Legacy controls -

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else use legacy controls for first person games? I started playing Wolfenstein and Doom back in the day, when the default was that up and down arrow keys would move forward and back, left and right arrow keys would turn left or right, and strafes were done with the left hand. There was no looking up or down in first person titles from that generation. When Goldeneye came out for N64, the default controls replicated this scheme, left stick moved forward and back, and turned, while C buttons strafed and looked up and down. I played the shit out of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to the point that when games switched over to the new standard of one stick looks, one stick moves I was (and still am) completely unable to adjust. Unfortunately, lazy ass development studios typically don't include legacy as an option any more, so I've missed out on dozens of well-regarded first person titles over the years.

Anyone else still rock legacy controls?

Exigent Circumcisions

Post tasteful trotter daguerreotypes, ma chère.
kiwifarms.net
No, I adapted so I could keep gaming, although I did got stuck playing with inverted up/down controls (autistic, boring story) and can't go back now. It's actually better if you can get used to it.

Reactions: Notan Alte

Eryngium

Cryptids are a Cute! CUTE!
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else use legacy controls for first person games? I started playing Wolfenstein and Doom back in the day, when the default was that up and down arrow keys would move forward and back, left and right arrow keys would turn left or right, and strafes were done with the left hand. There was no looking up or down in first person titles from that generation. When Goldeneye came out for N64, the default controls replicated this scheme, left stick moved forward and back, and turned, while C buttons strafed and looked up and down. I played the shit out of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to the point that when games switched over to the new standard of one stick looks, one stick moves I was (and still am) completely unable to adjust. Unfortunately, lazy ass development studios typically don't include legacy as an option any more, so I've missed out on dozens of well-regarded first person titles over the years.

Anyone else still rock legacy controls?
I rocked your mom last night with some legacy controls.

Inflatable Julay

kiwifarms.net
I tried replaying Goldeneye about a week ago and it was completely unplayable. I'm so accustomed to COD controls that I can't even force my brain to go back to the old kind.

But I have been playing Shadows of the Empire with no real problem, so maybe it depends on the game.

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
No, I adapted so I could keep gaming, although I did got stuck playing with inverted up/down controls (autistic, boring story) and can't go back now. It's actually better if you can get used to it.
Oh. I do the inverted look too. Flight sims got me started on that, Fortunately, nearly every game lets you invert the Y axis.

Exigent Circumcisions

Post tasteful trotter daguerreotypes, ma chère.
kiwifarms.net
Oh. I do the inverted look too. Flight sims got me started on that, Fortunately, nearly every game lets you invert the Y axis.
Yeah, it's a good thing. For me it was some swordy axey Xbox game that wouldn't allow changes to controls during gameplay and had horrific load times and few checkpoints. A buddy of mine was obsessed with it and it was his vidya so we all had to cope or not play.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino