Long Distance Walking - Day Hikes, Through Hikes

MerriedxReldnahc

Sir Richard Pump-A-Loaf
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally had the opportunity to try out the 10-11 or so mile distance from my house up into the hills. Brought a Camelbak type-thing and some trail mix with beef jerky. Most of the distance is residential streets and some businesses but go far enough and you'll reach a state park and heron rookery. Took some photos to show one of the ladies I volunteer with because she said that in 30 years she's lived here, she'd never seen it.
Here be bird poop!
20200927_113812.jpg
My dad told me that the paved road leading to the hill was only terrible and steep for a little bit. He was wrong, that shit was hard all the way up. There's a little side path I found that I'll try in the future, I wanted to stick with really distinct trails for now, I don't know most of these at all. There could be mountain trolls out there for all I know.
20200927_161112.jpg
Took lots of lovely photos but my area is very visually recognizable so I'll post this thing instead. It's neat.
20200927_161000.jpg
The hill is a super easy hike depending on what trail you take. My dad took me up this hill as a 5 year old so this isn't hardcore at all. I'm not sure this trail is even a full mile. I took a certain trail first and had to backtrack when I found I was dealing with more rocks and climbing than I remembered, once I was on the other trail the memories started to come back. One of the things I remember the most was seeing a tiger butterfly at the top once, so I loved that I saw one again today!

Elaine Benes

I'm queen of the castle!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not really hiking, but one of the high schools I regularly substitute teach at is three and a half miles from where I live.

I recently decided I would start walking there and back on a daily basis, leaving my place at 6am and getting to the school around 7:10. It is such a peaceful and relaxing way to start the day, and I feel much more alert when I get there then I would have taking public transit. The walk home is also satisfying and I feel like I had a full day of exercise when I finally get home.

Brahma

kiwifarms.net
Trying to get back into the swing of things after messing up my knee a little

Ive a medium term goal of getting my guide certificates and thru hike a particular 150k ish trail near me in a single week by end of summer next year so need to build up my stamina. I can do 20k in uplands pretty ok, just whacked by the end.

Thebag$$$

#MAFIALOREHYPE listen to my song mafia lore and ma
kiwifarms.net
me and my friend walked today 30km with no breaks or stops through urban areas (from our neighbourhood to the city centre and back, my city has ~2m population). it is monday evening so streets were mostly empty. over that time i drank a liter of water. i was thinking we get those numbers up over time and eventually go from here to another city.

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
me and my friend walked today 30km with no breaks or stops through urban areas (from our neighbourhood to the city centre and back, my city has ~2m population). it is monday evening so streets were mostly empty. over that time i drank a liter of water. i was thinking we get those numbers up over time and eventually go from here to another city.
That's impressive, tarmac/asphalt is tough on the feet and joints.

Thebag$$$

#MAFIALOREHYPE listen to my song mafia lore and ma
kiwifarms.net
Yep, turf has far less impact on joints: footwear can offset it though.
i also didnt know shoes make the difference. i wear the same 30$ new balance sneakers for the past year. these i think only the bottom of the shoe is also black.

20190627130320_new_balance_gw500smb.jpeg

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
getting my guide certificates
Do you have to demonstrate infinite patience for retards to get those? On the few occasions I've led a bunch of people, I've been disgusted at the lack of common sense, preparedness and appreciation for the effort I've invested planning a route and keeping focused on it. Then there is always the asshole who knows a better route and has a fucking app to prove it.

ethots Last Selfie

I am Jack's austic internal dialogue
kiwifarms.net
There are good trails here and my walk usually starts with a hill that takes ten minutes or so to get to the top and then I walk about 2-3km on a semi daily basis. It has been a pretty mild winter but weather is always preventative especially on a - 20C day.

MerriedxReldnahc

Sir Richard Pump-A-Loaf
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Explored a new trail that is on the same route that takes me to the bigger hill I've been running. This is a teeny tiny hill, smack in the middle of a residential area, and it almost was lost to development. I guess someone thought giant boulders make good home foundations? Our local open space alliance had to work to get the place saved and as of 2020 it's now safely designated as open space. I've always kind of wondered if it was something I could hike to so as soon as I heard the news I planned to check it out. Glad I did as there's a nasty hill leading up to it that was a good workout.
20210117_121526.jpg
It was unexpectedly really warm today so I ran out of my sports drink well before getting home, and I also had to deal with a lot of cars on the way back because all the people from the valley decided to come to the coast and cough on all our shit.
20210117_121720.jpg

Brahma

kiwifarms.net
Do you have to demonstrate infinite patience for retards to get those? On the few occasions I've led a bunch of people, I've been disgusted at the lack of common sense, preparedness and appreciation for the effort I've invested planning a route and keeping focused on it. Then there is always the asshole who knows a better route and has a fucking app to prove it.
Ha, there's an element of that but currently what I do is kind of guided walks to and around historical sights and there's usually a couple spots on the way that are on the itinerary that are of historical/geological signifigance. So... the people who end up coming tend to be a particular type and don't mind a diversion from what seems like the best path if ther'es something at the end to have a chat with.
Only thing is I can't advertise, can't get group insurance etc without certs. Want to see if I can't spin it into a bit of a extra money thing for summers. I've a mate who does some thing similar with cycle tours.

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ha, there's an element of that but currently what I do is kind of guided walks to and around historical sights and there's usually a couple spots on the way that are on the itinerary that are of historical/geological signifigance. So... the people who end up coming tend to be a particular type and don't mind a diversion from what seems like the best path if ther'es something at the end to have a chat with.
Only thing is I can't advertise, can't get group insurance etc without certs. Want to see if I can't spin it into a bit of a extra money thing for summers. I've a mate who does some thing similar with cycle tours.
Ah right, I've been on quite a few of city tours like that, some paid and some free: the best guides can make a tidy sum from tips alone.