Lord of the Rings TV Series in Development - How could this POSSIBLY go wrong...

Oats12345

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think another thing they are going to get wrong will be the Elves themselves. Tolkein was very clear the only true difference between Elves and Men were Men had far shorter lives and thus tried to do things faster. The Elves were not some mysterious sub angelic entities imbued with innate wisdom or morality. They were just as prone to foibles and sins as the Humans. In many ways they were worse since they were often prideful and arrogant to a fault.

Especially 1st age and 2nd age Elves who were not in decline. The key thing about the 3rd age Elves is that they were tired. They'd just gotten tired of life and wanted to go to sleep. The reason they had to sail west is that if they didn't they would become wraiths. Forever tied to the fate of Arda but also unable to truly die, trapped in a quasi death until the end of time. Pretty shit circumstance.

I bet though the Elves in this will just be a retread of Peter Jackson's Elves, only with more boobs. Also, Isildur has a sister now! Go strong Woman go!

Let me guess the ring could corrupt him but not her because Women more strong willed!!

ProblematicUser420

Trans Wrongs
kiwifarms.net
I remember when Shadow of Mordor came out, I was like "Eh, a film LOTR EU could be alright I guess"

Then Shadow of War introduced nogs and lady captains and I was like "Okay, that's enough."

But they're not going to stop. Not until this corpse is beaten to a pulp.

Shamash

Lawgiver, Judge of gods and men, Lord of the Sun
kiwifarms.net
I remember when Shadow of Mordor came out, I was like "Eh, a film LOTR EU could be alright I guess"

Then Shadow of War introduced nogs and lady captains and I was like "Okay, that's enough."

But they're not going to stop. Not until this corpse is beaten to a pulp.
Nope, not until all things are defiled.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The elven rings were basically a way to delay time and decay. The elves created little pocket paradises where time didn’t go on or moved very slowly. It was basically the elves trying to delay the inevitable reality that they were passing away and had to leave middle earth.

That is a major theme in Tolkien’s work, the world is moving on its course and you can’t stop it. That is something a lot of casual fans don’t understand and a lot of derivative fantasy works fail to grasp-the elves are fading in Tolkien because they are metaphysically tied to the Earth itself, and thus their decline is pre ordained.

Decline, decay, and the past being greater than the present is omnipresent throughout tolkien’s work, and I doubt Amazon will be able to grasp that.
There is a certain kind of melancholy to the world, where ruins of former splendor are all around you, the elves and dwarves mourn the loss of their greatest achievements and you know the world is just kind of winding down. Dwarves are becoming more rare, elves prepare to leave Middle Earth, Ents become trees, magic is weakening and even Dragons have become a thing of the past.
We're at the brink of a new era, maybe the era of humans, maybe the era of orcs, but in order for this new era to begin, the things of the past must go. And as you said, it's not just the third age that works like this, there was always a theme of loss and decay (or at least of change) in Middle Earth...

And all these beautifully melancholy undertones will be drowned out by potty-mouthed elves wagging their bare tits at the camera, displays of vulgar egdelord crap and libtard political bullshit like a shitton of brown people suddenly being the foundation of everything in the Hobbit or LOTR we know and love. Just you wait, every lineage, every important family, every important place will be created by blacks, muslim-standins and the meany UGH! old white men will steal it from the noble savages, the humble masters of morality, the nice and courteous black people. Just you fucking wait.

This shitshow will have the gall to show us a scene of Minas Tirith being build with black slave labor and have some hamfisted line about the proud warriors of the Haradrim coming to tear this monument to UGH! white toxicity down!

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
(Sorry about the double post.)

There's a "trailer" now:

EDIT: And the name of the show will be "The Rings of Power".
Howard Shore did the score, that's probably pretty good. Like what I heard of it there, at any rate. The CGI color vomit gave me weird Star Wars Revenge of the Sith flashbacks.

Not optimistic about the rest of it, though I don't see how it could possibly be worse than Wheel of Prime. I hope? I am gonna watch it, at least the first season.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"The Rings of Power" sounds pretty fucking lame and gay. I can't put my finger on it, but it gives me a really cartoonish vibe. Like "Captain Planet"-tier shlock.

Also note how this trailer exclusively consists of the ring-poem. Sure, it's a show based on LOTR, but this thing doesn't even try to build an identity of its own. What does it say about this project when it literally starts with a "REMEMBER THE RINGS OF LORD OF THE RINGS?!" and you just know there's going to be fuckers like this guy:
767.png

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know... in the good old days of entertainment that was actually entertaining, we had shows with a core audience in mind. Nowadays, everything tries to appeal to everyone on one hand and then also peddle "The Message™" in more or less subtle ways.

Think of Xena or The adventures of Hercules. That stuff was campy trash made for an audience that enjoys campy trash. Star Trek was made to appeal to Star Trek fans. Shows had an intended audience and tried to be accessible enough for the chance watcher that would stumble upon that show and captivate their interest.

There's nothing bad about trying to appeal to a wider market, but that should not come at the cost of the core audience. And even though some shows like Star Trek were political in the past, that stuff was never used to beat you over the head with blatantly divisive bullshit.

This new shitshow is just another page in the enormous book of shitty entertainment. A show that follows beat for beat the terrible precedents of former franchises... and here I am wondering: Will things ever be better again? I hope so, an entire fucking industry is marching from financial blunder to financial blunder producing nothing but soulless cashgrab crap with political messages about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the chin.

Edit:
Check this out.

Apparently, the trailer isn't just rendered, they actually poured molten metal into a wooden block carved with letters and then poured water over it...

But it looks so fake and wonky in the trailer, they must have played around on the saturation sliders like crazy and added some effects or something, cause the result looks like garbage CGI.

Last edited:

Mr. Zed da Robot Poon Fed

Goooooooooood!
kiwifarms.net
You know... in the good old days of entertainment that was actually entertaining, we had shows with a core audience in mind. Nowadays, everything tries to appeal to everyone on one hand and then also peddle "The Message™" in more or less subtle ways.

Think of Xena or The adventures of Hercules. That stuff was campy trash made for an audience that enjoys campy trash. Star Trek was made to appeal to Star Trek fans. Shows had an intended audience and tried to be accessible enough for the chance watcher that would stumble upon that show and captivate their interest.

There's nothing bad about trying to appeal to a wider market, but that should not come at the cost of the core audience. And even though some shows like Star Trek were political in the past, that stuff was never used to beat you over the head with blatantly divisive bullshit.

This new shitshow is just another page in the enormous book of shitty entertainment. A show that follows beat for beat the terrible precedents of former franchises... and here I am wondering: Will things ever be better again? I hope so, an entire fucking industry is marching from financial blunder to financial blunder producing nothing but soulless cashgrab crap with political messages about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the chin.
I remember when shows like Babylon 5, and even Star Trek when it began, did test pilots to see if there was actually an audience interested in these products before they started, and if not, it would just be a stand-alone movie or something like that. And if it succeeded, that audience was kept. The audience doesn't even have to be known immediately if it's not a pre-existing franchise. It just needs to find the audience and keep it. Now, that's a complete rarity and people just end up making unfinished shows and unoriginal cash grabs, sprinkling in generic social justice tropes and this Joss Whedon-esque dialogue.

Hollywood isn't going to fix this. They have no intention of doing that. They have Hollywood accounting by their side. Like what YoungRippa says, it's really up to us and putting our resources and skills together to make stuff that we're passionate about.