Living Dead Series & Other Zombie Flicks - When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth....

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Best "Living Dead" Movie?

• Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day of the Dead (2008 Remake)

• Diary of the Dead (2008)

• Survival of the Dead (2010)

• Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis (2005)

• Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (2005)

• Total voters

The Vicar

Why yes, I will have some more tea.
kiwifarms.net
Here's another one to consider - "Dellamorte Dellamore" (marketed as "Cemetery Man" in the US), a 1994 Italian horror/comedy/zombie film.

It stars Rupert Everett as Francesco Dellamorte, the caretaker of a cemetery where the dead resurrect as zombies a few days after burial. It's not really explained why, though implied to be due to the plants growing in the cemetery grounds. Dellamorte keeps the zombie outbreak in check by shooting and reburying them.

The zombie plot falls by the wayside late in the film when Dellamorte loses his grip on reality and becomes a spree killer. The ending, with Dellamorte attempting to leave the town for the first time in his life, is just... bizarre.

Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's another one to consider - "Dellamorte Dellamore" (marketed as "Cemetery Man" in the US), a 1994 Italian horror/comedy/zombie film.

It stars Rupert Everett as Francesco Dellamorte, the caretaker of a cemetery where the dead resurrect as zombies a few days after burial. It's not really explained why, though implied to be due to the plants growing in the cemetery grounds. Dellamorte keeps the zombie outbreak in check by shooting and reburying them.

The zombie plot falls by the wayside late in the film when Dellamorte loses his grip on reality and becomes a spree killer. The ending, with Dellamorte attempting to leave the town for the first time in his life, is just... bizarre.

I consider this the final great Italian horror film. Sycophants might defend some later day Argento pictures but that's it.

I remember talking to Giovanni Lombardo Radice once. He's this guy from City of the Living Dead:

And he said that Soavi wanted to make another horror film. But that was a decade ago. I saw Soavi's Arriverderci Amore Ciao and that was a great picture.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rewatched the original Dawn of the Dead for the first time in a while today. Aside from thoroughly enjoying diving back into the classic zombie well I have been neglecting for a while, I think the movie has genuinely taken on a powerful new resonance for current happenings with the first act's depiction of society and the media going absolutely apeshit in the face of the growing apocalypse and the last act's depiction of people bunkered up in relative comfort getting dangerously bored of living in complete isolation while everything outside falls apart

Also I genuinely think the first few scenes should be watched by anyone who thinks slow zombies cant be used for effective horror.

The point isnt that they are individually sthuper-duper dangerous or even that mobs of them are sthuper-dangerous as I have seen some try to argue, the point is that when everyone who dies gets back up and starts killing those around them, its only going to be a matter of time before society rapidly falls apart from the sheer stress of everyone everywhere steadily going completely insane with fear and panic until the combination of mass public disorder and mass desertion from every military/law enforcement branch leads to the growing hordes of zombies winning by default.

With fast as fuck sprinter zombies like the Dawn of the Dead remake, humanity inevitably gets swarmed and overwhelmed within days and thus the factor of "humanity going mad and ripping itself apart in the face of inexplicable horror" never really becomes a major theme, and is instead replaced with just spooky zoomy-zombies

• Agree
Reactions: Saxxon

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
With fast as fuck sprinter zombies like the Dawn of the Dead remake, humanity inevitably gets swarmed and overwhelmed within days and thus the factor of "humanity going mad and ripping itself apart in the face of inexplicable horror" never really becomes a major theme, and is instead replaced with just spooky zoomy-zombies
You had a bit of that with Eccleston's goons in 28 Days Later. In that, though, there was no supernatural element, it was simply a virus, and the victims ultimately died within a fairly short period of time. You're still going to be left with a destroyed planet and demoralized humans, though.
I don't really consider Zack Snyder's DotD a successor to Romero in any real way, though. It's just a fun, dumb action film.

I thought Crossed was a really interesting riff on the zombie theme, but I'm not really sure if it's relevant to a movie thread.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something I've always wondered is what will happen when Richard Rubinstein dies?

The only reason why Dawn of the Dead isn't available on streaming and why it isn't on Blu-Ray or a currently printed DVD is entirely because of him asking way too much money for the film's distribution rights.

He also produced Day of the Dead, which was scarce for a while, but has since become available on streaming in recent years and it may even have a DVD and Blu-Ray, but Day of the Dead was a sleeper hit that slowly developed a cult appreciation while Dawn of the Dead basically codified the modern zombie genre started by its predecessor.

When Rubinstein dies, what will happen to Dawn of the Dead and will it finally get another proper release? Honestly, if I had a say in it, I'd even have an official legally licensed version of the Extended Mall Hours cut, my favorite cut of the movie.
Just download the fucking thing. If you still care about any legit release that's your problem

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You had a bit of that with Eccleston's goons in 28 Days Later. In that, though, there was no supernatural element, it was simply a virus, and the victims ultimately died within a fairly short period of time. You're still going to be left with a destroyed planet and demoralized humans, though.
To be honest, much as I absolutely love 28 Days Later as a movie and the general concept, the worldbuilding kinda falls apart when you think about how little time passed since initial infection and full national downfall given the relatively limited world-ending potential of the virus, and while I would buy the idea of Eccleston and friends turning into brigands/warlord wannabes at that point, becoming a full apocalypse cult obsessed with repopulating the planet despite passanger planes still casually flying over the country is just a tad silly.

I mean, the whole "a non-airborne and non-supernatural zombie virus destroys national/global society despite how slowly it would inevitably spread and how much time there would be for national/global governments and armed forces to implement basic shoot-to-kill policies" thing aint exactly limited to this movie, and honestly a more realistic "London and the south is fucked, the north is lawless, and government/refugees are walled up in wales and scotland" concept would not have been nearly as good a movie, but it still kinda breaks my suspension of disbelief.
I don't really consider Zack Snyder's DotD a successor to Romero in any real way, though. It's just a fun, dumb action film.
Same, I no longer actively dislike it as I once did, and I maintain that the first scenes are some of the best setup for a zombie movie ever, especially the intro news montage, but after that ends it becomes forgettable real fast
I thought Crossed was a really interesting riff on the zombie theme, but I'm not really sure if it's relevant to a movie thread.
Oh boy dont get me started on how much I hate that particular franchise.

Between Garth Ennis's initial "this is totally a badass and serious deconstruction and subversion of the zombie genre" pitch being revealed to be the most textbook and generic zombie shit imaginable just with more rape, and the decade of ever shitter writers and artists using the franchise to act like the most autistic edgelords on the planet, coupled with the absolute waste of turning the premise of "a virus that turns people into calculating and intelligent ultra sadistic psychotic killers" into a cheap walking dead knock off, I could do a full on textwall of everything I hate about the series which sadly has yet to keel over and die like it should have back in 2008

...though funnily enough I accidentally discovered the whole premise was almost certainly quietly ripped off from the 28 Days Later director commentary since it has Danny Boyle joking about making another movie with the infected running around with raging erections and raping/torturing people to death a full seven years before crossed came out

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
Just download the fucking thing. If you still care about any legit release that's your problem
I already have the Extended Mall Hours cut of Dawn downloaded a long time ago.

I was more concerned about a legitimate release for licensing and adaptations.

Like if someone wanted to do a proper game adaptation of Romero's trilogy, they could finally do so. Or if someone wanted to do a proper remake of Dawn and Day.

As far as I can tell, the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake did well at the box office, but it's very much a "Love It or Hate It" movie. Rubinstein mainly signed aboard because James Gunn and Zack Snyder were backed by Universal and all the money that entails, and were also able to get the 2004 Anchor Bay DVD release out of it as well, so he got a big paycheck and hold onto the rights a little longer.

The 2008 Day of the Dead remake was a trainwreck that nobody liked and was made mainly because Rubinstein wanted to keep holding onto the rights. Same for the sequel to the Day remake and Day of the Dead: Contagium.

Given that Day is now legally available outside of old DVD releases, I think either Rubinstein lost the rights or more likely, he has a lower asking price for licensing Day than he does for Dawn.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I already have the Extended Mall Hours cut of Dawn downloaded a long time ago.

I was more concerned about a legitimate release for licensing and adaptations.

Like if someone wanted to do a proper game adaptation of Romero's trilogy, they could finally do so. Or if someone wanted to do a proper remake of Dawn and Day.

The 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake did well at the box office, but it's very much a "Love It or Hate It" movie, and the 2008 Day of the Dead remake was a trainwreck that nobody liked and was made mainly because Rubinstein wanted to keep holding onto the rights. Same for the sequel to the Day remake and Day of the Dead: Contagium.
Or maybe people could make their own ideas for things

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
To be honest, much as I absolutely love 28 Days Later as a movie and the general concept, the worldbuilding kinda falls apart when you think about how little time passed since initial infection and full national downfall given the relatively limited world-ending potential of the virus, and while I would buy the idea of Eccleston and friends turning into brigands/warlord wannabes at that point, becoming a full apocalypse cult obsessed with repopulating the planet despite passanger planes still casually flying over the country is just a tad silly.

I mean, the whole "a non-airborne and non-supernatural zombie virus destroys national/global society despite how slowly it would inevitably spread and how much time there would be for national/global governments and armed forces to implement basic shoot-to-kill policies" thing aint exactly limited to this movie, and honestly a more realistic "London and the south is fucked, the north is lawless, and government/refugees are walled up in wales and scotland" concept would not have been nearly as good a movie, but it still kinda breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Same, I no longer actively dislike it as I once did, and I maintain that the first scenes are some of the best setup for a zombie movie ever, especially the intro news montage, but after that ends it becomes forgettable real fast

Oh boy dont get me started on how much I hate that particular franchise.

Between Garth Ennis's initial "this is totally a badass and serious deconstruction and subversion of the zombie genre" pitch being revealed to be the most textbook and generic zombie shit imaginable just with more rape, and the decade of ever shitter writers and artists using the franchise to act like the most autistic edgelords on the planet, coupled with the absolute waste of turning the premise of "a virus that turns people into calculating and intelligent ultra sadistic psychotic killers" into a cheap walking dead knock off, I could do a full on textwall of everything I hate about the series which sadly has yet to keel over and die like it should have back in 2008
It rapidly degenerated into edgelordery (or arguably started out that way and just got worse). I haven't been able to bring myself to even read Alan Moore's take on it, although I suppose it could be good. Also the premise isn't that they become calculating and intelligent. They just don't lose their intelligence. What they do completely lose is any impulse control. This is why they aren't as dangerous as they could be. Horsecock, for instance, was super high functioning as these guys went because he could manage not to murder people immediately.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
Or maybe people could make their own ideas for things
I get where you're coming from, trust me. But at the same time, never underestimate the power of branding. Now that The Walking Dead has pretty much played out and the big zombie fad of the late 2000's and early-mid 2010's is definitively over, it takes more to stand out or get backing on a zombie project.

At the end of the day, these companies are in it to make money whether we like it or not.

If you want to make your own zombie idea and have it be an original thing, then you're better off making it a low-budget independent affair, or digitally self-publish it if it's a novel or comic.

I don't like Hollywood and the AAA studios being overly reliant on pre-established IP's and the fear they have towards original ideas or new properties either, but it is an unfortunate reality.

Reactions: Judge Holden

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It rapidly degenerated into edgelordery (or arguably started out that way and just got worse). I haven't been able to bring myself to even read Alan Moore's take on it, although I suppose it could be good.
SPOILERS: It aint. Its genuinely almost unreadably dull and thats before you factor in the dumb fucking "future lingo" he has everyone use

Honestly the only part of the franchise that was halfway passable was the prequel miniseries featuring Gordon Brown and friends about the first outbreaks of proto-crossed, and this is largely due to how the actual crossed only start to appear halfway through...at which point everything descends back into contrived and lazy bullshit.

And frankly this just redoubled my general contempt of the franchise given how it demonstrated that it could have genuinely been halfway interesting from the getgo if ennis had actually decided to do the full subversion/deconstruction of the genre he promised instead of just generic zombies with extra edgelord.

This is what I mean about it being a waste of concept.

On paper the idea of a 28 Days Later style virus that turns people into the most hatefully sadistic and brutal yet calculating and intelligent psychopaths imaginable should be some disturbing ass shit and should have played out as being completely unrecognisable from the standard zombie film, with it being more along the lines of a far nastier Invasion of the Body Snatchers crossed with Hotel Rwanda.

In execution, all we got was....this
du].jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
The point isnt that they are individually sthuper-duper dangerous or even that mobs of them are sthuper-dangerous as I have seen some try to argue, the point is that when everyone who dies gets back up and starts killing those around them, its only going to be a matter of time before society rapidly falls apart from the sheer stress of everyone everywhere steadily going completely insane with fear and panic until the combination of mass public disorder and mass desertion from every military/law enforcement branch leads to the growing hordes of zombies winning by default.
See, and this is kinda the funny thing about a zombie apocalypse. IF we survived it and rebuilt, it would actually potentially be the one thing that ends war. Not a good idea to send thousands to die when each of them is gonna get up and potentially restart the apocalypse.

• Agree

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
See, and this is kinda the funny thing about a zombie apocalypse. IF we survived it and rebuilt, it would actually potentially be the one thing that ends war. Not a good idea to send thousands to die when each of them is gonna get up and potentially restart the apocalypse.
Thats the advantage about OG Romero zombie shit. The whole "what if the bodies of the dead started to get up and kill?" thing is one of those high concepts that can be taken in a thousand different directions and can be used to tell a vast range of stories in a way that generic "muh zombie virus" premises are simply unable to due to the fact that a zombie infection style story is at its core a "just wipe them out/wait till they are all dead and everything is back to normal" story, wheras a Romero zombie apocalypse is "This is the new normal. This shit will never end and can never be explained. Have fun with that" and thus isnt something that can simply be wiped out or outlasted.

Alas, the only major franchise to try and repeat this "all bodies everywhere will become zombies no matter how they originally died" pitch has been The Walking Dead which has been a universally derided joke for close to a decade now

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Alas, the only major franchise to try and repeat this "all bodies everywhere will become zombies no matter how they originally died" pitch has been The Walking Dead which has been a universally derided joke for close to a decade now
It's been the most viewed show in America from time to time during that run of mostly being awful. I managed to watch most of it until the last couple seasons despite wondering why the fuck I was bothering. It also set off peak zombie which unfortunately involved very little that wasn't atrociously bad, like the awful World War Z shit. The best of that was the six episode first season of TWD itself, 28 Days Later (which preceded it and was arguably not really a zombie movie) and, well, nothing really.

Maybe TWD basically ruined zombies.

Also Robert Kirkman is a complete and utter dick.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's been the most viewed show in America from time to time during that run of mostly being awful. I managed to watch most of it until the last couple seasons despite wondering why the fuck I was bothering. It also set off peak zombie which unfortunately involved very little that wasn't atrociously bad, like the awful World War Z shit. The best of that was the six episode first season of TWD itself, 28 Days Later (which preceded it and was arguably not really a zombie movie) and, well, nothing really.

Maybe TWD basically ruined zombies.

Also Robert Kirkman is a complete and utter dick.
Speakin of world war z, while I liked the book when it first came out in hindsight the whole story/concept is just hilariously shit, even if the plot point of "it started in china and the chinese covered it up until it had spread everywhere in the world" is extremely topical these days. Max Brooks got way too enamoured with turning slow zombies into unstoppable monsters who could magically beat mechanised armies in pitched battles and having world governments and militaries act like literal retards for no reason other than plot contrivance

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
if anything I'd say Walking Dead extended the turnofthecentury Zombie revival
I remember when the comic came out my nerd buddies and I were basically "lol STILL doing zombies? Good luck with that, pal."

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Max Brooks got way too enamoured with turning slow zombies into unstoppable monsters who could magically beat mechanised armies in pitched battles and having world governments and militaries act like literal retards for no reason other than plot contrivance
And then the movie turned it into yet another infinite numbers of fast zombies shit fest.

• Feels
Reactions: Judge Holden

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Been awhile since I read it but I remember liking World War Z a lot, it still needs a proper film adaption.

I think you're forgetting how fast acting the virus was, turning people into rage zombies almost instantaneously, so if you have someone infected almost instantly start biting and scratching others and they almost instantly start biting and scratching others, yeah I can see how that would get out of control in less than a month.

I love that opening to 28 Days Later so much, it's such a scary idea, imagine waking up from a coma only to find a major city like London completely abandoned and trashed and having no idea what went wrong.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think you're forgetting how fast acting the virus was, turning people into rage zombies almost instantaneously, so if you have someone infected almost instantly start biting and scratching others and they almost instantly start biting and scratching others, yeah I can see how that would get out of control in less than a month.
Oh it definitely could wipe out a city within a week or so of case zero, but once that city is burned out, you will have a period of relatively small numbers of infected aimlessly drifting outwards through open countryside until they hit new settlements, and by this point unless the government and military are literally being bribed to let their own country be wiped out, they will have started active "kill fucking everything that looks like a rage zombie" countermeasures and mass evacuating everyone in the general vicinity, while declaring martial law in the rest of the country, besides which the civilian population will be getting the hell out of dodge as well, thus making it that harder for drifting infected to spread the virus through big enough populations to cause full on national apocalypse.

This is why I have always said that the resident evil games are amusingly enough the most realistic depiction of a zombie infection. Once world governments realise "shit we have zombies" in the initial outbreak zone, they pull out all the stops in cordoning off the area and bombarding everything within with heavy firepower and making sure every branch of police and armed forces are informed exactly what they are dealing with and exactly how to spot/kill the infected

I love that opening to 28 Days Later so much, it's such a scary idea, imagine waking up from a coma only to find a major city like London completely abandoned and trashed and having no idea what went wrong.
Oh hell yeah. My autistic "the geopolitical and societal implications of this completely scientifically impossible virus/phenomena isnt realistic enough for my tastes" nitpicking aside, 28 Days Later is one of the few zombie movies I hold in near equal regard to the Romero movies, and is one of my all time favourite movies in general for the cinematography and soundtrack alone.

Reactions: Dom Cruise
Tags
None