Off-Topic Makeup! Clothes! "Girly stuff" thread -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Beelzebub's Gate

Windmill Cancer Survivor.
kiwifarms.net
I have a bit of a phobia of hairdressers so I generally only cut and dye my hair myself. Sometimes it accidentally looks amazing and sometimes it's a fucking disaster, but seconding nutrisse for natural colours. I use those little pots by Directions for when I want dangerhair, they're really easy to work with.

Right now I have an auburn ombre thing going on because I wanted some blonde bits but I couldn't be bothered to keep doing my roots. Unfortunately I've noticed I'm going more grey than I realised so I've got some L'Oréal preference in shade Brooklyn and now I just have to figure out how to dye just the roots so that I don't have to bleach the ends again :(
I hate doing roots as well, at this point I've stayed with Garnier Nutrisse's Golden Mahogany color (absolutely rich and beautiful brown/faint red) Because I'm a natural medium brown and it easily blends my roots with the rest of my hair. I kept my hair a little short because doing roots with long hair is a pain in the ass. Especially THICK and COARSE long hair. You'll be finished with your roots by the time some other parts of your hair are processed lmao.

Reactions: lightswitchdoll

lightswitchdoll

oh mate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hate doing roots as well, at this point I've stayed with Garnier Nutrisse's Golden Mahogany color (absolutely rich and beautiful brown/faint red) Because I'm a natural medium brown and it easily blends my roots with the rest of my hair. I kept my hair a little short because doing roots with long hair is a pain in the ass. Especially THICK and COARSE long hair. You'll be finished with your roots by the time some other parts of your hair are processed lmao.
Argh yes! Bleaching my hair was the worst, I'd have to buy two packets of whatever I was using to try to get it even and I'd always still have a chunk at the back of my head that I missed.

I would love shorter hair but mine is thick and wavy and I look like a mushroom if it's shorter than my chin. I'm lazy and don't want to have to style it every day so I keep it longer so gravity kinda tames it a bit. I really should try the curly method that I think was mentioned before.

Reactions: Beelzebub's Gate

Beelzebub's Gate

Windmill Cancer Survivor.
kiwifarms.net
My hair is also wavy, I've had mine at the shortest a chin length bob and the longest a little bit below the shoulders. I liked having a bob better, and putting in loose waves was easy and charming. I also have a heart-shaped face so bobs compliment that facial shape well. Going short was definitely out of the comfort zone but I don't regret my choice considering I've saved a lot of money and time from not buying so much shampoo/conditioner AND time in the morning. If my hair was any shorter I wouldn't be able to conceal my baby fat. :(

melty

Proudly sponsored by Mike Bloomberg for president
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since ppl are talking about hair, for various reasons, I recently started doing my hair also. I bleach it and have tape in extensions so this was always a risky proposition. I've been getting it bleached at the salon for years and years, and after a couple of bad experiences decided to finally try it myself. That was a few months ago and I'm really happy with how it's going. I haven't ruined my hair, and while I won't say the extensions look as good as the professional (though this is also where the professional fucked up and made me try doing it myself), the color is generally a lot better and it's more what I wanted.

I did a couple of big splurges recently. Since I'm saving money with doing my own hair, I decided to finally get some facial injections (dermal fillers, etc). I'm not super oldfag or anything, and I've been wearing sunscreen and moisturizer religiously since my early 20s, but I was still starting to feel unhappy with signs of aging. And I am REALLY happy with the results! They don't look unnatural at ALL and they actually improved my face in ways I didn't really expect. I feel like I just look like a better version of myself in my mid-20s. So I'm very glad I did that, but it was expensive.

I also bought that Hourglass Ghost Ambient Lighting palette after wanting it since before Christmas. I'm also really happy with it, but I literally just got it so I don't know yet how it will perform after all day wear. I also recently bought the Hourglass translucent setting powder, and while I liked it initially, it gets too shiny and oily looking by the end of the day. I might go back to the Kat von D translucent powder I was using before. Like everyone else, I don't really like her, but it's the best of that type of product I've tried.

US Marine Hyde

Marginalized clown
kiwifarms.net
also bought that Hourglass Ghost Ambient Lighting palette after wanting it since before Christmas. I'm also really happy with it, but I literally just got it so I don't know yet how it will perform after all day wear. I also recently bought the Hourglass translucent setting powder, and while I liked it initially, it gets too shiny and oily looking by the end of the day. I might go back to the Kat von D translucent powder I was using before. Like everyone else, I don't really like her, but it's the best of that type of product I've tried.
I can’t speak for the ambient lighting palette, but I bought the blush quad from that same collection and it’s fantastic. So the blushes at least should treat you right! They are pigmented, so depending on your coloring you might want to use a smaller brush/build up.
KVD just recently sold her shares of the brand, if that helps your decision! Here’s the press release. They aren’t changing the branding, but Kat herself isn’t involved anymore.

melty

Proudly sponsored by Mike Bloomberg for president
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can’t speak for the ambient lighting palette, but I bought the blush quad from that same collection and it’s fantastic. So the blushes at least should treat you right! They are pigmented, so depending on your coloring you might want to use a smaller brush/build up.
KVD just recently sold her shares of the brand, if that helps your decision! Here’s the press release. They aren’t changing the branding, but Kat herself isn’t involved anymore.
That does make me feel better actually lol. Thanks for the info!
I really like the blushes so far. The iridescent rose is very pigmented, so I have to be careful but I do really like it. Very smooth and glowy. I'm a big blush fan and that's what drew me to this brand in the first place. What's your favorite blush in the quad?

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
I think that would be hilarious and entertaining. I'm interested!
Here's my basic idea of what sort of topics the OP would involve:

1. r/ihavesex material, incl. 'look how my dumb boyfie badly did my makeup/nails/whatever' and of course 'this lippie stayed great even after I blew my man'
2. I'm a pail princess!! Why do black girls get all these new shades and none for me??
3. Hugboxing a troon
4. women who don't wear makeup have internalized misogyny
5. How dare you give me constructive criticism
6. mod drama
7. some sort of cultural appropriation drama --dia de los muertos makeup is the low hanging fruit but there's gotta be something else
8. glossier is just vaseline!!
9. I wear a full glam look to my job in a male dominated field where all the guys wear t-shirts and them thinking my look is weird is sexist
10. I am the only girl who wears makeup!!

Any other topics people hate/want to make fun of? I don't want it to be r/muacirclejerk where every other post is 'sweaty where's my sauce' and there's a total lack of self awareness. Also light on Younique posts because 'haha spider mascara and no pigment' gets old after a while.

Also I don't know if it should or should not include the female fashion advice subreddit, because then we could also have

1. I am petite and have huge tits and nobody makes clothes for me
2. Everyone in the Midwest is an unfashionable loser
2a. Everyone in Europe is extremely fashionable
3. Once you're over 24 you should dress like a nun
4. the t-shirt wearing guys at my job also think my pencil skirt and four inch heels are weird and that's sexist too
5. I am the only girl who wears dresses!!
6. witchy

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Just got the ColourPop Mint To Be palette last week. Been playing with it this week, and I'm loving it so far. It pairs really nicely with the Coconut palette (since it's a cool tone neutral palette). It's a really pretty and wearable palette, especially if you use the Coconut palette as a companion. It's great for people like myself, who can get pretty intimidated and self-conscious by putting color on on their eyes.

Today I did a cut crease look with some black winged eyeliner, and I feel like something from the 1960s (in all of the best ways). This will be a favorite look I do for Spring this year, methinks!

For the past several months, ColourPop has been the only brand of eyeshadows I've purchased. I'm definitely hooked, and I'm aware I sound like a shill at this point, lol.

Here's my basic idea of what sort of topics the OP would involve:

1. r/ihavesex material, incl. 'look how my dumb boyfie badly did my makeup/nails/whatever' and of course 'this lippie stayed great even after I blew my man'
2. I'm a pail princess!! Why do black girls get all these new shades and none for me??
3. Hugboxing a troon
4. women who don't wear makeup have internalized misogyny
5. How dare you give me constructive criticism
6. mod drama
7. some sort of cultural appropriation drama --dia de los muertos makeup is the low hanging fruit but there's gotta be something else
8. glossier is just vaseline!!
9. I wear a full glam look to my job in a male dominated field where all the guys wear t-shirts and them thinking my look is weird is sexist
10. I am the only girl who wears makeup!!

Any other topics people hate/want to make fun of? I don't want it to be r/muacirclejerk where every other post is 'sweaty where's my sauce' and there's a total lack of self awareness. Also light on Younique posts because 'haha spider mascara and no pigment' gets old after a while.

Also I don't know if it should or should not include the female fashion advice subreddit, because then we could also have

1. I am petite and have huge tits and nobody makes clothes for me
2. Everyone in the Midwest is an unfashionable loser
2a. Everyone in Europe is extremely fashionable
3. Once you're over 24 you should dress like a nun
4. the t-shirt wearing guys at my job also think my pencil skirt and four inch heels are weird and that's sexist too
5. I am the only girl who wears dresses!!
6. witchy
I think you pretty much covered it. I can't think of anything else at the top of my head. :like:

US Marine Hyde

Marginalized clown
kiwifarms.net
That does make me feel better actually lol. Thanks for the info!
I really like the blushes so far. The iridescent rose is very pigmented, so I have to be careful but I do really like it. Very smooth and glowy. I'm a big blush fan and that's what drew me to this brand in the first place. What's your favorite blush in the quad?
In the quad, my favorite is probably the fuschia! It’s a great way to brighten up cool-toned makeup. The orange is nice too, but on my complexion I have to be careful with it so I don’t turn myself into a cockatiel. My most used is probably the nude, though, which is very subtle and I actually have to build up a little.

Reactions: melty

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
So some of Lady Gaga's makeup line, Haus Laboratories, had a "special deal of the day" sale on Amazon, and I took advantage of it. I got some lip liners and some of the "liquid-to-powder" eyeshadows.

I adore the lip liners; they are so easy to apply. There is literally zero "dragging" when I apply them to my lips, and they're really comfortable to wear and not at all drying. The red one is my favorite. I wear red lipstick the most out of any other lip color/product, so I'm always on the hunt for a good red lip liner. This one is great!

The liquid-to-powder eyeshadows are actually a lot of fun to use. I got the one in green and the one in champagne. I can already tell that I will use the crap out of the champagne one, as it works as an amazing "quick, all over the lid color" for when I can't be bothered to spend more than 5 minutes on my makeup. I used to use Urban Decay's Primer Potion in Sin a lot back in the day for this purpose, but UD reformulated it and the product sucks now. I just found my proper replacement! Yay! As for the green one, it's really pretty. I guarantee that I will use it a lot as eyeliner (my favorite way to wear color on my eyes). If you're just generally into quick smokey eye looks, then I totally recommend these in the darker colors. They blend and layer up really nicely, so I can imagine that these would kick ass for a 5-minute smokey eye.

Color me surprised and impressed with the Lady Gaga makeup so far. I'm going to keep an eye out for any additional pressed eyeshadow palettes they make in the future; the one they released for the holidays has a really, really boring color story. lol.

JambledUpWords

Y’all are attracted to me, lez be real here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anyone has any skin care tips, I’d appreciate it. I get dry skin on my face, and it drives me insane.

I use a Nivea foaming cleanser, rose oil, and Olay face lotion, but it hasn’t really helped much.
I like using serums with hydrochloric acid. The brand Forth Ray Beauty (sister brand of ColourPop) makes this serum called Rainfall with hydrochloric acid. You don’t need much, and you can apply it once to twice daily. This serum also helps prevent acne. A bottle costs around $12, but it lasts a super long time.

Another thing I like to use is the moisturizer from Cerave. It is unscented and after you put it on, it doesn’t feel like it’s there. It’s not greasy at all. The moisturizer comes in a big bottle too, for a relatively cheap price.

I have dry/normal skin, so I understand the struggle. Hopefully this helps.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I second the notion of using a hyluronic acid serum. More and more skincare brands are making their own serums, so I think you can easily find one at the drugstore at this point. I also use the ColourPop/Fourth Ray Beauty one, and it's pretty great. Once I hit my 30s, my skin staged a mutiny on me; I have both eczema and rosacea now. I went through an entire year of embarrassment because I went from having a clear complexion for my entire life to having redness all over my face. Hyluronic acid has helped me greatly.

@peachpit , since you say you have dry skin, I highly recommend that you dump the foaming cleanser immediately. I have combination skin, and foaming cleansers (a) trigger my eczema, and (b) have always made my skin dry out, even when I didn't have skin issues back in the day. It looks like you need a much gentler cleanser. I highly recommend CeraVe or Cetaphil, as they are effective cleansers, but are also super gentle on the skin at the same time. Philosophy makes a nice gentle cleaner as well, but it's more expensive than CeraVe and Cetaphil.

Other things I recommend:
-Gently exfoliate your face once a week; don't overdo it, though.
-Get yourself some face masks and use those 1-2 times a week.
-Get yourself a toner with moisturizing properties; toners prep your face for moisturizers.
-If you feel that your face is getting dry thoughout the day, then get yourself a face mist with moisturizing properties in it.
-Make sure you're drinking lots of water.

peachpit

Deditated wam
kiwifarms.net
Thank you guys so much! I’m going to try some of the products you’ve mentioned, and I’ll also attempt to locate the skincare thread!

Reactions: knightlautrec

fleas in my brain

kiwifarms.net
If anyone has any skin care tips, I’d appreciate it. I get dry skin on my face, and it drives me insane.

I use a Nivea foaming cleanser, rose oil, and Olay face lotion, but it hasn’t really helped much.
If you haven’t tried Vitamin E yet, you definitely should try! It’s cold as balls where I live so I always get chapped skin on my face, and Vitamin E saved my skin. I either buy gel tablets OTC, cut them open, and apply the gel to my skin, or use a nice heavy cream like the one I use now; “Jāsön Vitamin E 25,000 IU moisturizing cream” (sorry no pic, phoneposting)

Reactions: peachpit
Tags
None