Lord of the Rings TV Series in Development - How could this POSSIBLY go wrong...

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

skykiii

kiwifarms.net
Not yet they can. But they are likely already exploring ways to reprint LOTR with more inclusive language.
I'm now remembering a rumor I heard decades ago that there was gonna be a reprint of Chronicles of Narnia with all the religious text/subtext taken out to make it more atheist-friendly. People were UP IN ARMS at the mere suggestion. IIRC it turned out that the publisher just planned to do a line of spinoff Narnia novels, but even that seems to have gotten quietly shitcanned.

(Still wish they would reprint the series in the PROPER order--Wardrobe first, Magician's Nephew is book six).

White Devil

Well I may be a monster, but you're gay.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just bought the 1976 box set edition in the gold foil because the thought of them re-releasing edited books fills me with horror.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
BUY OUR PRODUCTS!! CONSUME!! KEEP GOING!! SEE WHERE IT TAKES YOU!!

The pandering level is not 3.6 roentgen, is 15000 :cryblood:
Reminds me of these Covid vaccine ads I keep seeing on YouTube that starts with a little girl going up to her dad and literally going “Daddy, I’m scared. I don’t want to get sick…”

kūhaku

from the outside looking in
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Female orcs? Aren't they genderless?
Probably not genderless, there is a even a reference to a specific Orc being the son of another Orc in the Hobbit.
Since they were created from elves originally, and its not like they just come into being from nowhere, there are most likely female orcs. Found some site online that says Tolkien confirmed there were female orcs they just weren't important to the story because they didn't go out to wars.
My biggest grievance isn't with the existence of female orcs, its more what the Amazon show is probably going to do with them. Ideally, they'd just have the same personalities as their male counterparts - hating all that is good and being generally violent and cruel. But I imagine the show is going to have some female orcs either have gurl power, or have them be "innocent" and they're just forced to breed orcs by the evil male orcs and the female orcs aren't to blame. Maybe even have a female orc battalion, or have the females be the actual leaders of orc society. Now that would be dumb

Morethanabitfoolish

kiwifarms.net
Since they were created from elves originally, and its not like they just come into being from nowhere, there are most likely female orcs. Found some site online that says Tolkien confirmed there were female orcs they just weren't important to the story because they didn't go out to wars.
My biggest grievance isn't with the existence of female orcs, its more what the Amazon show is probably going to do with them. Ideally, they'd just have the same personalities as their male counterparts - hating all that is good and being generally violent and cruel. But I imagine the show is going to have some female orcs either have gurl power, or have them be "innocent" and they're just forced to breed orcs by the evil male orcs and the female orcs aren't to blame. Maybe even have a female orc battalion, or have the females be the actual leaders of orc society. Now that would be dumb
Given their to be like Game of Thrones I assume there are female orcs so they can have male ones rape people. Because casually tossing rape in strikes me as the sort of story writing ability these people have.

Yuuichirou Kumada

A Chad by another name
kiwifarms.net
So, watching a footy match yesterday on Prime Video, the commentator shilled this series a couple of times. He said "This is bound to be the greatest TV series ever made!"

He also informed the series will be set "thousands of years before the original film trilogy" and asked "I wonder what's gonna happen to Frodo this time?"

Newman's Lovechild

I am totally unappreciated in my time
kiwifarms.net
But I imagine the show is going to have some female orcs either have gurl power, or have them be "innocent" and they're just forced to breed orcs by the evil male orcs and the female orcs aren't to blame. Maybe even have a female orc battalion, or have the females be the actual leaders of orc society.

Stop stop I'll give you the access codes just make it stooop

He also informed the series will be set "thousands of years before the original film trilogy" and asked "I wonder what's gonna happen to Frodo this time?"

Tell me you don't give a shit about the thing you're paid to shill without telling me etc. etc.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Hobbit 1977 is my childhood. Boone >>> Cumberbatch any day and my default voice for Gandalf is Huston, not McKellen. Was a teen when I saw the Hobbit trilogy and felt very disappointed with them.
The scene in the live action Hobbit movie where Bilbo meets Gollum has the best CG in the series. Andy Serkis has Gollum's performance polished to a mirror sheen. And yet, it can't top Brother Theodore's performance in the 1977 cartoon:

This Gollum scared the shit out of child me. I truly believe this is a creature whose every waking moment is crushing physical and spiritual pain.

Morethanabitfoolish

kiwifarms.net
I don't mean to necro.. but something funny happened today.

The reception on the second teaser trailer that came out was so bad, that Amazon pulled the video-- forcing others to archive and re-upload it. It seems like they're scared over the reception currently happening.
While I treat the various sites mentioning the new trailer as pure failure it sounds like the teaser trailer is a Prime members only thing (genius idea there guys, hiding your advertising behind a pay wall). If it did hit Youtube on an official account that would have been in error.

Only cunning reason I can see for this is by making it a Prime only trailer presumably they can copyright strike the channels of their critics more easily.

Dwight Frye

kiwifarms.net
I'm now remembering a rumor I heard decades ago that there was gonna be a reprint of Chronicles of Narnia with all the religious text/subtext taken out to make it more atheist-friendly. People were UP IN ARMS at the mere suggestion. IIRC it turned out that the publisher just planned to do a line of spinoff Narnia novels, but even that seems to have gotten quietly shitcanned.

(Still wish they would reprint the series in the PROPER order--Wardrobe first, Magician's Nephew is book six).
I get they were planning a spin-off series, but frigging HOW can you achieve that without the religious allusions? They’re integral to the series. I’m an agnostic and they’ve never bothered me, in fact I still make it a point to reread them every Christmas I cherish those books.

Thought fedora tipping atheists had become old hat (so to say) but I guess I was wrong.

Chester Rigby

Eventually relevant. Trust me.
kiwifarms.net
I don't mean to necro.. but something funny happened today.

The reception on the second teaser trailer that came out was so bad, that Amazon pulled the video-- forcing others to archive and re-upload it. It seems like they're scared over the reception currently happening.
JUST REALIZED WHO'S TRAVELLING ON THAT METEORITE!
iXaknFVXb1jU1glW5trvBRA6zZQ.jpg

Last edited:

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I get they were planning a spin-off series, but frigging HOW can you achieve that without the religious allusions? They’re integral to the series. I’m an agnostic and they’ve never bothered me, in fact I still make it a point to reread them every Christmas I cherish those books.

Thought fedora tipping atheists had become old hat (so to say) but I guess I was wrong.
These people aren't interested in adapting Tolkiens ideas to screen . They are interested in using his creation to adapt their ideas to screen. In short, it's heresy.