Disaster Loot Crate Files for Bankruptcy and Lays Off Workers But Promises to Ship Remaining Boxes -

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
"Bloody hell, are we still doing these?"
Ashens was the only unboxing channel that could make Loot Crates into interesting content, since he was always so perplexed by the shittiness of the content. Its got such perfect comedic timing that if I didn't know his personality from other videos I would have assumed he was making a satire of unboxing channels like how RLM does it with The Nerd Crew.

Needless to say my opinion of them is about as friendly. I really have trouble picturing the kind of person who would purchase these things. Back before I became a miserable drunk I would occasionally burn some cash on worthless shit I wanted to display or wanted a model of, but even then the idea of just getting stuff at random was ridiculous, let alone the fact that its often ugly, generic billboard shit.

Irrelevant

kiwifarms.net
"Bloody hell, are we still doing these?"

Ashens (Stuart Ashen) has pretty much replaced his near-monthly Loot Crate/other mystery box videos with videos of random items he ordered from Wish.com based on the top result for words he got via a word randomizer. The Wish.com videos are more interesting since they're not limited to the same dozen or so pop culture, nostalgia, and videogame franchises like Loot Crate.
One of the first loot boxes Ashens reviewed contained something he had previously bought from Poundland. It shows how they're just overstock crap.

I haven't watched him for years so I don't know if it's happened again.

Last edited:

Digital Thunder

Hard Drive Haunter
kiwifarms.net
Needless to say my opinion of them is about as friendly. I really have trouble picturing the kind of person who would purchase these things. Back before I became a miserable drunk I would occasionally burn some cash on worthless shit I wanted to display or wanted a model of, but even then the idea of just getting stuff at random was ridiculous, let alone the fact that its often ugly, generic billboard shit.
I'd be a dick and say it's the same kinds of people who'd sincerely line their walls with Funko Pops, but even Funko Pop hoarders bother to get what they want without doing so in the laziest way possible.

Hell if anyone knows, really.

kidatari

Super Pimp
kiwifarms.net
I been a geek since the 80s, collecting star wars transformers, gi joes, toys, figures, props, etc..
So, I spent a great deal of time watching films, books, games, etc.. and also searching for certain figures, props, etc.. that I enjoy.

And when these Loot Crate boxes fad started to pop up a few years ago. My opinion was, most of these items are cheap crap, catered towards the main stream people who are posers, Thots, fake youtubers, SJW, etc..
And I knew sooner or later this fad would die off and it has, very hard
just hope Funko Pops are next

My bet is it was part of Think Geek, I got a years worth of boxes for free one time from them.
what's interesting, a month or so ago ThinkGeek.com had 75% store wide sale cause they were moving.
But when the sale was over, TG.com closed down and TG started to sell thier merch through Gamestop.com
I think TG was losing sales and was not worth it.

Arkangel

Computer Science and Computer Violence
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Good riddance, I can't think of a more pointless and overly consumerist service. They are like Juicero for fake nerds. I'm shocked they have $20 million to ship out to customers. Who???
Most are probably people on social media who do crappy unboxing videos for views and the rest are actual diehards who haven't fallen out of love for paying money for a box of plastic and tshirt(worn unironically).

Reactions: niconiconecro

Foxxo

OH LAWD HE COMING
kiwifarms.net
Hmmm... Shall we look at this from the "stale fad not seeing that it's a fad and collapsing due to licensing costs" angle, or the "hipster startup not figuring out how to handle money after being ballooned by idiotic investors" angle?

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg

What's really interesting is that Loot Crate had $20 million "worth" of excess crates two years ago, and ended with the exact opposite problem. That just goes to show how quickly these things can swing.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
How do you manage to fuck up charging weebs and nerds $25 every month for ~$3 worth of leftover shit that manufacturers don't want to pay to dump in a landfill or can't flog off on a dollar store?
you hire to many overpaid people. 260 full time workers for packing cheap shit into crates.
did they have 200.000 subscribers or why did they need so many people?

queue-anon

kiwifarms.net
I went to a "how to market your small business" panel at a comicon several years ago, and two of the speakers were the founders of Lootcrate. I liked the idea of essentially getting a present sent to me every month, but I also hate being saddled with a bunch of random, useless shit. I have a hard enough time managing all the shit I currently own and genuinely want.

I could only see myself signing up for a food subscription service since there are very few food items I hate so much I won't eat them.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope more subscription boxes die. I had a three month subscription as a gift that was from SaloonBox, and it was a nice gift, alcohol is always a good gift, but I found out from the last box that I despise gin. So 1/3 of the gift was useless. I'm glad the price of it kept me from signing up as it seems like every other month there's some form of gin drink in it now.

I can only imagine the problem is exacerbated with a generic "geek" box. You may be into Disney Star Wars/Marvel/Steven Universe but get a box full of World of Warcraft/Final Fantasy/Fortnite stuff that you aren't interested in. How many times are people willing to gamble on getting something they want vs. buying it directly?
There was an excellent Sam Hyde video where he called loot crates "The Garbage Delivery Service".

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I could only see myself signing up for a food subscription service since there are very few food items I hate so much I won't eat them.
I had considered trying Graze when it came out, because some of the stuff sounded really good, then read reviews and heard that the tasty sounding stuff was both rare af and the smallest portions, and everything else was either nasty or overpriced when you could get equivalents from a grocery store.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino