Disaster Loot Crate Files for Bankruptcy and Lays Off Workers But Promises to Ship Remaining Boxes -

CumDumpster

camedei707, Evil Overlord of Xedo
kiwifarms.net
I've never had the kind of money to blow on these boxes. Knowing that this would inevitably happen however, I'm not surprised.
The next thing to go will be subscription VoD services. We're seeing this already with every studio in Hollywood trying to jump into subscription VoD trying to cash in on Netflix's success, never mind that convenience made them the killer service at one point.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
We're seeing this already with every studio in Hollywood trying to jump into subscription VoD trying to cash in on Netflix's success, never mind that convenience made them the killer service at one point.
Netflix never made any money. Its just not a good idea. streaming is expensive. and the tech side doesnt get much cheaper if you increase the userbase. you have to stream to everybody watching,useing bandwidth and Servers. TV is alot better for large userbases. it doesnt matter if one or 100 million are watching, the costs is always the same.

Echo_Ender

Doggo
kiwifarms.net
I still don't get how you lose money doing that. You're charging tards $25 for taking a shit in a box. Shouldn't the worst that happens be you get fewer tards? You're still just charging $25 for random garbage.
Easily, actually.

They were spending stupidly huge amounts of money on advertising, sending reps to conventions, paying "Influencers" to shill for them, and having tons of Youtube/Facebook ads.

And it was being eaten from the inside. You know the usual tricks. People were padding their "Business expenses", useless higher-ups constantly raising their salaries, giving preferential contracts suppliers they happen to bd friends with.

From what I've read, the company was saturated with that kind of mismanagement, but so many folks had their hands in cookie jars that no one is stupid enough spill the beans.

Piss

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember when their ad reads were everywhere a few years ago. And they were always read with barely concealed contempt (I assume they paid well). Howard Stern sounded absolutely exasperated during his.
That was the one good thing about these crates, you could tell how good of an actor everyone was by how hard they tried to act enthusiastic. Fuck me running, were some people obnoxious about them. At least Ashens made fun of all the junk and catalogued their demise, pointing out how the crates were just getting worse and worse.

I can't believe they had Stern doing ads. I wouldn't think anyone who listens to his show would want a box full of capeshit garbage.

Last edited:

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
I'm framing it in a silly way but genuinely the only way I can imagine this failing is embezzlement.
they had waaay to many people working for them.
You need to be a capitalist to run such a company, not a woke femboi.
buy cheap stuff directly from china and let low wage slaves the boxes in some cheap state. get a state or town(or both) to give you money for placeing your warehouse in a rundown town. pay youtubers with free shit for ads. they life of catfood, they will gladly make a video about your box for the box.

Weppers

kiwifarms.net
Barkbox was actually pretty good, but that's because a dog will be legitimately excited by a new $3.71 worth of toys every month. My dog started to recognize the Barkbox box when it arrived and he'd stuff his nose into it the second I cut it open. It made a squeaking hamburger a fun thing to get in the mail.

Any of these other loot crate ideas are just the kind of shit that fills the storage units in this country.

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
Funko isn't going away any time soon.
Funko is losing shelf space and retail channels at an alarming rate. Further your product has a natural limiting factor. Your couch surfing dangerhaired Primary customers don’t live in 7000 sq foot mansions. They eventually run out of space. But the biggest thing hanging over Funko is licensing. They have bought up tons of expensive licensing. For pretty much every IP ever. To slap on dollar store crap. How many big headed figures of Iron Man do they have to sell just to pay off the insane license cost? They’ve got to be carrying an insane debt load. And the principals have to have known from the beginning, and are just insuring that they line their pockets deeply before the bubble bursts.

I still don't get how you lose money doing that. You're charging tards $25 for taking a shit in a box. Shouldn't the worst that happens be you get fewer tards? You're still just charging $25 for random garbage.
Well you start by paying somebody an insane amount of money to use licensed shit. Than you overpay every Z list you tuber to eat your shit on camera while smiling about it.

I've never had the kind of money to blow on these boxes. Knowing that this would inevitably happen however, I'm not surprised.
The next thing to go will be subscription VoD services. We're seeing this already with every studio in Hollywood trying to jump into subscription VoD trying to cash in on Netflix's success, never mind that convenience made them the killer service at one point.
The small specialized VoD subscription services will be dead by next spring. Stuff like Crunchyroll or Funimation. It will all be hovered up into the big players and killed off. Streaming services will thrive as they strangle traditional broadcast television and cable tv.

That was the one good thing about these crates, you could tell how good of an actor everyone was by how hard they tried to act enthusiastic. Fuck me running, were some people obnoxious about them. At least Ashens made fun of all the junk and catalogued their demise, pointing out how the crates were just getting worse and worse.

One internet group everyone knows but nobody cares about is Mega64, and I've thought about writing a thread (or at least a long post) about how their podcast went from pretty good to the most obnoxious garbage imaginable, and one of the ways that happened was with how they read their ads. Rocco aggressively pushes for the sale, Derek tries to play up the products but just can't hide his overwhelming apathy and Sean just flat out doesn't give a shit because he hates doing the show, but chugs ahead anyway because it pays the bills. I quit watching them ages ago, but I still have Rocco shouting "our sponsor today is LOOT CRate" stuck in my head when I hear the name.

I can't believe they had Stern doing ads. I wouldn't think anyone who listens to his show would want a box full of capeshit garbage.
The unboxing fools were a two edged sword for Lootcrate. Yeah they built brand recognition. But any enjoyment from Lootcrates product was best achieved vicariously via watching some other moron open his box of mystery crap. Thus removing your need to spend money to do so. “Yep! This internet idiot just showed me all the shit for free. There’s nothing in there I or anybody would want. But almost fun to watch for 5 minutes”

Abortions4All

Can't complain (but sometimes I still do)
kiwifarms.net
It's not surprising these things go tits-up.

What is surprising to me is that the trend hasn't been retooled for the larger mega-corporations a la P&G. A subscription box that curated personal care, shaving, toiletry, etc. products based on consumer preferences would be great. Every 3 months they could send a new toothbrush, base the frequency of sending shampoo on the length of your hair, and so on. Bundling items like that would present a way to get new products into consumer hands when needed, could get rid of overstock or about-to-be-changed packaging for other times, and keeps people locked in to one company for a wide range of needs.

Subscriptions of geek toy shit was only ever going to appeal to children who still wanted to believe in Santa Claus, even if they had to pay for the sleigh to get there. The future of subscription boxes will be for things people don't want to think that much about at all, not things they think obsessively about. When it's things we obsess about, most of us want the curation level to be much better than anything that can be reasonably achieved at scale.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
The unboxing fools were a two edged sword for Lootcrate. Yeah they built brand recognition. But any enjoyment from Lootcrates product was best achieved vicariously via watching some other moron open his box of mystery crap. Thus removing your need to spend money to do so. “Yep! This internet idiot just showed me all the shit for free. There’s nothing in there I or anybody would want. But almost fun to watch for 5 minutes”
Not to mention you could get half of that shit individually at the mall. I mean most malls are dying, but if not that, you could probably watch an unboxing and if there's anything you want, you could probably find it online or through some re-seller.

What is surprising to me is that the trend hasn't been retooled for the larger mega-corporations a la P&G. A subscription box that curated personal care, shaving, toiletry, etc. products based on consumer preferences would be great. Every 3 months they could send a new toothbrush, base the frequency of sending shampoo on the length of your hair, and so on. Bundling items like that would present a way to get new products into consumer hands when needed, could get rid of overstock or about-to-be-changed packaging for other times, and keeps people locked in to one company for a wide range of needs.
To me this seems a bit Orwellian and the reason I imagine it wouldnt have much success. People are willing to sell their information and data, so long as companies are not overt about it. Everybody knows the government is watching, everybody knows your phone is listening to your conversations and tracking your movements--but people like the illusion of freedom from that shit. Id rather go to a store and look at what they offer (and of course P&G and the store itself is monitoring what sells and what you buy) but to be able to pick and choose, if they have a new product that catches my eye I might try it out, or compare prices, or try a different brand. I would feel a bit dehumanized to receive, like, a corporate box in the mail that's like "Here is your monthly supply of razors, hint: time to shave your pubes again, based on our research they seem to be getting a bit out of control by this point!"

Because people also change, it seems like you would either have to be a part of a long study and then just adhere to the results of that for as long as youre using the service, without deciding to try a different scented soap or something, or you would be individually selecting what goes in the box when and at that point youre just buying it off Amazon or might as well just go to the store.

Last edited:

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
It's not a subscription box but I've seen boxes that are kind of like that on sale at larger supermarkets (mainly large format Loblaws) in Canada. I think they're essentially "starter kits" aimed primarily at college students living on their own for the first time.

Ped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
People just love kits

And not the baby fox kind. Those are actually worthy of love.

Get one product someone needs and include four inferior versions of things often sold at the same time, then mark it up, up, up!

EDIT: Is the kit fetish why "prepper" dipshits cum in their pants over MREs?

Debrotherized Luigi

Late Night Delight
kiwifarms.net
Barkbox was actually pretty good, but that's because a dog will be legitimately excited by a new $3.71 worth of toys every month. My dog started to recognize the Barkbox box when it arrived and he'd stuff his nose into it the second I cut it open. It made a squeaking hamburger a fun thing to get in the mail.

Any of these other loot crate ideas are just the kind of shit that fills the storage units in this country.
BarkBox is probably the best out of them, imho, if you have a dog anyways. Dog stuff, especially good, durable toys, can be expensive. So getting a few of them each month and some extras is a good value in my book.

LootCrate, though... once they started spinning off into other themes boxes, I knew they were fast tracking themselves to an early grave.

Slamerella

If I won't do it, then who will?
kiwifarms.net
Having excess of something can make you lose sales. It's why after a while, they let you buy the remaining product on their store, and soon people started only waiting for the lootbox to reveal contents, just to buy what they wanted in the box.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People just love kits

And not the baby fox kind. Those are actually worthy of love.

Get one product someone needs and include four inferior versions of things often sold at the same time, then mark it up, up, up!

EDIT: Is the kit fetish why "prepper" dipshits cum in their pants over MREs?
Where I work, the rationale is kits are for people who don't really know what they are doing and want to make sure they have everything in case they need it. Vs. buying the exact one or two things they certainly need, which takes some research.

After understanding this, I realized just how pervasive it is. For example, I've had a "kit" sitting on my counter for years - it's a typical 18 piece knife block that many many people have.

I'm not even sure where I got it at this point. But it's clearly meant for people who don't know what they're doing but think they might use some of the tools. After getting more proficient at cooking, I realized I don't need most of the knives. So I've been looking for a customizable and quality thing, which is probably more expensive than the whole kit ever was.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino