Let's Sperg Let's Play XCOM UFO Defense (Completed) - Heavy casualties expected.

Dark Edea

kiwifarms.net
you should do laser squad nemesis instead. that game is much funnier to play.

basicly 4 factions, greys, marines, robots and swarm

it makes for nice replays too, saving you a ton of work.
That looks retarded in all the right ways.

Am I understanding the replays correctly? Does the game play out in turn-based fashion and then the replay runs it back at normal speed? It looks very good.

Lemmingwise

The capture of the last white wizard decolorized
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That looks retarded in all the right ways.

Am I understanding the replays correctly? Does the game play out in turn-based fashion and then the replay runs it back at normal speed? It looks very good.

Yes, it's simultaneous turn-based and mainly designed around the idea of multiplayer. Each player plans 5 seconds, then it plays out. That's why you see a bit of a jerk every 5 minutes as suddenly there are new plans, because you didn't expect the grenade to be off 1 degree and hit you in the face.
The planning is very inticrate. You can differentiate between "do this" and "do this, unless you see a new enemy, then shoot it" and "unless you see a new enemy, then run for cover". If that means they run into the line of fire of someone else, so be it.
Of course seeing an enemy depends on what direction you're looking. Do you want to spend a precious half second to look over your should or not?
There's also the option of "shoot in that direction" or "shoot in that direction, if you see an enemy" or "hold fire" or "fire at will", each with their own details.
But that might give you the idea that there's anything strategic about it. Mostly it's just levelling everything with grenades (marines), missiles (mech) and warp explosions (greys), with the swarm throwing absolutely crazy numbers and speed at the enemy and hoping something sticks, which it probably won't. Everything that dies leaves a corpse that the swarm queen can eat and poop out new eggs. Difficult game plan.

At it's best, you're keeping the enemy busy at one point and sending one or two flanking parties to hit him from behind, You can see some of the more advanced play at 6:48

If it wasn't crazy expensive back in the day (like 20$ a month?) it might have been more succesful. It's what the Gollop brothers went on to make after xcom.

Last edited:

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
Yes, it's simultaneous turn-based and mainly designed around the idea of multiplayer. Each player plans 5 seconds, then it plays out. That's why you see a bit of a jerk every 5 minutes as suddenly there are new plans, because you didn't expect the grenade to be off 1 degree and hit you in the face.
The planning is very inticrate. You can differentiate between "do this" and "do this, unless you see a new enemy, then shoot it" and "unless you see a new enemy, then run for cover". If that means they run into the line of fire of someone else, so be it.
Of course seeing an enemy depends on what direction you're looking. Do you want to spend a precious half second to look over your should or not?
There's also the option of "shoot in that direction" or "shoot in that direction, if you see an enemy" or "hold fire" or "fire at will", each with their own details.
But that might give you the idea that there's anything strategic about it. Mostly it's just levelling everything with grenades (marines), missiles (mech) and warp explosions (greys), with the swarm throwing absolutely crazy numbers and speed at the enemy and hoping something sticks, which it probably won't. Everything that dies leaves a corpse that the swarm queen can eat and poop out new eggs. Difficult game plan.

At it's best, you're keeping the enemy busy at one point and sending one or two flanking parties to hit him from behind, You can see some of the more advanced play at 6:48

If it wasn't crazy expensive back in the day (like 20$ a month?) it might have been more succesful. It's what the Gollop brothers went on to make after xcom.
If anyone is interested in a modern iteration, Door Kickers also fulfills this concept. Get a SWAT team, plan your route in the target area, watch as your decisions play out in real-time. You can technically also control your men in real time but where's the fun in that?

I believe Frozen Synapse as well, but it has been a hot minute since I played that one.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
If anyone is interested in a modern iteration, Door Kickers also fulfills this concept. Get a SWAT team, plan your route in the target area, watch as your decisions play out in real-time. You can technically also control your men in real time but where's the fun in that?

I believe Frozen Synapse as well, but it has been a hot minute since I played that one.
Yeah, Frozen Synapse is a more straight example of that. You can do some pretty complex tactical maneuvers in that game, including baiting out shots through a window in order to allow a flanker to breach into a room safely.

Dark Edea

kiwifarms.net

Now I'm restarting SWAT 4. Thanks.

Not a bad thing.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck are all these II fuckers. Once dead, you're dead.
Eventually ran out of volunteers. To be honest I'm surprised I got as many as I did in the first place.

I could use names from my 200+ silly name bank that I put together for my own games, but there'd be no fun in watching a bunch of strangers go on missions instead.

ChucklesTheJester

The Worst Pokemon Trainer Around
kiwifarms.net
Eventually ran out of volunteers. To be honest I'm surprised I got as many as I did in the first place.

I could use names from my 200+ silly name bank that I put together for my own games, but there'd be no fun in watching a bunch of strangers go on missions instead.
I'm not surprised you got as many as you did. People love a good old LP where they can pretend to be important.

:story: Even then X-com is still a cult classic, so I wouldn't be too surprised if a ton of people who volunteered played the game before, or wanted to see what Classic X-com was like.

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
I'm not surprised you got as many as you did. People love a good old LP where they can pretend to be important.

:story: Even then X-com is still a cult classic, so I wouldn't be too surprised if a ton of people who volunteered played the game before, or wanted to see what Classic X-com was like.
Well yeah, I expected to get 50+ names eventually but not like, in the first five days of running the thread. It is good to see this game still gets some love. Its modding community still being alive and well probably has a lot to do with that, kind of like Doom.

White Devil

As in this world there are degrees of evils
kiwifarms.net

I like L50LasPak as a poster and XCOM is one of my childhood beloved games, couldn't not volunteer to die instantly to xeno scum.

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net

Did I make the cut? Am I going to die gloriously, charging the enemies of the Emprah dropping a grenade under a cyberdisk?

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
You're in line for the next group of recruits. Since I lowered the threshold for that down to like three to five names it'll basically be whenever I open the game up next.
1616541789312.png
1616542440125.png

Allakazam223

We wuz Orkz n shit
kiwifarms.net

I may have gotten it after this thread.... does OpenXcom work on the steam version?

I like how my cloning vat seems to be the same one as before. Charge forth and fight valiantly, fellow cannon fodder recruits!

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
I may have gotten it after this thread.... does OpenXcom work on the steam version?
Sort of like how GZDoom requires you to have the original Doom/Doom2 iwads to function, OpenXcom requires the assets of the original game to function. So you should install the original somewhere, install OpenXcom in a different location, then copy over the assets. The readme should give you more details if you need them.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Sort of like how GZDoom requires you to have the original Doom/Doom2 iwads to function, OpenXcom requires the assets of the original game to function. So you should install the original somewhere, install OpenXcom in a different location, then copy over the assets. The readme should give you more details if you need them.
Wasn't OG X-COM abandonware for a while? I seem to recall it being stupid easy to find a copy out on the interwebs back when I gave it a try over a decade ago.
If that's the case, you can't really put that genie back in the bottle.