Off-Topic Makeup! Clothes! "Girly stuff" thread -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I think I speak for everyone here when I say SHOW US THAT HAT! (Soz if you already did, guess I musta missed it)
It's an actual vintage hat I found on Etsy, so I've avoided posting much info about it in order to avoid powerleveling, but I just took a picture! I think the hat really shines when it's actually being worn, but I'm obviously not going to take a picture of myself to post on here, haha.

image1 (1).jpeg

There's very minor wear to it, so don't mind some of the marks. Thought it was in really good condition considering it's over 60 years old at this point. And when I wore this throughout the holidays, I added some festive hair clips/fascinators that I made to it (holly, berries, etc). It's surprisingly a versatile hat!

Trusty Patches

Are you a cleric or something?
kiwifarms.net
It's an actual vintage hat I found on Etsy, so I've avoided posting much info about it in order to avoid powerleveling, but I just took a picture! I think the hat really shines when it's actually being worn, but I'm obviously not going to take a picture of myself to post on here, haha.

View attachment 1084385

There's very minor wear to it, so don't mind some of the marks. Thought it was in really good condition considering it's over 60 years old at this point. And when I wore this throughout the holidays, I added some festive hair clips/fascinators that I made to it (holly, berries, etc). It's surprisingly a versatile hat!
So friggin cute omg I am in love with this!!!!!!! What do you usually wear it with? I imagine you gotta have a vintage coat/dress, it'd look kinda confusing with Adidas trackies and a woolly jumper. Looks like it's really well made as well. I've been getting into millinery lately so this is basically the goal! Thanks for sharing <3

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
So friggin cute omg I am in love with this!!!!!!! What do you usually wear it with? I imagine you gotta have a vintage coat/dress, it'd look kinda confusing with Adidas trackies and a woolly jumper. Looks like it's really well made as well. I've been getting into millinery lately so this is basically the goal! Thanks for sharing <3
Thank you so much! :feels:

Over the past 3 years, my style has gone through a bit of a transformation. I've always had an affinity for vintage/retro style clothing (especially the 1940s and 1950s eras), but I didn't have the courage to actually be fully immersed into styling myself that way until I hit my 30's a few years ago, when I started caring way less about what other people might think. Pretty much every dress I own these days are either vintage or vintage reproduction, and I have plenty of green dresses in particular (it's "my color" when it comes to clothing, haha). I'm still building up some of my wardrobe little by little.

Right now, I have 3 long coats: a standard tan trenchcoat, a long light blue peacoat, and a long light pink peacoat. I think those coats give enough of a "vintage style" vibe, but I definitely want to get myself an actual "Princess Coat" at some point. I was tempted to get one for myself with Collectif having their 50% off Winter sale right now, but I'm holding myself back for one more Winter (as this past Fall and Holiday season ended up being more expensive than I had expected; just being smart with my money).

Don't get me wrong, I still love me some athletic wear and comfy stuff and I definitely rock those when I'm running errands and have things to do ... But I typically gussy up when going out for stuff like date night or other social events ... And I have a lot of fun styling myself that way.

And, fun fact: It is my style goal in life to be able to have a dress exactly like Ann Miller's "Prehistoric Man" dress from On the Town, haha.

Trusty Patches

kiwifarms.net
Thank you so much! :feels:

Over the past 3 years, my style has gone through a bit of a transformation. I've always had an affinity for vintage/retro style clothing (especially the 1940s and 1950s eras), but I didn't have the courage to actually be fully immersed into styling myself that way until I hit my 30's a few years ago, when I started caring way less about what other people might think. Pretty much every dress I own these days are either vintage or vintage reproduction, and I have plenty of green dresses in particular (it's "my color" when it comes to clothing, haha). I'm still building up some of my wardrobe little by little.

Right now, I have 3 long coats: a standard tan trenchcoat, a long light blue peacoat, and a long light pink peacoat. I think those coats give enough of a "vintage style" vibe, but I definitely want to get myself an actual "Princess Coat" at some point. I was tempted to get one for myself with Collectif having their 50% off Winter sale right now, but I'm holding myself back for one more Winter (as this past Fall and Holiday season ended up being more expensive than I had expected; just being smart with my money).

Don't get me wrong, I still love me some athletic wear and comfy stuff and I definitely rock those when I'm running errands and have things to do ... But I typically gussy up when going out for stuff like date night or other social events ... And I have a lot of fun styling myself that way.

And, fun fact: It is my style goal in life to be able to have a dress exactly like Ann Miller's "Prehistoric Man" dress from On the Town, haha.

It's such a gorgeous shade of green, reminds me of these beetle wings I got for jewelry making! You should get some beetle wing earrings to match :3 Can you do the vintage hair as well? If so BIG respect bc I swear it's so difficult D; I can never make it look right

Speaking of vintage-esque coats you just reminded me of this super cute Trixie coat from Hell Bunny. Usually their stuff is that trashy vintage-lite shit with skulls and roses print that chonky ladies love but this coat is so clean and simple but so effective, I can't be mad at it:

94734272d9f5174844bd9881dbcb5760.jpg

50s movie fashion is the best fashion. My favourite piece ever is this corset from Calamity Jane. I would kill just to get a closer look...

IMG_20200106_021443.jpg

Edit: typo

Last edited:

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
It's such a gorgeous shade of green, reminds me of these beetle wings I got for jewelry making! You should get some beetle wing earrings to match :3 Can you do the vintage hair as well? If so BIG respect bc I swear it's so difficult D; I can never make it look right

Speaking of vintage-esque coats you just reminded me of this super cute Trixie coat from Hell Bunny. Usually their stuff is that trashy vintage-lite shit with skulls and roses print that chonky ladies love but this coat is so clean and simple but so effective, I can't be mad at it:

View attachment 1084657

50s movie fashion is the best fashion. My favourite piece ever is this corset from Calamity Jane. I would kill just to get a closer look...

View attachment 1084665

Edit: typo
Vintage hair is SO difficult! I've done a lot of trial and error over the past two and a half years. I can finally do halfway decent victory rolls ... But curling my hair properly has been my biggest obstacle! The best results I've gotten have been either using a curling wand (and then brushing it out with a wide tooth comb), or using pillow rollers for an overnight "wet set." Heated curlers simply don't last for me, pin curls are too much of a hassle for me to even bother trying, and regular rollers give me different results every time (so they're too unpredictable for me to feel confident doing for a special occasion or something).

My favorite method of curling my hair has honestly been the curling wand, and that's mostly because a lot of the time I am too lazy to do rollers in my hair before going to bed. The curling wand doesn't give me the most authentic vintage style, but for me, it's in the "good enough" category. For when I want to doll up but don't have the time or energy to curl my hair, though, I do either a "Gibson Roll" or break out a colorful hair snood to tuck my uncurled hair in.

Pro-tip: I've found that victory rolls are infinitely easier to do after you've curled your hair. The rolls just "naturally" form themselves as you're doing the rolls.

Some of my favorite hair products to use for styling vintage hair have been the Suavecita Pomade and Styling Spray (they smell really nice, btw), and the Kenra hairspray and heat-protectant styling spray.

Also ... That coat is really cute! I have a love-hate relationship with Hell Bunny. I think that some of their stuff is great, but then a majority of their stuff is so tacky (like you stated). Last year, I did a trip to Disneyland during the Dapper Day Expo and bought a Hell Bunny swing dress that's blue, green, and black plaid. It's a wonderful dress (it's one of the dresses I wore with my green pillbox hat, actually!). I also really like Hell Bunny's petticoats (they're wonderful quality for the price point). Every so often they release a gem with clothes, but I overlook most of it because the prints look so cartoon-y and clownish to me. It's a shame, because I think the quality is totally there ... It's just that most of their stuff looks ugly and juvenile to me. Regardless, I check the site every so often on the chance that I do find something I love, though.

Ugh. That corset is so gorgeous. Old Hollywood is what I grew up on, and there's no doubt in my mind that growing up on these movies may have been the key factor in my love for vintage fashion. I've always been in awe at how beautiful and glamorous the actresses were back then.

JambledUpWords

Y’all are attracted to me, lez be real here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I ordered these things from the Australian company Erstwilder:
44CED457-0285-4EF2-8C13-00A8541C4263.jpegA1800DFA-487B-4360-A43E-F4966705D6CD.jpeg12A15A0A-CAAF-4182-874A-B644C4093C68.jpeg72DC5F86-3EBC-46E8-9449-875807A8D576.jpeg
Right now, if you sign up for emails, you get a 20% off code. Also, due to the bush fire, 100% of the purchases will go towards relief in Australia (for a limited time). On top of that, $1 from every brooch purchased will go towards relief until the end of 2020. Sadly, if you’re not in Australia, you don’t get free shipping unless you spend $100 or more.

soryu

Jerry Mouse
kiwifarms.net
I've had quite an issue with my hair and the way it forms. I tend to have an issue tucking my hair behind my ears and it makes a permanent crease until the next time I wash my hair.
I've tried straightening my hair in between washes and it just makes the hair stick outward. It's as if I created a cowlick over the years.
I've been wanting to cut my hair into a short bob, just at the shoulders, but I instantly remembered last time my hair was that short, the hair at my ears almost gave the illusion of me wearing a chinstrap. Another thing, my hair is wavier on the right, so that side the crease is more prominent and it just overall looks lopsided.
Maybe I need to start curling my hair, or start the curly girl method? I think there's some potential I can gain from this.

StrawberryDouche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've had quite an issue with my hair and the way it forms. I tend to have an issue tucking my hair behind my ears and it makes a permanent crease until the next time I wash my hair.
I've tried straightening my hair in between washes and it just makes the hair stick outward. It's as if I created a cowlick over the years.
I've been wanting to cut my hair into a short bob, just at the shoulders, but I instantly remembered last time my hair was that short, the hair at my ears almost gave the illusion of me wearing a chinstrap. Another thing, my hair is wavier on the right, so that side the crease is more prominent and it just overall looks lopsided.
Maybe I need to start curling my hair, or start the curly girl method? I think there's some potential I can gain from this.
I've had great success with the curly girl method. Try it. All you need is a wide toothed comb for your conditioner and a tshirt or microfiber towel. You have nothing to lose. Plop that hair, girl!

Trusty Patches

kiwifarms.net
A while back I asked you guys to help me choose the fabric for a winter cape. I finished that and did a white satin corset to go with it. Gonna probably embellish the shit out of it with rose gold stuff..
Decided to make a maxi skirt to go with it, got this sheer sequin rose gold fabric for an overlay & I got some rose gold satin for the lining. It arrived but now I'm not sure, do you guys think it would be better with white satin instead?

IMG_20200123_164656.jpg
IMG_20200123_103758.jpg

IMG_20200123_172611.jpg

StrawberryDouche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A while back I asked you guys to help me choose the fabric for a winter cape. I finished that and did a white satin corset to go with it. Gonna probably embellish the shit out of it with rose gold stuff..
Decided to make a maxi skirt to go with it, got this sheer sequin rose gold fabric for an overlay & I got some rose gold satin for the lining. It arrived but now I'm not sure, do you guys think it would be better with white satin instead?

You went with the midnight blue! It's fabulous! I am a fanatic for sheer overlays. What color will the skirt itself be? I think over a white skirt, that overlay would be to die for.

eta: ooo a light green satin skirt with that pink overlay would be divine.

Last edited:

Trusty Patches

kiwifarms.net
You went with the midnight blue! It's fabulous! I am a fanatic for sheer overlays. What color will the skirt itself be? I think over a white skirt, that overlay would be to die for.

eta: ooo a light green satin skirt with that pink overlay would be divine.
Awww hell yeeee thank you! I kinda wanna wear it all the time, makes me feel like a mage with the pointy hood. I also decided I agree on the white satin, it'll pull the whole look together, the pink satin lining is just too different from the corset and cape.
I do love a good mint green & pink combo tho......... should have enough left to make a mini dress like that out of this fabric or something

JambledUpWords

Y’all are attracted to me, lez be real here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bringing a new topic into discussion: What is everyone's favorite "classic" hair color/hair style?
I'm personally in love with the Champagne Blonde/Golden Blonde and the introduction of Manic Panic in the 1970s. I'm also kind of a sucker for the feathered haircut. :suffering:
These are some of my favorite hairstyles:
DC290743-8AFE-4D5A-B8E7-83EB3B057CAE.jpeg
The finger curls from the 1920s have always looked nice to me.
EE39053A-AC95-4D76-B56C-D46675F437CC.jpeg
It’s because of this hairstyle that I get tempted to cut my hair shorter and learn to curl hair better.
36F17F7B-CBF3-4C73-A15E-2D87B16EEC37.jpeg
I love this Jasmine inspired look. It’s also nice for keeping hair out of your face. I’ve kept my hair long because I love these kinds of hairstyles.

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
It's not "classic" but it came back in style. I've been sporting a long shag like this pic for a couple of years now. My hair is fine and pretty thin so it helps me get more volume and texture and works well with my natural semi-curls, plus I am hippie trash so it matches the rest of my style.

Then, two days ago, I went to the same lady who had cut my hair perfectly twice in a row, and she completely fucked up my hair. So it's hats for me for a while, and I'm seriously considering getting no more haircuts until my wedding later this year. My hair grows astronomically slowly and I am so sad.

Beelzebub's Gate

Windmill Cancer Survivor.
kiwifarms.net
It's not "classic" but it came back in style. I've been sporting a long shag like this pic for a couple of years now. My hair is fine and pretty thin so it helps me get more volume and texture and works well with my natural semi-curls, plus I am hippie trash so it matches the rest of my style.

Then, two days ago, I went to the same lady who had cut my hair perfectly twice in a row, and she completely fucked up my hair. So it's hats for me for a while, and I'm seriously considering getting no more haircuts until my wedding later this year. My hair grows astronomically slowly and I am so sad.
Oof, I'm sorry you have to go through that. Yeah, I don't go to salon/haircut place until I want something complex like highlights or balayage. I'll go a fashion color like pastel pink every now and then but it's been box dye for me pretty much. So many hairdressers bash on them, but they work really well for their price. My go too for natural colors have been Garnier Nutrisee and for fashion colors, L'oreal Fería.

Reactions: lightswitchdoll

lightswitchdoll

oh mate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a bit of a phobia of hairdressers so I generally only cut and dye my hair myself. Sometimes it accidentally looks amazing and sometimes it's a fucking disaster, but seconding nutrisse for natural colours. I use those little pots by Directions for when I want dangerhair, they're really easy to work with.

Right now I have an auburn ombre thing going on because I wanted some blonde bits but I couldn't be bothered to keep doing my roots. Unfortunately I've noticed I'm going more grey than I realised so I've got some L'Oréal preference in shade Brooklyn and now I just have to figure out how to dye just the roots so that I don't have to bleach the ends again :(

Tags
None