Let's Sperg Let's Play XCOM UFO Defense (Completed) - Heavy casualties expected.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
I was looking forward to killing my fellow XCOM soldiers, but I genuinely assumed I was going to get mind-controlled and scream Allahu Ackbar in the middle of deploying, instead of having to murder some fag that got full of alien jizz.
Don't worry - I'm sure that after that initial showing, both of our deaths will be hilariously ignoble.

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
I WILL FITE YOU!

I WANT TO DIE!! REEEEEE!!!!

Don't worry - I'm sure that after that initial showing, both of our deaths will be hilariously ignoble.
Everyone get really close to me, all our dreams can be achieved.

(Edit - I'm a clueless faggot that fucked up multi-quoting, and my avatar deserves to die horribly for that.)

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
now I want to get back on the action just to die by your side
1618270905946.png

Under my command, it will be less Imperial Army, no change in Black Flag deaths, and more explosions. Survivors get extra rations, though!

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
19. Slaughter in the Skies

screen000.png
screen001.png

I swear to you we're not finished yet.

screen002.png
screen003.png
screen004.png
screen006.png

We are getting pretty close though. The only mission that I am required to do to complete the game is the Cydonia mission, but before this LP ends I would like to show off the Base Defense mission and assault an Ethereal base just to say I did. I originally considered also doing one of every UFO type but that would require getting the notoriously shy Cruiser to spawn.

screen007.png
screen008.png

If an alien Battleship spawns with the mission "Alien Retaliation", which it should do at least twice during this update due to me researching The Martian Solution and Cydonia or Bust the previous month, then my plan is to let the Battleship land and assault the base. That should take care of the base defence mission. In the mean time, I go after this Harvester to give the troops some practice.

screen012.png
screen014.png
screen015.png

The Avenger gives us the ability to deploy an almost unfair number of troops.

screen013.png
screen016.png
screen017.png

Speaking of unfair, three of our soldiers are capable of performing three psionic attacks per turn, and the other three aren't too far off from being able to do so themselves.

screen024.png
screen026.png
screen030.png

Needless to say this utterly mops the floor with Mutons.

screen037.png
screen039.png

Once the Mutons outside have killed each other off or been disposed of by our patrols, its on to the UFO.

screen058.png
screen063.png

This is what UFO breaches look like now. Mutons are so plentiful and our psionic troops so powerful that we can have one available for each soldier performing the search, effectively reducing the risk of these missions to pretty much zero.

screen074.png
screen076.png
screen077.png

The mission doesn't even end with a shootout anymore.

screen079.png
screen080.png
screen083.png

With no casualties of course comes little to no promotions.

screen088.png
screen092.png
screen093.png

There's a scout recovery after this that is of little note.

screen096.png
screen098.png

screen099.png
screen101.png
screen103.png

Our second Avenger completes. since the Avenger is also the fastest craft avialable in the game as well as the largest, I elect to name this one Sonichu. Sufficent weaponry to outfit both craft is completed shortly afterwards. An Avenger equipped with dual Plasma Beams is supposed to be able to take down an alien Battleship, but I've never tried this myself to be honest.

screen104.png
screen106.png
screen107.png
screen108.png

Its still a few hours before the Chantal and sonichu will be armed and prepared for use as interceptors. At this point there's hypothetically no need to keep the Jace and Chrischan operational, but they excel in taking down just about every other type of alien craft and they don't expend Elerium when flying around so I see no reason to dispose of them.

screen114.png
screen120.png
screen123.png

These are literally the only three screenshots out of a total of 12 for this scout recovery mission that don't contain the "Mind Control Successful" box.

screen127.png
screen129.png
screen130.png

Not gonna lie, I'm getting a little impatient waiting for our alien callers to show up.

screen131.png
screen135.png
screen134.png

Even though those dirty bogans have surrendered to the aliens the Chantal takes down a Terror Ship headed straight for them.

screen137.png
screen138.png

Using an Avenger to intercept means you can go on a recovery mission right away if you want to. Eh, why not?

screen139.png
screen142.png

Sectoids, which means Cyberdisks.

screen143.png

I spend an inordinate amount of time attempting to mind control a Cyberdisk to demonstrate an entertaining quirk of the original XCOM. It doesn't work even when I pour like two entire turns of psionic attack into it of course.

Size four units cannot be mind controlled as easily as the regular units because they behave a lot like four small units stuck together, but somehow they all share the same pool of time units. If you perform a psionic attack on one part of the unit, only that part of it expereinces a morale loss, and if you succeed in a mind control attack, only that one part will go over to your control. This can result in some amusing moments where you'll order a mind controlled unit to move, but it will draw reaction fire from itself, onto itself, at which point it will usually kill itself.

screen164.png
screen165.png
screen166.png

The Cyberdisk being a purely mechanical unit has a ridiculously high psionic defense though, and while my troops have excellent psionic strength at moment they're nowhere near good enough to take control of it. I order it destroyed and start picking off the Sectoids around the Avenger.

screen169.png
screen184.png
screen189.png

The alien psionic attacks are still effective, but only enough to make axfaxf panic. The rest of the team has little trouble advancing into the desert. Sectoids are somewhat unpredictable as they seem to get a boost to avoiding mind control after getting taken over for several turns in a row. Its mostly random, but I usually need to kill my slave units every 3 turns or so to prevent them from falling back into enemy hands. Unless they're Mutons, who are so stupid I never need to worry about this problem.

screen196.png
screen198.png
screen199.png

GrammaNazi and AmpleApricots have a close encounter with a Cyberdisk that somehow doesn't end with the two of them getting blown up. Its a good thing that the AI doesn't try to use the explosive nature of the Cyberdisk to its advantage in this game. Terror From the Deep on the other hand is a story for another day.

screen203.png
screen205.png
screen206.png

We've pretty much outstripped every alien faction except the Ethereals at this point.

screen207.png
screen208.png

Still no raider Battleship yet.

screen210.png
screen212.png
screen213.png

We catch this Harvester over the Saharan Desert.

screen214.png
screen215.png

I'm a bit worried about sending our best troops out when that Battleship could appear at any time but I figure we're fairly close by if anything goes wrong.

screen216.png
screen217.png

Of all of the alien tactics, their blind ambush on the first turn remains effective. @Megatardingo is killed.

screen218.png
screen219.png
screen225.png

Down one member, the team sets about the task of clearing the map with the same efficiency as before.

screen226.png
screen229.png
screen230.png

A bout of overconfidence on my part leads to AmpleApricots taking some fire during the alien turn. He doesn't sustain a mortal wound though, just a direct hit.

screen234.png
screen235.png
screen236.png

Most of the aliens appear to be outside.

screen242.png
screen245.png
screen246.png
screen248.png

This proves to be correct. I skipped past the stats screens by accident, you guys will have to trust me when I say they were of little note.

screen249.png
screen250.png

I switch about half of my scientists to researching random alien technology for the hell of it.

screen252.png
screen254.png
screen255.png

I'm not completely certain why, but I decided to take this scout recovery mission.

screen261.png
screen267.png
screen269.png

It goes alright until I lose one of my minions inside the house because I forgot to leave him in a visible spot.

screen271.png
screen272.png

That's remedied fairly quickly.

screen273.png
screen274.png

UFO breaches ain't what they used to be.

screen275.png
screen276.png

Its about this point where I decide that, as fun a leveling private property with mininukes is, I'm sick of UFO recoveries and just going to grind out air battles until a Battleship with our name on it appears.

screen277.png
screen278.png
screen279.png
screen280.png
screen281.png
screen283.png
screen284.png
screen285.png

Our scientists and pilots seem to be the only ones having any fun right now. Dear Leader and the directors can barely contain their yawning when the scientists excitedly show us that they've figured out how to cut up a cow with a laser.

screen286.png
screen288.png
screen289.png

Finally some action. Raider Battleships are always preceded by two or three scouts who scan the area first looking for the base. To my dismay the Battleship is targeting North America even though our primary base is in Europe and the aliens should have become aware of it for longer than the other one.

screen290.png

The Battleship makes its arrival... flies around a bit, and then leaves. Seriously. We've been stood up!

Apparently those scouts that appear beforehand aren't just for show, they're there to actually help the Battleship figure out where your base is. Since I impudently shot them all down, the Battleship is apparently too stupid to find the base on its own, so it just leaves. This also flies in the face of what I thought I knew about the game, which was that the aliens will automatically become aware of at least one of your bases past a certain point and will definitely become aware of a base once you trigger a retaliation mission.

I'm fine with admitting I savescumed here, since if the Battleship was too shy to come to us, we'll have to take the fight to them.

screen291.png
screen292.png

Its a bit weird to think of an object that's only about 30 meters in diameter and three decks tall as a Battleship. Still, I'm a little worried that we're not up to this.

screen294.png
screen295.png
screen298.png
screen300.png
screen301.png

Turns out I was worried about nothing. The Chantal doesn't just win the battle, it wins easily, with less than 10 shots fired!

screen302.png

To rub it in, the interception took place right over the Black Sea, so the UFO sunk and all the dipshits onboard died in the landing. :story:

screen303.png
screen304.png

I'll be honest, at this point in the screenshots I was seriously considering just launching the Cydonia mission right here, but I did make that last call for names and wanted to give people a little time to sign up for that. Which turned into two weeks, whoops, but hey, its the thought that counts!

screen306.png
screen308.png
screen311.png
screen312.png
screen315.png
screen316.png
screen318.png
screen319.png

Our pilots tear shit up while our science team cuts shit up.

screen320.png

You'd think this Battleship would know where to find us this time, but I save and let it wander around again only for it to fly off.

screen323.png
screen324.png
screen325.png
screen327.png
screen328.png

While this amount of damage is pretty small in the scheme of things, it leaves our Avengers laid up in the hangar for something like 3-4 days while they undergo repairs.

screen329.png
screen330.png
screen331.png
screen332.png
screen333.png
screen335.png
screen336.png
screen337.png

What follows is nothing short of aerial butchery as I take on every intercpetion I can target while compeltely ignoring ground operations.

screen338.png
screen339.png
screen340.png
screen344.png
screen345.png

We even shoot down another Battleship on its way to conduct an alien base mission in Oceania.

screen346.png
screen347.png
screen348.png
screen350.png
screen351.png
screen352.png
screen353.png
screen354.png

screen355.png

The month ends with an overwhelmingly positive score. Just as an experiment, I decided to conduct the entirety of the next month while flat out ignoring all ground operations to see if our score would suffer at all. There are over 100 screenshots between this one and the following; all of interceptions and unimportant research topics. I figure the interceptions are getting samey at this point and the research is all available at the CSignal site, so I say lets skip the crap.

screen461.png

Cutting out ground missions altogether actually increased our score by about 1000 points. Its safe to say the game is over at this point, aside from the final mission. I still want to do an Ethereal Base assault though.

screen250.png

I've decided to try and make this last batch of soldiers reflect an accurate mix of the people who have been active in the thread since the last two updates. I felt like that would be a bit more inclusive than just cycling through a list of a bunch of random people who may or may not still be interested, plus it would give people who want to get back in the fight right away a chance.

If you're dead and you don't see your name in this latest batch of recruits and feel left out, well, just have faith that this won't be the last XCOM Let's Play I do on here.

@Polyboros2 was supposed to be ressurected in the last batch so I put him in first. @RIPRhongoBongo is our only new addition. The rest are @White Devil, @McMitch4kf, @Fougaro, @Mary the Goldsmith, @Radical Cadre, @Tactical Wizard, @NerdShamer, @Megatardingo, @Overcast

1 Polyguurl.png
2 RIPRhongoBongo.png
3 Y Diafol Gwyn.png
4 McMitch5kf.png

5 Fougaro the 3rd.png
6 Mary the Tungstensmith.png
7 Infinite Radical Cadres.png
8 Tactical Sorcerer.png
9 GeekHumiliator.png
10 Gigatardingo.png
11 Couvert.png

This will put us only a few soldiers over the limit for what the Avenger can carry, but I'll be damn surprised if I don't lose a small handful of people against the Ethereals. If I still somehow have too many troops in te end I'll send them on missions unattended by the psionic team until enough people get killed off. I kept a few unnamed extras incase I really need them, I'll just pull from the dead people list if I need to.

Psionics Team:
Commander
Dear Leader
Colonel Dark Edea
Colonel The Valeyard
Captain Affluent Ectotherm (Affluent Reptilian)
Captain wtfNeedSignUp II
Captain HumanHive II

Ordnance Team:
Captain Genichiro II
Sergeant Frosted Flakes (Corn Flakes)

The Farmers:
Sergeant Penne Dreadful II
Sergeant GrammaNazi II
Sergeant Spunt II
Sergeant axfaxfaxf (axfaxf)
Sergeant Allakazam334 (Allakazam223)
Sergeant Sailing the Salty Sea
Sergeant TerribleIdeasTM
Sergeant Mooger Meng
Squaddie PlentyPears (AmpleApricots)

Fresh Meat:
Rookie
Polyguurl (Polyboros2)
Rookie RIPRhongoBongo
Rookie Y Diafol Gwyn (White Devil)
Rookie McMitch5kf (McMitch4kf)
Rookie Fougaro The 3rd (Fougaro)
Rookie Mary the Tungstensmith (Mary the Goldsmith)
Rookie Infinite Radical Cadres (Radical Cadre)
Rookie Tactical Sorcerer (Tactical Wizard)
Rookie GeekHumiliator (Nerdshamer)
Rookie Gigatardingo (Megatardingo)
Rookie Couvert (Overcast)

Next Time: Ethereal Base Assault, and likely Cydonia.

Attachments

• screen210.png
    screen210.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 8
  • screen261.png
    screen261.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: