Disaster Loot Crate Files for Bankruptcy and Lays Off Workers But Promises to Ship Remaining Boxes -

invictus

I am the captain of my soul.
kiwifarms.net
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I always figured that the people who still subbed to this service were either people who forgot they had it on auto renew (like the chap up above me) or nerds who liked the rush of a gamble. If you think about it, it's like a lottery.

You pay the cost of a ticket/lootbox, wait for the numbers to be pulled/wait for the post to arrive, then check to see if you won anything/check to see if you got anything cool.

More often than not, you're gonna get a dud (no winner) or maybe one item that's cool to the equivalent of winning a dollar, and rarely—very rarely—you'd hit a "jackpot" with a box full of good things you like. Lootcrate stacked the odds against the players once they realized how easy it was to lure in the gamblers, so to speak. It's why it worked for so long despite being shit. People probably had sunk-cost fallacy on the mind. Constant reassurance that the next one would be good.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
It would be nice if this was the beginning of the end for all of the super consumerist “nerd” shit that constantly gets pimped out. Funkos, mystery boxes with shitty plastic figures, everything MacFarlane makes etc.
I'm presuming you mean Todd McFarlane and not Seth Macfarlane. I liked (Todd) McFarlane Toys around two decades ago when they dabbled in anime licensing and I was able to get nicely-sculpted Tenchi Muyo figurines at Toys R' Us stores for only around $10 to $15 Canadian. Though that was before the big-headed characters fad that made it so that Funko Pops are the only kind of anime figures I ever see in stores anymore (not that I buy them, I'm only interested in figures that are "on model").

There was an excellent Sam Hyde video where he called loot crates "The Garbage Delivery Service".
Is that video online anywhere? The only relevant link I saw on Google (besides the one back to this thread) was a page on Daily Stormer and I'm not clicking on that.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm presuming you mean Todd McFarlane and not Seth Macfarlane. I liked (Todd) McFarlane Toys around two decades ago when they dabbled in anime licensing and I was able to get nicely-sculpted Tenchi Muyo figurines at Toys R' Us stores for only around $10 to $15 Canadian. Though that was before the big-headed characters fad that made it so that Funko Pops are the only kind of anime figures I ever see in stores anymore (not that I buy them, I'm only interested in figures that are "on model").

Is that video online anywhere? The only relevant link I saw on Google (besides the one back to this thread) was a page on Daily Stormer and I'm not clicking on that.
It used to be on YT, but it was a reupload of one of his Hyde Wars videos which are behind a paywall, so I’m guessing Sam had it taken down.

Echo_Ender

Doggo
kiwifarms.net
My bet is it was part of Think Geek, I got a years worth of boxes for free one time from them.
Think Geek got bought by Gamestop, hence why Gamestop is in huge financial trouble.

The "Nerd Culture" and "Geek Merch" thing was a huge fad that simply ran its course. Even the Bazinga Lords themselves, Big Bang Theory, realized this and ended their show.

Jesus

Resident drunk
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They were ok in the early days, and I’ve still got some of the stuff because it’s cool.

But after a few themes of stuff that I had no interest in and and was positively boring, I cancelled.

Moral of the story, anyone that bets on fickle consumerism without a consistent product line to sell is gonna fail.

Meowthkip

LOL U HAVE SMOL PEN0R
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not surprised this happened. It's probably been well over a year since I last saw a YouTuber shilling for them, and the last time I did, they were featuring a broader assortment of boxes for nerd sub-categories. It gave the impression that they were starting to spread themselves thin.

Also my sister's ex used to get these and she gave me a Funko Pop of Doc Brown that they got in one of them, which was nice of her, even though I'm not particularly fond of Funko Pops. I don't know if she got anything from them that she thought was worth keeping, since her and her ex would split the contents.

Those blind boxes you can get at conventions are probably a better deal.

capmarvel1.png
Quality collectibles.
Jesus Christ, that's fucking awful.

Nekromantik2

kiwifarms.net
I actually got a mystery box deal from Full Moon Entertainment (the guys that make the puppet master movies). It was a flat fee and I got sent a box every 2 months. The bulk of it was Blu Rays and DVDs, one guaranteed Blu Ray in each box, along with assorted mech and what not. I can only think of maybe 3 times that I got duplicate movies because they had the boxes set up as seasons. Season 1 the first year season 2 the second, and they kept track of what was in them for the most part.

Maybe because it wasn't mainstream geek stuff it was better quality.

Dr. Dingo DVM

kid tested, mother approved
kiwifarms.net
Loot Crate had a pet version I think. I remember seeing it at a con and thinking it was sparse for what it was and for what other pet boxes were offering.

Subscription boxes are a saturated market at this point anyway. The only ones I gave a fuck about are Japan Crate because I'm a weeb and miss Japanese junk food from my time abroad and Bark Box for my dog.

CheezzyMach

Superior Tentacle Rapist
kiwifarms.net
Think Geek got bought by Gamestop, hence why Gamestop is in huge financial trouble.

The "Nerd Culture" and "Geek Merch" thing was a huge fad that simply ran its course. Even the Bazinga Lords themselves, Big Bang Theory, realized this and ended their show.
Time to reclaim our hobbies?

If "Nerd Culture" really is dying good riddance. Hipster faggots have ruined comics,tabletop and the western game and animation industry.

A.Shitposter

Citizen of Neo-Kiwifarms
kiwifarms.net
Gotta figur ethe next domino to fall will be Funko. The bloom has to be wearing off the Funko pop rose. Gamestop is getting wobbly, TRU died, you are seeing ever more pops showing up at end of the line stores like 5 below and 2nd and Charles. Comic stores are dying. They will be the next Beanie Babies to crash.
Funko isn't going away any time soon.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
You just start talking to people. The people who talk back, you start with them. It's not actually difficult to do, although it's too difficult for the average normie.
I've heard its actually even easier, all you need to do is write a formal letter to companies that makes it sound like you actively post on social media and have a willful personality. Companies being composed of confused office drones will then start sending you free shit if they buy your pitch. If it doesn't work, all you need to do is tweak it and shop it around until someone bites.

Beowulf

kiwifarms.net
I actually got a mystery box deal from Full Moon Entertainment (the guys that make the puppet master movies). It was a flat fee and I got sent a box every 2 months. The bulk of it was Blu Rays and DVDs, one guaranteed Blu Ray in each box, along with assorted mech and what not. I can only think of maybe 3 times that I got duplicate movies because they had the boxes set up as seasons. Season 1 the first year season 2 the second, and they kept track of what was in them for the most part.

Maybe because it wasn't mainstream geek stuff it was better quality.
Are they still doing that, and is it worth it?

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The idea of it was novelty, but as time went on, and as a person who's looked into Lootcrate/Lootbox controversy, the worth of each crate would significantly diminish, and some crates didn't even get some of the merch promised. Also, the "lootcrate exclusives" were a big hit as people soon found out that most of them would be sold off, or just were NOT at all an exclusive. It was a very shady deal.
I still don't get how you lose money doing that. You're charging tards $25 for taking a shit in a box. Shouldn't the worst that happens be you get fewer tards? You're still just charging $25 for random garbage.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
I still don't get how you lose money doing that. You're charging tards $25 for taking a shit in a box. Shouldn't the worst that happens be you get fewer tards? You're still just charging $25 for random garbage.
It goes to show how little they understood the idea in the first place. People bitch and moan about materialism, but as a materialist I can pick up any object in my home and explain to you exactly why I own it, what its purpose is and, if it has no purpose, why I personally like it. I've increasingly found that rich assholes can't. They buy expensive shit and dress nicely, but the majority of the time they understand jack shit about it and just follow trends.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino