deletes all your files, so back them up if you care)
(or if you want to get more technical and switch to a different linux distro, separate / from /home and then just overwrite / with a new OS; this preserves all your files, but back them up anyways just to be safe lol)

4str4staleatherbelt

AHHHHHH!
kiwifarms.net
Just re-install your old operating system over it. (this deletes all your files, so back them up if you care)
(or if you want to get more technical and switch to a different linux distro, separate / from /home and then just overwrite / with a new OS; this preserves all your files, but back them up anyways just to be safe lol)
I'm pretty sure you do not need to re-install your original OS after installing Linus/Windows if you have both on your computer/dual boot.

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure you do not need to re-install your original OS after installing Linus/Windows if you have both on your computer/dual boot.
If that's the case, just delete the linux partition and reallocate it to windows. Sorry, forgot people dual booted lol.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If that's the case, just delete the linux partition and reallocate it to windows. Sorry, forgot people dual booted lol.
Caveat: For Windows users, Linux modifies the boot record, this can mess it up, so have the Windows 7/10 installer rebuild the master boot record,then reboot and use Windows normally again.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
don't think of lisp as some wizardry shit, it's actually really simple
I know, and I'm a lisp fanatic. I cuddle with SICP and beat people over the head with Clojure.
1555886776667.png
You underestimate how averse to writing code the average lay user is, and how daunting all the parens are for them. Even developers get mildly nervous from them. I don't see what their problem is, though, it's perfectly fine in my opinion.
Why not even use NixOS for the configuration?
Because you want something as close as possible to a stock distro where if someone gets stuck they can google an answer. So while I hate *buntu I'll still default to it as a recommendation for beginners. Same goes for systemd.
On a side note, I remember reading about some broken dependencies in Guix, I don't know if its been resolved yet.

EDIT: I understand I'm coming off as an annoying naysayer and I really don't want to give this impression. I think the whole endeavor in this thread is worth while and the kiwis in it are doing the Omnissiah's work

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got the tests done, and I got the installer to run fine initially, seems all that really broke was the automatic install by clicking the installer, typing ubiquity into the terminal made it work fine, but it crashed towards the end.

The loading of the LiveCD works fine (very fast, in fact), and the custom theme with random quotes works well too, though the text need reduced in size somewhat, even on widescreens some quotes are too long. Either that, or a word wrapping function depending on desktop length.

The quotes also tend to bleed over running programs, that could cause some UI feature issues, here's a slightly ghetto screenshot of this issue:

test.jpg

Some "system error reported" messages come up if you try mess around with programs in LiveCD mode, and looking at the installer logs as it progressed, it seems ubiquity might have had some issues, the Calamares installer may need installed as a fallback option to sidestep this if this is the problem. (had some issues determining it should be drawing from Ubuntu 18.04 repositories according to the logs for the ubiquity installer)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: wylfım

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
Got the tests done, and I got the installer to run fine initially, seems all that really broke was the automatic install by clicking the installer, typing ubiquity into the terminal made it work fine, but it crashed towards the end.

The loading of the LiveCD works fine (very fast, in fact), and the custom theme with random quotes works well too, though the text need reduced in size somewhat, even on widescreens some quotes are too long. Either that, or a word wrapping function depending on desktop length.

The quotes also tend to bleed over running programs, that could cause some UI feature issues, here's a slightly ghetto screenshot of this issue:

View attachment 890077

Some "system error reported" messages come up if you try mess around with programs in LiveCD mode, and looking at the installer logs as it progressed, it seems ubiquity might have had some issues, the Calamares installer may need installed as a fallback option to sidestep this if this is the problem. (had some issues determining it should be drawing from Ubuntu 18.04 repositories according to the logs for the ubiquity installer)
Shit hit the fan at work so I haven't had time to look. There's no text wrapping functionality in Conky, so I'd have to shrink the text size. The reason it's on top of everything is because whatever DWM is at play here stops rendering it the minute you click on the desktop if it's not run as a dock window; I hadn't realized it was persisting over windows, though. I have a screenshot from right before I generated the liveCD, so I have an environment I can easily modify.

Reactions: The 8 of Spades
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino