"Mad at the Internet" - a/k/a KF but with autistic narration

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
just get the audio feed bruh. I run those through a post processor to remove silence and normalize audio.
Ah again, and thanks again. When I saw the "To Listen" header with the different podcast hoster links under it, I didn't look further on the MATI site when there earlier. Generouser Josh!

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
If I may give Josh some context for why some of these surrogate fathers like Hunter S. Thompson from someone that isn’t Jace or Tommy Tooter.

Hunter S. Thompson was a journalist from the 70’s that made a name for himself by deliberately imbedding himself in situationss in order to better give context to his reporting. His main schtick was that he was a former hippy that kept the heavy drug use while dealing with the fact that the idiology underpinning that lifestyle was doomed.
They probably reference him because they don’t care to admit that Thompson was very much a product of his time or that his antics regularly caught up with him. The Hell’s Angels nearly killed him after he said the wrong thing to a member, his addictions were so out of control that for a long time that he would accept speaking gigs for a gallon of Wild Turkey and cocaine, and he eventually blew his brains out because he thought he’d lived too long and a life of heavy drug use had started to destroy him.

Find a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (film or book) if you was a good distilation of his thinking. The people referencing him pretend drugs and insanity make them brilliant instead of drugs and insanity giving a brilliant writer a very specific context.

Last edited:

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They probably reference him because they don’t care to admit that Thompson was very much a product of his time or that his antics regularly caught up with him. The Hell’s Angels nearly killed him after he said the wrong thing to a member,
That's not quite true. They thought he was making more from his Hell's Angels book than he really was, and felt like he needed an ass kicking. They stopped well before killing him because the leaders who were watching it declared enough was enough.

his addictions were so out of control for a long time that he would accept speaking gigs for a gallon of Wild Turkey and cocaine, and he eventually blew his brains out because he thought he’d lived too long and a life of heavy drug use had started to destroy him.

Find a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (film or book) if you was a good distilation of his thinking. The people referencing him prentend drugs and insanity make them brilliant instead of drugs and insanity giving a brilliant writer a very specific context.
They also buy the bullshit (partly spread by Thompson himself) that he really wrote that while completely blitzed out of his mind, when he actually spent a good deal of time thinking it out and writing it. His collected letters give a better idea of the man behind the beast. He was actually a quite thoughtful writer and a strong prose stylist. I think he decided he wanted to die like Hemingway but unfortunately he died like a bitch on the phone with his wife. That was a pretty shitty thing to do to her.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
That's not quite true. They thought he was making more from his Hell's Angels book than he really was, and felt like he needed an ass kicking. They stopped well before killing him because the leaders who were watching it declared enough was enough.

They also buy the bullshit (partly spread by Thompson himself) that he really wrote that while completely blitzed out of his mind, when he actually spent a good deal of time thinking it out and writing it. His collected letters give a better idea of the man behind the beast. He was actually a quite thoughtful writer and a strong prose stylist. I think he decided he wanted to die like Hemingway but unfortunately he died like a bitch on the phone with his wife. That was a pretty shitty thing to do to her.
I wasn't aware of her being on the line while he did it, but was aware of his well below par sports writing at the end of his life.

I think there's something else a bit more simple about why these bloggers cum streamers idolize HST: he was a rare example of the man being more famous and often more interesting than the writing and a surface impression is that he made a living by being a drunk, stoned, out of control asshole. Very worth noting that when Bill Murray played him and did the method acting thing, he nearly got fired from SNL because it turns out nobody likes being on the receiving end of that no matter how brilliant in your field you are

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net

Wasn't he terrible to the women he was involved with over the years?
Also, the whole andrenachrome meme started cuz of Fear and Loathing

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Wasn't he terrible to the women he was involved with over the years?
Also, the whole andrenachrome meme started cuz of Fear and Loathing
He was a complete asshole to 99.9% of every human he interacted with. To the point of shooting at neighbors and randos. His political opinions were self-contradictory and self-destructive.
Such is the way of the genius. I do not use that term flippantly.
When the 'adrenachrome thing' started I was SO confused, wondering how all these Alex Jones types started reading Thompson.

I'm still confused, tbh. Either Thompson made a time-bomb meme that detonated 47+ years later, or he stumbled upon a substance that really was being produced by dubious means.

Both, neither, all are probable. Again, such is the way of the genius.

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
He was a complete asshole to 99.9% of every human he interacted with. To the point of shooting at neighbors and randos. His political opinions were self-contradictory and self-destructive.
Such is the way of the genius. I do not use that term flippantly.
When the 'adrenachrome thing' started I was SO confused, wondering how all these Alex Jones types started reading Thompson.

I'm still confused, tbh. Either Thompson made a time-bomb meme that detonated 47+ years later, or he stumbled upon a substance that really was being produced by dubious means.

Both, neither, all are probable. Again, such is the way of the genius.
I think it's just that Thompson was promoted as the top counter-cultural author, and had his 'cool rebel' mystique promoted well past what should've been it's normal length. There's fringe degenerates of every variety that probably hero-worshipped him at one point or another

• Agree
Reactions: beautiful person

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I think it's just that Thompson was promoted as the top counter-cultural author, and had his 'cool rebel' mystique promoted well past what should've been it's normal length. There's fringe degenerates of every variety that probably hero-worshipped him at one point or another
I just realized the Johnny Depp movie also exists...
None of the tards read, but they probably saw the movie. TBH - I think that's how it started.

• Agree
Reactions: tantric_depressive

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
To me, the 25th anniversary CD audio is probably the best adaptation of the book, although I wish they made a longer version of it since the CD runs about at 75 minutes. It’s a lot less dark and bleak than the Johnny Depp version. Harry Dean Stanton narrates and the voice talents of Jim Jarmusch, Maury ChayKin, Harry Shearer, Laurie Metcalfe, Joan Cusack and Buck Henry.

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
Very late but wanted to say @Null you were pretty off base with Jim, you said he still lives in Mississippi but he left to go live with his editor Justin in Philly months ago. Its assumed he has left his hambeast wife and wifes son in Mississippi since he has not talked about them in ages and I doubt they would leave their suburban house to live in a Philly 2 bedroom townhouse.

He left to do stuff with a wrestling org who had to stop due to covid and also got cancelled over "mis conduct". I have lots to talk about with his drastic shift towards wrestling and was a fan for such a long time.

If you ever need a jim-correspondent feel free to reach out to me.

Also.... any hint on your next subject for Mati?