Lead Producer of Anthem AND the next Dragon Age left Bioware - Tumbling down, tumbling down

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This was Ben from E3 only a few weeks back (apologies about the spicy edits - this was the best one I could find)

It was pretty obvious even back then this guy was burnt out with Bioware and sick of EA's bullshit.

HavenlyKingdom

kiwifarms.net
I mean, isn't being a producer just the money man? How much can that affect DA4 more that being under BioWare development is doing already?

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, isn't being a producer just the money man? How much can that affect DA4 more that being under BioWare development is doing already?
Game producers tend to have a hold over what things are prioritized in game development. Essentially how much of the budget gets spent where. He's also the one who is usually to blame when a game gets delayed or if it ships rushed. He doesn't have any actual control over the money since EA's floating the cost. Producers do have a big effect on the development of the game, at times more than the actual game director, because they can usually veto things like a particular level being in the game or a character.

Scarlett Johansson

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall, China-hating lesbian.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A protagonist with hideous casual wear? Typical of every ME/DA game.

Catgirl IRL

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there any evidence EA are responsible for this shit? All accounts I've read, including the post mortem of Anthem, indicate EA is generally hands off and pretty fucking tolerant overall.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there any evidence EA are responsible for this shit? All accounts I've read, including the post mortem of Anthem, indicate EA is generally hands off and pretty fucking tolerant overall.
Bioware itself is clearly incompetent but I doubt that they'd have made their single player RPGs into "games as service" with tacked on multiplayer on their own.

Deus Ex Macarena

Lift Off For Love
kiwifarms.net
We all know what's gonna happen to Bioware within the next year. No more Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or good Star Wars games from EA.

1566383344448.png

Absolutego

Making dough but not enough to blow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
EA's contribution to Bioware's decline has mostly been indirect, mismanagement on the part of the studio is more to blame. The first three games they made entirely under EA ownership (ME2, DA2, ME3) were all on pretty brutal production schedules (which may have been EA's fault, I don't know) and Bioware's approach to solving that problem was to throw money and manpower at it, which ballooned the studio to something like 4-5x as many people as it had been before that and completely changed the creative culture.

Old guard guys who saw where the wind was blowing in terms of aiming for mainstream accessibility/shipping obsessives on tumblr started making their exits, and the people replacing them weren't nearly as experienced, nor as talented in making Bioware-style games. Because EA was foisting Frostbite on them for Cisquisition they got a slightly more relaxed development schedule to learn the new toolset, but by then it was already apparent the new generation of Bioware devs were lolcows.

tbh EA being hands off burned them in the end. A publisher who wanted to milk a series for all its worth wouldn't have signed off on Mac Walters effectively blowing up the franchise just so ME3 could have an edgy ending.

Scarlett Johansson

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall, China-hating lesbian.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't understand why we couldn't ever have long hair. Its not THAT hard especially when ya got Miranda, Ashley, Aveline, and Isabella.

Sera had the worst hair

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
EA clearly had a hand in guiding Anthem's development however Bioware dug their own grave with the game due to their managerial incompetence. Since Dragon Age Inquisition (this was the first game to have devs outright speak out about its troubled development but it most likely happened earlier with ME3 and DA2) Bioware has become very disinterested in planning their projects out realistically. With DAI one of the reasons why the game was so repetitive had to do with how much of the final game was only made in the last year of development, most of the development time was wasted because they came up with ideas that didn't pan out. And the development staff just assumed the game would be great because Bioware up until that point hadn't released a "bad game" and they had "Bioware magic". DAI was a financial success so this indirectly led to them continuing this with ME:A and Anthem

With ME:A and Anthem Bioware deliberately planned for a crunch period which mostly happened throughout its development. With ME:A they had tons of ideas that they completely threw out and like with DAI much of the finished game was only made in the last year. The facial animations look that way due to Bioware outsourcing them to a studio in Eastern Europe that used reality capture software. Most likely they were going for something akin to LA Noire which used a similar technology, but it was completely unfinished and they couldn't delay the game any longer.

With Anthem the game was completely different in its earlier stage. It had a different name "Beyond" that wasn't changed until the E3 reveal of it when they discovered they couldn't acquire the trademark for it. It was also a very different game, one where it was more akin to Shadow of the Colossus. You would venture out of a home base location into this alien landscape that required power armor to traverse and you'd assault these giant enemies. This was all cut due to technological issues with the Frostbite engine and because EA kept moving developers from Anthem to work on other games like FIFA. The game wasn't turned into a looter shooter until its final year of development where they scrambled to actually finish it. Most of the developers had no idea what kind of game they were making until its gameplay reveal at E3. They also used the term "Bioware Magic" to justify how the game would eventually come together in its final hours which of course didn't happen.

EA turning DA4 into a Games as a Service thing only makes sense from their perspective since that's where EA makes most of its revenue, and every attempt recently Bioware has made to create expensive big budget singleplayer games has failed financially. It's no wonder people are leaving the sinking ship.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Fuck bioware, i"m never buying any of their games again. I've been burnt by the last two games they've put out and i"m looking forward to the game Greedfall by a smaller studio, single player game, that reminds me of the early days of Mass Effect and Dragon Age without all the bullshit tossed into the series to appease blue check marks on twitter, make the gameplay less about story and characters and more about Live Service/$$$, and having NO consistency across games when telling a story (Mass Effect 1/2 vs 3, Dragon Age 1 vs 2) instead throwing random shit at the screen to make shit stick. Their quality has gone down the proverbial shitter and for that I'm taking my $$$ and going home to weep on my Preorder Guardian Mega Edition of Anthem....

Gravityqueen4life

kiwifarms.net
bioware went to shit after mass effect 2. im sure EA played a big role but im starting to think bioware share some of the blame by simply just being incompetent. it makes me mad since dragon age had the potential too still be a good series even after the shitfest that was dragon age 2 but holy hell, inquisition made me go to sleep while playing it and all these forced SJW garbage did not help either. as soon as the founders left, i knew the dream was over. anthem is only 6 months old and its already forgotten. atleast people still remember follout 76.