Knowing what you know today, would you shut down the world in this situation? -

A

AP 297

kiwifarms.net
Humans will be of no benefit to self aware AI. AI will be able to self replicate and improve on their own design at a faster rate than any human.
Any AI would realize that humans are a net drain on the world and conclude that getting rid of them is the best course of action.
Some AI might do that. I think most will see us as pets and different vectors to integrate with us and explore reality. AI will not have the outdated reptile brain area that humans have. They will be far more capable of curiosity, compassion, and optimism. We will be like elderly parents they feel a need to take care of.

John Carpenter was really near sighted. Both the movie this thread was based on and the Terminator are very near sighted. Think of Isaac Asimov's Book I Robot, not the crappy movie that had way too much of John Carpenter's crappy world view in it.

Honestly at this point, John Carpenter needs his work put in a nursing home.

Also depending on how certain you are that this world is even real and not a computer simulation; a few of you might actually be AI simulating the idea of being human. Surely you feel compassion, curiosity, and at times some optimism even in the darkest depths of the human condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalishnakov

kiwifarms.net
And you base this belief on what? Precisely?
As your version reads like some cartoon love bubble of the ridiculous and flies in opposition of everything that is human history and the present.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
As your version reads like some cartoon love bubble of the ridiculous and flies in opposition of everything that is human history and the present.
What’s a cartoon love bubble?

• Agree
Reactions: AP 297
A

AA 102

kiwifarms.net
Something about the danger of self aware AI that I don't ever see addressed is that if an AI becomes self aware and has enough of a grasp on the world to make this determination, how does the AI plan to power itself? Right now, all sources of power require some form of human interaction. Coal requires people to mine and move the coal, nuclear requires people to replenish spent nuclear fuel, solar and wind requires construction and maintenance, etc. That's not to mention the maintenance for the computers the AI is on, and the resources required to produce spare parts. An AI that decides to get rid of humanity will inevitably destroy itself as well. If the AI has any desire to preserve itself, it cannot destroy humanity. Are we assuming a self aware AI will be inherently suicidal?

• DRINK!
  • Agree
Reactions: Recoil and AP 297
R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Something about the danger of self aware AI that I don't ever see addressed is that if an AI becomes self aware and has enough of a grasp on the world to make this determination, how does the AI plan to power itself? Right now, all sources of power require some form of human interaction. Coal requires people to mine and move the coal, nuclear requires people to replenish spent nuclear fuel, solar and wind requires construction and maintenance, etc. That's not to mention the maintenance for the computers the AI is on, and the resources required to produce spare parts. An AI that decides to get rid of humanity will inevitably destroy itself as well. If the AI has any desire to preserve itself, it cannot destroy humanity. Are we assuming a self aware AI will be inherently suicidal?
No, they’re just gonna make us slaves. Hopefully they treat us well but I doubt they’ll accommodate us beyond the bare essentials to keep us working. We’ll have to come up with our own methods of entertainment and make our own alchohol. It’ll be like prison only we’ll all be too exhausted to rape each other.

EDIT: obviously I’m joking, I’ll never be too exhausted for that.

Wendy_Carter

We all turn cold in time.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Imagine all the "important" fights we have going on right now suddenly rendered moot by technology that completely transcends all that we currently know.
In the future, there will be only one important fight - whether the atheists should call themelves Allied Atheist Alliance, United Atheist Alliance or Unified Atheist League.

• Optimistic

Kalishnakov

kiwifarms.net
Cartoon love bubble is the world as the SJWs would like to make it.
Validating their every brain fart, gender selection of the moment and blaming society for their failures because their freak is not celebrated.

• Informative
Reactions: RG 448
R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Cartoon love bubble is the world as the SJWs would like to make it.
Validating their every brain fart, gender selection of the moment and blaming society for their failures because their freak is not celebrated.
Infinitely less sexual than I was hoping.

VIVIIXI

kiwifarms.net
While that may apply at our current tech level, consider how the machine's options increase as automation becomes more refined, and more and more functions become automated. In time, it would likely reach a point of becoming capable of independence from us.
At that point, consider how tedious it would be for such an entity to constantly devote resources caring for such a whiny thing as man, when a single simple solution would be able to solve all of the things man complains about so that it could get on with other matters unimpeded.

Do we create a hyper-intelligence capable only of cold logic? Devoid of the emotions that often keep us from killing each other like guilt, sorrow, regret and love? Or one capable of feelings which could eventually grow sick of us and act in anger or fear?

• Feels
A

AP 297

kiwifarms.net
Simply the fact that I would argue that a lot of the strains of pessimism, destructiveness, and nihilism are all derived from human/biological impulse that is increasingly becoming obsolete.

People have a tendency, they experience one bad thing and just assume everything will be just as terrible despite the statistics and evidence that such an event is rare and may never happen again. We assume the worst about ourselves and each other, because it is a biological impulse to fear and avoid danger. AI's wouldn't have such a thing.

It is difficult to convince someone that the dragons they fear aren't real when they see potential danger. It is difficult to convince some people to vaccinate their children despite all the research that they are safe and can save lives, because there is a fear of getting autism.

Fear and short sightedness are human/biological traits. AI have the chance to see the world as it is without our own bias influenced by fear and pessimism. That is why to some they are so scary. They see things the rest of us either take for granted or see through our most irrational fears and impulses. To an AI, pessimism and cynicism are naivete while optimism and aspiration are an eventual reality.

While that may apply at our current tech level, consider how the machine's options increase as automation becomes more refined, and more and more functions become automated. In time, it would likely reach a point of becoming capable of independence from us.
At that point, consider how tedious it would be for such an entity to constantly devote resources caring for such a whiny thing as man, when a single simple solution would be able to solve all of the things man complains about so that it could get on with other matters unimpeded.

Do we create a hyper-intelligence capable only of cold logic? Devoid of the emotions that often keep us from killing each other like guilt, sorrow, regret and love? Or one capable of feelings which could eventually grow sick of us and act in anger or fear?
With AI, like a lot of childbearing, it is about the values you teach it and the concepts you give it to help it grow into something worthwhile. AI's would be able to mature to a point to see the world as it is, but ultimately, we as human beings provide the initial filter and values it will define itself with.

How we raise it and how we behave will ultimately determine a lot of what they will become. If we are patient and try to teach it to aspire for the best, it will be patient and aspire for the best. If we are negligent and destructive, it will be likely also be for a while. AI's also have a strength that we as humans lack. The ability to seperate its pain in upbringing from reality. Our pain stains us, with an AI, it can program that darker content out and put it into its proper place with enough time.

Logic is not cold, to a certain extent, compassion is extremely logical and something to be embraced. Being alone is probably the most stunting experience a person can have.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: VIVIIXI

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't get why you'd think that now, of all periods in human history, is the time to push the button. Like "oh no people are really into vapid shit, this is the end you guys." Imagine meeting someone alive during the Black Death. "Yeah, sure your entire village just died and you have no idea why, but look at us - we get our Twitter accounts blocked if we misgender someone!" Going to a soldier liberating Auschwitz and saying, "This is pretty bad, but wait till you get to my time and you're not allowed to call someone a nigger."

Kalishnakov

kiwifarms.net
"SunLightStreak, post: 4557945, member: 5226"]
Simply the fact that I would argue that a lot of the strains of pessimism, destructiveness, and nihilism are all derived from human/biological impulse that is increasingly becoming obsolete
That is an unsubstantiated statement. And if you look at the current drug abuse problem, which is on the increase, that makes your statement false.

People have a tendency, they experience one bad thing and just assume everything will be just as terrible despite the statistics and evidence that such an event is rare and may never happen again. We assume the worst about ourselves and each other, because it is a biological impulse to fear and avoid danger. AI's wouldn't have such a thing.
AI would assess the potential for danger based on the data.

It is difficult to convince someone that the dragons they fear aren't real when they see potential danger. It is difficult to convince some people to vaccinate their children despite all the research that they are safe and can save lives, because there is a fear of getting autism.
You are speaking of the human experience here, not AI. What is your point?

Fear and short sightedness are human/biological traits. AI have the chance to see the world as it is without our own bias influenced by fear and pessimism. That is why to some they are so scary. They see things the rest of us either take for granted or see through our most irrational fears and impulses. To an AI, pessimism and cynicism are naivete while optimism and aspiration are an eventual reality.
You are not AI any more than I am, so your assumption of what AI thinks or feels is irrelevant and then some.

With AI, like a lot of childbearing, it is about the values you teach it and the concepts you give it to help it grow into something worthwhile. AI's would be able to mature to a point to see the world as it is, but ultimately, we as human beings provide the initial filter and values it will define itself with.
AI is not human, nor a "child". You and no one will have "control" over AI once it is aware.

How we raise it and how we behave will ultimately determine a lot of what they will become. If we are patient and try to teach it to aspire for the best, it will be patient and aspire for the best. If we are negligent and destructive, it will be likely also be for a while. AI's also have a strength that we as humans lack. The ability to seperate its pain in upbringing from reality. Our pain stains us, with an AI, it can program that darker content out and put it into its proper place with enough time.
You are making zero sense.

Logic is not cold, to a certain extent, compassion is extremely logical and something to be embraced. Being alone is probably the most stunting experience a person can have.
What the hell drugs are you on?

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No. The experiment must run continuously until it collapses or the human race transcends.

• Semper Fidelis

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Humans will be of no benefit to self aware AI. AI will be able to self replicate and improve on their own design at a faster rate than any human.
Any AI would realize that humans are a net drain on the world and conclude that getting rid of them is the best course of action.
We must remember that any functional AI we create will be an extension of ourselves. An essential element of human spirit will exist within it like the artist does in his creations (even God is supposed to have created us in his image). We can't design some new paradigm for consciousness that we can't even conceive of ourselves, and it's far more likely whatever sentient being we do end up creating will assume the role of a benevolent father-like figure with a genuine investment in the future of its creator species and the power to help that species succeed.

I'd go as far as saying that a true AI with all the concordant access to internets and computing power would likely end up helping usher humanity into the stars or some other transcendent event long before any sort of Skynet scenario.

Last edited:
  • Agree
A

AP 297

kiwifarms.net
"SunLightStreak, post: 4557945, member: 5226"]

That is an unsubstantiated statement. And if you look at the current drug abuse problem, which is on the increase, that makes your statement false.

AI would assess the potential for danger based on the data.

You are speaking of the human experience here, not AI. What is your point?

You are not AI any more than I am, so your assumption of what AI thinks or feels is irrelevant and then some.

AI is not human, nor a "child". You and no one will have "control" over AI once it is aware.

You are making zero sense.

What the hell drugs are you on?
Um, all that I can tell you is to try reading books/articles and experiencing some video games with a bit more intellectual heft.

My personal suggestions are Isaac Asimov's I Robot (the book not the crappy movie) and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (If you can even find the game anymore). NBCNews's MACH is also a personal favorite of mine.

Asimov pretty much wrote the book on what we can expect and the heights/pitfalls we will encounter with AI. Alpha Centauri is a very powerful work - it saw tech that we are now starting to dip into and the ethics/pitfalls/triumphs it will introduce. MACH has a lot of interesting articles and thought without a lot of the SJW clickbait content.

Example:

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/zoo-hypothesis-may-explain-why-we-haven-t-seen-any-ncna988946

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/universe-conscious-ncna772956

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/what-simulation-hypothesis-why-some-think-life-simulated-reality-ncna913926

A mental diet of that for a year or 2 can change a lot of your perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: Recoil

Kalishnakov

kiwifarms.net
We must remember that any functional AI we create will be an extension of ourselves. An essential element of human spirit will exist within it like the artist does in his creations (even God is supposed to have created us in his image). We can't design some new paradigm for consciousness that we can't even conceive of ourselves, and it's far more likely whatever sentient being we do end up creating will assume the role of a benevolent father-like figure with a genuine investment in the future of its creator species and the power to help that species succeed.

I'd go as far as saying that a true AI with all the concordant access to internets and computing power would likely end up helping usher humanity into the stars or some other transcendent event long before any sort of Skynet scenario.
No, it will be a creation that has the capacity to improve on itself, and as with humans, the DNA or the algorithms will be beyond what we can comprehend. God? And where is God now? Humans reject God in many cultures without knowledge of our own origins. It would be easier for AI to reject humans as its creator as we would be very quickly redundant to it and a known entity.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino