Live P.D. cancelled by A&E

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

albert the programmer

Computer programmer at work
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
3C913ABC-8BAB-4A77-949D-211A2BDCCC84.jpeg

A&E has canceled one of the highest-rated shows on basic cable in the wake of protests over the police-related death of George Floyd.

The network pulled “Live P.D.,” a reality TV show that follows cops on patrol, earlier this week, but revealed late Wednesday that that hiatus is now permanent.

News of the cancellation follows reports from Monday that “Live P.D.” had filmed an incident between police and a 40-year-old black man that ultimately resulted in that man’s death.

Javier Ambler was stopped by police in Texas for failing to dim his headlights in March 2019 and was later held down and tasered four times while a crew from “Live P.D.” filmed. Ambler died in custody.

Footage of the encounter never aired and was destroyed.

“This is a critical time in our nation’s history and we have made the decision to cease production on ‘Live PD.,’” the network said in a statement. “Going forward, we will determine if there is a clear pathway to tell the stories of both the community and the police officers whose role it is to serve them. And with that, we will be meeting with community and civil rights leaders as well as police departments.”

The decision was made by A&E, which is jointly owned by the Hearst Corporation and Disney, and MGM’s Big Fish Entertainment, which produces the series, and just a month after the network renewed the show for an additional 160 episodes.

“Live P.D.” aired on Friday and Saturday nights during the 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. time slot and was the top ad-supported show on cable. During the coronavirus pandemic, the show gained more popularity and filled a gap left from the suspension of live sports.

ViacomCBS’ police reality show “Cops” has also been canceledin the wake of protests on police brutality.

Joey Caruso

The Coathanger In Your Man's Vagina
kiwifarms.net
Damn, looks like I'll have to eat my words from the Cops thread lmao. These two shows may be dead but the formula is still a guaranteed money-maker, I bet within a year or so we'll see another network with less phony moral posturing come out with their own "film the cops" show.

soft kitty

1 like = 1 pet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Damn, looks like I'll have to eat my words from the Cops thread lmao. These two shows may be dead but the formula is still a guaranteed money-maker, I bet within a year or so we'll see another network with less phony moral posturing come out with their own "film the cops" show.
I really hope that you're right. I didn't much care for Live PD but COPS was a great show.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
COPS was a great show.

When I was a kid, I had bonding moments with my dad every night that COPS and America's Most Wanted would air on Fox 5 (I think it was every sunday night, I forget) and would watch them with him. And then they started airing World's Wildest Police Videos and World's Worst Drivers and watched those as well, even when they had marathons of that shit. Last time I watched COPS was when SpikeTV would air them.

However, when I was with my last ex, I discovered "Under Arrest" on her NetFlix account, which is literally the Canadian version of COPS. That was entertaining for a bit. Because of that show I learned that there are so many Indians (Squantos, not Dot Heads) that act like the niggers/spics that live in the ghettos here in USA.

Just_Somebody

Inspiration for XCOM's Faceless
kiwifarms.net
So what's next on the banwagon? The First 48? Paw Patrol seems close too.

I would love to see any departments working with Live Rescue (the EMS/Firefighter version) and The First 48 to tell A&E to fuck off.

elrond hubbard

kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid, I had bonding moments with my dad every night that COPS and America's Most Wanted would air on Fox 5 (I think it was every sunday night, I forget) and would watch them with him. And then they started airing World's Wildest Police Videos and World's Worst Drivers and watched those as well, even when they had marathons of that shit. Last time I watched COPS was when SpikeTV would air them.

However, when I was with my last ex, I discovered "Under Arrest" on her NetFlix account, which is literally the Canadian version of COPS. That was entertaining for a bit. Because of that show I learned that there are so many Indians (Squantos, not Dot Heads) that act like the niggers/spics that live in the ghettos here in USA.
Alaska PD, which got put out earlier this year is about 60% natives being drunk and about 25% bears with actual crimes making up the rest

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
Alaska PD, which got put out earlier this year is about 60% natives being drunk and about 25% bears with actual crimes making up the rest

I think I saw that, or a show similar to that.

One of the cops were checking up on the villagers in the dead of winter that lived at the very edge of Alaska and they would get people from Russia that would hike from Russia across the frozen Pacific Ocean to Alaska.

Thats fucking insane!

Dom Cruise

Winter waifu, 1906 style
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Serious question, who even watches network television anymore?

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Now that I've thought about it, Cops was an snapshot of how reasonable police where back in the day. Nowadays, everyone gets a ticket on Live P.D.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

COPS and America’s Most Wanted were probably the only shows I would watch with my folks as a kid. Even if it was just something going on while I was doing something else, I was in the same room as them. Something about those shows was oddly relaxing. And I remember they spent a few episodes covering the Zodiac Killer which I found myself oddly invested in.

The world felt so much simpler back then...