TGWTG Linkara / Lewis Lovhaug - HMMMMMMM? (Dead Gay Muppet Gangbang)

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
He is more interested in feeding off comics versus contributing to comics.

It might have been trash, but lightbringer did contribute to comics as a whole. It was made, it existed, people discussed it, and a few people even tried to make their own version of it.

Atop The fourth wall doesn't say anything we don't already know. It doesn't educate, elevate, or start conversations as much as reiterate accepted statements of fact. It's as informative as going "water is wet" in the comic book space.

Nowadays, modern YouTube viewers looking to know more about comics don't watch atop The 4th wall. They watch variant comics, comics explained or comicstropes.

A startling number of people know Lewis exists. He was even featured as a "runner up" in watchmojos top comic channels (i suspect they were flooded by his fans with recommendations of Lewis's show, and the editor actually watched it and was like "this is garbage, but he's got autistic fans. Throw him in as a runner up").

But, he's not getting the numbers
I actually watched Linkara's content back in the day and I think the reason was that I was a person that never really read comics, so Linkara's talking about a fresh comic and storyline was more approachable than a podcast that will go way deeper into characters and plots I knew nothing about. I think this is, ironically, due to Linkara's lack of knowledge in comics beyond popular talking points.

LordofCringe7206

kiwifarms.net
I actually watched Linkara's content back in the day and I think the reason was that I was a person that never really read comics, so Linkara's talking about a fresh comic and storyline was more approachable than a podcast that will go way deeper into characters and plots I knew nothing about. I think this is, ironically, due to Linkara's lack of knowledge in comics beyond popular talking points.
I feel like though he is capable of doing good analysis when he wants to. It might just depend on how invested he is into the comic he is viewing. His One More Day review was in my opinion extremely well done, a great overview of why the book is bad and why it is so hated to this day.

You obviously can't get the same levels of frustration and emotional energy with every piece of work you tackle. Lewis however seems to be incapable of reaching good levels on a more regular basis. I don't know if he let's too much shit bog him down, but he needs to figure out how to tap into that energy more often then he currently is doing so.

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
You make a good point, I agree he is a far better reviewer than an original fiction writer. He is at his best when he is copying the AVGN and Nostalgia Critic's style and takes the tropes he critics to the extreme for comedy.

That being said, I will give him points for making a good summary of the drama for those of us not much into comics, but still, I have to point out that he really was just repeating the popular consensus.

History of Power Rangers is probably his most honest reviewing job in the sense that he is freer to actually give his opinion without worrying about popular consensus.

Save for Nostalgia value people really don’t expect it to be that deep for him to anger anyone for pointing out it’s cheesyness
So what I'm hearing is that Linkara only goes for easy targets that he knows won't rock the boat or cause immense backlash from all over YouTube (which is what happened with Doug and The Wall). I see your points, but I have a feeling that after the deductions, things don't really balance out since you got things like taking his storyline more seriously than he probably should, using movies and audio dramas he creates to further his story and talk about how great of a director he is (especially compared to others), and getting people to make songs about his character that just don't really fit for a web show that's past its expiration date (seriously, he started doing video reviews the same year Iron Man came out. At some point, you'd think he'd catch a hint about what the average Joe thinks of comics at large). Honestly, Linkara's shortcomings come from his ego and/or thinking Atop The Fourth Wall is grander and greater than it actually is.

Pixy Misa

Your local evil magical girl.
kiwifarms.net
. I see your points, but I have a feeling that after the deductions, things don't really balance out since you got things like taking his storyline more seriously than he probably should, using movies and audio dramas he creates to further his story and talk about how great of a director he is (especially compared to others), and getting people to make songs about his character that just don't really fit for a web show that's past its expiration date (seriously, he started doing video reviews the same year Iron Man came out. At some point, you'd think he'd catch a hint about what the average Joe thinks of comics at large). Honestly, Linkara's shortcomings come from his ego and/or thinking Atop The Fourth Wall is grander and greater than it actually is.
It's a shame I ended up deleting that post before you replied to it because I thought I was just being redundant, but I think you nailed it perfectly. It's definitively more an issue of ego that affects his quality more than anything.

Last edited:

MisterBee

kiwifarms.net
So what I'm hearing is that Linkara only goes for easy targets that he knows won't rock the boat or cause immense backlash from all over YouTube (which is what happened with Doug and The Wall). I see your points, but I have a feeling that after the deductions, things don't really balance out since you got things like taking his storyline more seriously than he probably should, using movies and audio dramas he creates to further his story and talk about how great of a director he is (especially compared to others), and getting people to make songs about his character that just don't really fit for a web show that's past its expiration date (seriously, he started doing video reviews the same year Iron Man came out. At some point, you'd think he'd catch a hint about what the average Joe thinks of comics at large). Honestly, Linkara's shortcomings come from his ego and/or thinking Atop The Fourth Wall is grander and greater than it actually is.
The channels that thrived during the Marvel cinematic booms were ones that gave summaries of character storylines that were being adapted for the big screen, character info, and behind the scenes info. Basically, the 'normies' getting interested in the characters after seeing the movies and wanting to know more. By the point the MCU was in full swing, Lewis was set in his routine.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
Random thought:

Isn't it sad that Linkara never got into the comic industry despite all his shilling?

"Well duh! He sucks. Don't you know about Lightbringer? Nobody would hire him"

True. Well, it would've been true 8 years ago. But what I mean is that most current comic book writers, especially at marvel, have been hiring talentless hacks straight from Tumblr that are promoting a political agenda and writing awful comic books. And they just made this:

1584829048495.png

"Snowflake" and "Safespace" Marvel's new teenage superheroes. Even Linkara would know better.

So quality isn't an entry issue there, and if anything Linkara would be right at home. And Linkara, despite trying to get into Gail Simmone's good side, and being an outspoken "feminist" "SJW" on twitter, gets ignored.

My point is, he sold his soul for nothing.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, Linkara's shortcomings come from his ego and/or thinking Atop The Fourth Wall is grander and greater than it actually is.
And his refusal to accept that the market has shifted and just ranting about bad comics doesn't work any more. You'd think that his decreasing view count would give him a hint but his head is so far up his ass it's made him unable to see how to evolve.

I checked out his Megamind review and in the beginning, he mentions it was a patreon request and he doesn't know why people keep asking him to do reviews for good things. Maybe it's because that's what everyone else does now? Not just the bad shit? Nah, can't be, that's different to 2008 so it can't be right.

The Dude

Bro, don't even bro, bro.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As far as theme songs for current/former Channel Autism personalities, my favorites will always be Spoony's and Brad's, both the Theme From the Greatest American Hero and his current theme. I think his current theme is the best out of the fan made themes.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
As far as theme songs for current/former Channel Autism personalities, my favorites will always be Spoony's and Brad's, both the Theme From the Greatest American Hero and his current theme. I think his current theme is the best out of the fan made themes.
I think we're all forgetting that Lindsay had the best theme

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IIRC The Big Two know of him, and try their darnest to get away from him. So his lunacy is quite well known.
Yeah, him trying and failing to creep on Gail Simone probably did a LOT of damage for him being relevant. The other element is him being so allergic to experimentation and change that his videos and all forms of work never got better.

• Agree
Reactions: MidUSA

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Random thought:

Isn't it sad that Linkara never got into the comic industry despite all his shilling?

"Well duh! He sucks. Don't you know about Lightbringer? Nobody would hire him"

True. Well, it would've been true 8 years ago. But what I mean is that most current comic book writers, especially at marvel, have been hiring talentless hacks straight from Tumblr that are promoting a political agenda and writing awful comic books. And they just made this:

View attachment 1197489

"Snowflake" and "Safespace" Marvel's new teenage superheroes. Even Linkara would know better.

So quality isn't an entry issue there, and if anything Linkara would be right at home. And Linkara, despite trying to get into Gail Simmone's good side, and being an outspoken "feminist" "SJW" on twitter, gets ignored.

My point is, he sold his soul for nothing.
Womp womp.

Actually, I'm shocked I haven't heard of him being featured on some big Power Rangers special or something. To contrast, I remember James Rolfe being featured on a Friday the 13th documentary over a decade ago, and it was entirely because of his AVGN episode and Monster Madness.

You'd think with his History of Power Rangers vids, he'd have been asked to be a part of something related to the brand. For example, The Toys That Made Us documentary series on Netflix had an episode focusing on Power Rangers and devoted fans were a regular feature of the series, but Linkara, who you'd think would be a perfect fit for PR, was nowhere to be seen.

My guess is Linkara failed to treat his online career like a true business. Guys like AVGN, Black Nerd, and others made their content, but also networked, built relationships, and turned their content into a business where as Linkara just screamed from on high and, I guess, just assumed that people would always like to hear what he had to say about things like that would be enough.

Or maybe nobody wants anything to do with him because they know he wants to fuck the Green M&M. Who knows?

MisterBee

kiwifarms.net
Womp womp.

Actually, I'm shocked I haven't heard of him being featured on some big Power Rangers special or something. To contrast, I remember James Rolfe being featured on a Friday the 13th documentary over a decade ago, and it was entirely because of his AVGN episode and Monster Madness.

You'd think with his History of Power Rangers vids, he'd have been asked to be a part of something related to the brand. For example, The Toys That Made Us documentary series on Netflix had an episode focusing on Power Rangers and devoted fans were a regular feature of the series, but Linkara, who you'd think would be a perfect fit for PR, was nowhere to be seen.

My guess is Linkara failed to treat his online career like a true business. Guys like AVGN, Black Nerd, and others made their content, but also networked, built relationships, and turned their content into a business where as Linkara just screamed from on high and, I guess, just assumed that people would always like to hear what he had to say about things like that would be enough.

Or maybe nobody wants anything to do with him because they know he wants to fuck the Green M&M. Who knows?
Keep in mind that Lewis had open disdain for Super Sentai, Power Rangers' source material. Most Power Rangers fanboys aren't as militaristic about it as he was about it either. In fact, most had a sense of appreciation for the source material. With Lewis, it ranged from mild disdain to outright hostility and preaching Power Rangers as superior.

Now, I'm not into the Power Rangers fandom, or Super Sentai(other than watching a few seasons and enjoying Gokaiger and Gobusters), but Lewis would be viewed as a highly derisive personality. I can get why he might get a few con invites, but nothing beyond that.

GentlemanFaggot

I got in...
kiwifarms.net
Yep. Used to stalk her on a discussion board to give her his support whenever he thought it was necessary for him to do so. Essentially the embodiment of muhlaydee-ing.

She hated him for that.
I've seen this come up and I'm gonna request sources.

I did go on CBR for a few days during the lifetime of Gail's board and saw Linkara there. His behavior, however, did not really stick out as very different from the other posters (Creator-based boards/discords/etc 99% of the time became a brown-nosing affair) aside from the fact that he was a known entity on Channel Awesome.

Granted it was White Knighting, but nothing more than others I had seen on there. I don't even recall seeing Gail react to him except very neutrally.

A Random

All aboard the Loco Express!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I did go on CBR for a few days during the lifetime of Gail's board and saw Linkara there. His behavior, however, did not really stick out as very different from the other posters (Creator-based boards/discords/etc 99% of the time became a brown-nosing affair) aside from the fact that he was a known entity on Channel Awesome.

Granted it was White Knighting, but nothing more than others I had seen on there. I don't even recall seeing Gail react to him except very neutrally.
At least, the confirmation of people bringing this up came from the TUG stream with the two guys who worked with him on Crossoverlord.

MisterBee

kiwifarms.net

I believe the final straw was on Gail's own board outside CBR. Now, it's been over 10 years, so finding it might be touch.
At least, the confirmation of people bringing this up came from the TUG stream with the two guys who worked with him on Crossoverlord.

In the text chat of that stream, Ethan Van Sciver was in the live chat said Lewis was 'known' to the industry as a pervert.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I believe the final straw was on Gail's own board outside CBR. Now, it's been over 10 years, so finding it might be touch.

In the text chat of that stream, Ethan Van Sciver was in the live chat said Lewis was 'known' to the industry as a pervert.
and yet DC and Marvel may still hire him given that they’ve hired plenty of degenerates

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
Yep. Used to stalk her on a discussion board to give her his support whenever he thought it was necessary for him to do so. Essentially the embodiment of muhlaydee-ing.
Who would've guessed that a woman that was trying to advocate for women to be considered independent and for moe strong female characters in comics, would've hated to be white knighted and treated like a damsel in distress?