Disaster Loot Crate Files for Bankruptcy and Lays Off Workers But Promises to Ship Remaining Boxes -

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
that doesnt make sense if they had 250 people on their payroll-

They are just bad at doing the most basic shit like shoveling shit in small boxes.
Hire a bunch of people, make them look official, assign them bullshit busywork, the IRS thinks you're just another office with bloated bureaucracy and lots of people slacking off on their shift every day. Profit.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I went to a "how to market your small business" panel at a comicon several years ago, and two of the speakers were the founders of Lootcrate. I liked the idea of essentially getting a present sent to me every month, but I also hate being saddled with a bunch of random, useless shit. I have a hard enough time managing all the shit I currently own and genuinely want.

I could only see myself signing up for a food subscription service since there are very few food items I hate so much I won't eat them.
That's really interesting, I'm curious what they had to say

I liked getting mystery gifts at one point but don't feel the clutter is worth it now. I used to get Birchbox, and it was fun to try new products for awhile but the quality went down and there were too many repeats or unliked products. I don't think they are doing well as a company, either.
So now my present is every two weeks I pick up a CSA organic produce box from local farms that has different things in it, and I don't want any other presents because it's just clutter I get bored of really quickly.

queue-anon

kiwifarms.net
I had considered trying Graze when it came out, because some of the stuff sounded really good, then read reviews and heard that the tasty sounding stuff was both rare af and the smallest portions, and everything else was either nasty or overpriced when you could get equivalents from a grocery store.
Yeah, I kind of figured it would work that way, which is too bad because a truly good-quality food delivery service would be nice. I could try things I can't get in my area or that I normally wouldn't think to try. I guess I'll find something like that around the time I find a truly great weight-lifting gym, i.e. never.

That's really interesting, I'm curious what they had to say

I liked getting mystery gifts at one point but don't feel the clutter is worth it now. I used to get Birchbox, and it was fun to try new products for awhile but the quality went down and there were too many repeats or unliked products. I don't think they are doing well as a company, either.
So now my present is every two weeks I pick up a CSA organic produce box from local farms that has different things in it, and I don't want any other presents because it's just clutter I get bored of really quickly.
It was mostly about how to get influencers and just regular people on social media to promote your products, which is ironic since it seems like that became the only point of Lootcrate -- people either sincerely or ironically unpacking their "loot" on Youtube.

Kari Kamiya

Gun Version Legendary Mascot
kiwifarms.net
I've gone through my brothers' anime Loot Crates and like someone earlier said, only one item per month was ever worthwhile, but another thing I've noticed was just how uninteresting the themes were. They rarely ever put in anything of a series that isn't popular (or was at the time), and some of the trinkets just looked like you weren't even getting your money's worth. I never considered trying it out for that reason, also none of the first volumes of manga/light novels they got appealed to me, so I shied away from it and I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

The one bro's been grumbling he hasn't gotten his May or June (can't remember) box, and now I know why he hasn't gotten it. I'm just laughing on the inside because if he hasn't gotten his box after all this time, then I'm certain his isn't part of the "remaining boxes". :story: Sucker.

EDIT: Actually, it was his April, May and June boxes, holy shit. :story::story::story:

Last edited:

bruhidfk12345

kiwifarms.net
It would be nice if this was the beginning of the end for all of the super consumerist “nerd” shit that constantly gets pimped out. Funkos, mystery boxes with shitty plastic figures, everything MacFarlane makes etc.

As a side note, I’ve always found it interesting how the people who obsessively horde shit like the lootbox stuff turn their noses up at actual quality nerd shit like Nendoroids. Because having 200 bucks worth of accumulated cheap plastic is better than having one solidly-crafted 50 dollar item, I guess.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
I motion for "Influencer" to replace "Hipster" as general term for insufferable fuckbags everyone hates.
I want to agree, but Hipsters became the overwhelming majority of people. If the same thing happened with Influencers, I would honestly be incapable of leaving my fucking house. I should just stop fighting the inevitable because its already everywhere but I still want to cling to that desperate hope that its just a fad and not the future.

It was mostly about how to get influencers and just regular people on social media to promote your products, which is ironic since it seems like that became the only point of Lootcrate -- people either sincerely or ironically unpacking their "loot" on Youtube.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to agree, but Hipsters became the overwhelming majority of people. If the same thing happened with Influencers, I would honestly be incapable of leaving my fucking house.
You haven't stopped already? SMH.
Many companies would love for everyone to consider themselves an influencer. There is no consumer more mindless than an influencer. It's a constant stream of more and more, things you don't even use, new items every day to show off and keep up with the other influencers. The only problem is that people expect the products for free. But it's becoming so common that there are more items created specifically for Instagram, like bathing suits that can't be worn in water, all of Fashion Nova, etc. they still rope in many paying customers who think they are "investing" in their influencer "career"

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
You haven't stopped already? SMH.
Many companies would love for everyone to consider themselves an influencer. There is no consumer more mindless than an influencer. It's a constant stream of more and more, things you don't even use, new items every day to show off and keep up with the other influencers. The only problem is that people expect the products for free. But it's becoming so common that there are more items created specifically for Instagram, like bathing suits that can't be worn in water, all of Fashion Nova, etc. they still rope in many paying customers who think they are "investing" in their influencer "career"
Its supposedly very easy to invent an online persona and then just spam companies with info that you're either an Influencer or a journalist. Originally getting journos to shill products was how they did this, but now everyone has a phone to film on. I just really don't want to live in a society where, not only am I being observed at all times, I'm also being observed by the most vapid, braindead people on the planet. Its ironic since if I just gave up my principles and whored myself on camera I'd probably make more money than I'd ever need but just the very idea of being under the eye of internet lookey-loos for the rest of my life fills me with bottomless dread.

Its not long before everyone else who isn't me, IE, people who don't have massive crippling paranoia, realizes that same dynamic. You watch, soon the selfies and snapchats are going to go hand in hand with irritating marketing lingo and everyone from grade schoolers to geriatrics are going to turn into walking billboards.

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
Another hipster company bites the dust, they always hire every single person they know to dawdle at a desk all day, until the whole thing crashes. All they had to do was pay other existing companies to send them some shit, then re-ship it. The most they had to do was design a T-shirt, a pin, and a Happy Meal-esque box every month. And they fucked that up.

Good. Chapter 7 when?

This is more or less exactly what I don't get about the whole nerdy crate concept and why it held up for so long. Half the fun of getting collectibles is hunting them down and risking spending exorbitant amounts of money trying to get them in your hands, and through those means you're going for items you're actually after -- so why would anyone opt instead for a service that delivers a cheap pile of shit to you that guarantees neither quality nor items of interest? For kids? For cheapskates? Not even the "exclusives" seem worthwhile, so... Who?
I have to guess that it's teenagers whose parents give them too much money. That seems like the audience who would buy shit they don't want, from 100 franchises they don't really like, just to fit in on the hype train. And if they live at home, they've never had to price the per-foot cost to house a bunch of garbage, or pack up a hundred dusty and dirty boxes of junk and then schlep it to a new residence. I guarantee 99% of the people who buy these things won't take care of them, they will end up as dirty clutter.
capmarvel1.png
Quality collectibles.

Sīn the Moon Daddy

T-808
kiwifarms.net
Its supposedly very easy to invent an online persona and then just spam companies with info that you're either an Influencer or a journalist. Originally getting journos to shill products was how they did this, but now everyone has a phone to film on. I just really don't want to live in a society where, not only am I being observed at all times, I'm also being observed by the most vapid, braindead people on the planet. Its ironic since if I just gave up my principles and whored myself on camera I'd probably make more money than I'd ever need but just the very idea of being under the eye of internet lookey-loos for the rest of my life fills me with bottomless dread.

Its not long before everyone else who isn't me, IE, people who don't have massive crippling paranoia, realizes that same dynamic. You watch, soon the selfies and snapchats are going to go hand in hand with irritating marketing lingo and everyone from grade schoolers to geriatrics are going to turn into walking billboards.
You just start talking to people. The people who talk back, you start with them. It's not actually difficult to do, although it's too difficult for the average normie.

ForgedBlades

Milled wedges.
kiwifarms.net
I was subscribed to Loot Anime because I'm a faggot. They haven't shipped a single crate for four months, and the two I got previously were filled with two cheap coffee mugs. I'm not even shitting you. Of course I was charged for the months they didn't ship anything.

I had honestly completely forgotten that I was subscribed until I got the email saying that they were declaring bankruptcy. Fuck autopay, I need to stop fucking with that shit.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was subscribed to Loot Anime because I'm a faggot. They haven't shipped a single crate for four months, and the two I got previously were filled with two cheap coffee mugs. I'm not even shitting you. Of course I was charged for the months they didn't ship anything.

I had honestly completely forgotten that I was subscribed until I got the email saying that they were declaring bankruptcy. Fuck autopay, I need to stop fucking with that shit.
I guess we found the loot crate audience, people who apparently don't notice getting charged every month for a service they don't like and also aren't recieving anymore.
Honestly, would you have noticed and cancelled if they kept shipping junk? Maybe not shipping was accidentally a good strategy for them.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino