Off-Topic Makeup! Clothes! "Girly stuff" thread -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

SAVE TWINKIE!

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Assuming they're not absurdly long, you get used to it pretty quickly. And to take them off you just soak in pure acetone and they'll come off. I don't know why the real fingernail would come off that sounds like some kind of freak accident.

That being said they're bad for your nails and I don't get them anymore uwu

Reactions: snailslime

Free Pancakes

kiwifarms.net
Press on nails have made huge strides in the last several years if you use actual glue instead of the sticky tabs. If you wanted to test drive long nails before committing yourself to acrylics that's an easy way to do it. Glue them on over a layer of nude nail polish and they're easier to remove and less damaging.

Or just skip the acrylics and go press ons. As mentioned above acrylics are awful for your nails.

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
how do you even do anything with acrylics on? they feel so weird on my fingers. i was also browsing r/hadtohurt and saw some pretty scary pics of acrylics being ripped off along with the actual nail. i love how acrylics look but i'm scared to get them
I've been getting acrylics on since April, I've bitten my nails down to a nub for well over two decades and nothing ever helped. At the time, I worked somewhere where beauty and appearance mattered a lot, so I started getting them done (plus Mr. Polexio discovered that he had a thing for me getting my nails done, heh)

I started with short ones. Like, regular-nail length ones. Then as they grew out and needed to be "filled", I would opt to not get them cut down. That way it was a slow transition process.

Eventually I started getting them longer and longer, but the longer they get the more likely I am to break them. My last ones were really long, and while it was really fun and I liked gesturing dramatically, I got a new job where I have to do a lot of typing and I couldn't type as well with those on. So now I'm back to a short-medium length again. I've had oval and coffin shape, and now they're square- because my nail lady was having a bad day and fucked up, but they look ok. Oval was my starter shape.

I did break one off once when I closed my car door and it got stuck in the handle. Just cracked the nail in half, and my real nail under it split in half too. I was able to pry off the rest of the acrylic nail, it did hurt but it's nothing like torture. My finger was a little sore for a bit.

edit: when I say split in half, I mean horizontally; all the nail past my fingertip got broken off.

My real nails are so damaged and fragile from years of abuse, I've given up on them. Yo ho yo ho, acrylic life for me.

Trusty Patches

Are you a cleric or something?
kiwifarms.net
I’ve been trying to get better at using makeup. I have eyeshadow primer and some new eyeshadow from Colorpop. Does anyone here have good tips on how to apply eyeshadow better?
Blend blend blend babygirl. As long as you don't have any harsh lines no one's gonna be looking at you like wtf is going on there.
And always better not pick up too much colour on your brush and to go in with a light hand and build up colour gradient. Layer it up.
Usually easier to start with a really light transition colour and then intensify the closer you get to your crease but you could also try the Instagram method of cutting your crease with a dark colour on a smudger brush and then blend it out with lighter colours.
Brushes are just as important as the product - invest in some good floofy brushes for blending, and flat synthetics for cutting your crease and for shiny lid colours.

Sorry if any of this is well obvious advice idk how much you know about this stuff.

StrawberryDouche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Blend blend blend babygirl. As long as you don't have any harsh lines no one's gonna be looking at you like wtf is going on there.
And always better not pick up too much colour on your brush and to go in with a light hand and build up colour gradient. Layer it up.
Usually easier to start with a really light transition colour and then intensify the closer you get to your crease but you could also try the Instagram method of cutting your crease with a dark colour on a smudger brush and then blend it out with lighter colours.
Brushes are just as important as the product - invest in some good floofy brushes for blending, and flat synthetics for cutting your crease and for shiny lid colours.

Sorry if any of this is well obvious advice idk how much you know about this stuff.
This is a very helpful blending tutorial. This woman has a lovely speaking voice is very pleasant to listen to.

@JambledUpWords

Last edited:

SAVE TWINKIE!

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@JambledUpWords you should also learn what shape/type of eyes/lids you have. There are youtube videos and general internet articles and infographics that can help you figure this out. Then you can try to copy looks from influencers that have similar eyes to you, focusing on placement, ie, how far up to take this shade, how far out to blend that shade, etc.. You can learn a lot about placement etc. from copying influencer techniques, even if their makeup is way heavier than you'd wear in everyday life. It's still a good way to learn what types of looks are most flattering on you.

Take pictures of yourself. You can look back on them and see how to improve.

NarutoYaoi

I've never seen naruto
kiwifarms.net
Hey ladies! How are colourpops pressed glitter shadows? I got a family member to get me the "Thrill of It" Pallet - I partake in Rocky Horror monthly, so I'm hoping it'll add to the bold looks I dream to achieve.

DelicateMageflower

It's Algonquin for bloodsport.
kiwifarms.net
Hey ladies! How are colourpops pressed glitter shadows? I got a family member to get me the "Thrill of It" Pallet - I partake in Rocky Horror monthly, so I'm hoping it'll add to the bold looks I dream to achieve.
They're good, but make sure to use a sticky base. Some of them are designed more to be glitter toppers for other shadows, so they might not be very opaque.

NarutoYaoi

I've never seen naruto
kiwifarms.net
Awesome! I'm gonna end up ordering some of their super shock shadow after Christmas as well. I'm not the best at applying it (learning everyday) - but luckily Rocky embraces that hot mess quality I often end up with.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I have mixed feelings about the pressed glitter eyeshadows. They are not exactly eye safe ... But they are absolutely gorgeous. As tempting as they are, I have refrained from using them on my eyelids so far, but plenty of people do it with no problems.

Just make sure to do these things before you use them:

1. Glitter glue is a must-- for practical reasons and for your safety/eye health. You don't want plastic chunks of glitter to fall out and get into your eyes.

2. Use a limited amount. Even with glitter glue, if you pack too much on, some of it will fall out. This is why I think they work best as eyeshadow toppers rather than eyeshadows that can stand on their own.

For something like Rocky Horror, you could go more avant garde with your makeup and use the pressed glitter shadows as a highlighter (or even on your bottom lash/under eye area). Glittery/unconventional highlighter is pretty "in" right now. Just a suggestion, in case that option sounded interesting for you.

NarutoYaoi

I've never seen naruto
kiwifarms.net
I have mixed feelings about the pressed glitter eyeshadows. They are not exactly eye safe ... But they are absolutely gorgeous. As tempting as they are, I have refrained from using them on my eyelids so far, but plenty of people do it with no problems. ...
Thank you so much! When I do makeup its pretty much only for rocky. This is all very important and interesting - plus I dislike watching video tutorials and prefer asking advice from people.
I've been doing my makeup for years but this is the first time I'll be putting actual glitter near my eyes. I'll be sure to be extra safe

Last edited:

SPX5kzy

Crude, but effective.
kiwifarms.net
I've been getting acrylics on since April, I've bitten my nails down to a nub for well over two decades and nothing ever helped.My real nails are so damaged and fragile from years of abuse, I've given up on them. Yo ho yo ho, acrylic life for me.
If you have stopped chewing (I get it, I used to destroy my nails) and you ever want to go natural for whatever reason (cost alone?) I seriously, seriously recommend OPI Nail Envy . This shit is miraculous. It’s cheapest to buy off Ebay. I started using it a few years ago and never looked back. Your nails are thin/peeling/break? Nail Envy. I work in a job where I use my hands a lot + do creative stuff and I have no problems growing my nails out well past the tip of my fingers.

If you wanted to come off of acrylics I would buy some nice glue on nails at the drug store, paint the nail envy on the nail and put the nails over that. Rinse n repeat until your nails are long enough to have the manicure place give you a nice polish manicure.

For long nails the formula is OPI Nail envy+ crystal/glass nail file + moisturizer. I use rosehip or argon oil usually. I also love Seche Vite quick dry top coat. I’m inpatient and clumsy so I hate waiting for polish to dry. With this stuff I can touch the polish without an imprint in literally 5 minutes. Amazing.

Last edited:

melty

Proudly sponsored by Mike Bloomberg for president
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I also bite my nails. Does anyone have an opinion on shellac? A nail shop opened by my work that's really convenient, but they don't offer acrylic nails, only shellac.

Life Action Horse

Not affiliated with live action cow
kiwifarms.net
Hey gals, I've finally caved in and got me the praised Estee Lauder double wear foundation. Since I have no place around to try the shades I just ordered online.. I lucked out and it's a match made in heaven (badum-tss). I feel like I found my holy grail foundation. So far it hasn't set into my lines at all. :lol:
Next I wanna step up my eyeshadow game which low key sucks due to my weird eye shape. Do you have any inspiration for hooded eye looks? I'm always too chicken to go way up to my eyebrows. :|

Cool Dude 69

kiwifarms.net
I also bite my nails. Does anyone have an opinion on shellac? A nail shop opened by my work that's really convenient, but they don't offer acrylic nails, only shellac.
If your nail biting habit is bad, I wouldnt mess with shellac or acrylics or anything you have to pay more than 40 bucks for. If only for the fact that the processes in and of themselves aren't ever necessarily "good" for your nails. And having crappy nails, honestly makes any type of manicure wear worse.
Its a crappy stop-gap that can fuel bad nailcare habits unless you can find the most competent tech, and never break or chip your manicure.

• Informative
Reactions: melty

WeDon'tNeedToWhisper

Reservation for one at Yamatos
kiwifarms.net
I get shellac and I really like it. I prefer the appearance of a more natural nail shape but with the strength of acrylic. I don't bite my nails but I do wash my hands a lot and the color doesn't chip easily. Hope that helps :/

Tags
None