LGBTQiwis -

FuckedUp

Imperfect
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this should be moved to the serious thread, but...
Discrimination doesn't tend to happen in the workplace because you identify as an LGBTQ scientist, or whatever your profession may be, though. Discrimination happens because you're a scientist who happens to be LGBTQ, so that's what other people consider you to be and some people are ignorant dicks. Absolutely consider yourself a scientist first and foremost, in fact you'd be doing yourself and your hard work a disservice if you didn't, but a lot of people who experience discrimination in the workforce due to their sexuality don't experience it because they made it a central focus of their identity and profession (I've known people who didn't even come out to their colleagues, they just happened to see them out with their spouse). They experience it because others did that.
You know the reason the "programming socks" meme exists, right? If anything, being gay in and of itself is relatively normie for STEM these days.

I was in a discord server with a gay man who constantly complained about the "homophobia" in their CS major. He also made it known that he really didn't like STEM as a field and only chose it because his parents forced him to pick something other than humanities. He also gave off heavy social justice vibes, like one time he literally changed his username to "yikes". Right before I left the server, he was whining about how much he hated his Python class (in his Junior year) because it was too much work and ended up dropping it. If he couldn't handle Python, I don't think he'd do any better at fucking Evergreen or Oberlin.

Coupled with the fact he's an SJW, the "homophobia" he was referring to was probably things like gay jokes and usage of the word "faggot". My friends occasionally joke about my (((background))) and I'm not offended because I don't have a victim complex.

When someone says welcome to the community, they mean it as a heart-felt gesture because coming out is hard
lol, a couple hours before first posting in this thread, I was going to reply to a negatively-received post in the TLOU2 thread that mentioned the possibility of model-swapping Abby with Joel in the sex scene, and say "actually, I'm into guys and that scene would be a LOT less awful if it were Joel getting assfucked", but decided not to simply because I didn't feel like getting inundated with green crescents and scouters.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
lol, a couple hours before first posting in this thread, I was going to reply to a negatively-received post in the TLOU2 thread that mentioned the possibility of model-swapping Abby with Joel in the sex scene, and say "actually, I'm into guys and that scene would be a LOT less awful if it were Joel getting assfucked", but decided not to simply because I didn't feel like getting inundated with green crescents and scouters.
Excuse you, its a green cresent with a star.

mellifluous

And how does that make you feel?
kiwifarms.net
You know the reason the "programming socks" meme exists, right? If anything, being gay in and of itself is relatively normie for STEM these days.

I was in a discord server with a gay man who constantly complained about the "homophobia" in their CS major. He also made it known that he really didn't like STEM as a field and only chose it because his parents forced him to pick something other than humanities. He also gave off heavy social justice vibes, like one time he literally changed his username to "yikes". Right before I left the server, he was whining about how much he hated his Python class (in his Junior year) because it was too much work and ended up dropping it. If he couldn't handle Python, I don't think he'd do any better at fucking Evergreen or Oberlin.

Coupled with the fact he's an SJW, the "homophobia" he was referring to was probably things like gay jokes and usage of the word "faggot". My friends occasionally joke about my (((background))) and I'm not offended because I don't have a victim complex.
I don't know this boy, it's entirely possible that was the case because there definitely are people like that, but it's not as if homophobia doesn't exist. In my experience, most people who talk about people being homophobic toward them aren't just being snowflakes.

I feel like we're going to have to agree to disagree here because I feel like we're veering into territory where it can come across like I'm trying to convince you personally you'll experience homophobia, which I can't possibly know and I obviously hope you never do.

It's used because it's a lot more likely the person will have found coming out hard and will appreciate it than not. It's not as if people who were raised in homophobic environments and/or live in homophobic communities don't exist (although I believe it's valid to struggle with coming out even if that's not the case).

People being killed for their sexuality isn't an SJW myth. I grew up in a nieghbourhood where that happened, so I can attest to it. Hearing that kind of thing after growing up in an environment like that, after growing up in the household I did, meant a lot. Like I said, it was meant as a goodwill gesture. If you didn't need it, that's fine and it seems silly to continue arguing the toss over it.

Best to stop shitting up the thread, I'd say.
Mandatory 🌈🌈🌈 to get the thread back to a casual, LGBTQ spirit and whatnot.

• Feels
Reactions: awoo and FuckedUp

FuckedUp

Imperfect
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, I've become hesitant to believe any claims of oppression whatsoever thanks to Current Year.

It's funny, I really just came out on here for the hell of it, but I unexpectedly ended up feeling sort of liberated.

I decided to come out to my parents this morning and they hugged me, said they love me regardless of orientation, and wished me luck finding the right man. Also, kind of ironic being the only non-straight one in the family when you're also the least left-wing politically—pretty sure I'm the only one who thinks bakers shouldn't be forced to bake gay wedding cakes.

Still debating coming out to my friends, though.

polonium

By your genders combined, I am Captain Tumblr
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm just afraid it'll sound awkward if unprompted.
I mean, don't start wearing skintight jeans and mesh tops, and studded girl's belts and lisping. Just don't avoid bringing your "totally not gay just bi honest even though I think vag looks like a dropped pie" boyfriend up in conversation when it's appropriate.

mellifluous

And how does that make you feel?
kiwifarms.net
It's funny, I really just came out on here for the hell of it, but I unexpectedly ended up feeling sort of liberated.

I decided to come out to my parents this morning and they hugged me, said they love me regardless of orientation, and wished me luck finding the right man.
It makes sense. Even if coming out wasn't that big of a deal for you, it's still talking openly for the first time about something that's existed only in your head for a long time. It's out now. You can just life your life.

Really happy for you!

I'm just afraid it'll sound awkward if unprompted.
That's understandable. It obviously depends on the friend group, but I did what @polonium recommended since I had the same worry and it worked out fine. For most of my friends, I just started acting as if I'd already came out to them, in the sense I didn't refrain from talking about women anymore and if I met someone, I'd just introduce them as I would have done with a guy. If someone asked, I confirmed it and I'd mention it if it came up in casual conversation, so they figured it out soon enough.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
I'm in a more awkward spot, especially in regards to the fact that, well, I have a (long distance) boyfriend. My parents and extended family are predominately fundie types so just coming out won't be all that easy. I have come out to my parents last year and that went over fine all things considered (essentially a "We don't agree about it but we still love and support you as our son" response), but they don't know about the relationship yet as that started early this year. Nobody else in the family knows my orientation either.

polonium

By your genders combined, I am Captain Tumblr
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm in a more awkward spot, especially in regards to the fact that, well, I have a (long distance) boyfriend. My parents and extended family are predominately fundie types so just coming out won't be all that easy. I have come out to my parents last year and that went over fine all things considered (essentially a "We don't agree about it but we still love and support you as our son" response), but they don't know about the relationship yet as that started early this year. Nobody else in the family knows my orientation either.
Yeah, that's a more difficult one for sure. It's easier to write off a bad friend breaking off contact than it is a relative.
It can be tough on them to come to terms with too, especially if they're secretly harbouring a wish you'll snap out of it. I'm not suggesting that should excuse a family member putting something like who you are attracted to before their familial relationship: that's a fucked up thing to do, but I can somewhat understand having your world view challenged like that.

I thought I was going to have trouble with the parents, my brother and sister knew but nobody else. My Dad's a bit of a weirdo and we never have seen eye to eye, but ultimately it worked out. I live on the other side of the planet to the rest of my family, for no particular reason, it's not like I was fleeing from them or anything, but it did give me an easy out - if coming out went tits-up, I could always get on the plane and fly away and not have to deal with it. Thankfully they were fine. I was home one Christmas and while we were all together one evening I said "Why is it better to be black than gay? Because you don't have to tell your parents you're black. By the way I'm not black."

Best of luck, I guess. Especially with a long distance relationship. Hope it works out.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just finished my sophomore year with a CS and Math double-major with a 3.7 GPA and near-perfect (was perfect until last semester) CS GPA. Last fall I took an upper-level CS course over a year early and not only aced it, but got the highest overall % in the class of >30 (which I know because scaled percentages were posted online and mine was 100). Took five summer classes, four of which were STEM, during an internship and got all A's; the following fall, I took six STEM courses ranging from moderately to notoriously difficult and got five A's and one B+. I've earned the reputation of "the smart one" in my social circle. I'm on track to graduate next spring.

This. I cringe so hard whenever I hear it.
This powerleveling is cringe.

Absolutely consider yourself a scientist first and foremost, in fact you'd be doing yourself and your hard work a disservice if you didn't, but a lot of people who experience discrimination in the workforce due to their sexuality don't experience it because they made it a central focus of their identity and profession (I've known people who didn't even come out to their colleagues, they just happened to see them out with their spouse). They experience it because others did that.
Encouraging a 20 year old uni student whos bragging about their grades on kiwifarms to consider themselves a scientist is cringe, too. Give advice for students, not for professional careers probably 10 years away. Anyone who claims to be a 'scientist' is generally a fucking retard anyways.

This thread is cringe. I'll meet you all on the roof.

Tags
None