'Little Mermaid Live!' negative reviews prompt ABC boss to respond: 'I don’t care what anyone else thinks' - I don't want to be part of your world.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Didn't they have a Finding Nemo puppet thing at Animal Kingdom that had nice enough fish puppets or am I thinking of something else? But yeah seriously that's a cheap attempt at a puppet of the fish.

• Agree
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

LuthienTinuviel

I'm a feminist: I hate all genders equally
kiwifarms.net
I thought the show overall looked kind of cheaply made, but Flounder puppet put aside, I can't pinpoint exactly why. I thought Queen Latifah as Ursula and Auli'i Cravalho as Ariel were probably one of the strongest points of the show - Auli'i's cute as a button and she actually did a good job singing and acting-wise - but I want to shoot whoever gave her that red wig, because they really didn't chose a flattering color for her.

frozenrunner

In Thanksgiving casseroles everywhere. Add salt.
kiwifarms.net
Huh. I thought this was going to be another Disney live action movie.

And I bet everyone else did too. Why would anyone care about a "live" musical using race-blind (>implying they didn't intentionally BLACK the redhead) casting? Stage productions have always done that.

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Mariya Takeuchi
kiwifarms.net

And I bet everyone else did too. Why would anyone care about a "live" musical using race-blind (>implying they didn't intentionally BLACK the redhead) casting? Stage productions have always done that.
Shes Pacific islander lol
Promos had her with dark red hair.....but idk why she got stuck with that awful wig

LuthienTinuviel

kiwifarms.net
They did it in 1997 with the TV movie adaptation for Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. And it was done way before that - take Les Misérables. Eponine had been played by Lea Salonga (who is Filipina) while the actors playing the Thenardiers were white. Beauty and the Beast had Toni Braxton as Belle and they made it work. There was also an adaptation of War and Peace on Broadway a while ago - Natasha and Helene were played by black actresses, but somehow, they managed to suspend the disbelief.

But of course, there are some times where it isn't appropriate (i.e. Porgy and Bess, The Color Purple), or it just wouldn't make sense to the audience (like, can you imagine a black actor as Rolf in The Sound of Music? And considering all the jokes about Glinda being blonde in Wicked, casting a non-white actress wouldn't make sense either).

I'd say The Little Mermaid can lend itself well to color-blind casting (I mean, it's a fantasy world, why the hell not), but stuff like that wig they gave Auli'i (seriously, was it so hard to just put red highlights in her hair and make it look a little more natural?) just makes it seem like they wanted to put extra emphasis on the color-blind casting, and make it stick like a sore thumb, which is not what you should be going for.

Reactions: sparklemilhouse

Introvertigo89

kiwifarms.net
  • Informative
Reactions: UnKillFill

Trombonista

Yeah バビバビバビバビバビバビバビバビる!
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not only was it repackaged, it was cheaply done. Which was funny to me because it's Disney and they usually spend big. The Flounder character was just a fish stuffed animal with a hand jammed up it. Pathetic. The puppets in Mystery Science Theater 3000 were better looking than it.

That looks like it was made in the 90s.

• Agree
Reactions: sparklemilhouse

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net

That’s still happening with Rob Marshall directing it. I will admit that it seems pretty short sighted of Disney to stage this knowing that people are already aware that a big budget live action remake is forthcoming. I was expecting something more along the lines of how they staged the Broadway show. This just looks cheap and lazy. Solid casting, but pretty much a bungled attempt down the line from there.

• Informative
Reactions: frozenrunner

LuthienTinuviel

kiwifarms.net
Flounder being a puppet is fine, but the puppet itself is crap. It’s less detailed than the background characters in the original movie. That thing looks like it was thrown together in a couple of hours.
It's genuinely sad to see that shit when you got the Jim Henson Company or Sesame Street who've been making puppets that look great for actual decades.

• Agree
Reactions: Tragi-Chan
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino