Celebrity Madonna - elderly woman mired in existential crisis.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Not sex symbols but does a woman really want to be at 60?
Reminds me of Pauley Shore saying that he wished he was still in his 20's, weeeeeeasel, he was just a comedian that did movies and regrets getting old and ugly.
He tries to cope with that. Madonna can still make music but so much about her as a celebrity, icon and artist wasn't about the music, there was always the visual artistry of Madonna in videos, photos, concerts and so on. For someone like her that traded on looks for money and attention for so long that must be devastating.

DelicateMageflower

It's Algonquin for bloodsport.
kiwifarms.net
Reminds me of Pauley Shore saying that he wished he was still in his 20's, weeeeeeasel, he was just a comedian that did movies and regrets getting old and ugly.
He tries to cope with that. Madonna can still make music but so much about her as a celebrity, icon and artist wasn't about the music, there was always the visual artistry of Madonna in videos, photos, concerts and so on. For someone like her that traded on looks for money and attention for so long that must be devastating.
With Madonna, her career has been predominantly based around sex and her sexuality, and it was never subtle. You were basically bludgeoned with sexual imagery, no matter what persona she happened to be trying on at each stage in her career. The music was secondary, it was more about creating controversy which generated obscene amounts of cash. She's been nothing if not incredibly shrewd in that respect.

Problem is, there isn't enough substance to really allow her to move gracefully into being older and evolving into a respectable career like Streisand or Dolly Parton or even Celine Dion. Madonna is an average singer at best; her shows were always about spectacle as opposed to showcasing her music.

All she knows is basing her career around being overly sexual, and now that shes in her 60s, people ain't buying it. That has to be a huge blow to her quite elephantine ego.

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With Madonna, her career has been predominantly based around sex and her sexuality, and it was never subtle. You were basically bludgeoned with sexual imagery, no matter what persona she happened to be trying on at each stage in her career. The music was secondary, it was more about creating controversy which generated obscene amounts of cash. She's been nothing if not incredibly shrewd in that respect.

Problem is, there isn't enough substance to really allow her to move gracefully into being older and evolving into a respectable career like Streisand or Dolly Parton or even Celine Dion. Madonna is an average singer at best; her shows were always about spectacle as opposed to showcasing her music.

All she knows is basing her career around being overly sexual, and now that shes in her 60s, people ain't buying it. That has to be a huge blow to her quite elephantine ego.
Weirdly enough Celine Dion, who was never a beauty or sex pot, has become the post-50 style maven the fashion world is in a tizzy over. Celine is very thin, but now wears haute couture everywhere she goes. She‘s bringing back fashion that’s not about showing skin but great lines and tailoring. (like they did from 1920s to 1960’s)

Ive never cared for her music or paid much attention to her but noticed the past year the fashion press being smitten with her. She’s a class act compared to Madge.

MistressCaridad

Got my "PoC Card" Revoked
kiwifarms.net
I know the pressure to not age must be intense for a former pop star, but she actually had three choices: age naturally, go way overboard and look like a wax figure (which she’s done), or do minor tweaks to keep her aging but glowing. A bit of filler, a bit of botox and a lot of skincare and lasers wont stop time but it can make you look good for your age. In these days of new beauty it may not always be necessary.
I think someone mentioned Christie Brinkley earlier in the thread, but she’s a prime example of number three. She’s had work done for sure but it’s still fairly subtle and doesn’t make her look like a poorly made sex doll.

Also, I figured out who Madonna has been reminding me of lately and why I find her especially creepy and unsettling.

DA3A4CA7-DDF5-4BC0-BFDC-33989D82683B.jpeg

For The Internet

Tits and ALL
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think someone mentioned Christie Brinkley earlier in the thread, but she’s a prime example of number three. She’s had work done for sure but it’s still fairly subtle and doesn’t make her look like a poorly made sex doll.

Also, I figured out who Madonna has been reminding me of lately and why I find her especially creepy and unsettling.

View attachment 1214663
Dude, you just did Bette Davis dirty,

I'm glad this scary elderly lady isn't going around showing her ass cheeks on the red carpet right now. I will give her that.

For The Internet

Tits and ALL
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, good point. Bette was damn talented and really deserved an Oscar for that role.

Madge is... well, she’s... um..........
She really did deserve that Oscar.

I mean, Madge has been in such scintilting screen performances as... um... Desperately Seeking Susan. And, er, Shanghai Surprise. The good films she's been involved in like A League of their Own and Dick Tracey were good in spite of her, not because of her. Evita was just... woof. Eva Peron didn't even know she had cervical cancer because her husband and doctors lied so as not to make him look 'weak' since Eva was Juan's secret weapon. She didn't have the chops for that role but that's just my opinion.

Cheesegirl78

"I want to f**k you sex sex sex"
kiwifarms.net
Madonna was PERFECT in Desperately Seeking Susan.
A quirky, New Wave movie she was made for.

And she does better in ensemble movies, like A League of Their Own. She cannot carry a movie by herself.
Swept Away was awful, and Body of Evidence gave me second-hand embarrassment.

I wish she could accept she's getting older and realize she's not a sex goddess now.

She should look to Helen Mirren. Older than Madonna, but classic and beautiful. Has anyone seen the pictures of her in that red bikini? Sexy but she always looks like a lady.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
She really did deserve that Oscar.

I mean, Madge has been in such scintilting screen performances as... um... Desperately Seeking Susan. And, er, Shanghai Surprise. The good films she's been involved in like A League of their Own and Dick Tracey were good in spite of her, not because of her. Evita was just... woof. Eva Peron didn't even know she had cervical cancer because her husband and doctors lied so as not to make him look 'weak' since Eva was Juan's secret weapon. She didn't have the chops for that role but that's just my opinion.
Shanghai Surprise was the film she made with her then husband Sean Penn, right? All I remember about that is the story that went around when she filed for divorce. She claimed Sean trussed her up like a turkey and then just walked away for several hours. It was probably an hour but she made it sound like he beat her and tied her up, leaving her for dead when it was probably a BDSM thing she insisted on and he decided he had enough of her crazy and left.

Cheesegirl78

"I want to f**k you sex sex sex"
kiwifarms.net
Shanghai Surprise was the film she made with her then husband Sean Penn, right? All I remember about that is the story that went around when she filed for divorce. She claimed Sean trussed her up like a turkey and then just walked away for several hours. It was probably an hour but she made it sound like he beat her and tied her up, leaving her for dead when it was probably a BDSM thing she insisted on and he decided he had enough of her crazy and left.
She claimed Sean was physically abusive, and I didn't think she was lying. Sean Penn was ALWAYS punching someone in the 80s/90s, he did time in the L.A. county jail, and was across the hall from Richard Ramirez.

She was badly hurt while she was married to Guy Ritchie, it was claimed she was thrown from a horse, but the rumor going around was GR beat the crap out of her. Don't know how true that is, I've never heard of him abusing any of his other partners. They did split not long after that, so who knows.

And I hate that I'm full of useless trivia about Madonna and others.

Crass_and_Champ

esteemed Austrian botanist Hermut Krebs
kiwifarms.net
I have great respect for Loreena Mckennitt in that regard.
If someone said "this is my mom/grandma, she's 63 years old" you would go alright that checks out.
View attachment 1213012

The woman above is also a multi-platinum selling artist working since the 80's that never tried to trade on sex appeal.
View attachment 1213022

Now she's just happy grandma with an accordion and crows feet, it warms my heart to see an aging female musician that isn't trying to be something they're not, instead of that futile struggle they're just happy. She didn't get any surgery to change her appearance, she didn't even change her hair cut in the last 40 years(I think she's self-conscious about her ears, that can be fixed with plastic surgery, but she didn't do it).
View attachment 1213025
God DAMN this woman kicks ass.
"The Highwayman" wouldn't be half as memorable if she hadn't set it to music. Didn't realize she was a veteran (?) too.

Barbarella

Guards! To the Mathmos with this winged fruitcake.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Madonna was called the queen of reinvention. She charged her image many times as time passed. Yes, there was always a heavily sexual influence in each incarnation. But she failed to look ahead and consider how to reinvent herself as she aged.

Her fans would be fans, always. She couldn’t be a Streisand style diva and wear a pretty gown in front of a microphone and sing. (Like Celine) But she could still be on stage, with her big sets and people dancing behind her and have a career. Maybe rolling around singing Like a Virgin is out-for her-but she could have incorporated it in some other way with some other performer. She just could not let go of being young, and is the reinvention that everybody could see coming except her.

Celine is a style icon now and has been for a number of years. I haven’t followed her singing career and don’t know if her voice stands up, but despite being a plain woman, she has a love for beautiful stylish clothes, and she wears them, they don’t wear her. I think it’s within keeping with her persona though, she was always a classy woman with a beautiful voice.

It’d be nice to see Madonna drop the gothic-religious iconography type/ leather bondage/rebellious teen look shes had for years and reinvent some class into her wardrobe but that won’t happen.

I think there is a way she can continue her career without destroying her face. It’s sad she doesn’t see a way.

Many fade away and retire, and enjoy their wealth but she seems incapable.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
She mentions how much of her quarantine days have been spent recovering from an injury. Does anyone know what she's talking about?
Positron called it, it's the same knee injury from a year ago. Now she's just being stupid by continuing to perform, it's only going to hurt her more and her body at her age is not going to heal as fast as a 20-something. I'm almost afraid she's going to permanently make herself lame by fucking around on that leg.
I hate the way she posts about it though, she is definitely playing up the suffering martyr image and being fake deep about it when the injury is her own fault and she has all the power to take a break if she wanted to. I think the only thing 'forcing' her to perform is her own fear of disappearing from the public eye.

If she suddenly gained self awareness and still wanted to keep the sexy image do you guys think she could pull off being a slightly satirical GILF? Like stop fighting the wrinkles and play up being a 600 year old sex vampire who's crazy-fun when she cannibalizes younger stars? Her natural speaking voice is so low and husky, I wonder if she could sing like that instead and stop doing the weird baby voice thing like Britney did.

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She claimed Sean was physically abusive, and I didn't think she was lying. Sean Penn was ALWAYS punching someone in the 80s/90s, he did time in the L.A. county jail, and was across the hall from Richard Ramirez.

She was badly hurt while she was married to Guy Ritchie, it was claimed she was thrown from a horse, but the rumor going around was GR beat the crap out of her. Don't know how true that is, I've never heard of him abusing any of his other partners. They did split not long after that, so who knows.

And I hate that I'm full of useless trivia about Madonna and others.
Given some things known about Madonna she seems the type that likes to goad men into rages for the drama. Some women have a weird idea that a guy really loves/is passionate if he smacks you around, I can see her being that type behind closed doors. I also think she feeds off the high drama of fights (like Liz Taylor) and even usually non-violent men can be pushed over the edge by women who are determined to instigate physical conflict.

Madonna was raised in an big catholic family, her mother died when she was five and her dad married the housekeeper. So she was fighting for attention in a big family and her dad probably paid more attention to the housekeeper he was banging than any of the kids. It’s clear that acting out and acting slutty was one of the few ways she’s got Dad’s undivided attention, but it was the angry type of attention. Seems she’s tried to repeat that behavior pattern in most of her relationships.

I think Warren Beatty was one of the men it didn’t work on at all and it drove her nuts. I don’t think WB was capable of being a angry jealous guy after two decades of thousands banging starlets.

DelicateMageflower

It's Algonquin for bloodsport.
kiwifarms.net
I think Warren Beatty was one of the men it didn’t work on at all and it drove her nuts. I don’t think WB was capable of being a angry jealous guy after two decades of thousands banging starlets.
I remember watching the Truth or Dare documentary, and Beatty seemed to develop a palpable contempt towards her quite fast. If memory serves, I think he hooked up with Annette Bening not long after.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I have great respect for Loreena Mckennitt in that regard.
If someone said "this is my mom/grandma, she's 63 years old" you would go alright that checks out.
View attachment 1213012

The woman above is also a multi-platinum selling artist working since the 80's that never tried to trade on sex appeal.
View attachment 1213022

Now she's just happy grandma with an accordion and crows feet, it warms my heart to see an aging female musician that isn't trying to be something they're not, instead of that futile struggle they're just happy. She didn't get any surgery to change her appearance, she didn't even change her hair cut in the last 40 years(I think she's self-conscious about her ears, that can be fixed with plastic surgery, but she didn't do it).
View attachment 1213025
Loreena Mckennitt is a goddess. She especially looks beautiful in that last picture. Aging gracefully looks better, y'all.

Also, yeah. Sycophantic Madonna fans can call all of the jokes about her "ageist" all they want, however, none of those jokes would be made if she wasn't so desperately trying to hang onto her youth (both in her physical appearance and her antics).

Very few things are more pathetic than a person completely in denial about their age.