La Palma is rumbling - What are the implications of a 40 foot Tsunami along the east coast?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

The golden neckbeard

Web 1.0 Archaeologist and Professor of Goon study
kiwifarms.net
La Palma is an island off the coast of Africa that is theorized if it were to collapse, it would send tidal waves all over the world, some reaching over 1000 ft high in areas of Spain and Africa. Wild Seismic activity happening today which could result in the islands collapse which has been hanging on by a thread for several thousand years

TLDR: ancient volcano is suddenly alive and Helium 3 was detected indicating Magma is moving to the surface and thousands of earthquakes have occurred in the last 48 hours. Highly unusual for swarms like this to occur so close to the surface.

Could be a happening.

Depths are getting shallower as we speak . 2.1 magnitude at 7 km and 2.4 magnitude at 8 km just minutes ago

Very bad day if you are on that island trying to sleep right now

If the Island collapsed how long would I have?

Geologists have been talking about this island collapsing for along time. The Catalyst was always a swarm and re-activation of the magma chambers below...which appears to be happening.

Fortunately people along the East conus would have several hours heads up so this wouldn't be a sudden thing.

You may want to have a bug out bag with some chef boyardee, cash and medication ready to go and a full gas tank if this continues.

Its flying under the radar right now but several tinfoil and actual geology discussion websites are sounding the alarm today. Even /Pol has a general.

And finally...
Nothing will happen
That maybe but its worth watching

Attachments

• (Isla_de_la_Palma)_La_Palma_&_La_Gomera_Islands,_Canary_Islands_(cropped).jpg
    (Isla_de_la_Palma)_La_Palma_&_La_Gomera_Islands,_Canary_Islands_(cropped).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot 2021-09-13 201445.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-13 201445.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:

Menotaur

"Listen,Interior Decorators don't scare me fella."
kiwifarms.net
I've was researching this years ago and looked at it in-depth.

Yes indeed, a collapse of the sheer face will most certainly cause immense water displacement and the threat is quite real. Of course, the tell tale signs are exactly those being reported? Which does not mean it will happen, but it is a possibility. I googled but didn't see anything of note.

Got a link?

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
What do they mean by "collapse"? As in disappear into the waves, or disintegrate due to volcanic activity?
1/3 of the Island is barely hanging on and is predicted to Slide off into the ocean. Check out the attachment i post in OP it shows the area's.
it shouldn't be something to not sleep over.
Certainly not but its worth watching. I completely disagree with your assessment on that Tsunami. A relatively small displacement the size of the world trade centers created the 2011 Japanese Tsunami and this would be many magnitudes greater than that. Yes the Wave will dissipate as it comes to the new world but it may not go away alltogether

Menotaur

kiwifarms.net
What do they mean by "collapse"? As in disappear into the waves, or disintegrate due to volcanic activity?
You may recall a great tidal wave happened in Alaska when essentially a side of a mountain slid into the lake. High waves. This island - well what you see on the surface is just the tip, the "mountain" goes dow deep so if it collapses and the piece they believe can slide, does slid the island won't be gone but a 5-10 mile section would.

The displacement would most certainly send a wave of biblical proportions to the East Coast. Not the stuff of building falling, but deaths would be plenty and the damage would be insane. it would bankrupt insurance companies.

The damage would dwarf any hurricane and it would be a natural disaster on a scale we have not seen in recorded history probably.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
I've was researching this years ago and looked at it in-depth.

Yes indeed, a collapse of the sheer face will most certainly cause immense water displacement and the threat is quite real. Of course, the tell tale signs are exactly those being reported? Which does not mean it will happen, but it is a possibility. I googled but didn't see anything of note.

Got a link?

No it doesn't mean anything will happen. But its worth watching.

The golden neckbeard

kiwifarms.net
Top my fanfiction:

The Tsunami is channeled directly into the mouth of Chesapeake bay, and completely destroys both DC and Baltimore.

Thats actually what would happen.
The only thing that's gonna disintegrate is our tax dollars becase "aid"
Countries dont recover from catstrophes like this if it happened You couldnt even collect taxes because the IRS and treasury would be gone....

Your money would instantly be worthless. The only thing that matters is wether you have a gun and fishing pole

Menotaur

kiwifarms.net
Too many quakes right now to post it .Latest was 2.7 at 8 km depth

Happening every 1 to 3 minutes.

Very serouis shit going on underneath that island

I found the link and it is rather interesting - some of these earthquake swarms are starting to get to significant levels that it is going to warrant some serious attention if they start hitting around the 4.0 region; but we have to remember that it would likely be a sudden collapse with very little forewarning at all.

There is just no way to predict which tremor/quake would set it off. Despite the threat, The fault that has been found is likely not to grow and grow and grow and then collapse, but reach a point of inertia and then just completely snap - more akin to breaking a piece of steel than a branch.

The depth of the shocks is what is most unsettling as this is the right depth to trigger a top-down collapse. But remember it might take 10,000 years of weekly shocks to sheer it off, or it could be tomorrow morning. No one knows and the models can only predict consequence of the sheer at various levels rather than model what would trigger it precisely in order to predict.

I'll keep the link open.

Although terribly unlikely, a full scale collapse of the sheer area would be a 5-15 trillion dollar catastrophe.

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net

altar ego

kiwifarms.net
This is interesting, I'd never heard of this volcano and its theoretical destructive potential. Whether the model of it being highly destructive even as far away as North America will hold up seems to be debatable depending on who you ask on the internet, but sensationalism and fearmongering aside it does seem to have potential as a happening if the current quake storm continues.

Currently at a Yellow alert due to the strength and shallowness of the quakes which are theorized to suggest magma is close to the surface, if I'm reading it all correctly.

If it were to blow and be as destructive as the worst case scenarios, it seems like the US coastline would have somewhere around 8 hours to GTFO which is definitely far too little time to evacuate the big east coast cities and like the entire state of Florida, but also more than enough time for people to know it's coming and (rightfully) freak the fuck out because they gonna die in a wall of water. Which I can't help but think would be simultaneously frightening, horrific, and fascinating in that "everyone slows down on the highway to look at the car crash" thing that human nature makes us want to do, at least until it actually hits the coast and destroys the power infrastructure.

Important to note, La Palma is far from the only scenario where large amounts of the US (or anywhere) would have a Bad Time because of a major quake or eruption by any means so I'm not sure this is the sort of thing one should let keep up at night, as it's utterly not preventable or really escapable for the vast majority of people it would impact. It'd be like worrying about the bullet from a gun that hasn't been manufactured yet, but might be tomorrow. Honestly if you live on the east coast US you should already be familiar with the feeling of dread.