Life After Death - What Happens

The Pink Panther

It eeez what it eeez
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No seriously, what the fuck happens. The worst fear is always the fear of the unknown and I want to know what the fuck happens after we die. I don't want to die and then all of a sudden everything fucking ends and I'll never be able to come back. That's the worst fear in the fucking world and this is a question that is on my mind every once in a while when I look at the night skies above. SURELY, one religion had to have been right about what happens.

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
It really depends whether you believe in God/karma/etc. If there's no higher power, I'd have to figure we probably just die and that's it. If there is a higher power concerned with the ultimate fate of human beings, then I would take it they have a plan. And if there's some sort of ultimate, impersonal force (the Tao or something like that), there could be an afterlife, but it might not be anything like heaven or hell (Buddhists believe it's better to escape the cycle of reincarnation).

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Azafran90

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.

If you postulate consciousness as emergent and not innate, then that means you basically die every time you sleep and you already know what happens. This begs the question: why fear the void, especially if we're already intimately familiar with it from a lifetime ofーadmittedly imperfectーexperience. From where I'm standing, fear of death isn't actually fear of death itself; it's a fear of two distinct things related to but separate from death itself: fear of dying and fear of the life not lived. Fear of dying is pretty obvious as it's really just an extension of the fear of pain and suffering taken to its logical extreme. If it sucks to be hurt, then it must really suck to be hurt so bad you die, right? Pain has been around for a long time and we've developed extensive coping mechanisms that you can study if you feel so inclined, but at the bare minimum it's not an unknown quantity. You can understand it and learn to deal with it.

The second is the fear of the life not lived, of which I can really sympathize. Look at any worthy discipline or study and you'll hear the same lament: "life is short, the art long!". The thought of missing something or living anything other than your best life is definitely terrifying, but it's fundamentally quite similar to FOMO. We can name it, we can study it, and if you want to come to terms with it there are handles that you can grasp to do so. But imo the most important thing to remember is the simplest: focus first on living your life.

I think Modest Mouse's Isaac Brock said it best: "It's hard to remember [it's hard to remember] we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember [it's hard to remember] we're alive for the last time. It's hard to remember [it's hard to remember] to live, before you die."
I'm of the steadfast opinion that if you can remember this, the rest will come together on its own.

FunPosting101

Ebin posting only. No other posts allowed. :DDDD
kiwifarms.net
Nobody knows, and the question is basically unanswerable since nobody has been brought back from death after more then at most a few minutes of clinical death. I'm an atheist, and I'm reasonably certain that you just cease to exist, but at the same time even I don't know that for certain. What I do know is that you are alive right now, and probably should be focused on the one life you know that you have for certain. Whatever that life means for you is up to you.

Star Trek probably explains it best

The afterlife is a non-euclidean form of existence that you cannot comprehend. Much like how life was before you were born.
I will never understand the appeal of Star Trek. I think I've been exposed to too much pretentious nerd culture that came from it that I can't stand it. That clip is incredibly embarrassing, like almost every shot of Star Trek is.

I find the process of death is way more interesting than what comes afterwards. I think it has to be the single most painful experience any human being can ever go through. Far beyond any pain that we suffer in life, so long as we live, and no matter what that pain is. Too often people trivialize death, and because they're so far removed from it they just think it's some quick, painless experience. Yet, our mind has the ability to warp our own time perception. Hell is just the eternal experience of death.

Tags
None