Loqueesha - Somebody actually thought this was a good idea in CURRENT YEAR

MediocreMilt

There is always time to talk about our feelings.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not even gonna be outraged by this, I'm just gonna laugh at its very existence.
I don't see the problem. It's basically "White Chicks" in reverse.

I mean, I don't see the problem besides the fact that, like White Chicks, it looks like you're supposed to buy it from the bottom of a bin at Walmart.

Last edited:

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Oh god. Oh my god. Who is the smooth-brained motherfucker who signed off on this? There are multiple people that will lose jobs for this.

The funny thing is I could actually see the basic idea being very funny and biting with a writer or writers who were willing to engage in some serious take-no-prisoners shit in regards to quota-based hiring practices, the warped and stereotypical expectations the quota-makers have of applicants (that moment when the dude is going absolutely gaga over the SASSY BLACK WOMAN, "get her in here!") and how that all kind of feeds into the promotion of caricatures and stereotypes for no reason other than "it sells well", and lastly the idea that people need to hear things from the "right kind of person" or they won't accept them at all.

But this is going to be a shitshow because of course it is.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
I don't see the problem. It's basically "White Chicks" in reverse.

I mean, I don't see the problem besides the fact that, like White Chicks, it looks like you're supposed to buy it from the bottom of a bin at Walmart.
Pretty much, it doesn’t sound like a horribly offensive movie, it just sounds like a 10 minute comedy sketch that’a getting stretched to 70+ minutes

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much, it doesn’t sound like a horribly offensive movie, it just sounds like a 10 minute comedy sketch that’a getting stretched to 70+ minutes
There are key differences between White Chicks and Loqueesha.

1. I don't think I've ever seen anyone take a swing at the Wayans Bros. before. I'm inclined to think that people realize it's not a fight they're going to win.
  2. This looks like it's going the other direction - "blackface" or whatever you'd call it instead of "white-chickface". Both are transgressive, but stereotypes about white women are apparently WAY fucking safer to toy with than stereotypes about black women. Whether this is proper or not is immaterial, it's what it looks like to me.
  3. This is potentially taking dead-aim at a sacred cow - diversity quotas. That's going to be a massive sore spot.
I have never been one to set limits or boundaries on transgressive humor myself, but I know I'm playing with fire if I make the wrong transgressive joke to the wrong audience.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
There are key differences between White Chicks and Loqueesha.

1. I don't think I've ever seen anyone take a swing at the Wayans Bros. before. I'm inclined to think that people realize it's not a fight they're going to win.
  2. This looks like it's going the other direction - "blackface" or whatever you'd call it instead of "white-chickface". Both are transgressive, but stereotypes about white women are apparently WAY fucking safer to toy with than stereotypes about black women. Whether this is proper or not is immaterial, it's what it looks like to me.
  3. This is potentially taking dead-aim at a sacred cow - diversity quotas. That's going to be a massive sore spot.
I have never been one to set limits or boundaries on transgressive humor myself, but I know I'm playing with fire if I make the wrong transgressive joke to the wrong audience.
There’s definitely ingredients for a clever movie here, but I’m kinda doubtful that this’ll be anything other than low budget, Madea-tier garbage. Kinda evident by the fact that they’re basically telling us the entire story out the gate as opposed to letting any of it be a surprise

A

AP 297

kiwifarms.net
Well it looks like the twitterverse and clickbaitosphere have discovered this:

https://uproxx.com/viral/loqueesha-problematic-trailer-twitter-reactions/

http://archive.li/3OeE6

Twitter Users Are Horrified By The Trailer For ‘Loqueesha’

On Friday, social media suddenly and violently became aware of the existence of Loqueesha, a forthcoming indie comedy about a cash-strapped white man (played by the film’s writer/director Jeremy Saville) who becomes a radio star by pretending to be a black women. It…did not go over well.

The movie, set to arrive on July 12, was introduced via a press release touting the film’s, shall we say, potentially problematic premise. The press release promises that the film “deftly” navigates “the prevalent themes of race and gender in our culture,” and that it “reminds us that, in the end, our personal truth is all that matters. Well, that and a good laugh.”

Accompanying the text was a photo, in which its lead actor stands in front of a microphone while both hands hold a bisected decapitated head of a black woman, somewhat reminiscent of the classic “get ready for a surprise!” scenefrom the original Total Recall.

A trailer, which you can watch above, also dropped, just to prove Loqueeshaisn’t an elaborate, devastating joke about hubristic white people who maybe shouldn’t feel so comfortable talking publicly about race in America.

The film appears to be a Hollywood calling card from its auteur-star, a longtime actor and comic who biggest credit is a single episode of Modern Family. He’s also made a handful of shorts, a comedy TV show that doesn’t appear to have been picked up, and a feature, from 2012, called The Test, in which he played a man who, as per the IMDb description, puts his “unwitting bride-to-be through a series of increasingly bizarre ‘stress tests’ to see if she’s worthy of marriage.”

It seems The Test did not make Saville a name, but perhaps Loqueesha will. Heck, it already has. The film quickly became a viral punching bag.

In response to the last tweet, the official Loqueesha Twitter account tried to put out the fire by offering Patton Oswalt an invite to the movie and asking him to have a great weekend.

Oswalt didn’t respond.

Saville, on his own Twitter account, weighed in, comparing his pet project toWhite Chicks, the not-terribly-liked yet less controversial 2004 movie in which the Wayans brothers don whiteface. Saville even threw in a blurry selfie of him with Marlon Wayans, the latter looking slightly awkward.

That also didn’t go over well.

Some people compared Loqueesha to Soul Man, the 1986 comedy in which C. Thomas Howell, in an attempt to battle affirmative action, dons blackface and pretends to be African-American in order to get into college.

Meanwhile, some took umbrage with the stereotype-embracing title.

Some criticized the basis of its premise.

Some pointed to the film’s quickly tarnished IMDb trivia page.

Others were just not having it at all.

The article mentioned white chicks and family guy while also bringing up the 1980's film Soul Man. Twitter is melting with anger over this. There are lots of tweets to grab in the link.

Suffice it to say, if the creators idea was to have people angry, they accomplished it.

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
The article mentioned white chicks and family guy while also bringing up the 1980's film Soul Man. Twitter is melting with anger over this. There are lots of tweets to grab in the link.

Suffice it to say, if the creators idea was to have people angry, they accomplished it.
Well, seeing as these people weren't likely going to see it and the uproar they made likely increased its reach to normal people... so yeah, I'd say they accomplished it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino