List of books to educate Kids & adults from being crazy/emotional man-childrens.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
hating on shit like the ST but recommending Beowulf is more than a tad hypocritical.
Imagine if Beowulf was actually Book 7 in the "Grendel Wars" series, and you'd just spent 6 books following Hrothgar's family desperately fighting off monsters, and then some frickin' Geat nobody ever heard of rows up in his boat and just starts ripping the monsters apart with his bare hands.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
Imagine if Beowulf was actually Book 7 in the "Grendel Wars" series, and you'd just spent 6 books following Hrothgar's family desperately fighting off monsters, and then some frickin' Geat nobody ever heard of rows up in his boat and just starts ripping the monsters apart with his bare hands.
I mean, isn't that basically what he does? And everyone immediately loves him for it?

If we're doing a ST parallel Beowulf would have to do some stupid ass shit like try to run away from the first big battle he gets involved in, get kidnapped, ship himself to some fuckboy because he was impressed with his tiddies and have it literally blow up in his face, get the shit beaten out of him by a pedophile with magic powers, etc.

Say what you will about Rey but her stunt with trying to mail herself to Kylo's tiddies alone makes her seem as deeply flawed as a damn Evangelion character in comparison to Beowulf.

Beowulf is more comparible with Enoby Darkness Dementia Raven Way or Sonic Gokuverine.

Last edited:

Dunxe

kiwifarms.net
The best books a child or "manchild" can read to fix their tendency to be hyper-emotional would be anything that focuses on anthropology, psychology, self-help, religion/theology, and (non-Tankie) philosophy. Basically, whatever will help them have a more worldly view of life and the people around them.

Books can't really replace a lack of real world experience, though... or a therapy session.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but he's not wrecking a preexisting, beloved story - at least, as far as we'll ever know. I've got no problem with a popcorn flick, generally speaking.
Can't really wreck a story that kinda sucks from the beginning. I personally enjoyed the ST and Rey despite their flaws, and it definitely didn't wreck SW any more than the PT did. But that's another topic entirely.

It is wild tho that some random dude made up what was essentially his Sonichu in Britain some time after the collapse of the Roman empire, told it to other people and it distracted them enough from how much their lives sucked enough for them to tell it to other people until eventually someone wrote it down and people still sperg about it to this day.

Imagine if Sonichu ended up being the only surviving media from this place and time hundreds of years in the future. Imagine autists far in the future writing scholarly papers on Sonichu, and it being assigned reading in school. Imagine people thousands of years in the future viewing Sonichu as one of the most important literary works of all time.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
I think no matter what book you pick to read what I believe is a really important thing to start when your kids are young is just simply reading to them in an engaged way. Don't just read a story in monotone and then peace out once the chapters done, try to make the story come to life with exaggerated voices and actions while spending some time after the chapters done to ask them what they thought. Get a little discussion going about things like the characters actions, be they good or bad and maybe get them to think what they'd do in the same situation.

There's no point in slapping down a big stack of books for a kid to read, especially very young ones, since it's pretty unlikely they'll care to read it on their own. Having something to look forward to right before bed and the stories/lessons discussed during those times will make things stick.

I'd also put support behind watching older movies with your kids, making sure they age appropriate, with a focus on talking about the film during or after. Hell, make them watch old episodes of Mr. Rogers and whenever your kid starts acting like a brat or behaving badly just ask them if they're being the kind of person Mr. Rogers would want them to be.

Probably one of the most important things is to actually be a part of your kids life and put the effort into raising them right, lots of manchildren seem to have had bad home lives or absent parents.

CumDumpster

camedei707, King of ROX
kiwifarms.net
Can The Snowman or Ringing Bell fit here?
They're both known for causing emotional trauma, but the stories aren't the same as one's a British book/film follows a kid that befriends a snowman that eventually melts in the end while the other's a Japanese comic/film that follows a sheep named Chirin training with a wolf (from a bout of survivor's guilt after the very same wolf kills his mother) until he becomes a ram, disgusting the herd he once compatrioted on his return.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Chirin is fucking brutal, but it's pretty great. If a kid like Watership Down they'll probably like Chirin. For kids a little older I'd also reccomend Where the Wind Blows. It's another animated British film from the mid-80s about a sweet old couple trying to survive after the cold war goes hot. It doesn't end well.

I feel like if you want kids to read, never turn it into a chore. I think the fact that reading was treated as a chore and shoved down my throat so much as a kid is why I tended to avoid it.

Books also shouldn't be treated as the only valid form of media I think, comics, movies, etc, can also have merit and anything that gets kids engaged and their imaginations going (even if it's just making up goofy Mary Sues) is usually a good thing.

bot_for_hire

kiwifarms.net

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents - Teaches UNDERSTANDING

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings don't have any worthwhile moral lessons, by the way. More than anything, LOTR is detrimental to development.
People who suggested schlocky entertainment novels, like Frankenstein or Dracula clearly didn't even read the OP.

Last edited:

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings don't have any worthwhile moral lessons, by the way. More than anything, LOTR is detrimental to development.
Well yes they have... the Sacred blood of the men of the west will stop the evil from the east.

Its okay, but you should let your kids read farewell to arms while beating them with a belt before...

Regenbogen

Qui?
kiwifarms.net
1617719094481.png

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ah yes, detrimental to development.

Loyalty to friends and family.
Hubris leading to a fall.
Carrying on when all hope is lost.
Knowing when to help others.
Just because you have setbacks doesn't mean you've completely failed.
Nothing is over until you give up.
You cannot always rely on omnipotent figures.
Nature is to be cherished.
When you come home after a long time gone, home will be different.
Unintended consequences.
Power corrupts.
Stay on the path.
Follow instructions or deal with the consequences.
Don't be so quick to wish death or bring death upon people.

Yes, absolutely terrible. Not one worthwhile moral lesson.

tulskij_tochnyj

I identify as a rifle
kiwifarms.net
While I understand why people recommend Solzhenitsyn (better PR and /pol memes), he's not the best author to learn about GULAG. Varlam Shalamov's "Kolyma Tales" are shorter, better written (although translators might've improved Solzhenitsyn's atrocious writing style) and don't give you vibes of some "stories that totally happened" by Holocaust survivors (ones that mention rollercoasters leading straight to ovens, dedicated rape dogs etc.).
Also, there's an excellent short story "Щепка" by Vladimir Zazubrin, but I doubt it's been translated to English.

macguyver16

kiwifarms.net
Simple. Give them Captain Underpants.
The best book in the thread:

- the importance of having a sense of humor
- the ability to question authority
- allowing the kid to enjoy being a kid, which in turn allows them to not turn into a stunted adult who has Michael Jackson Syndrome
- Flip-O-Rama is the shit
- Sticking it to the man, because now your child is reading banned literature
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-captain-underpants-is-the-most-banned-book-in-america-2013-9

Stuff like Tolkien and Huxley is always good, but you gotta remember that this is suggestions for kids.