Knowing what you know today, would you shut down the world in this situation? -

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
I assume you would then leave the world to the monkeys on your shoulders? Because if they happen to be the same sex, you're going to have a problem.
We are legion.

On a serious note. I feel like it would be roughly similar to when someone gets clean from drugs. At first they suffer, but afterwards they look back at their old selves with disgust.

Reactions: quatchi55

Vendetta™

In Vino Veritas
kiwifarms.net
Cynicism is for the weak.
Like I said, I try to be an optimist on principle, since humans have made it through some pretty shit situations. Society in general is doing pretty OK for the most part, just keep your head out of the news/politics.

Even so, it can be hard not to recognize a destructive pattern, and fixate on it though. In that sense, it feels a little more like....honesty/realism.

nagant 1895

kiwifarms.net
Hundo P yes. And not just to put a stop to degradation but to return people to a world where our actions and abilities have meaning and value. It makes me sick knowing that thousands of man hours a month are dedicated to choosing, photographing and reporting on Kim Kardashians choice of clothing. Not because I hate her or the people with so little going on in their lives they care about her but because I hate I hate the void inside them, I hate the creators of that void. I would gladly give up everything to see a world where nobody had room for that sort of thing in their lives.

Vorhtbame

The prettiest zombie-slayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pushing the reset button is a light thing to contemplate--until you remember the NICU in the local hospital. The accident victims and victims of violent crimes who need temporary but intensive medical attention. The people across the north who freeze to death this next winter. The food deserts in the cities. The millions of victims of this system you want to purge, not the people who created it.

And considering that the person pushing the button would be committing the single greatest atrocity in history...then the button would not have rid us of the worst bits of the modern world.

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net
Hundo P yes. And not just to put a stop to degradation but to return people to a world where our actions and abilities have meaning and value. It makes me sick knowing that thousands of man hours a month are dedicated to choosing, photographing and reporting on Kim Kardashians choice of clothing. Not because I hate her or the people with so little going on in their lives they care about her but because I hate I hate the void inside them, I hate the creators of that void. I would gladly give up everything to see a world where nobody had room for that sort of thing in their lives.
Then you hate human nature. Our oldest documents show that there was no fundamental difference between the mind of ancient man and the mind of you or I. The Greeks were infamous for idle gossip and fashion. A bronze merchant in Babylon was an infamous cheat and hoarded the tablets of complaint sent by his marks like precious stones. Egyptian priests cut admonishments on the idleness, drunkenness, and gambling nature of the youth into the chambers of the Great Pyramid. You could take all that has been made since we first walked upright and shatter it and you will still not free mankind of its flaws.

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
Well what frustrates me more than anything about the modern world, is that modern technology seems like it has gone from a useful tool for humanity, to an extreme version of panem et circenses. Take https://incels.co/ for example. More than likely, the vast majority of them are able to get out of their circumstances on their own, and the ones just stuck, could be getting helped by those whom aren't, but this never happens because they've formed a dependency on a social network only made possible by modern technology.

A more macro example would really be the baby boomer generation I suppose. A lot of the cultural decline in the west happened, because the baby boomers were too glued to their TVs to be properly involved in their children's lives. This caused kids to learn their values from their peers, rather than from a mature source.

Then you hate human nature. Our oldest documents show that there was no fundamental difference between the mind of ancient man and the mind of you or I. The Greeks were infamous for idle gossip and fashion. A bronze merchant in Babylon was an infamous cheat and hoarded the tablets of complaint sent by his marks like precious stones. Egyptian priests cut admonishments on the idleness, drunkenness, and gambling nature of the youth into the chambers of the Great Pyramid. You could take all that has been made since we first walked upright and shatter it and you will still not free mankind of its flaws.
There's always been a cyclical nature to the cohesiveness, and values of a society. The first person to observe this was likely Polybus with his theory of anacyclosis. This still doesn't change the fact that society does in many ways treat modern technology like a drug.

Last edited:

nagant 1895

kiwifarms.net
Pushing the reset button is a light thing to contemplate--until you remember the NICU in the local hospital. The accident victims and victims of violent crimes who need temporary but intensive medical attention. The people across the north who freeze to death this next winter. The food deserts in the cities. The millions of victims of this system you want to purge, not the people who created it.

And considering that the person pushing the button would be committing the single greatest atrocity in history...then the button would not have rid us of the worst bits of the modern world.
You've got a point and I don't have much of a counter point other than to say hitting the big button and just turning off the lights for a few years might be the more merciful option rather than waiting for then 100 years collapse into barbarism or worse yet the day when humanity boils over and wrecks the planet with pollution or nuclear war.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino