Linode Move

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to be moving the website to Linode by the end of the month.

This is our website's web cache. Every month since our inception I've have to increase the cap, little by little. The dip in cache you see is from a crash; the server automatically reboots itself if the cap is hit.

6M7xPkd.png

I'm now paying close to $30 a month for this VPS. For a decent sized community that's not bad at all. However, we've been experiencing huge slowdowns, most noticeably on September the 7th when we hit an astronomical new high of 131 people on at one time. I figured this may be an issue with MySQL running too slow on a shared host so I moved it over to a VPS of its own. Here's the graphs of my trial:

JwVv6SN.png

The MySQL server is now using as much memory as the PHP cache. A possibility would be to disable MySQL caching and allow the CPU to be more utilized, but this slows down the entire website as information is no longer readily available and needs to be refetched every request. The problem is that having a MySQL VPS literally doubles the monthly cost, meaning I'd then be paying over $50 a month. I can foot that charge but it's way more than I'd like. This is also assuming that I'm getting some sort of "super hot" discount on the MySQL VPS, which would otherwise be closer to $60/mo.

So, I looked at what Linode offered for the same price -- just out of curiosity.

PpgtrGV.png

For 1/3rd the price I'd get just under double the RAM as my available memory. There's a difference between total memory and RAM. If you look at the graphs, I believe the red area represents "Actual Memory" and the rest is cached to a temporary area on the hard drive. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I'd compare the CPU as well, but Dreamhost hasn't made that information available to me. I literally know nothing about the box the VPS sits on. The downside is that Linode doesn't offered "unlimited" storage, which is a bit of an advertising farce. Obviously it cannot literally be unlimited. Luckily we fall well under a gigabyte of storage for the entire forum, so there's no issue with that at all (1/48th usage). Also there's no "unlimited" bandwidth, but on the 7th we transferred just over 8 gigabytes of data which is by far our largest day ever. Multiply that by 31 and you get 241,000 GiB -- or 1/8th what linode offers on their most basic plan.

I'm by no means a hardware expert, mysql expert, or a hosting expert. The fun thing about this place is that I offer an Internet cubbyhole and get a live audience to perform my vivisections on. If this looks wrong or incorrect or I'm overestimating Linode in any way to a more trained eye, let me know, but otherwise I'll start getting things moving to have the website transferred by the end of the month.

KatsuKitty

Stone-Cold Bitch
kiwifarms.net
Linode is absolutely terrific, I haven't had any problems with them. The value is unparalleled for the money you pay compared to their competitors (so much that I wonder if they're losing money on their most basic plan). And you can buy additional 90MB increments of RAM for $5.00/month each if you need to, although I think 1GB of RAM should be plenty.

Anything you may need (storage, bandwidth, RAM) you can just add on for a comparatively nominal fee. 2GB increments of disk space are $2.00/month each, and 100GB increments of bandwidth runs you $10/month in increments. Honestly, I can't say anything bad about 'em, however I've yet to face extraordinary load.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Okay, so if anyone is curious, I didn't plan for that to happen. I didn't even do anything. I, at no point, did anything to Dreamhost in any way, shape, or form to make it throw a 403 error on every page. I was going to get everything set up and have maybe 15 minutes of downtime as the DNS server propagated over to Linode from Dreamhost.

But that's not what fucking happened. For whatever demented reason, the entire website broke. I don't even understand it and I don't care to. All I know is that now we're running on Linode and that's all that fucking matters. Hopefully this shit won't want to spontaneously fucking combust.

Edit: holy fucking shit this is really fast.

file.php

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
How come changing avatars are disabled right now?

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
spaps said:
How come changing avatars are disabled right now?
Fixed. Because I moved the files over directly it didn't preserve directory write-ability. Things like file attachments and avatar uploading broke as a result. keeping an eye out for other stuff.