• ”IF I CONFESS TO MENTAL ILLNESS WILL YOU PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD?”

Culture 'Long Time, No See' Is Racist Against Asians, Colorado State Warns Students"How, White Man" is still acceptable

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by LordofTendons, Nov 8, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. https://www.pluralist.com/posts/208...-against-asians-colorado-state-warns-students

'Long Time, No See' Is Racist Against Asians, Colorado State Warns Students

"It has gotten to the point where students should carry around a dictionary of words they cannot say."

Administrators at Colorado State University have apparently deemed the saying "Long time, no see" to be non-inclusive language.

Student Katrina Leibee reported in an op-ed for the campus newspaper that the common greeting appeared on a list of taboo phrases that she was shown by the student association's director of diversity and inclusion, Zahra Al-Saloom.

According to Leibee, the phrase was included on the list because it was seen as "derogatory toward those of Asian descent" and thus contrary to the university's commitment to fostering inclusion.

Leibee said that the university also instructs students to avoid gendering each other by using traditional pronouns, the word "freshman," or the phrase "you guys." "First year" and "y'all" are the preferred nomenclature, she explained.

While Leibee averred that she and most of her classmates "actively respect people’s gender pronouns," she complained that the university was getting carried away.

"A countless amount of words and phrases have been marked with a big, red X and defined as non-inclusive," she said. "It has gotten to the point where students should carry around a dictionary of words they cannot say."

Al-Saloom did not respond to a request for a comment.

The actual etymology of "Long time, no see" is unclear. But there are two leading theories.

One is that the phrase came from the broken English of Chinese or Native American speakers. However, the earliest usages are by American writers describing the supposed speech of foreigners, and those descriptions could be inaccurate.

The other main theory is that "Long time, no see," is a literal translation of a Mandarin phrase.

In a 2012 investigation of the phrase, the Applied Applied Linguistics blog concluded that it was probably originally "a way to mock people for not speaking standard American English." However, the blog suggested, the phrase likely has real Chinese roots of some kind, which would explain why it seems to have been embraced by Chinese learners of English "as a kind of symbolic victory for Chinglish."

In other words, Chinese English speakers may have been proud that "Long time, no see" was adopted into common usage.

Is it really a good idea, then, to make what is now a characteristically American phrase racist again?

Some would no doubt argue that "Long time, no see" is essentially a lesser version of blackface, an artifact of America's racist past that is best discarded along with its oppressive baggage.

But for others, it is the policing of language that is the problem. They could point to Jordan Peterson's concerns about free speech, Jonathan Haidt's warnings about the coddling of American youth, and Francis Fukuyama's manifesto against identity politics.

As Leibee put it in her op-ed: "We should all consider the possibility that these words were not a problem until we made them a problem. These phrases were not exclusive until we decided they were."

• Islamic Content  x 15
    • Informative  x 10
    •  x 5
    • Winner  x 3
    • Horrifying  x 2
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    LordofTendons

LordofTendons I am but a simple demigod
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. Yeah there are real problems we could be solving in the world but we better double pad the hallway so no "adults" get their feelings hurt. Don't think bad thoughts, that's punishable by a rat mask. Are they gonna outlaw the phrase "chink in the armor" too?

I'd guess this is one of those "colleges" that is only one in name, basically one of those coddling diploma-mills?

• Winner Winner x 17
    • Feels Feels x 5
    keyboredsm4shthe2nd

keyboredsm4shthe2nd CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!

kiwifarms.net
  3. We can't just take words from years ago that may of have an iffy past and then change them just because of a vague context. Many terms we use today come from things that weren't good to use as phrases in the past. But words can evolve with time. If you go into history to cleanse every single vaguely offensive phrase because you find some iffy context, you have too much time on your hands and need help.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Feels Feels x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  4. Zahra Al-Saloom has already locked down her twitter. Screenshot_2018-11-08 زهرة ( AdrenalineGuts) Twitter.png

• Feels  x 6
    • Winner  x 5
    • Like  x 4
    • Informative  x 4
    •  x 1
    • DRINK  x 1
    Stoned Alex Jones

Stoned Alex Jones This city deserves a better class of criminal

kiwifarms.net
  5. Me Chinese, me not woke
    Me write pidgin as a joke

• Winner  x 62
    • Semper Fidelis  x 9
    • Like  x 2
    • Agree  x 1
    •  x 1
    millais

millais The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas

kiwifarms.net
  6. Did they actually ask any Chinese students if the phrase offended them?

No wait. Why am I asking? Of course they didn't.

• Agree Agree x 19
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Dysnomia

Dysnomia Danzai!

kiwifarms.net
  7. NO MORE YANKY MY WANKY!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    CWCchange

CWCchange ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ

kiwifarms.net
  8. Literally, what?

Besides, Fukuyama's piece wasn't a manifesto, you stupid sandnigger. It was a bland commentary on IDpol from both sides. It wasn't anything like a manifesto.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    heathercho

heathercho Not YoRee Koh.

kiwifarms.net
  9. Do whatever you want suckers. I'll (hopefully) be long dead by the time this generation's all coked up on soy, warm feelings and a firm asylum seeking fist up the behind.

• Feels Feels x 4
    kiwifarms.net
  10. You know what else is racist?

Human existence.

• Winner Winner x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    NumberingYourState

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. i thought "long time no see" was the title of a movie or play or something

• 🤔 Thunkful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  12. Hypersensitivity at its finest.
    I literally just said that phrase today too.

• Agree Agree x 10
    kiwifarms.net
  13. Stop culturally appropriating rural southern people. You're not a cowboy.

• Winner  x 29
    • Agree  x 10
    • Like  x 4
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    •  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    • DRINK  x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  14. Fucking why. Why have this position. Eliminate it and 99.99% of these problems go away. It only exists to create and inflame tensions by "finding" problems and manufacturing controversy which they then use to get all their asshole buddies hired on who then "find" more issues. It's a scam. Stahhhhhp.

• Agree  x 19
    • Feels  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Winner  x 1
    •  x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  15. I use that phrase all the time. I had no idea it was racist. Honest Injun.

• Like Like x 10
    • Feels Feels x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    #15 J A N D E K, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    J A N D E K

J A N D E K I’ll be your mirror. Reflect what you are.

kiwifarms.net
  16. Always sounded like laid-back surfer or hippie talk to me. These people really stretch for this stuff.

This is like when they were calling the doge meme racist because they insisted it was mocking Asians with its broken English and saying it was meant to be read in a pidgin accent.

I'm pretty sure that if you see a Shiba dog saying wow and the first thing that pops in your head is "Asian dog, ching chang chong!" You're probably the racist.

I didn't think anything would top that, but here we are...

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Feels Feels x 1
    TheGreatCitracett

TheGreatCitracett I don't wanna be buried in CWC's pet sematary

kiwifarms.net
  17. Guarantee you that fucking nobody knew anywhere near enough about the history of this phrase to even begin to consider that it might be racist until somebody hit the books

• Agree Agree x 8
    kiwifarms.net
  18. It's a calque of Chinese 好久不见。
    Stop fucking getting triggered at languages. They spread shit all over all the time. At this rate they'll make everyone learn fucking Lojban because English is the bastard child of French deep-throating German.
    Oh wait, Lojban used statistical practices that only included the top most spoken languages in the world? That's racist.
    Guess everyone is going to have to learn how to speak Nǁŋǃke now to communicate. Oh, no its from Africa nevermind thats verbal blackface.
    Well we're stuck with communicating nonverbally now. Oops thats offensive to monkeys, check your evolutionary privelege shitlord.

God, where does this end. Humanity was a mistake.

• Winner  x 10
    • Informative  x 7
    • Feels  x 5
    • Agree  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    •  x 1
    • Optimistic  x 1
    wylfım

wylfım Lost in an endless void of stupid.

kiwifarms.net
  19. Rong time no see.

• Winner  x 14
    • Agree  x 3
    • Like  x 1
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    •  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  20. "It's a beautiful thing, the Destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word, which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take ‘good,’ for instance. If you have a word like ‘good,’ what need is there for a word like ‘bad’? ‘Ungood’ will do just as well – better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of ‘good,’ what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like ‘excellent’ and ‘splendid’ and all the rest of them? ‘Plusgood’ covers the meaning or ‘doubleplusgood’ if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already, but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words – in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston? It was B.B.'s idea originally, of course," he added as an afterthought.

NINTEEN EIGHTY-FOUR WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A FUCKING INSTRUCTION MANUAL YOU PIECES OF SHIT.

• Feels  x 27
    • Winner  x 12
    • Agree  x 3
    • Semper Fidelis  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Informative  x 1
    thx1138

thx1138 Are you now, or have you ever been?

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.