Living Dead Series & Other Zombie Flicks - When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth....

Best "Living Dead" Movie?

• Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day of the Dead (2008 Remake)

• Diary of the Dead (2008)

• Survival of the Dead (2010)

• Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis (2005)

• Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (2005)

• Total voters

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
Such a shame that was the note he ended on rather than Land.
Agreed, and while Land is sort of mediocre compared to the original trilogy of Night, Dawn, and Day, you can tell Romero gave a shit and put in effort, especially since Land of the Dead is heavily derived from an earlier scripts he had for Day of the Dead that was shelved due to budget issues. Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead feel a lot more phoned in.

As for Diary and Survival, I get the feeling that they sucked really hard because Romero was just phoning it in. I can't remember where I first heard this exactly, but it's rumored that Romero did Diary and Survival solely because he had financial troubles related to the Great Recession going on at the time, which is why Diary and Survival were half-assed and largely direct-to-DVD fare as opposed to the wide theatrical release Land of the Dead got.

I remember back in the early 2000's, Romero had planned to make a grand finale to the series and there was a lot of speculation on what all would happen and what the movie's title would be, with the most commonly speculated titles being "Twilight of the Dead", "Dusk of the Dead", and "Empire of the Dead". One of the most common rumors would be the global zombie phenomenon finally coming to an end and humanity "winning" against the zombies, but finding themselves forced to rebuild and possibly being fucked over in the long term by the zombie apocalypse of the first three movies.

Honestly, I think the idea of humanity scoring a Pyrrhic Victory over the zombies would have been the best ending the Romero zombie saga could've had.

Apparently, these rumors go back to the mid-90's and a lot of old internet pages and archived stuff from the 90's and early 2000's confirm my recollection of the speculation on the Romero franchise prior to Land of the Dead's release.

I'm curious how much of the hypothetical "Twilight of the Dead" made its way into Land of the Dead. We do know a lot of the stuff from the early drafts for Day made their way in there due to both interviews with Romero and rough drafts for Day getting leaked online.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Agreed, and while Land is sort of mediocre compared to the original trilogy of Night, Dawn, and Day, you can tell Romero gave a shit and put in effort, especially since Land of the Dead is heavily derived from an earlier scripts he had for Day of the Dead that was shelved due to budget issues. Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead feel a lot more phoned in.

As for Diary and Survival, I get the feeling that they sucked really hard because Romero was just phoning it in. I can't remember where I first heard this exactly, but it's rumored that Romero did Diary and Survival solely because he had financial troubles related to the Great Recession going on at the time, which is why Diary and Survival were half-assed and largely direct-to-DVD fare as opposed to the wide theatrical release Land of the Dead got.

I remember back in the early 2000's, Romero had planned to make a grand finale to the series and there was a lot of speculation on what all would happen and what the movie's title would be, with the most commonly speculated titles being "Twilight of the Dead", "Dusk of the Dead", and "Empire of the Dead". One of the most common rumors would be the global zombie phenomenon finally coming to an end and humanity "winning" against the zombies, but finding themselves forced to rebuild and possibly being fucked over in the long term by the zombie apocalypse of the first three movies.

Honestly, I think the idea of humanity scoring a Pyrrhic Victory over the zombies would have been the best ending the Romero zombie saga could've had.

Apparently, these rumors go back to the mid-90's and a lot of old internet pages and archived stuff from the 90's and early 2000's confirm my recollection of the speculation on the Romero franchise prior to Land of the Dead's release.

I'm curious how much of the hypothetical "Twilight of the Dead" made its way into Land of the Dead. We do know a lot of the stuff from the early drafts for Day made their way in there due to both interviews with Romero and rough drafts for Day getting leaked online.
The original script for Day provided somewhat of a finale to the story, with (major spoilers and I recommend everyone track down this script online and read it first) someone dying and not coming back as a zombie, because remember in Romero's world it isn't just people who get bit by zombies turning into zombies, it's anyone who dies for any reason comes back as a zombie, so someone dying and simply staying dead implies that eventually there will be an end to the phenomena.

The script can be found here, just click film scripts and look under D.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Diary was half-assed but watchable and mostly enjoyable, Survival was just terrible. Worse than not being well thought out or well directed, it was just boring as hell. I fell asleep during it twice. I haven't tried watching it again.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First, we're going to include movies with "living dead" or "of the dead" but where's Fulci's City of the Living Dead? Then we break the rules by including Zombie aka Zombi 2? FFS man, where's DeadAlive or The Beyond? Although, I consider The Beyond to be a more straight apocalypse movie that has zombies in it rather then just being a zombie movie.

Land is definitely mediocre. I didn't know what to think when I saw it in the theater. Every time I've given it another chance I just end up hating it even more and my favorite of the Romero Dead trilogy is Day which is considered the red headed bastard child of the trilogy (although, it's being received much more positively these days). I just re-watched Day of the Dead the other day too.

Land is tragic because apparently Universal cut the budget at the last minute and Romero tried his best to re-write the script. He walked off the set on the last day as a form of protest and let 2nd Unit finish it. There's good ideas in Land but the whole thing was botched.

Diary of the Dead is fucking embarrassing. I've encountered people who religiously defend it as some kind of masterpiece. :lunacy:

Survival of the Dead managed to be even worse and even that one the sycophants couldn't defend.

And that's how the Romero Dead series ends. Yet another example of sometimes it's better to just leave things alone and walk away with dignity.

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Biozombie is fun. Basically Clerks vs Dawn of the Dead.
98 Hong Kong, Two guys work at the local bootleg vcd store and dick around at the mall it's in when they're not running crappy errands for local organized crime. Zombie happens. Light in some parts but a lot more "interpersonal drama under the stress of zombie" than Asian stuff usually gets

also yeah Blind Dead was tits
iirc there's some batshit dub that rewrites it so they're planet of the apes or something and robots

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
First, we're going to include movies with "living dead" or "of the dead" but where's Fulci's City of the Living Dead? Then we break the rules by including Zombie aka Zombi 2? FFS man, where's DeadAlive or The Beyond? Although, I consider The Beyond to be a more straight apocalypse movie that has zombies in it rather then just being a zombie movie.
Shit, I forgot about City of the Living Dead and Dead Alive. Looking back, it was a mistake to include three joke answers. I should've included Dead Alive as an option instead.

Really, I mainly included Zombi 2 and Hell of the Living Dead because the former was billed as a sequel to Dawn of the Dead (which was Zombi 1 in Europe) and Hell of the Living Dead for being a blatant mockbuster of Dawn (and because it's my favorite Bruno Mattei film)

I should've also included 28 Days Later since it draws a lot of inspiration from Day of the Dead and basically started the revival of zombie movies in the 2000's and early 2010's.

It's also the only good "fast zombie" movie from the zombie boom of the 2000's. And yes, I am well aware that Return of the Living Dead has fast zombies, but aside from 28 Days Later and the Return of the Living Dead series, I don't care too much about fast zombies.

I'm not a total sperg about hating fast zombies like some horror purists, but I don't care for zombies that run like an Olympic runner on PCP like they did in the remake of Day or the shitty World War Z movie with Brad Pitt.

In 28 Days Later, most of them ran at a reasonable human speed since they were still alive but were simply infected and Return of the Living Dead's fast zombies add to the cartoon-like goofy 80's charm of the series.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I forget which of the modern Romero ones it was, but one had a bit where a deaf amish guy goes BHWAAAAA and they have to realize he isn't a zombie. That was funny.
Train To Busan is really good. Never bothered to check out the animated prequel.

Hsien of the Dead
silly little no budget thing out of Singapore

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Schmeckel

Praise 'til you're hollow
kiwifarms.net
Man, this is my thread. I've got so many absolute shit zed flicks that I love the hell out of. Things like Dead & Breakfast, Severed, and Evil To Kako... When I was younger, I'd make trips into the city to hit up Suncoast and try and find some of the "gems" I'd read about on the old review site "Zombiekeeper.com."

I have so much fun watching these things all MST3K style.

I'll be watching this hoping to get some suggestions for new dreck to satiate the zombie beast with.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Dead-Alive deserves a place of recognition too for the lawnmower scene alone.
I always think I've never seen this film, then I remember it was called Braindead everywhere but the US for some reason.

Bad Taste, while not exactly a zombie film has a tonne of the same timings and plot points but not done nearly as well, and features weird alien ball bags harvesting humans for their alien fast food business instead of zombies...

And it was responsible for this cracking scene:

The script can be found here, just click film scripts and look under D.
edit: What the fuck did I just read? It's like someone's fever dream describing a film plot very badly, that they wrote while fucking off their tits...

Last edited:

Biffo

kiwifarms.net
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue) is great

Demons 1 and 2 are weird ones, they are very much like zombies movies just with the more magic element added

Reactions: BrunoMattei

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net

Land is definitely mediocre. I didn't know what to think when I saw it in the theater. Every time I've given it another chance I just end up hating it even more and my favorite of the Romero Dead trilogy is Day which is considered the red headed bastard child of the trilogy (although, it's being received much more positively these days). I just re-watched Day of the Dead the other day too.

Land is tragic because apparently Universal cut the budget at the last minute and Romero tried his best to re-write the script. He walked off the set on the last day as a form of protest and let 2nd Unit finish it. There's good ideas in Land but the whole thing was botched.

Diary of the Dead is fucking embarrassing. I've encountered people who religiously defend it as some kind of masterpiece. :lunacy:

Survival of the Dead managed to be even worse and even that one the sycophants couldn't defend.

And that's how the Romero Dead series ends. Yet another example of sometimes it's better to just leave things along and walk away with dignity.
Land is definitely flawed (the moments of CGI gore are just terrible looking) but I still remember it overall being a pretty decent movie.

But The Beyond is fucking great, I've been meaning to check out more of Fulci's films, I love the dream logic of The Beyond and just how damn scary it is.

Saxxon

Sperging on the internet is the future of society
kiwifarms.net
Something that always draws me back to Dawn of the dead is that is that the movie by itself is not only good but also a really fucking good sequel. Romero took everything that made Night so interesting and put in steroids for Dawn, the anxiety is level up to eleven and the movie does an impressive job into tricking you that everything is going fine with the army and a lot of armed guys taking care of the zombies (a thing that the first movie build off with the ending) but we quickly see how society is starting to crumble withing itself: many officers deserting their positions choosing to rather save their asses first, you have groups of people like the motorcycle gang seeing this as an opportunity for do whatever they want since there's no longer laws to stop them to the point that they see the zombies as nothing more than toys to play with and they you have things like the black community building in the beginning full with people that can't see past their emotions and still grasp to the idea that the dead are somehow "alive" (and the movie even addresses this later). A really good example about how people react to a crisis but without trying to resolve the crisis itself.

And then you have our protagonists; While in the first movie the characters are forced to isolate themselves from the threat, in Dawn is the characters that choose to isolate themselves from the rest of the world, in a mall center of all places. I think that everyone here knows the whole yada yada about this being a critic directed at consumerist and all of that but I think that the mall also serves the same purpose as the police station on RE2 compared to the mansion on RE1 I.E. Is the same thing but bigger and better; both offer protection against the zombies the difference being that the house in Night is way to weak to stand to many hordes of zombies and the little room to move and lack of distractions creates a sense of claustrophobia while the mall is really spacious and once covered from all entrances it becomes a perfect base to survive the apocalypse on top of having stores and recreation spaces.

This also affects how the survivors act from the rest of the movie, both groups start the same: they want to survive and stay safe inside but quickly change priorities conforming the situation advances, in Night is obviously in one point of the movie that the house won't resist that much so our protagonists have to think in a escape plan since they know that help is not coming, they are constantly proactive to the danger despite the fact that as a group they don't really work as a team. Dawn' survivors are different, since the mall does such a nice work protecting them from danger and with enought space to not be bothered by the sounds of the zombies slamming against the doors, they can take the moment to calm themselves and enjoy the fruits of their work. This also becomes their demise, because they eventually start forgetting the reason they are even there, they don't only isolate from the danger but also any kind of news about the world outside of their happy land where nothing happens, they pass from waiting rescue into wishing for this to never end since their are "loving" their new lives, this until one of them dies in consecuence of being bitten while trying to secure the place because he was being cocky about being able to beat the zombies. This completely shatters their vision about their utopia and are throw back to reality, at least for one of them, the other two still try to clutch into the false sense of security they feel and this is show in the final act where they have to fight the motorgang and the place is getting swarmed by zombies instead of just running away they want to defend the mall because it's their "home", then one of them dies again and it's time for our characters to take their stuff and get out.

The ending is also a great 180 form Night, where all of survivors die and we are let with "wait, that was it?" Dawn is the definition of ambiguous: two survivors "escape" in the helicopter but with a half tank, it depends of the viewer to say if is half empty or half full. Truly a masterpiece.
TL;DR Zombie movie gud

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
Something I've always wondered is what will happen when Richard Rubinstein dies?

The only reason why Dawn of the Dead isn't available on streaming and why it isn't on Blu-Ray or a currently printed DVD is entirely because of him asking way too much money for the film's distribution rights.

He also produced Day of the Dead, which was scarce for a while, but has since become available on streaming in recent years and it may even have a DVD and Blu-Ray, but Day of the Dead was a sleeper hit that slowly developed a cult appreciation while Dawn of the Dead basically codified the modern zombie genre started by its predecessor.

When Rubinstein dies, what will happen to Dawn of the Dead and will it finally get another proper release? Honestly, if I had a say in it, I'd even have an official legally licensed version of the Extended Mall Hours cut, my favorite cut of the movie.

• Agree
Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something I've always wondered is what will happen when Richard Rubinstein dies?

The only reason why Dawn of the Dead isn't available on streaming and why it isn't on Blu-Ray or a currently printed DVD is entirely because of him asking way too much money for the film's distribution rights.

He also produced Day of the Dead, which was scarce for a while, but has since become available on streaming in recent years and it may even have a DVD and Blu-Ray, but Day of the Dead was a sleeper hit that slowly developed a cult appreciation while Dawn of the Dead basically codified the modern zombie genre started by its predecessor.

When Rubinstein dies, what will happen to Dawn of the Dead and will it finally get another proper release? Honestly, if I had a say in it, I'd even have an official legally licensed version of the Extended Mall Hours cut, my favorite cut of the movie.
He's also the reason why we got 2 shit DTV Day of the Dead sequels, a shit DTV Creepshow 3, and I think the same reason why Martin is hard to get as well. Can't wait till this fuck finally dies.

Tags
None