Let's Sperg Let's Play XCOM UFO Defense (Completed) - Heavy casualties expected.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't OG X-COM abandonware for a while? I seem to recall it being stupid easy to find a copy out on the interwebs back when I gave it a try over a decade ago.
If that's the case, you can't really put that genie back in the bottle.
There bound to be a ton of old websites that still host copies of old abdandomware/cracked DOS games.
It was definitely freely available on Abandonia when I was a kid. I want to say I downloaded it for the first time when I was in middle school, so we're talking maybe 2007/2008. The game weirded me out too much to get into it properly and I was still a dipshit kid so I quit on my first mission and didn't think about the game until a few years later. I think the year I bought my copy was late 2011, because I was still in high school and there was no announcement about the remake yet. I bought it specifically because Abandonia had stopped hosting it.

Point to this yarn is that it was definitely freely available at one point but the copyright on it started getting enforced. In retrospect work was probably underway on the remake and Firaxis was flexing its dick to ensure their copyright was still secure. OpenXcom's reliance on having the original game assets is purely a copyright protection scheme. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a torrent of the game. The assets are so small I was able to email it to some friends awhile back, and I actually considered just straight up attaching it to the OP but I figured that would just invite Kiwi Farms's first legitimate DMCA notice.

ChucklesTheJester

The Worst Pokemon Trainer Around
kiwifarms.net
It was definitely freely available on Abandonia when I was a kid. I want to say I downloaded it for the first time when I was in middle school, so we're talking maybe 2007/2008. The game weirded me out too much to get into it properly and I was still a dipshit kid so I quit on my first mission and didn't think about the game until a few years later. I think the year I bought my copy was late 2011, because I was still in high school and there was no announcement about the remake yet. I bought it specifically because Abandonia had stopped hosting it.

Point to this yarn is that it was definitely freely available at one point but the copyright on it started getting enforced. In retrospect work was probably underway on the remake and Firaxis was flexing its dick to ensure their copyright was still secure. OpenXcom's reliance on having the original game assets is purely a copyright protection scheme. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a torrent of the game. The assets are so small I was able to email it to some friends awhile back, and I actually considered just straight up attaching it to the OP but I figured that would just invite Kiwi Farms's first legitimate DMCA notice.
Wouldn't that be fucking something. It wasn't a lolcow that causes KF the first real DMCA, but a LP of a classic game. :story:

Only LP autism would be able to do that.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Point to this yarn is that it was definitely freely available at one point but the copyright on it started getting enforced.
Oh, cool. I wasn't going fucking crazy.
In retrospect work was probably underway on the remake and Firaxis was flexing its dick to ensure their copyright was still secure. OpenXcom's reliance on having the original game assets is purely a copyright protection scheme.
Yeah, more than likely. Though, honestly, between the remakes, mods, and spiritual successors, it's probably more legal showmanship on everyone's part than trying to crack down on old copies of the game from the Neckbeard Age.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
When I had the boob-crisis earlier in this or the other thread literally 5 minutes of google lead me to a DOS download. It's not hard to find. I bought the game back then, I even remember it coming with a manual word protection.

I'm also an unapologetic pirate and steal everything, especially old shit like this. Arr.

Pocket Dragoon

you're disturbing my calm.
kiwifarms.net
When I had the boob-crisis earlier in this or the other thread literally 5 minutes of google lead me to a DOS download. It's not hard to find. I bought the game back then, I even remember it coming with a manual word protection.

I'm also an unapologetic pirate and steal everything, especially old shit like this. Arr.
This game, along with Alpha Centauri and Fallout 2, kept me company throughout my first deployment in 2004, on a Panasonic Toughbook II that I rebuilt from cannibalized units, while everyone else was playing bullshit like Halo & Madden.

This LP is exactly like how I played these games in my head.... thanks for the past-life memory feels, fam.

Dark Edea

kiwifarms.net
Accuracy is important, recruit!
But accuracy is meaningless in XCOM!

If every X-com enemy faction was compared to a common target of Kiwi Farms, what would be each one?
They would all be DSP because against all odds they come out unscathed while the good guys are shredded despite a 99% chance to hit and a 100% crit chance.

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
And yet they're the mutons. Nasty, brutish and prone to screaming and stomping their feet a lot.

I want to say you're wrong, but you're really not.
1616600332017.png

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
15. String of Bad Luck

screen000.png

Its a lo-ong way to Ma-ars, its a lo-ong way, to go-o...

screen001.png

Who am I kidding? I can't sing.

screen002.png
screen003.png

The ideal defense system for an XCOM base is a line of Fusion Defenses. The Plasma Beam craft weapon is better in the air due to how UFOs can dodge Fusion weapons and its rate of fire, but when your base is attacked each defensive emplacement can only fire once unless you have a pulse shield installation. Fusion Defenses are the most bang for your buck but we're still a little ways off from them and they're a bitch to build.

screen007.png
screen009.png
screen011.png
screen013.png

At least the interceptor pilots aren't getting bored.

screen014.png
screen015.png

These Abductor recovery missions are extremely boring and tedious for me to play on account of the craft layout, but the positive score from taking them even heavily damaged like this is just too good to pass up.

screen016.png

Everyone on the ground feels they know the drill. The aliens are as ever full of surprises though.

screen017.png
screen018.png
screen019.png

Somewhere around two updates ago I manufactured a stack of about 60 alien grenades since we recover maybe eight or so per mission. At the rate I use them even recklessly versus the rate of recovery we shouldn't need to manufacture more grenades for the rest of the game. We're still sitting on that stack of conventional grenades I bought at the start too, maybe about 40 or so of those left.

screen020.png
screen021.png
screen026.png

The aliens give us little trouble at first.

screen025.png
screen027.png
screen029.png

Ponchik comes under psionic attack relatively late into the mission. The aliens on Abductors are usually pretty hesitant to use their psionics, generally because there are so few of them, but they succeed in getting Ponchik to panic and then run amok. The rest of XCOM continues their sweep of the UFO.

screen030.png
screen031.png
screen032.png

Looks like we have the aliens inside the ship on the ropes.

screen038.png
screen039.png
screen041.png

Just as I have @Kane Lives round a corner into a hedged off area, a Sectoid medic hiding in the area hulks out and actually manages to kill him with autofire!

screen042.png
screen043.png
screen044.png

I retaliate by having @Bathroom Attendant bomb where I think the alien scampered off to, its a clean miss. On top of that the wiley medic manages to kill him too!

screen046.png
screen047.png

I have the team on the inside of the ship head for the UFO entrance once they finish killing the two panicked aliens. The medic has beat the team to the entryway however, and ambushes @Randall Fragg with reaction fire right as he comes through the door.

screen048.png
screen049.png

@Judge Dredd isn't too far behind Fragg. The alien manages to kill him as well.

screen050.png

Eventually somebody outside the UFO snipes the alien when the smoke on the interior dissapates.

screen051.png
screen052.png
screen053.png
screen054.png

Its a positive score but at great cost for an otherwise routine mission. Affluent Reptilian is criticised for using too few soldiers to secure chokepoints and in general not backing his troops up enough on the battlefield. He is left in command for the time being though.

screen056.png
screen057.png
screen059.png

screen060.png
screen063.png

Eurasia sees a lot of the UFO activity in a relatively short period of time. Our interceptors manage to take down two more Abductors.

screen064.png

The reason for the increased UFO activity soon makes itself known.

screen065.png
screen066.png

The team leaves in such a hurry that it takes a few minutes for Command to realize the ship is still full of green rookies. Affluent Reptillian reports that the Amberlynn Reid is touching down before they make it into the ops rooms.

screen067.png

Thank God, its just Floaters.

screen077.png
screen078.png
screen079.png

Since XCOM is now armed with modern weaponry, the Floaters and especially their useless Terror Units, the Reapers, are unable to put up an effective resistance. Reapers are perfectly vulnerable to even the conventional explosives at the start of the game and have no special resistances towards any of the weapons developed afterwards. Floaters are poorly armored, supposedly a bit toughter than Sectoids but definitely without much of their perceptive skills.

screen080.png

World of Shit eats a stun bomb followed up with a big bowl of pavement for dessert.

screen082.png
screen083.png
screen084.png

The advantage that Floaters, at least early game, are supposed to have over XCOM is their ability to fly. However, unless your troops have excellent vision, the ability to just take off from the ground and float over the battlefield becomes more of a liability than anything else. You'd think in real life a man-sized target hovering irregularly in the air would be fairly difficult to hit, or at least something a soldier isn't used to shooting at, but in-game there is no disadvantage to shooting at a hovering target at all in the game, Which means all that a unit does when it takes off is just exposes itself on a Z-Axis plane where it effectively has little to no cover

screen100.png

Units in the air don't recieve an accuracy bonus either. I'm aware that there are XCOM veterans out there who love the Flying Suit and everything and have all of these neat little tricks they can do with it, but for me taking any of my troops off the ground just invites certain death.

screen101.png
screen102.png
screen103.png

The rookies somehow manage a mission with zero casualties. The aliens did utterly slaughter the civilians though so the score isn't as high as it could have been.

screen104.png
screen108.png

Back to the desert.

screen109.png
screen111.png
screen114.png
screen115.png

Team cohesion is supposed to be tighter this time, so we have about four troops covering each side of the UFO as they advance to prevent some Rambo medic from fucking us up.

screen117.png
screen118.png

It takes the aliens only one psionic attack to seen MikeFoxtrotTango over the edge. He fills @Friend computer full of holes.

screen121.png
screen124.png
screen125.png

Ponchik loses it again and runs screaming into the UFO without his weapon. Luckily he finds a dead alien killed in the crash still gripping a Heavy Plasma. He uses his newly salvaged weapon to blow an alien away before succumbing to panic again.

screen127.png
screen128.png

Ponchik falls under alien control once again. Llama King acts quickly enough though, destroying the last alien and ending the mission before Ponchik can do any damage.

screen130.png
screen131.png
screen133.png
screen134.png

Could've been worse, I guess.

screen135.png

New troops arrive, though I probably need to order another batch of 10 recruits fairly soon due to all of the attrition we're suffering on UFO recovery missions.

All of the new troops are fresh names, with the exception of @Megatardingo, who was actually added in the last batch but I failed to screenshot him for some reason.

@SailingtheSaltySeas, @TerribleIdeas™, @Mooger Meng, @Shadfan666xxx000

1 Bumbilino.png
2 Sailing the Salty Sea.png
3 TerribleIdeasTM.png
4 Mooger Meng.png
5 Shadfan.png

screen136.png
screen140.png

I'm starting to get real sick of Abductors.

screen141.png
screen145.png
screen147.png

The aliens have stepped up their game since the last Abductor mission. They ambush us from two different points and take out @world of shit and @Lemmingwise before they have a chance to do much of anything. Affluent Reptilian is wounded leading his troops.

screen148.png
screen149.png

Its a little close for one of those jewels, but Affluent Reptilian didn't make Captain by playing it safe. He atomizes a pair of aliens with an alien grenade along with much of the barn they were hiding in.

screen150.png

Amazingly, there's still a Sectoid alive on the second floor. One of the troops coming off the Skyranger nails it.

screen152.png
screen153.png
screen154.png

I miss screenshotting the notification, but MikeFoxtrotTango falls under alien control almost immediately and executes @Forever Sunrise and @Twitter Hate Mob.

screen155.png
screen156.png
screen157.png

Its up to the wounded Affluent Reptile to stun MikeFoxtrot. Before he can get anything help though the team comes under attack from an alien to the south, which they manage to dispatch. Another alien steps out of the Abductor's main entrance and wastes @Super Sad Smile.

screen158.png
screen160.png

This mission has been an embarassing disaster for XCOM but at least the UFO breach goes okay.

screen161.png
screen163.png
screen164.png

For about two turns. Then, a psionic attack panics Genichiro while an alien comes down the lift and turns @JongleJingle into paste.

screen166.png

White Devil somehow gets reaciton fire on the alien without putting a hole in Genichiro,

screen167.png
screen168.png
screen169.png
screen170.png

Affluent Reptilian is hospitalized for his wounds and thus unable to lead the squad anyway, but Command relieves him of his position for the moment. He retains his rank though, something a lot of the other recruits are displeased with. They're even less thrilled when they hear that panicky Ponchik will be in charge of all rookie operations for the foreseeable future.

screen172.png
screen173.png

Its not long before the Jace interceptor shoots down a Muton scout over Siberia.

screen181.png
screen184.png
screen187.png

Ponchik's first mission as a squad leader goes... surprisingly well, actually.

screen188.png
screen189.png
screen190.png

By the book deployment, quick and clean sweep of the surrounding area, and a flawless UFO breach.

screen191.png
screen192.png
screen193.png

Command is impressed.

screen194.png

Our end of the month report is not promising. Japan has fallen to alien infiltration as predicted earlier. our maintenance is beginning to reach our total income, though this is not neccesarily an issue especially given the cash we have on reserve. The real thing that concerns me is the relatively low score we got for the month. I recovered every single downed UFO and completed a Terror Mission, but our score is still in the okay range. We need to start dealing with some of those alien bases, but we just don't have the troop transportation capacity for a base assault yet.

screen195.png

I'm done fucking around with research. I use up the last two open spaces in Kiwi Farms to build extra laboratories, which once complete I will staff to full capacity so we can whip through the rest of the game's research. I also order 14 more engineers to bring Kiwi Farms's workshop staff up to full capacity.

screen197.png
screen198.png
screen199.png
screen202.png

We take down a few more small fry in the mean time. It seems pointless, but the rechargeable plasma beams run on nothing at all so its worth the distraction to bump us up a few extra points.

screen203.png
screen204.png

Research on the Blaster Bomb completes. The warhead it uses are antigravity smart missiles, capable of making hairpin turns and carrying an extremely powerful fusion charge. Work isn't yet complete on the launcher though.

screen205.png
screen206.png

A major stepping stone in our research of the alien craft is complete, but our teams still need to research two more advanced craft in order to reach the ultimate XCOM craft. Work starts right away.

screen207.png
screen208.png

Another UFO is shot down near Yakutia, Russia. Ponchik rallies his team and sets off at once.

screen209.png
screen210.png

On the way there, the science team finalizes their design for the Power Suit. This pressurized, mechanized suit is the ultimate protection XCOM soldiers can wear. We can research the Flying Suit, but I've already spelled out why I don't find them to be worth the trouble above. In addition to that, i think the Flying Suit is slightly weaker to compensate for the antigravity unit.

screen212.png

Constructing these things will take forever though, so I'm only going to build what I need for the final mission on Cydonia and a few extra. In general, expect to see more troops in Personnel Armor than Power Suits up until the final mission.

screen213.png

On the ground its Mutons again.

screen214.png
screen215.png

@Llama king is killed by reaction fire as XCOM spreads out.

screen216.png
screen218.png

Otherwise, the mission goes quite well, with Ponchik personally leading his troops to take the UFO.

screen220.png
screen221.png
screen222.png
screen223.png

The death of only one recruit is regrettable but hardly anything XCOM hasn't seen before.

screen225.png
screen226.png

Finally. Research on the Psi-Amp, XCOM's answer to alien psionics, is complete.

screen228.png

I immediately divert most of the engineering staff to Psi-Amp production. The first six units are ready for deployment in less than three days. Four will be deployed ot the battlefield and two kept as backups.

screen229.png

The Psi-Amp weighs very little, so it will be given to officers who have high ranks and are intent on staying in the back of the Skyranger rather than being immediately deployed. Affluent Reptilian, McMitch4kf, Chaos Theorist and of course Dear Leader are the first four to recieve Psi-Amps. Dear Leader has low Psi Resistance which could prove to be a liability but I'm willing to chance that having our own successful team of psonic troops will distract the aliens enough that they cannot make effective use of their own psionics.

Next time: The power of the mind, more routine missions, and maybe I decide to get a little ambitious.

Attachments

• screen220.png
    screen220.png
    17 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Catgirls are Love

Make Catgirls Purr Again
kiwifarms.net
We can research the Flying Suit, but I've already spelled out why I don't find them to be worth the trouble above. In addition to that, i think the Flying Suit is slightly weaker to compensate for the antigravity unit.
The Flying Suit is stronger than the Power Suit (+10 to every armor stat, but you can still be oneshot by Heavy Plasma), but the real cost to it is the Elerium needed. Unless you've been getting lots of UFOs intact and smashing bases as they pop up there's decent odds you won't quite have the Elerium to spare. When it's a choice between one Flying Suit or three Power Suits, that's not really much of a choice at all.

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
The Flying Suit is stronger than the Power Suit (+10 to every armor stat, but you can still be oneshot by Heavy Plasma), but the real cost to it is the Elerium needed. Unless you've been getting lots of UFOs intact and smashing bases as they pop up there's decent odds you won't quite have the Elerium to spare. When it's a choice between one Flying Suit or three Power Suits, that's not really much of a choice at all.
I checked the Terror From the Deep UFOpedia after I read this to see if I'm getting all of these misnomers from there, but its MagIon Armor is stronger than the regular stuff too. XPiratez must've just fried my brain that badly on armor loadouts.

Admittedly because we've been utterly crushing the enemy and never needed to manufacture ammunition or grenades (aside from one occasion) I'm tempted to get the Flying Suit now since we could easily afford the Elerium for it. The ultimate deciding factor right now is the research and construction time, which I'm just impatient enough to not want to devote in this case.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
Japan has fallen to the Tentacle Hentai menace.
No, that's Terror From The Deep.

What's happened here is that the Ethereals realized that sectoids are short, flat and have huge heads, huge eyes and tiny noses. So they just put them in wigs and schoolgirl uniforms and the Japanese government let them all in thinking they were lolis.

Last edited: