Let's Sperg Let's Play XCOM UFO Defense (Completed) - Heavy casualties expected.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Corn Flakes

Kellogg's Brain Candy
kiwifarms.net
screen304.png

"Good. Goooood. Now prepare the anus."
With how the blood is dripping there, I think it's more a matter of "Damn it, Carl! You're supposed to probe a different hole!"

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
With how the blood is dripping there, I think it's more a matter of "Damn it, Carl! You're supposed to probe a different hole!"
Also the Ethereal there is wearing a blue cape, interestingly enough. Maybe they give the blue ones to their "special" employees?

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
20. Ending It

(Pendulum - Propane Nightmares)

screen000.png

Unlike some people, I can resist the urge to play Knights of Cydonia in my final update.

screen001.png
screen002.png

Assaulting an Ethereal base is completely pointless by now, but I did want to show off just how broken psionics can be. This would be a fairly common endgame mission since the player has a large chance to come across Ethereal bases near the endgame and they'll need a Commander one way or another. Assaulting a base has always proven to be the easiest way to get a Commander in my opinion.

screen003.png
screen004.png

Express elevator to Hell, going down.

screen005.png
screen006.png

They're waiting for us.

screen007.png
screen008.png

@Polyboros2 is killed instantly on his clone's first mission, on the first move no less. But at least he was pointed the right direction when I dropped him down.

screen010.png
screen011.png
screen012.png

You will notice that the alien I just mind controlled is capable of conducting its own psionic attacks. Its rank isn't high enough to use Mind Control though, only Ethereal Leaders and Commanders can do this. It is fully possible though to mind control an alien, then have it mind control another alien, and so forth unitl you take over a target that has no psionic capabilities.

screen013.png
screen018.png
screen020.png

In this case we manage to seize control of no less than four aliens on one turn. With turns left over for further psionic attacks! Only wtfNeedSignUp is still stuck being able to use only two attacks per turn, being one Tine Unit short of being able to do three. Which I expect to change after this mission.

screen023.png
screen031.png
screen033.png

I manage control of a fifth Ethereal which probably means I have about a third of the enemies on the map neutralized. Its around this point I start having them kill each other off. To save myself a lot of screenshots of Mind Controlling and having aliens kill each other, I slowly shave their numbers down until its just two of them keeping watch over that side of the base so nothing slips through.

screen035.png
screen036.png

XCOM starts to spread out and secure our side of the base while R1PRhongoBongo gets Fougaro back on his feet.

screen037.png

Fuck.

screen038.png
screen039.png

To my surprise the Sectopod falls under my control with only two attacks. At first it seems like a powerful unit to have under my control, but its clunky, has a pretty sad amount of Time Units and doesn't really have anything to shoot at. Meh.

screen045.png
screen049.png
screen053.png

At least until my luck runs out and I can't get control of it again the next turn. It opens fire and McMitch narrowly avoids getting spattered on the wall. It also shrugs off three volleys of plasma fire from the troops who have room to shoot at it.

screen060.png

Its gonna be a close shave, but its worth a shot.

screen061.png
screen062.png
screen064.png

Was it possible to pull off this shot with only 9 waypoints in the DOS version?

screen065.png
screen066.png
screen068.png

Yes, but it was a Hell of a lot more nervewracking.

screen069.png

Genichiro threads the needle and reduces the Sectopod to scrap metal.

screen088.png
screen091.png
screen094.png

We take control of this guy with a Blaster Launcher so I have him nuke the control room. Two alien death cries are heard amongst the series of explosions that follow.

screen082.png
screen083.png

The Ethereal Commander must be in another room because none of the skinny bastards are panicking yet. They take a few potshots at us while one of them panics NerdShamer.

screen106.png
screen107.png
screen109.png

I attempt to cheap out and not mind control these two Ethereals, instead having @Fougaro autoshot them. He kills the first one, and lands a blow on the second shot, only for the fucker to turn around and hit him with reaction fire.

screen114.png
screen115.png

I mind control it and kill it off along with a few other stragglers.

screen117.png
screen119.png
screen120.png

I clearly didn't learn my lesson though because @RIPRhongoBongo is killed when I try the same thing.

screen123.png
screen125.png
screen126.png

The last enemy on the map turns out to be a Sectopod, which my psionic troops make short work of.

screen127.png
screen128.png
screen130.png

Coincidentally, three deaths leaves me one soldier short for the final mission. I take this as a sign of providence.
Been a long time since I checked this thread out...

Boss, I beg of you, lemme in one last time! I must see the gates of Cydonia and kick some ass myself! Even if both of my clones died lol

Pretty please? With sugar on top?

ChingChang.png

I really was going to be Harsh Lets Player Man and be like "nope snooze ya lose buddy" but the coincidence was too incredible to ignore.

screen133.png

Time to get everyone suited up. You may have noticed I outfit the troops that weren't seeing any direct fighting with Power Suits just so I could spare some Personnel Armor for the rookies, but I had 30 suits made ahead of time to make sure I could outfit the Cydonia expedition at a moment's notice.

screen136.png
screen138.png
screen139.png
screen140.png

McMitch is wounded but its only for three days and its not like our score for the month is in any danger of going down. In the mean time we shoot down one last Scout and complete one last piece of random research.

screen142.png

I thought maybe today would be my lucky day and I'd get the Base Defense mission I wanted to show off after all, but this Battleship was also too stupid to find Null's apartment in the Belgrade ghetto. Rather than reload and shoot it down I just let it get away.

screen143.png
screen145.png
screen146.png

The reason you get this prompt is because if you fail this mission in any way, the game is over, even if you abort and take off with zero casualties. I suppose this is because the aliens realize XCOM is a serious threat to their invasion and they show up with a real armada to wreck your shit, but it kind of begs the question of why they're being so casual about this invasion in the first place.

screen000.png
screen003.png

By the way, here are the two ending slides you get if you fail. The cutscene in the OP is from the later Playstation version.

screen147.png

(Muse - Knights of Cydonia)

bottom text

screen148.png

The song was obligatory, I couldn't resist.

screen149.png
screen150.png

A quick look around the map shows us that we landed right next to the entrance. Cydonia curiously doesn't have very robust defenses on the surface, just a Terror Mission's worth of Sectoids and Cyberdisks, but you do have the option of moving your troops to the elevator pyramid and hitting Abort, which well send you to the next level, just without any of your supplies. But lets be honest, even if you're playing on Superhuman and not using broke Psionic or Blaster Bomb tactics, you can still clear this level out no problem.

screen151.png
screen153.png
screen154.png

A lot of shit happens all in one turn. Two Sectoids unexpectedly pop out of the elevator pyramid and start a firefight.

screen155.png
screen157.png

At the same time, another one pops out of the temple my team to the south were going to surround.

screen156.png
screen158.png

Both @Megatardingo and @Radical Cadre are mowed down by plasma fire.

screen160.png
screen161.png
screen163.png

Because I was expecting at least one of them to get some reaction fire off, my south flank is left totally open and @White Devil is killed when the aliens advance.

screen164.png
screen166.png
screen167.png

McMitch singlehandedly takes up the slack caused by the loss of Megatardingo and Radical Cadre. JongleJingle manages to secure the acess lift on his own.

screen168.png
screen170.png
screen171.png

McMitch's rampage has only just begun though. He wipes out a cyberdisk before it even has the chance to fire on anyone.

screen174.png
screen175.png

He takes out another alien as his backup, NerdShamer and AmpleApricots, arrives.

screen177.png
screen178.png
screen180.png

Since McMitch has expended his time units getting his latest kill, its up to NerdShamer and AmpleApricots to advance south. They come under fire immediately and NerdShamer takes a critical plasma hit, leaving him with only a tiny sliver of health.

screen181.png
screen182.png
screen185.png

Lacking better options I advance up enough to get a look at the alien, mind control it and pull NerdShamer back for some much needed healing and painkillers. I wanted to keep psionics to a minimum in this battle to give the aliens a fighting chance, but I draw the line at losing a soldier for no good reason.

screen186.png
screen195.png
screen196.png

A second Cyberdisk is found and wiped out.

screen198.png
screen204.png
screen206.png

The last alien on the map dies by panicking like a bitch, running unarmed out in front of the troops and getting showered in reaciton fire.

screen207.png

(Electric Light Orchestra - Fire On High Medley)

Let's do it.

screen208.png

I collect magazines from every extra Heavy Plasma we have and give everybody two spares even though I have yet to actually run out of ammunition a single time in this game.

screen209.png
screen210.png
screen213.png

The team down the first lift disperses about as cleanly as I can manage. For those unaware, the aliens in the final mission of Cydonia are mixed. Generally you have a mix of Ethereals, Mutons, and Snakemen. Snakemen of course only so the game can ambush you with Chryssalids, Mutons because for some reason the developers think their Terror Units are threatening and Ethereals since they are the best shots in the game and have psionics.

screen214.png
screen215.png

My team encounters this Celatid in an inconvienient spot. I could just mind control it but wiping it out with a nuke is just that much more satisfying.

screen217.png
screen218.png
screen220.png

There's another alien cry mixed in when the bomb goes off but I never really figure out what else was in there.

screen223.png

We run into another one as the second team starts advancing south but it gives us no trouble.

screen224.png

Watch it!

screen227.png

In a rather stunning display of competence, Penne Dreadful not only manages to get reaction fire on a Chryssalid but also kills it. Mooger Meng is targeted by psionic attacks though and starts spraying plasma fire while screaming about alien rape.

screen229.png
screen231.png
screen232.png

Our advance is slow but progressing. The Cydonia base is something like two or two and a half Alien Bases clipped together. Its pretty labyrinthine if you're trying to cover every little nook an cranny an alien can pop out of it, which you kind of have to since there's at least two Chryssalids on this map.

screen234.png
screen236.png

Speaking of which, the other one shows up at a section of the map covered solely by GrammaNazi, who is alone while his backup, AmpleApricots, is exploring annoying upstairs hallways. I have Gramma autofire it because I'm a fucking idiot. Not only do all three shots miss because I'm autofiring at a distant target that's through a window, but the third shot also punctures one of those glowing fuel tank objects and fills the corridor with smoke.

screen241.png

Oh joy, there's a third one. No reaction fire saved up and a smokescreen to cover the aliens as they move up. Vaya con dios, you're fucked buddy.

screen245.png
screen246.png

Meanwhile the aliens are still making sport of Mooger Meng.

screen247.png
screen248.png
screen249.png

The Virgin Silacoid shows up to remind us how useless it is compared to the Chad Chryssalid. Tactical Wizard guns it down in a hail of reaction fire.

screen250.png
screen252.png
screen251.png

Somehow the alien turn passed without either Chryssalid moving up enough to threaten GrammaNazi, so I decide I've got nothing to lose and start plotting a blaster bomb.

screen255.png
screen256.png
screen259.png

GrammaNazi probably has an uncomfortably long time to wonder just how good the Blaster Bomb technology is as the antigrav missile flies straight at him and then turns on a dime only inches away from his face. The missile impacts, but I don't hear any alien death cry. Which means the Chryssalid outside the little watch tower closet thing must have wandered off already, and the one on the inside must have been shielded from the explosion. Welp. I tried.

screen260.png

Bear in mind that while all of this is happening I have about 2-3 soldiers tied up exploring these pointless second floor rooms with only a single access lift. Everyone knows these rooms only exist just to fuck you and have Chryssalids drop down behind your troops if you try to blitz past them, so you ignore them at your own peril, but on the flipside you can end up with GrammaNazi's situation if your troops get spread too thin.

screen262.png

Out of nowhere the aliens switch their psionic attacks to Spunt and like immediately take him over. Even better, I've forgotten where the Hell he was and you obviously lose vision when somebody gets Mind Controlled.

screen264.png
screen265.png

Yep, here's the moment we all knew was coming GrammaNazi. That's great reaction fire actually but of course the hit bounces and-

screen266.png
screen267.png

Holy shit. GrammaNazi you are one lucky bastard.

screen269.png
screen270.png
screen271.png

The Siliacoid and Celatid are about as threatening as a team as they are on their own. I'm not even sure the Celatid benefits from the smoke the Siliacoid kicks up because its technically a flying unit.

screen274.png

Look sharp.

screen278.png
screen284.png
screen285.png

There was certainly a death cry that time. I'm not ruling out the possibility that there are more Chryssalids on this map, but the chance is pretty remote.

screen286.png
screen287.png

In a hilarious twist of fate, @Overcast is shot and killed when I unwittingly tell him to walk past the hallway I'd left Spunt in.

screen289.png
screen291.png
screen292.png

Its pretty obvious that this is the room that leads to the alien brain entity, but I've held off on storming it while I clear out the rest of the base. Nothing really happens if you clear the rest of the map since you can only end the mission by killing the alien brain, but I felt like doing it because I'm a filthy completionist when I want to be.

screen297.png
screen308.png
screen314.png

Ethereal Leaders usually don't panic until shit is really fucked so there can't possibly be much left on the map.

screen318.png
screen323.png
screen324.png

TerribleIdeas pops a Siliacoid which makes like three we've encountered on this mission. They really should have been literally any other enemy to be honest. I move Sailing the Salty Seas up to support Tactical Wizard as he prepares to storm the brain room.

screen325.png
screen326.png

A Blaster Bomb with TerribleIdeas's name on it goes off just short of him. I'm surprised to find that not only is he not dead, he's totally uninjured.

screen332.png
screen333.png
screen334.png

Alien discipline is collapsing, but at least one of them still has enough mojo to seize control of TerribleIdeas, perhaps reasoning that a man who can survive a nuke unharmed is a worthy pawn.

screen338.png
screen339.png

Turnabout is fair play of course.

screen345.png
screen346.png
screen347.png

Jesus Christ. Mary the Goldsmith starts taking fire from a Sectopod that has apparently decided to be the final boss of this base.

screen348.png
screen349.png
screen350.png

There's still an Ethereal Commander camping out somewhere on this level fucking with our weaker-minded troops.

screen354.png
screen357.png

Mary's not having much luck with that Sectopod. The psionics are starting to not affect it just like with the first one we Mind Controlled too.

screen361.png
screen362.png
screen364.png
screen365.png
screen366.png
screen369.png
screen373.png
screen376.png

Man I could watch that thing go all day.

screen377.png
screen378.png

God damn it.

screen380.png
screen382.png
screen383.png

GrammaNazi tracks down the last Ethereal on the map and plugs it. The alien comically falls down a 1 meter wide hole made by one of the countless blaster bombs set off on this level.

screen429.png
screen430.png
screen435.png

The psionics team lobotomizes the Sectopod and forces it to stand still as Mary the Goldsmith and Alakazam223 pound away at it with plasma fire. Eventually its armor gives out and it flops over.

screen436.png
screen437.png

The Hidden Movement screen stops displaying, which is the tell that there are no enemy units actually left on the map. Tactical Sorcerer and Sailing the Salty Seas enter the brain room, which really looks more like a PTA meeting assembly hall than a room where the fate of the Earth is determined.

screen440.png

There's the brain monster. It has a kind of soft pulsating animation. You'd think this thing would be capable of psionic attacks, but apparently not. Like all other four-tile units it will be killed if the health of a single one of its tiles is reduced to zero. It also has ridiculously low health; you can easily win this mission if one of the Ethereals that spawns in the same room panics and sprays it with gunfire.

screen439.png
screen441.png

I have Sailing the Salty Sea take aim and fire first. I thought about doing something showy like having Dear Leader take the shot, but I figured the glory should go to the recruits that get there first. One shot is all it takes.

screen5002.png

screen422.png
screen423.png
screen424.png

BOOM, GET FUCKED AYYLMAOS

screen425.png

Up Next: Post Mortem

Attachments

• screen090.png
    screen090.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 30
  • screen118.png
    screen118.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 33
  • screen330.png
    screen330.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 30
  • screen331.png
    screen331.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
Proofreading is a mess because I didn't get any sleep last night. I'll iron it all out when I go to collect post IDs to make a table of contents in the op.

L50LasPak

kiwifarms.net
Post Mortem

Lorcan - UFO Cydonia's Fall Soundtrack - Waiting

screen000.png

So, admittedly, it went both better than I expected and worse. Better in that this thread got a lot more attention than I was expecting it to at a much faster rate. Worse in that honestly I made the game look really easy. I probably should have upped the difficulty at least one more level in retrospect.

Anyway, here are the endgame statistics:

screen443.png
screen444.png

Here is the list of casualties, not counting those who died on the Cydonia mission because the game ends immediately after you win so there's no way to access it:

screen002.png
screen004.png
screen005.png
screen006.png
screen007.png
screen008.png
screen009.png

No faces, you'll have to check back when you were recruited if its really that big a deal for you.

screen010.png
screen011.png
screen012.png
screen013.png

screen015.png
screen016.png
screen017.png
screen018.png
screen019.png
screen020.png
screen021.png
screen022.png
screen023.png
screen024.png
screen025.png
screen026.png
screen027.png
screen028.png
screen029.png
screen030.png
screen031.png
screen034.png

Why was it so easy?
Some of it was the game being less glitchy and janky than the original DOS version. I didn’t have to deal with any of the annoying shit like Chryssalid zombies keeping their weapons, the item limit, the thing where a four tile unit splits into a good and evil half if you Mind Control only part of it, etc.

However I think a big difference that drastically affected the gameplay was the addition of night vision. My 200+ casualties from the last time I played this game almost certainly came from night missions. In the original XCOM there is no night vision, and you’re forced to throw flares around. The thing is the flare lights up automatically when it touches the ground. So if a soldier is carrying a flare and is killed, they immediately light up the spot they fell on. This gives the enemies shooting at anyone nearby an accuracy bonus, which can easily eat away at your troops.

screen0100.png

What’s next for the thread?
A: I've got to proofread everything for sure, probably twice. It needs it pretty bad. Replace all three videos with downloaded versions incase they ever get struck from Youtube for some stupid reason. Add song titles, see if I can find credits for the random XCOM fanart I had lying around. Then collect links to all 20(ish) posts for a table of contents so it looks more tidy.

What will you play next?
Well, I thought about it for awhile, and I did finally make up my mind.

Terror From the Deep.jpg

(Yes, really. But not until I'm done cleaning this thread up.)

Attachments

• screen032.png
    screen032.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: