‘Lord of the Rings’ Anime Movie in the Works From New Line, Warner Bros. Animation - We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes... Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark... We cannot get out... They are coming.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

DoNotReadTheFinePrint

kiwifarms.net
I would watch a Ghibli adaptation of Lord of the Rings but it being done by a western studio makes me worry. I bet half or more than half of the cast will be black/brown (especially the elves) and some strange sexuality will be sprinkled over some characters.

Also, animation is kind of a board therm. Do they mean 2D animationm 3D with 2D overlay/aestethic, or pure 3D. My bet is on the later and it will probably look horrendous.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
How could this possibly be anime if it's made by a western studio? Just because one Japanese guy is on the team doesn't make it anime.
My theory is that they're embarrassed by the American animation industry and would rather associate their projects with anime because that industry is known for its variety of age demographics, genres, tones and markets. I wouldn't be surprised if the terms "cartoon" and "adult animated series" are phased out for "anime" as a catch-all term for any animated project.

PenguinSuitAlice

I'm a witch for Halloween.
kiwifarms.net
As gay as it being an anime sounds. I like the premise. Helm Hammerhand is a cool figure. I'm sure they will fuck it up though.
I hope they will do the moment when Helm fat-shames Freca and then kills him with his bare hands.
'Of the Kings of the Mark between Eorl and Théoden most is said of Helm Hammerhand. He was a grim man of great strength. There was at that time a man named Freca, who claimed descent from King Fréawine, though he had, men said, much Dunlendish blood, and was dark-haired. He grew rich and powerful, having wide lands on either side of the Adorn. Near its source he made himself a stronghold and paid little heed to the king. Helm mistrusted him, but called him to his councils; and he came when it pleased him. 'To one of these councils Freca rode with many men, and he asked the hand of Helm's daughter for his son Wulf. But Helm said: "You have grown big since you were last here; but it is mostly fat, I guess"; and men laughed at that, for Freca was wide in the belt. 'Then Freca fell in a rage and reviled the king, and said this at the last: "Old kings that refuse a proffered staff may fall on their knees." Helm answered: "Come! The marriage of your son is a trifle. Let Helm and Freca deal with it later. Meanwhile the king and his council have matters of moment to consider." 'When the council was over, Helm stood up and laid his great hand on Freca's shoulder, saying: "The king does not permit brawls in his house, but men are freer outside"; and he forced Freca to walk before him out from Edoras into the field. To Freca's men that came up he said: "Be off! We need no hearers. We are going to speak of a private matter alone. Go and talk to my men!" And they looked and saw that the king's men and his friends far outnumbered them, and they drew back. ' "Now, Dunlending," said the king, "you have only Helm to deal with, alone and unarmed. But you have said much already, and it is my turn to speak. Freca, your folly has grown with your belly. You talk of a staff! If Helm dislikes a crooked staff that is thrust on him, he breaks it. So!" With that he smote Freca such a blow with his fist that he fell back stunned, and died soon after. 'Helm then proclaimed Freca's son and near kin the king's enemies; and they fled, for at once Helm sent many men riding to the west marches.'

Vyse Inglebard

Aika, this "ghost" must be something scary indeed.
kiwifarms.net
My theory is that they're embarrassed by the American animation industry and would rather associate their projects with anime because that industry is known for its variety of age demographics, genres, tones and markets. I wouldn't be surprised if the terms "cartoon" and "adult animated series" are phased out for "anime" as a catch-all term for any animated project.
Except they cannot be anime. Anime is legit better than Western "animation" these days. And I dunno who TF these people are kidding when they call this LOTR grave-humping an "anime". That'd be like calling Avatar: The Last Airbender an anime......wait.......

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Except they cannot be anime. Anime is legit better than Western "animation" these days. And I dunno who TF these people are kidding when they call this LOTR grave-humping an "anime". That'd be like calling Avatar: The Last Airbender an anime......wait.......
Behold, this is also anime!
anime.jpg

PenguinSuitAlice

I'm a witch for Halloween.
kiwifarms.net
Looking at the setting, which is during the reign of Helm Hammerhand (and probably his successor Fréaláf Hildeson also). The main villains of the story will be Dunlendings, who are uncivilized wildmen who are described as 'swarthy' who were the indigenous (at least they claim to be, which they aren't) people of Calenardhon (later the Mark) that were driven out when the Éothéod (later the Rohirrim) were given it as a gift by Gondor for their service in fighting Easterlings.

I have a theory. The Rohirrim will be the villains. Perhaps the Tolkien estate would not allow this, but everything is up in the air now with Christopher dead. Portraying a blonde-haired race of men (allied with Gondor) fighting against a darker skinned race of men ( allied with the Easterlings and Corsairs of Umbar) who are taking revenge for being driven from their land will not fly with woke audiences in the slightest. But the Show is called 'The Rohirrim' not 'the Straw-heads'(the Dunlendish name for Rohirrim), so I might be wrong.
They'll probably say the Helm was completely in the wrong for killing Freca and make Wulf the hero who was taking revenge for his father and his people.

There shouldn't be any elves, hobbits, dwarves or orcs in this show. Gandalf might have a cameo and Saruman will certainly show up at the end because he received Isengard after this. Sauron or the Ringwraiths may do things behind the scenes or not even be involved, since Sauron was in Dol Guldur in Mirkwood as the Necromancer at this time.
Or they might just Shadow of Mordor it and take incredible liberties with the lore to the point it barely resembles anything Tolkien intended. Remember, the Amazon showmakers essentially frustrated the lore expert sent by the Tolkien estate until he left the production. Why can't they people do the same?
And I'm not even going to go into how this to being touted as an anime.

Knight of the Rose

kiwifarms.net
but everything is up in the air now with Christopher dead.

317ae63f5e961d2325f2a6ed3254f9df.png

>Died: January 16, 2020

Everything is really coming together now.

" Remember, the Amazon showmakers essentially frustrated the lore expert sent by the Tolkien estate until he left the production. "

I'm not the least surprised, but that completely confirms that it is absolute shit.

Oats12345

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2252670

>Died: January 16, 2020

Everything is really coming together now.

" Remember, the Amazon showmakers essentially frustrated the lore expert sent by the Tolkien estate until he left the production. "

I'm not the least surprised, but that completely confirms that it is absolute shit.
Why were they frustrated? Because there were no gays or trannies

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, that's probably why they hired Kenji Kamiyama to do it, it's to thinly pass it off like an anime but it's fully produced by American studios. At least the Blade Runner show Kamiyama is doing was animated and written in Japan, also with all respect to him, I don't really think his style fits the Lord of the Rings. I really like Moribito but it's a really different type of direction from what I'd associate with Lord of the Rings. Blade Runner is a perfect fit for him though and I'm really excited for that one.
I wouldn't mind seeing Japanese anime interpretations of American IPs and stories, like what World Masterpiece Theater did, but in order for it to feel genuine and not a cash grab, American studios need to give them free-reign.

Last edited:
I have a theory. The Rohirrim will be the villains. Perhaps the Tolkien estate would not allow this, but everything is up in the air now with Christopher dead.
They're adapting material from The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien Estate has no say in how LOTR is used. JRRT sold the rights to it long ago. If New Line tries not to pay them again the Estate will drag them back into court, but that will happen after the Rohan film is released.

Shokaract

kiwifarms.net
Looking at the setting, which is during the reign of Helm Hammerhand (and probably his successor Fréaláf Hildeson also). The main villains of the story will be Dunlendings, who are uncivilized wildmen who are described as 'swarthy' who were the indigenous (at least they claim to be, which they aren't) people of Calenardhon (later the Mark) that were driven out when the Éothéod (later the Rohirrim) were given it as a gift by Gondor for their service in fighting Easterlings.

I have a theory. The Rohirrim will be the villains. Perhaps the Tolkien estate would not allow this, but everything is up in the air now with Christopher dead. Portraying a blonde-haired race of men (allied with Gondor) fighting against a darker skinned race of men ( allied with the Easterlings and Corsairs of Umbar) who are taking revenge for being driven from their land will not fly with woke audiences in the slightest. But the Show is called 'The Rohirrim' not 'the Straw-heads'(the Dunlendish name for Rohirrim), so I might be wrong.
They'll probably say the Helm was completely in the wrong for killing Freca and make Wulf the hero who was taking revenge for his father and his people.

There shouldn't be any elves, hobbits, dwarves or orcs in this show. Gandalf might have a cameo and Saruman will certainly show up at the end because he received Isengard after this. Sauron or the Ringwraiths may do things behind the scenes or not even be involved, since Sauron was in Dol Guldur in Mirkwood as the Necromancer at this time.
Or they might just Shadow of Mordor it and take incredible liberties with the lore to the point it barely resembles anything Tolkien intended. Remember, the Amazon showmakers essentially frustrated the lore expert sent by the Tolkien estate until he left the production. Why can't they people do the same?
And I'm not even going to go into how this to being touted as an anime.
Maybe they will do a race swap and have Helm be a strong black man, and have the Rohirrim be culturally diverse.