Kreia's philosophy -

Lemmingwise

Welcome home
kiwifarms.net
20 seconds in. "One of the most interesting and fleshed out characters in gaming"

Uh-huh.

So @sweet-cereal-killer

Can you give a one paragraph explanation of what you understand this Kreia's philosophy to be?
Give us something to work with that doesn't take an hour of a video to dissect.

Lemmingwise

Welcome home
kiwifarms.net
This reads more like a meditation on power than philosophy. Some of the "shoulds" are purely utilitarian. like the tips on how to manipulate a crowd. Might as well add a "remember to flush the toilet to prevent your house from smelling dirty" in there while you're at it.

Also, if you're not going to depend on others for power, you're always going to be an island, isolated. You can't really be a ruler without depending on others for power, so her saying that is just some braggadacio.

If you always let people fight their own battles, you're basicly arguing for a pure hierarchy based on power. After all we wouldn't want police to fight your battles for you when you get jumped by a bunch of gangbangers, would we?

I rate it 3/10, at least it's not incoherent.

If you're interested in philosophies, next time find one with a stronger moral framework.

sweet-cereal-killer

If it weren't for tea we would all be savages.
kiwifarms.net
If you always let people fight their own battles, you're basicly arguing for a pure hierarchy based on power. After all we wouldn't want police to fight your battles for you when you get jumped by a bunch of gangbangers, would we?
Even if Kreia's philosophy is difficult (if not impossible) to put in practice it's also true that when you allow the police to protect you instead of protecting yourself that gives more power to the state.

Also, if you're not going to depend on others for power, you're always going to be an island, isolated. You can't really be a ruler without depending on others for power, so her saying that is just some braggadacio.
Well, in real life we don't really have the Force. I think that if you apply her philosophy to real life it would be something like, don't rely on power that you achieve by climbing a hierarchy where you are rewarded by following the leader and playing by their rules but where you alone are no one, and instead learn to be as self sufficient from hierarchies as much as you can even if you are in one.

ie. the employee who has gotten to a leadership position by working for that company most of his life has less "power" than an employee who got that job because he knows the right people or has other skills. In other words, don't play by the rules of the hierarchy, make the hierarchy play by your rules. Something like that. Kreia would also say that by playing into someone's vices and making them dependent on you you have more power over them than if it was a quid pro quo relationship or where they would tell you to do something and pay you for it and you are dependent on them paying you or not.

Lemmingwise

Welcome home
kiwifarms.net
Even if Kreia's philosophy is difficult (if not impossible) to put in practice it's also true that when you allow the police to protect you instead of protecting yourself that gives more power to the state.
This is the strangest thing I've read today and I've read the little einstein larp. You're worried about police stopping a gang from robbing, attacking or killing you because it would give power to the state?

ie. the employee who has gotten to a leadership position by working for that company most of his life has less "power" than an employee who got that job because he knows the right people or has other skills
This is arguing for the opposite than what the philosophy set out. If you know the right people and that gets you a job, then how does your power not derive from other people?

If this kind of meditations on power interests you, why not read Machiavelli or even just 48 laws of power?

Last edited:

sweet-cereal-killer

kiwifarms.net
This is the strangest thing I've read today and I've read the little einstein larp. You're worried about police stopping a gang from robbing, attacking or killing you because it would give power to the state?
No, I am saying that power is having the monopoly of (legitimate) violence. Same idea behind gun control. I'm not saying I don't think the police shouldn't exist or protect you either.

This is arguing for the opposite than what the philosophy set out. If you know the right people and that gets you a job, then how does your power not derive from other people?
(Note that I am not an expert on philosophy much less Kreia's). I think that that is achieved by not depending on just one or a few people that belong all to the same group. Picking no sides.
One of the things Kreia says is that at the end of the day the Jedi are just ordinary men and women who'd be powerless without the force and their swords. She thinks the Sith is chaos because you can have no allies, you just use people for power.
I think... Kreia's idea is to have your own goals instead of living just for power or others and don't be as loyal and altruistic as the Jedi but not as manipulative and power hungry as the Sith (or use Sith tricks for good). Something like that. You gain power by being loyal to yourself and your ideas and never to a particular group.

Which is why you shouldn't rely on a philosophy ascribed by a fictional character. Star Wars is a world where true power LITERALLY comes from inside you (Or medichlorians or some shit I dunno.)
It's a metaphor.

Webby's Boyfriend

I'm Webby
kiwifarms.net
Taking pseudo-profound crap from a pulp sci-fantasy videogame serious is really autistic. Kreia is a fictional character from a game and only says what the writers (probably high-functioning neckbeards) made her say what they did only as a plot device and to make characters and the setting more believable. This thread is something CWC could come up with.

In short: OP is a faggot.

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
It's a metaphor.
How is that metaphor in a universe where people can conjure lightning and acts of telekinesis from within themselves? Its not metaphor if its literally factual. "True Power comes from within" takes on a completely different meaning when you're clairvoyant and can project your image across worlds.

ALSO

No, I am saying that power is having the monopoly of (legitimate) violence.
Why is power limited to "Legitimate violence" and who determines legitimacy? Your conception of "Power" seems really simplistic. Some would say power is having the capacity/ability to affect change and can thus be manifested under a variety of circumstances in a variety of ways. Why needlessly limit yourself to power being purely a matter of violent action?

Last edited:
LOL jesus good to see there are people with more crippling autism than myself.

OP, you forgot to tell anyone who the fuck Kreia is. All the posters in the thread seem to know anyway...

Kreia's philosophy is "Haha I'm contrarian". There are a number of quests where she gives you shit no matter which way you solve it. Give money to a begger? Oh, of course, he gets mugged and murdered. Don't give him money? Some other bad thing happens to him. Either way it's your fault for choosing wrong.

It was a fun game and all, but a straw nihilist magic space wizard is one of the stupidest possible sources for a good philosophy.

sweet-cereal-killer

kiwifarms.net
Kreia's philosophy is "Haha I'm contrarian". There are a number of quests where she gives you shit no matter which way you solve it. Give money to a begger? Oh, of course, he gets mugged and murdered. Don't give him money? Some other bad thing happens to him. Either way it's your fault for choosing wrong.
She does have a point on the beggar situation. It shows that there is no "good" way to go about it. Kreia's whole premise is to show that the world isn't black and white, I think that situation illustrates it well. There's should be a 3rd option where you point the beggar to the next unemployement center or send them on an errand where you can pay him and win something but I guess the idea behind the beggar situation was just to make the point that neither Jedi or Sith ideology would help you there.

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net

We have faggots using Star Wars for philosophy even though there hasn't been a good movie in about 40 years.

>It's basically some Ayn Rand-light faggotry.

Hey, I mean at least no one's ever really gone

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
Kreia is such a well written character. It doesn't matter if her philosophy is fictional, it makes sense in the game. Of course no one can't use it irl.

Bum Driller

Cultural Appropriator & Cowboy Chemist
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes fictional stories and setting contain interesting and novel ideas that might be used as inspiration for real-world thought on how things are. The point being "used as inspiration". Star Wars is really shitty fiction to begin with, and if you take something directly and literally out of there and try to make it work in real world...it just doesn't work. At best you might get your head wrapped around it so hard that you believe it works, and from that point there is not a long road to the mental asylum.

As far as the "real world influences" behind this "Kreia's philosophy", I would hazard a guess that someone has read some Satanic Bible, and perhaps one or two paragraphs out of the "Might is Right". Both are shit, for more reasons than I care to go in to here.

Sometimes fictional stories and setting contain interesting and novel ideas that might be used as inspiration for real-world thought on how things are. The point being "used as inspiration". Star Wars is really shitty fiction to begin with, and if you take something directly and literally out of there and try to make it work in real world...it just doesn't work. At best you might get your head wrapped around it so hard that you believe it works, and from that point there is not a long road to the mental asylum.

As far as the "real world influences" behind this "Kreia's philosophy", I would hazard a guess that someone has read some Satanic Bible, and perhaps one or two paragraphs out of the "Might is Right". Both are shit, for more reasons than I care to go in to here.
Some of it was also basic utilitarianism.

But yeah, it was sophomoric nihilism. Fitting, given she was an evil space wizard trying to brainwash the protagonist into killing her? (I admit, its been a while since I played, I don't quite recall Kreia's motivation when you go dark side)

If you're not an evil space wizard trying to train an apprentice to eventually murder you, it's probably not the best philosophy to follow.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino