Let's Watch: Legend of the Galactic Hero - Anime Done Right, Subtitles>Dubbing

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
In another part of this wonderful site the discussion came up about one of my most favoritist anime's : Legend of the Galactic Hero. I thought it might be fun to watch this show with others on here who have an attention span longer than an Instagram 'model'.

Description of the Show:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (銀河英雄伝説 Ginga Eiyū Densetsu), referred to as Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel (incorrect German, translating to "heroic tales from the cosmic island") in the opening credits and sometimes abbreviated as LOTGH (銀英伝 Gin'eiden), is a series of science fiction novels written by Yoshiki Tanaka. In humanity's distant future, two interstellar states – the monarchic Galactic Empire and the democratic Free Planets Alliance – are embroiled in a never-ending war. The story focuses on the exploits of rivals Reinhard von Lohengramm and Yang Wen-li as they rise to power and fame in the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance respectively.

This show is by far one of the most elaborate, long running, thought capturing, and intriguing shows ever put on TV. There are over 150 episodes to watch in order to fully understand all the hundreds (yes hundreds) of characters. Now because I'm a level 34 Warlock/Autist one must watch this show in a certain order to understand everything fully.

As such here is the bestest way to watch the show (with links to watch for FREE):

Chronological order of episodes and films:
  • Spiral Labyrinth (Side Stories / Gaiden 2, episodes 1-14 STOP @14)

• Valley of White Silver (Side Stories / Gaiden 1, episodes 1-4 WATCH ALL)
  • Those Who Revolt / Mutineer (SS / G2, ep. Watch: 15-18 )
  • Those Who Duel / Duelist (SS / G2, ep. Watch 19-22)

• Those Who Recapture / Survivors (SS / G2, ep. 23-26 )
  • Morning's Dream, Night's Song (SS / G1, ep. 5-8 )
  • A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (SS / G1, ep. 13-24 )

Part 1:

Part 2:

• The Third Tiamat Battle (SS / G2, ep. 27-28 )
  • My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
  • Disgrace (SS / G1, ep. 9-12)

• Main OVA series (STORY BEGINS!)

FAQ:

1. How long is this series: Approximately 60 hours give or take

2. "I can't watch this long of a show!": You'll spend more time in MS paint drawing clown hair on a frog than watching an episode. Take the show slow episode at a time.

3. "One of your links is bad/doesn't work!": Help a brutha out and find me one that does.

4. "Why should I watch this weeb shit! Cartoons are for kids!": This show combines epic space battles (Star Wars), huge character arcs with many main and sub players (GOT), political intrigue done right (Star Trek), and well written dialogue with characters you care about (True Detective). This is a VERY slow show but once you are drawn in (like a Soap Opera or Tellanovella) you will not want the ride to end.

5. "I can't be bothered to read this shit! Where are the English dubs!?!?": FACT- Subtitles are vastly superior in every way to Dubbing. The language is crisper, the cadence and sounds are spot on, and frankly 99% of english dubs are shit. Learn to read.

6. "Why did you do waste all this time doing this shit?" - The Lord works in mysterious ways and if I can bring a bit of culture to you Exceptional potatoes I'll put this down as my "Good Deed" for the day.

UPDATE: Removed Golden Wings as it adds nothing to the story you don't already know.

Last edited:

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
but no seriously, good show that could have been great if it didn't drag along so hard.

That's part of the allure of the show. It's a long running Band of Brothers docudrama on Galactic spanning war with two opposing characters at the heart of this saga.

There are certain episodes you can skip and I removed them from the list as they were Rehash episodes that serve no purpose.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So wait, it's highly recommended to watch side-stories first before starting the main 110-episode OVA series? :stress:

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
So wait, it's highly recommended to watch side-stories first before starting the main 110-episode OVA series? :stress:

Yes so you get to know the main characters before you dig into the main story as you will go "Who the fuck is this guy?" Faster than the scene from Major League.

Look, I know it employs faggoty-ass VAs, but I don't have time to sit there and read my silly Asian cartoons.

Don't be lazy, suck it up buttercup, get some learnings in ya.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I'm almost done with the Yang Wen-li Arc in Spiral Labyrinth. Many characters you will see later in the shows start to appear here. You get a good view into what Yang's life was like before he got swept up into all the insanity that follows.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
(((Phezzan)))

Also Yang best husbandu

1564625432665.jpg

Best husbandu reacting to the shitty remake. The German dub makes sense if only because I'm sure they're all talking German in the GINGA TEIKOKU

"Galactic Kaiserreich" is an accurate description of the Galactic Empire.

I'm done sperging for now. It's both mine and my SO's favorite anime, and the writing, music, and animation are all better than most anime in the past 30 years, likely BECAUSE it was an OVA.

Another page in the history of the Galaxy...

Last edited:

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
There is something to be said for Japanese having an easier time pronouncing GERMAN than they do with english. I just don't get it and I giggle like a school girl everytime they shout out "KAISER!" because it's one of the most bonkers words that I'd never expect to escape Japanese lips.

Friend's don't let friends watch the remake...OG4LYFE

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Finished Valley of the White Stars, Mutineers, and Duelists. Decent episodes to see the early life of Reinhard and Kerchies and how they basically luck/skill their way out of events before they are murdered brutally.

I picture the Kaiser as Freddy Fasbear anytime he appears on screen with black pools for eyes and looks like he's gonna start killing everyone.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I've watched all the basics, the last few prequels setup the main OVA fantastically well. Yang Wen-li is tired of war, tired of his idiot commanders and wants to retire to study history in a museum like Indiana Jones. Rinehard/Kircheis the obviously not gay duo when written in the 80s, made into anime in the 90s, and today would totes be a couple today just got their battleship after crushing all the dumb bastards that prevented them from succeeding. Both are on a collision course for the Iserlohn fortress which is impenetrable. I know what happens (second time watching the series) but the build is quite good, 20 min episodes make this series fly by.

Crichax

Repented Before The Emperor
kiwifarms.net
The main OVA link just lists episode 1. If I'm right, this is the playlist for that series.

I wouldn't know for sure, since I haven't started watching this yet. But thank you for letting me know about this show.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
The main OVA link just lists episode 1. If I'm right, this is the playlist for that series.

I wouldn't know for sure, since I haven't started watching this yet. But thank you for letting me know about this show.

If you click that link you'll see at the bottom right the playlist appears if you are in theater mode. All 100 episodes are in that users youtube channel I think.

SPOILERS AHOY!

Yang has captured Iserlohn fortress using techniques that I learned in boy scouts. The gov't won't let Yang retire but it appears that Job Truhit (who looks like George Walker Bush) has a private milatary corps that he plans on doing something with.

The empire is a fucking bunch of chuckleheads who barely escaped an assassination attempt on their kaiser because he had a stomach ache, Kircheis captures a planet with a gas bomb, and is so blueballed over Reinhard's sister that I cannot wait for Reinhard to kill the old bastard so Kircheis gets over fawning on her.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Special Note: whenever you hear any character use lines that were literally used in Imperial Japan to justify anything, you know they're holding the idiot ball.

And here's something to trigger everyone: here's the time LOGH was LEAFED RAW by Ocean Studios