‘Lord of the Rings’ Anime Movie in the Works From New Line, Warner Bros. Animation - We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes... Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark... We cannot get out... They are coming.

Judge Holden

NO!!! MASSA NO!!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Twenty years after making its first journey into the lands created by J.R.R. Tolkien, New Line is returning to the worlds of The Lord of the Rings.

The Warner Bros. movie division, which made the Oscar-winning Rings trilogy and later adapted The Hobbit, has partnered with Warner Bros. Animation to produce an original anime set in Tolkien’s fantasy world, the companies announced Thursday.

Titled The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, the standalone feature will be directed by Kenji Kamiyama, an anime veteran who last directed Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex TV series, and produced by Joseph Chou. The two have worked on some of the biggest anime franchises over the years including Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya, Ultraman, Appleseed, on top of Ghost in the Shell.

Rohirrim is being written by Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews, the creators behind Netflix’s Emmy-winning The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance series.

Philippa Boyens, who co-wrote Rings and Hobbit with filmmaker Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, winning an Oscar for The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, is serving as a consultant on the project.

Jackson is not involved with Rohirrim but has blessed its making, according to insiders. The project is on the fast-track with animation being done at Sola Entertaiment and voice-casting underway. The plan is to release the movie theatrically.

Rohirrim ties to the original trilogy, specifically the second installment, The Two Towers, by focusing on an untold story behind Helm’s Deep, the fortress at the center of the movie’s epic battle. The story will be set hundreds of years before that fateful war and, according to the announcement, tell of the life and bloodsoaked times of its fonder, Helm Hammerhand, the King of Rohan.

“All of us at New Line feel a deep affinity for the extraordinary world J.R.R. Tolkien created, so the opportunity to dive back into Middle-earth with the team at Warner Bros. Animation is a dream come true,” enthused Warner Bros. Pictures Group COO Carolyn Blackwood, and New Line president and CCO, Richard Brener, in a statement. “Fans know Helm’s Deep as the stage for one of the greatest battles ever put to film and, with many of the same creative visionaries involved and the brilliant Kenji Kamiyama at the helm, we couldn’t be more excited to deliver a fresh vision of its history that will invite global audiences to experience the rich, complex saga of Middle-earth in a thrilling new way.”

The initial Rings trilogy grossed $2.9 billion upon initial release and won 17 Oscars, on top of 13 other Oscar nominations. Its success continued in many DVD/Blu-ray editions, pop culture dominance, and engendered a Rings tourist trade in New Zealand, where the films were made.

Amazon Studios paid $250 million for the screen rights to Rings and is planning on spending close to a billion dollars on a series franchise. Amazon however does not have the rights to the actual Rings story and its multiple series will be set in a different age of the world that is known as Middle Earth.

bc2.jpg

frozenrunner

Pride month is gay as fuck.
kiwifarms.net
> Lord of the Rings

> anime

Jesus Christ, kill it with fucking fire.

I'm just imagining Christopher Tolkien holding the line like Boromir as he gets hit by arrow after arrow, forcing him to his feet. Finally, a hulking, black Amazon Studios-branded tranny stamps up to his kneeling form and readies a New Line Cinema shaft towards his head. And Aragorn is not on the way, sadly.

You fought long and well, Christopher, but the war is over (:_(

Still wont beat the 1978 version.

If they don't rotoscope anything they'll win by default.

Last edited:

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
Why, wouldn't it make more money to make it a live action movie or are they not allowed to do that due to the amazon deals?

I just can't see this doing well unless it's a super low budget VoD movie like the DC animated movies they do. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies a movie with a mix reaction to be kind grossed 956 million USD world wide showing there is life left in this brand, while I doubt this would gross that much if it was done live action, but I do think it's a safe bet to make money if it didn't have a crazy budget aka not $200+ million.

However world doesn't need more LotR movies, just saying making a weeb cartoon doesn't make much sense business wise unless they are legally not allowed to do it any other way.

Last edited:

BlamoPlasmo

random encounter
kiwifarms.net
I am tired that they have to over exploit everything. I wish things had more soul, but alas that would require thinking instead of just spamming content.

Also, while I loved Star Wars, do they need to follow the EU route and just make a cinematic universe about every prop and unimportant past event? Geek culture man, missing the point of the story but obsessing over pointless trivia. Fitting way for culture to die.

Oh man. There just trying to milk this franchise out until it bleeds like Star wars arent they.
Most likely. It makes me wonder if they will be forced to be creative again after they have destroyed the legacy of the creative output of the last 100+ years.

The Shadow

Charming rogue
kiwifarms.net

Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.​