Macintosh computers - The apple thread

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
So I'm thinking about getting an iMac, mostly for nostalgia (I miss the multi-colored ones from grade school :( and two I'm sick and tired of windows and linux as a desktop OS is trash.
Macs seem so majestic and mysterious.
My only experience with them has been at libraries and the computer lab at my elementary school:

Those things were so fucking amazing

Macs seem to have so much potential but Apple as a company doesn't seem to be very interested in taking their desktop business seriously.
Windows is going to die out within the decade with linux replacing it (unless microsoft starts taking VR more seriously) so that gives Apple the opportunity to replace Windows as the go-to desktop OS for the masses.

So for the macfags on this forum, how do you like Mac OS and Apple computers?

LinuxVoid

Enter the void.
kiwifarms.net
You really should try these threads at http://boards.4channel.org/g/ before moving this garbage here.
But I kinda like the design of these PCs, it's really 90s and I understand why someone would like them, so a good idea would be to take the case, build a normal pc inside of it and be done. This way you will not end up with a LOCKED OS and move on to free, beautiful alternatives such as, oh I don't know, Void.

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
move on to free, beautiful alternatives such as, oh I don't know, Void.
lmao

fuck off

Overpriced junk.

Enjpoy not being able to play just about anything because there isn't a Mac version.
I'm not interested in using this for gaming and besides you could just dual boot windows for the games that aren't supported

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
What was so bad about your experience?
Also did you use a modern iMac or something pre-2018.
An iMac G3 like the one in your picture.
It was as (if not even more) unstable as Windows ME but lacked all the software and games Windows had.
The puck mouse is shit, the keyboard is shit too and was expensive to replace. Simple hardware repairs like replacing its PSU is such a chore compared to a pc.

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
What's your issue with linux based distributions anyway?
As a desktop operating system GNU/Linux is at this point still just a hobbyist OS.
Wine is a very useful and wonderful tool, but it's stupid and garbage to have to emulate a program, there needs to be more native support for software.
Also the entire ecosystem is a clusterfuck and because of this GNU/Linux can never catch on as a mass-use operating system.
What I mean by the sentence above is that you have like a million different distributions and several different desktop environments, it's all very confusing and unnecessary plus very confusion, for example:

• what is the operating system I can point to
  • if an operating system is just an assortment of programs that are interchangeable with completely different projects (BSD) and configurations (distributions) then what IS the operating system I'm using and what really is and should an OS be in the first place.
It's a clusterfuck. I want to be able to look at an OS and say "That's Mac OS" not "That's gnome running on the linux kernel packaged by Ubuntu"

If the linux kernel is to ever become a real viable alternative to windows and mac os then there needs to be an actual operating system and not just some shitty group project by a bunch of shitskins or basement dwellers.

An iMac G3 like the one in your picture.
It was as (if not even more) unstable as Windows ME but lacked all the software and games Windows had.
The puck mouse is shit, the keyboard is shit too and was expensive to replace. Simple hardware repairs like replacing its PSU is such a chore compared to a pc.
Well then that's irrelevant to the thread
But anyways Mac always has been a niche OS centered around certain types of experiences, now days they're about content creation.
For me I plan on using my mac to make music and studying programming.

SkeletonBias420

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love the OS but their hardware is untenable. I had been using a Mac laptop/ PC desktop combo for a long time but I finally had to ditch it since Apple was getting obsessive with thinness and stripping ports from their pro laptops. I got a bulky PC gaming laptop for 1/4 the price of an equivalent Apple laptop that uses mostly desktop components I can easily service myself and it has a 17" screen.

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
I love the OS but their hardware is untenable. I had been using a Mac laptop/ PC desktop combo for a long time but I finally had to ditch it since Apple was getting obsessive with thinness and stripping ports from their pro laptops. I got a bulky PC gaming laptop for 1/4 the price of an equivalent Apple laptop that uses mostly desktop components I can easily service myself and it has a 17" screen.
The thunderbolt port is built to support enough bandwidth to handle plenty of devices.
The ports you're missing are for items that are going to be phased out anyways.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
Well then that's irrelevant to the thread
But anyways Mac always has been a niche OS centered around certain types of experiences, now days they're about content creation.
For me I plan on using my mac to make music and studying programming.
Programming for the 32 bit PowerPC? If you're serious you'd get a G5 which is almost identical to POWER4, which is fairly obsolete since IBM servers are now on the POWER9.

Edit: I thought you were getting the G3 for programming/music, never mind.

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net
I had a few Macs over the years- System 7 Performa was great at the time (mid 90s) and also an iMac (2nd model with the lamp type design) which I liked okay. Also had a first gen MacBook Pro which killed my enthusiasm for Apple.

Did most of my actual work on the computer using Windows XP through BootCamp. Only Apple software I used was iMovie and GarageBand. Also, every other year I had to replace a battery or charger because they literally melted. After the second one of each went FUBAR I decided to save my money and go back to PC 100%.

90's Apple hardware was competitive even if it was closed. Seriously though, there are decent music production suites on the PC. Apple is a status symbol, nothing more.

Doggo

Gone.
kiwifarms.net
I love my MacBook Pro. It’s the most reliable computer I’ve ever had. A 6 year old laptop being used as a desktop PC with three 1440p monitors dangling off it. It still keeps up with my workload like a fucking champ. Photography can get pretty tedious sometimes, and I need to dust the camera off again, but editing and cataloging on the Mac is an absolute breeze.

Yes the hardware is expensive but when you look at things like the SSD, it’s quite hard to get an SSD that is anywhere near as fast as what can be configured onboard the machine. It’s a massive pain in the arse to do it any cheaper, and while it’s faster, I’d rather have the storage internally. Which does make the hardware upgradeability really fucking annoying. I’m definitely not a fan and I don’t think anyone is.

I’m keen to see the Mac Pro and alleged 16” MacBook Pro, though. The hardware is exxy, but it’s been bulletproof. I’ve watched a few of Louis’ videos, and he’s probably the most biased motherfucker going. You hate Apple, Apple do shitty things, we get it. I’m biased, too, though - clearly.

But let’s not look at the plethora of other companies doing way shittier things. Huawei, anyone?

Reactions: quatchi55
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino