Life After Death - What Happens

Cedric_Eff

Damn property taxes f**k up everything.
kiwifarms.net
I like the simplicity of my belief.

If you have accepted Jesus in your heart, your spirit goes to Heaven.

If you didn't, Hell.

Not going to argue, not going to debate, people can freely believe what they choose to, that's just what I believe in. Short, sweet and to the point.
Not only accepting Jesus into your heart, but accepting God’s commandments and live by them.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I think it makes more sense to say your consciousness lives on in some way than to say it simply blinks out of existence.

I think at the very least your consciousness simply folds in on itself and you experience a dream that lasts forever.

Maybe when we dream we already visit the afterlife, I had an uncle who died of a stroke a few years ago and I’ve had dreams where he was there that sometimes feel all too real.

Or maybe your life simply starts over again from the beginning.

I'm hoping for heaven and hell. Where you can spend eternity with loved ones in a comfortable house, but there's also areas you can live out whatever fantasy you want.
This is how I like to think of at least part of Heaven as being a place where you can live out whatever fantasy you want.

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
I think it's better to think that each life is of a unique and different person, rather than losing one's identity and becoming a different person over and over and over. Especially if the afterlife allows each person to grow and develop forever, free from hellish mortal limits (disease, injury, starvation...).
I'm actually with you there! A soul who's identity grows is much more worthwhile and meaningful than being entirely something else at random.

One personal afterlife I thought of (and I like to think it's optional) is a person living the same life again, but with improvements. Maybe he rectifies mistakes or things turn out 10x better than before.

Sundae

Grim-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
Personally I like to believe there is some sort of afterlife. I just hate the idea that I'll never see my loved ones again (including pets that have died), so to me the thought that we just cease to exist once we die is a horrifying one.

I was born and raised in a Christian family, and while I may not be that devout in the faith, I still believe there is a God. That said, over the past few years I've given a lot of thought to the idea of reincarnation. I think there might be something to it, after hearing all the stories of people who supposedly have memories of past lives.

I just want to believe that life continues on in some form after death, that death isn't truly the end, just the next stage in one's existence.

That said everyone has a right to believe what they want. If people don't want to believe in an afterlife, that's their prerogative. Likewise for those who do believe in one.

Bumblino

kiwifarms.net
Okay guys I've read enough cringe fanfic to know the answer:

You get reincarnated into an anime world, you are granted a videogame superpower and then you get to build your own harem and be an edgy retard to everyone. Then halfway through everything stops because the creator of said universe realized he didn't know where he was going with this from the beginning and also is too lazy to figure out a way to end it. But then it starts all over again.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm actually with you there! A soul who's identity grows is much more worthwhile and meaningful than being entirely something else at random.
That said everyone has a right to believe what they want.
To me, "traditional" hell is the most horrifying afterlife - unending torture. Better than that is reincarnation or recurrence because it's not pure suffering, but it's still hell. Even better yet is nonexistence, because at least in the void, one isn't aware one doesn't exist, and the experience of separation from loved ones is over because there's no more experience. But of course, the best kind of afterlife to me is unending Heaven.

As for "past life memories", the 2 theories I like is that there's non-supernatural explanations (they're not really memories of "past lives"), or that one accesses the memories of others who went on before, believing them to be one's own.

When I'm done with this mortal life, I'm done with mortal life.

The Great Chandler

kiwifarms.net
Personally I like to believe there is some sort of afterlife. I just hate the idea that I'll never see my loved ones again (including pets that have died), so to me the thought that we just cease to exist once we die is a horrifying one.
Here once again, I like to think that even as a soul in another plane of existence, you can at least watch over your loved ones or even influence with them in some subtle shape or form, like would a ghost or spirit. They just won't notice it, but it depends on whatever laws and physics of the universe. It probably depends how close you were with them as well. If possible, you might actually visit them in whatever world if the afterlife is that liberal enough.

Regarding death itself, some attribute death as "a great change". Hence all those metaphors of shedding their skins as in creating a new and all.

• Agree
Reactions: Sundae

Bumblino

kiwifarms.net
To me, "traditional" hell is the most horrifying afterlife - unending torture. Better than that is reincarnation or recurrence because it's not pure suffering, but it's still hell. Even better yet is nonexistence, because at least in the void, one isn't aware one doesn't exist, and the experience of separation from loved ones is over because there's no more experience. But of course, the best kind of afterlife to me is unending Heaven.

As for "past life memories", the 2 theories I like is that there's non-supernatural explanations (they're not really memories of "past lives"), or that one accesses the memories of others who went on before, believing them to be one's own.

When I'm done with this mortal life, I'm done with mortal life.
I actually agree with most of this. My perfect vision is not really reincarnation but neverending travel, one reality after another, all different from one another throughout infinity, the whole "the journey never ends" idea is my favourite. I would also take the idea of heaven and hell but hell as you said is terrifying, it's a 50/50 gamble where a big enough slip up can mean eternal damnation and pain however the reward is worth it, bliss and meeting up with everyone that you lost again makes me feel really fuzzy and warm inside. Reincarnation in the same world would be absolutely ass for me, the idea that I could come back again doesn't appeal to me at all, I want to go forwards no matter what it is or what shape it takes, reincarnation seems like a dizzying caroussel that never stops and I don't like reality enough to love the idea of spending eternity in this shithole under different clothing. The void even if it's unsatisfying at least merits the idea that it's done, which is acceptable even if it's not favorable, however it kinda is hell, being alive believing everyone you loved and lost is gone forever never to return is really jarring to me.

As to what I believe, I feel like heaven and hell is the one that feels real to me. Maybe you can opt off hell by reincarnation or something, but I do feel there's a place where your lost ones wait for you to come back. Not really a hard reason as to why, it just rings true to my heart.

Merried Senior Comic

Half-Man, Half-Jerk
kiwifarms.net
I think it makes more sense to say your consciousness lives on in some way than to say it simply blinks out of existence.

I think at the very least your consciousness simply folds in on itself and you experience a dream that lasts forever.

Maybe when we dream we already visit the afterlife, I had an uncle who died of a stroke a few years ago and I’ve had dreams where he was there that sometimes feel all too real.

Or maybe your life simply starts over again from the beginning.

This is how I like to think of at least part of Heaven as being a place where you can live out whatever fantasy you want.
I really, really hope this isn't the case as all of my dreams are confusing and horrifying.

• Agree
Reactions: Sundae

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
In trillions of years, post-humans will have the computing power to recreate not just anyone who ever existed, but anyone who could have ever existed. You could consider that an afterlife, it depends on whether that would actually be you or just a perfect computer simulation of you.
Why do you think it's possible to recreate a person? For many reasons - one could say infinite reasons - such a thing is impossible.

Large

kiwifarms.net
Why do you think it's possible to recreate a person? For many reasons - one could say infinite reasons - such a thing is impossible.
In trillions of years, post-humans will have the computing power to recreate not just anyone who ever existed, but anyone who could have ever existed. You could consider that an afterlife, it depends on whether that would actually be you or just a perfect computer simulation of you.
Let's say, hypothetically, you fill a bathtub with water. Now you start removing the water through the drain and that water vortex thingy is created. If you repeat those steps again after the bathtub is empty, will you create the previous water vortex thingy? No, because you destroyed the system that the water vortex thingy was and the next one will just be a new system.

The Great Chandler

kiwifarms.net
I actually agree with most of this. My perfect vision is not really reincarnation but neverending travel, one reality after another, all different from one another throughout infinity, the whole "the journey never ends" idea is my favourite. I would also take the idea of heaven and hell but hell as you said is terrifying, it's a 50/50 gamble where a big enough slip up can mean eternal damnation and pain however the reward is worth it, bliss and meeting up with everyone that you lost again makes me feel really fuzzy and warm inside. Reincarnation in the same world would be absolutely ass for me, the idea that I could come back again doesn't appeal to me at all, I want to go forwards no matter what it is or what shape it takes, reincarnation seems like a dizzying caroussel that never stops and I don't like reality enough to love the idea of spending eternity in this shithole under different clothing. The void even if it's unsatisfying at least merits the idea that it's done, which is acceptable even if it's not favorable, however it kinda is hell, being alive believing everyone you loved and lost is gone forever never to return is really jarring to me.

As to what I believe, I feel like heaven and hell is the one that feels real to me. Maybe you can opt off hell by reincarnation or something, but I do feel there's a place where your lost ones wait for you to come back. Not really a hard reason as to why, it just rings true to my heart.
I like the Zoroastrianism take in Hell were it's actually a temporary place depending on the crime. Also by the end, every soul eventually earns salvation. Also it isn't so rigid about good deeds or bad deeds, just as long as you aren't hurting others.

Last edited:

Bumblino

kiwifarms.net
I like the Zoroastrianism take in Hell were it's actually a temporary place depending on the crime. Also by the end, every soul eventually earns salvation. Also it isn't so rigid about good deeds or bad feds, just as long as you aren't hurting others.
Sounds more reasonable, I could live with that, a hell where you can purge your sins. I like some rigidness about bad or good deeds though, I mostly feel lost as to whether I am good or not, really insecure about what constitutes being morally upright or not and to what degree one thing balances over the other regarding the good that you did vs the bad that you did. But I like to think that the fact that I care about being good and I try my best to be good is good enough at the end of it all. I like to think the judge of souls will know your struggle and that you tried to be kind even if you ultimately failed or that you regretted and despised what you did even if it was truly evil.

Slightly off-topic side-note: I remembered when I was a kid I used to like thinking that every god existed in one way or another up there. A massive congregation of all mythologies was something I really liked the idea of in my youth. This thread is making me feel quite nostalgic about all that so gotta thank you guys for bringing me a nostalgia trip (a good one though).

Bumblino

kiwifarms.net
I believe in souls. I think your soul is pretty much up to auction to be claimed by whichever God when you die. Or you can remain unpicked in a shitty boring void where there is basically nothing. Don't stress too hard about it. I don't think we live in Hell but our realm Midgard is definitely the most meh realm.
>Tfw you're the last soul to be picked off of the auction and you see the auctioneer feeling bad for you.

I like your take though, sounds really creative. What do you think makes one soul more worthy than other? Or is it just each god's criteria (like one appreciates kindness, other war capabilities, other judgement etc)? I like how it sounds though, you're worthy in the eyes of some gods but not others.

Tags
None