Let's Players originating from Something Awful - ft. VoidBurger, General Ironicus, Bob Kamoc

Tonberry

Everyone's (Favorite) Grudge
kiwifarms.net
She's a literal nobody with a tiny, stagnated audience and an internet presence that she's failed to grow organically despite trying to be an internet personality for more than a decade.
I feel like that's what makes her the perfect target for that kind of website, honestly. Most people who started out doing LPs along with her have either moved on or never really planned to make a living off of youtube to begin with. Most of the ones who stuck around have actual jobs and just do youtube for a hobby, maybe they have a patreon just in case people want to support them. They don't really care about views, which is basically the main pull a website like GB can offer you.

Void on the other hand is part of the select few that didn't mature in the slightest since the early 2010s. She's nearing her mid-thirties now and has done this for ages without ever breaking the 20k mark on her main channel, but she still thinks she can become the e-celeb she's always wanted to be any second now, she just needs some exposure. I'm pretty sure she'd take any deal those guys throw at her, as long as she gets to feel like she's finally developing some sort of career and moving towards the big leagues.

Last edited:

Pargon

Lost muh ‘nads in th’ Culture War
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel like that's what makes her the perfect target for that kind of website, honestly. Most people who started out doing LPs along with her have either moved on or never really planned to make a living off of youtube to begin with. Most of the ones who stuck around have actual jobs and just do youtube for a hobby, maybe they have a patreon just in case people want to support them. They don't really care about views, which is basically the main pull a website like GB can offer you.

Void on the other hand is part of the select few that didn't mature in the slightest since the early 2010s. She's nearing her mid-thirties now and has done this for ages without ever breaking the 20k mark on her main channel, but she still thinks she can become the e-celeb she's always wanted to be any second now, she just needs some exposure. I'm pretty sure she'd take any deal those guys throw at her, as long as she gets to feel like she's finally developing some sort of career and moving towards the big leagues.
Yeah, VB and more or less all of the SA LPers that rose above being a name on just one website failed to ride the wave in regularly streaming to build an audience and I think because of that very few people know who they are comparatively.

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
Look who reanimated all of a sudden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8L1n3P8dUQ

My understanding is the LP Clique is raging against 12 Minutes like they were against The Medium? Dunno if it's actually good or bad, just whatever their reasons are they're blowing it out of proportion?
oh, they sperg about any game with psychological themes because ONLY Silent Hill 2 is allowed to have rape in it.
edit: well, in this case it's incest but close enough

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
most stuff they screech about aren't even that shocking. It's why I hate Silent Hill 2 elitists - most of them are pretentious artsy faggots who sound like they've never seen a horror film and screech about transphobia in Silence of the Lambs.
Somebody should tie up void and make her watch a Serbian film like this
opera dario argento movie.jpg

Scarthew

kiwifarms.net
That's because youtube removed unlisted videos as a feature so all unlisted videos became private i.e. you can't watch them with the link anymore. happened bout a month ago.
Thats just flat out false, where you getting this from? public, unlisted, private are still there.

Soyicidal Tendencies

All I wanted was a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi!
kiwifarms.net
Thats just flat out false, where you getting this from? public, unlisted, private are still there.
YouTube changed all unlisted videos from before a certain date to private unless creators went in and changed it back themselves as a "security measure"

because fuck any dead creator, fuck any creator who doesn't like their own older work and won't bother going to fix it, fuck anyone who lost a password to an account, and fuck you most for wanting to watch these videos from the past that you adored

source: YouTube itself

Shabobus

kiwifarms.net
That's because youtube removed unlisted videos as a feature so all unlisted videos became private i.e. you can't watch them with the link anymore. happened bout a month ago.
It's hilarious Slowbeef took down the Billy videos but still has a video up of him telling a guy to kill himself because he talked over Snatcher's intro. The Billy stuff they did always seemed pretty tame compared to how they treated other LPers.

Scarthew

kiwifarms.net
around the time when they started doing the podcast they started making the claim that they "always took stuff down if asked to do so by the person" but that just wasnt the case at all. it was the start of the end as far as im concerned cause they were just covering their asses. the other part was youtube taking down channels for dmca claims so they were afraid to use other peoples videos and just riffed on really boring longplays which dragged the RP videos out too long.

By pressures from their peers, fans and youtube's impending iron grip as the platform grew they became shit and just backtracked everything they did.

BlueSpark

kiwifarms.net
around the time when they started doing the podcast they started making the claim that they "always took stuff down if asked to do so by the person" but that just wasnt the case at all. it was the start of the end as far as im concerned cause they were just covering their asses. the other part was youtube taking down channels for dmca claims so they were afraid to use other peoples videos and just riffed on really boring longplays which dragged the RP videos out too long.

By pressures from their peers, fans and youtube's impending iron grip as the platform grew they became shit and just backtracked everything they did.
Yeah, the "we took stuff down if it upset people" is bullshit. They took stuff down because Youtube deleted their old channels for harassment. That's also the reason they moved on to riffing longplays of videogames on their latest channel.

BlueSpark

kiwifarms.net
Imagine having VoidSperger as a daughter:

1633141872081.png

1633141924362.png

1633141974162.png

Imagine having VoidSperger as any relative:

1633141673091.png

1633141709027.png

Wow, imagine being so selfish that you'd attend something as unimportant as a wake without a mask and risk becoming a carrier for covid, putting VoidBurger's brother's life in danger! What a despicable person that aunt is!

1633143143072.png

1633143195103.png

1633143239743.png

Must have been really messy drinking that margarita through a mask, Karen.

hot hot leg

leg so hot u fry an eg
kiwifarms.net

LastTrainHome

kiwifarms.net
i read kfarms every so often just to see what's on the "happening" thing and stumbled upon this thread yesterday, and i've binge read the whole thing. i don't have any one post to quote because it's been a circus of shit to talk about, but i just want to say that i used to be on SA making let's plays a long time ago, and i was inspired by the early superstars, people like Proteus, Maxwell Adams, Tipping 40s, Niggurath, RooseveltMD, JohnnyLaw, and so on. there were so many cool people i looked up to who inspired me at a crucial moment in my life, and by doing some videos and games myself, picking things i loved to play and was good at, i finally made some permanent friends in my life, and by working with them and being productive on my own terms, was able to turn myself around for the better. i wasn't going to make an account, but seeing Proteus here and shooting the shit motivated me to share a lot of my own experiences and help fill in some blanks that i saw.

but first, again, thank you, @proteus4994 , for being you, for keeping your head while so many other people lost theirs. y'all can call me a bleeding heart fag as much as you want, but it brought a couple tears to my eyes knowing some people made it through alright. i had never known what happened to Diabeetus before this thread after he drifted away, and i was so god damn happy to see he apparently got married and found something special. i've wanted for a very long time to tell you, and as many others as i can, that i appreciate everything you did and for having a positive impact on me. it hurts me i may never get to tell Maxwell that, too, let alone my other heroes, but this is enough.

i can only really just ramble at this point on various topics. i never knew how far gone people like Voidburger were, and every page in this thread seemed to be documenting her despair. it was shocking to see how deep Chip & Ironicus had fallen down the social media rabbit hole and spent these last few years endlessly complaining about politics and choosing to wither away rather than improve. slowbeef too, medibot, psychedelic eyeball, fuck... and so many other people i used to be making videos alongside, who all had unique takes on things that stoked my own creativity. this self inflicted annihilation by so many people so suddenly is one of the most depressing things i've ever had to cope with in my short life. the whole decade of 2010-2020 has been characterized by a mass mental episode not unlike the plague of biting nuns in europe a few centuries back. or the children's crusade (look it up). and during this last decade, so many people who i used to think were good people, faithful people, suddenly flipped like tables tossed by alcoholic dads and kamikaze'd into the nearest wall because orange man bad. the last five years have been FUD unlike anything i could have imagined. everyone walks on egg shells and won't even risk being spontaneous or creative, or even to think anymore, because there's no telling what rule they'll break.

the place i want to start is just how bad the LP subforum has become. i haven't signed into my account since i got a great job, but SA had been going to shit for years leading up to that anyway. what other forum, besides resetERA, has a racial purity subforum? (the great race space, which was later renamed to minority rapport). SA's moderators are truly loathsome, and the LP mods banning people for arguing against them in confrontations they themselves started was something else. nine-gear crow is a piece of work. always came off like a guy who whips up a YOUR FAULT conflict out of thin air that's supposed to make others complain and resist so he can smash them and have it be their fault. that whole NRA game thing some dude was trying to LP had me speechless. i can strongly relate to how demoralizing it is just wanting to participate in something, play the game and upload videos, only to have a bunch of regulars pile in to harass you about how bad something they hate is and also trying to coerce you into thinking like they do. it's fucking evil.

i don't have any link to it right now but i bet you can find something dumb in one of the ace combat game threads crow was doing. NGC wrote a screed about how the two in-game nations at war, Yuktobania and Osea in Unsung War, were an allegory for what was going on IRL, jumping through so many fucking hoops to describe Trump as Putin's stooge and how the conspiracy of the game was so close to what happened after the 2016 prez election. whatever suspicions you have about crow, i guarantee you that you're 100% right. it was the most bizarre soapboxing i'd ever seen and i still feel a secondhand embarrassment so visceral for anyone whose eyes are raped by it that i could just fold myself into an origami crane and flap myself into the paper shredder Blizzard was using to destroy evidence.

but yeah, doesn't surprise me that, after that shmorky meltdown voidburger had, the resulting schism in the LP subforum destroyed the last of its cohesion and allowed the inmates to run the asylum.

i want to talk briefly about Freelance Astronauts and what i think they represented to the whole of LPs. the internet was a wild west back then. death threats were a form of 'hello'. i wonder how many people would today could handle even a few seconds being signed in on battle.net 1.0, let alone Ogden's Tavern during the prime time of Diablo 1. you could just be yourself, be free. you could experiment, be spontaneous, and try new things.

what i think made Maxwell Adams and his friends so endearing is that Maxwell himself was a huge, knowledgeable nerd that never raised his voice in anger. guys like him were trailblazers for the suburbian internet (think pewdiepie, markiplier, etc), just friends having fun in what was very much an age of curiosity and exploration. travelers off a beaten path carousing around a campfire, a chance encounter. who the hell could have seen the internet coming, right? it was all so new. nobody had a clue what it'd bring. it was a magical time. the fact people were playing video games online and making smart ass comments, sharing their experiences to everyone who had an internet provider? that was so much fun. speaking personally, it helped fill a deep void in my own life. i'd just never had any friends, and often times i was rejected by adults, too. overtime i discovered youtube, stumbled upon my first favorite accounts, like James Rolfe, Noah Antwiler, RooseveltMD, and of course, Freelance Astronauts, because i also liked video games and was growing up with them, having had an NES and a Playstation. the seaman LP was the first actual LP i'd ever watched, and i was so young i had no idea what was going on, but they were all having fun, always laughing, always making jokes. as i aged, i was discovering and watching more and more of their stuff, learning more about them. it was so long ago their site actually still worked, with all the embeds. i can even remember the time when Maxwell was uploading that Cargo game, i watched it when it was new, the only LP of theirs i'd seen when they began. then i found the lparchive...

time's all a blur for me around there, but then came the day i got heavy into the game reviewer craze, because it helped me learn about stuff i'd never gotten to play on systems that'd been phased out, and because i just liked hearing people yell and bash on shit since i was an angry emo edgelord too. these days, people like spoony disgust me in a lot of ways, while AVGN still has kept himself authentic, and i couldn't be happier for James especially since he was able to start a family. those days were so cozy, like every waking hour was a new mystique to get immersed in.

at some point i also discovered Tipping Forties, and their friendship dynamic was and still is the kind i wish i could have. Ryan, Kevin, Michael, and Alex were the perfect LPers. it wasn't just about playing the game, they were having drinking games, getting mad and brash with each other, but always laughing, always being good to one another. it was always hilarious when their girlfriends got involved, too. i was heartbroken that when they did their second-to-last LP together, final fantasy x-2, Alex left. it was by this point that the whole LP thing was gradually falling out of vogue on SA, and when Ryan and Kevin decided to do FFXV, i was super glad i could be around for a t40s let's play from the start.

but that's when i noticed the problem, and it was a problem that for a long time i tried to ignore because of my happier memories.

Ryan, by this LP, had become very... withdrawn. the whole LP was disastrous, didn't have their usual energy. FFXV is a shit game, but the T40s, even with occasional visits by Mike in some episodes, were obviously just not the same. listen to Ryan in any FF15 video, or hell, any video in other LPs he's done with other people after T40s, and then go watch videos like the New Super Mario Bros or original Final Fantasy X series they started with. he just had no energy. he sounds so dejected. what made it worse was an offhand comment Kevin made during FFXV at some point that Ryan had been bitching about Trump a lot. i don't think Ryan maintains any kind of social media, but i'm pretty sure he lives in or around san francisco, so... go figure.

sorry for the wall of text, but yeah, this whole thread was fascinating from start to finish, and i was able to relive some of my best memories through it. something proteus said here earlier, too, i agree with: you could find great people on SA. it's sad that so many people who had potential became bitter husks, and it's seriously depressing to see others vanish completely along with their content. i really wish i could rewatch a lot of Roosevelt's harry potter stuff. but, it also warms me to know that some survived the slings and arrows of the internet and came out better.

Megaroad 2012

I'M FACE FULL OF FLOOR AND LIFE SUCKS!
kiwifarms.net
most stuff they screech about aren't even that shocking. It's why I hate Silent Hill 2 elitists - most of them are pretentious artsy faggots who sound like they've never seen a horror film and screech about transphobia in Silence of the Lambs.
Somebody should tie up void and make her watch a Serbian film like this
View attachment 2474810
Off topic but SH1 3 and even 4 I like more than 2.

Objectively 2 is a really good game and I loved it at the time but parroting retards have seriously drained my appreciation of it.

Also voidboogers mindless consumerism of "i rather have more sh than no quality sh" is vapid and shallow.