• "So if you kill yourself, don't come crying to me."

Off-Topic Makeup! Clothes! "Girly stuff" thread

Discussion in 'Beauty Parlour' started by Dee, Jul 3, 2014.

Forum Guidelines

The Beauty Parlour is for women or not-women in the sphere of cosplay and the beauty industry that is not strictly limited to lolcows.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, embarrassing details about yourself. Declaring a post powerleveling does not magically exempt you from this rule.
  • No thirst. No one cares if you want to have sex with someone. Reporting thirst posts to mods is encouraged.
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over Lolcows. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • No trolling plans. We are not an autistic Illuminati. Failtrolls will be ridiculed mercilessly.
  1. guess who just applied acrylic nails for the first time adn nosw hds to re-lesn hosw tp type

jk this is actually the first time in my life that I haven't been all self conscious about my nails so this was a good decision

• Like Like x 5
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  2. That's a shame. Do you know if Aussie stuff is avaliable over there? If so, they do a fantastic '3 Miracle Oil' that might be worth looking at. It's used before washing hair as a moisturiser, on damp hair to repair it and on dry hair as a smoothing agent, and it does a pretty good job of keeping my cowlicks under control without being too heavy. It's got a mixture of coconut oil, Australian macadamia nut oil and Australian sunflower seed oil in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ScrewTheRules

ScrewTheRules I have a Doom Virus Dragon!

kiwifarms.net
  3. I wondered about the additives in the MO- it smelled suspiciously too good haha. The Surface Bassu sounds nice, I'll have to locate it. :heart-full:

We do have Aussie products! I've not seen the oil, but then again haven't been looking either. Investigation will happen!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS FUCK THE HATERS FAKE NAILS 4 LYFE

• Feels Feels x 2
    wifflypuff

wifflypuff i hunger
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. They have a salon locator tool on their website, so I hope you can track it down! It's definitely my favorite, I want to get a backbar-sized bottle so it takes forever to run out.

• Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  5. Makeup isn't hiding your real face it's enhancing your good features and cleaning it up. Would you rather be the sad forgotten bush in front of the methhead house or the fancy pruned one your rich grandma pays people to landscape? You're not carving off and gluing on new features lmao it's still your face.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  6. Because they fucking want to. It makes some people feel pretty, and it's a way to express some creativity.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Blake Bumbleby

Blake Bumbleby [yasscat intensifies]
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  7. Let's just stop this right here before it turns into the kind of makeupaddiction thread which ends up on SRD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    bloodcoffee

bloodcoffee skinny soy caramel latte with an extra shot
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  8. Any of you have experience with Jamsu? How long can i expect it to last with it? And if possible are there any good tutorial you'd recommend?

CasualSeppuku

Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  9. I get SNS nails. They are a little bit more expensive than acrylic because you can't get refills, but they are thinner.

Have you tried threading? It hurts more but the shape is always better and its cheaper.
    Make an appointment at one of those laser and botox places and ask them for recommendations. They all seem to do peels, IPL facials etc & nothing can really come close to the results you will get from that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Ariel

Ariel Sorbet
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  10. Tangentially beauty related, but I'm kind of irritated with Sephora. I'm a VIB Rouge, so I get free shipping on all of my orders. The past two years, the free shipping was two-day shipping and now they've changed it to three. I assume that it became prohibitively expensive to continue two-day shipping, but they had been slipping on that front for a while. Toward the end of the year, I never got anything in two days. They'd give me a two-day shipping estimate and then another day or two would always get tacked on somewhere en route.

Three-day shipping isn't really all that expedited. 3-5 days is regular ground shipping. So, basically, Sephora is sending me things the same way they send everyone else's things, but they still want me to feel special so I don't stop spending at least a thousand dollars a year in their store, so they're just going to pretend I'm still getting things faster.

I don't need to get things faster, so I'm not super pissed about it, but it's kind of indicative of Sephora not really knowing how to make the Rouge tier attractive to people who can spend their money elsewhere, like Ulta, where your reward points have a monetary value. Sephora needs to reevaluate its rewards program, I think. I would shop at Ulta more often, but their shipping is garbage. They don't pack things well and your stuff comes to you broken.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Feels Feels x 2
    Broken Pussy

kiwifarms.net
  11. This is one of the biggest reasons I almost exclusively shop at Ulta, except for Sephora-only exclusives. I was rouge for two years (one of which was the year rouge launched in the first place) and their benefits are just...super shitty. Meanwhile, I can go to Ulta and not only get points for getting my hair dyed or my eyebrows waxed, but also get double points (because I'm platinum), not to mention the promos they have like the one they're running now--all skin and hair services net you 5X the points. And you only need to spend $450 (or rather, have 450 points), which is super fucking easy if you're like me and frequent their salon and brow bar.

tl;dr: ulta >>>>>>> sephora

(I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with Ulta's shipping...I've never had a problem with things I've ordered online, but I've only ordered online like...four? five? times. Have you contacted customer service about it? If enough people complain, they might switch to better shipping materials/packing methods.)

• Informative Informative x 4
    Blake Bumbleby

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. I shop online a lot, because I live in a small town and going to an actual brick and mortar location requires a trip to the nearest small city. I always go to Sephora and Ulta when I'm in the city but I don't go to the city that often.

I think the packaging thing is a pretty widespread problem. I've read about it on multiple websites and I know that Christine from Temptalia has mentioned it a couple of times. They don't cushion things very well. A box from Sephora has layers of tissue and bubble wrap, and it seems like Ulta just throws your stuff in a box and hopes for the best. I'm always afraid to buy anything expensive from them. When I order perfume, for example, I cross my fingers until it gets to me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Broken Pussy

kiwifarms.net
  13. I know that feel. The closest Sephora to me is about an hour away, and the closest Ulta (the one I go to most often because salon) is about 30 minutes away. (I live in a very small, very rural, college town.)

I did notice the lack of padding, etc. in my Ulta packages...but I guess I just lucked out when nothing was broken. (I'm also only ordered stuff like shampoo, lotion, lipsticks, etc., so that might have had something to do with it.)

Blake Bumbleby

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. Then I signed into my Urban Decay account, and all of the points I had from their reward system expired on January 1st. Why do the points not roll over? Why do all these stores hate me when all,I want is to give them all my money?

Ugh.

• Feels Feels x 7
    Broken Pussy

kiwifarms.net
  15. I live about 10 minutes away from an ulta and have a couple sephoras within a 20-30 minute radius. I'm not much of an online shopper because for the most part I can get it nowNOWNOWNOWNOW if I really want/need it. But having ordered from both Sephora and Ulta online for something that wasn't in store, I can easily say that I would totally order anything over Sephora over Ulta online. The last time I ordered from Ulta everything was chucked into a box with no padding and one of the dude-scented cologne samples broke in transit which was fantastic when I opened the box up. :c

I've decided to go on a makeup/bodycare ban of sorts. I've already felt kind of disillusioned by seeing a lot of what looks like the same colors recycled in palettes, palettes with shitty pigmentation and high price tags, and not really feeling anything was an "I NEED THAT NOW" with the exception of the Modern Renaissance palette. I cleaned out a lot (like, where the fuck was all this stuff hiding) of old eyeshadows I'd never wear now, nasty creme blushes, and the like after New Year's and realized how much I fucking have. Duplicates of my favorite NYX eyeliner pencil out the wazoo out of that "oh shit better stock up" mentality. With the amount of shadows and blushes and other exciting scents and colors, I have no fucking need to be spending more money on more stuff.

My exception would be for running out of a primer, foundation, concealer, setting powder, or mascara. My choices for those don't really run over $10-$14. I still have gift cards for cosmetics but that's it. It's been fun shopping my hoard. My mom had given me a NARS Charade duo and I guess at the time the colors weren't my bag but I like them now.

I organized a lot of my Bath and Body Works/Lush/other bodycare on a three-tier IKEA cart with my makeup on the top tier. It's satisfying seeing how it fits. All my palettes (with the exception of two of the UD VICE and Lime Crime Venus because they're big) fit in a box on top and it's like my little card catalog I can page through. Blushes are in another little box with two spring/summer foundations. It's a hell of a lot easier to know what you have when you can see it.

• Like Like x 7
    GRANDnumberofMULTIPLES

GRANDnumberofMULTIPLES thuper pigmentit

kiwifarms.net
  16. probably the wrong place to ask, but hell, i'll ask anyway
    Does anyone have any recommendations for womens running trainers? Preferably ones you can buy in the UK?

• Feels Feels x 1
    Alpha Loves You

Alpha Loves You Only the second worst Whisperer
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  17. That's where I'm at right now. I'm going on a no-buy for a little bit, except for essentials. There isn't anything new that I can't live without anyway... I mean, I got three of the UD Vintage Vice lipsticks on sale for $11 each, but aside from that, I'm focusing on 1) investing in better basics and skincare and 2) getting through the mountain of lipsticks/lip glosses that I already have.

Of course, it helps that I've decided to give up eyeshadow, since my eyes won't tolerate it for more than a couple of hours now. So I'll just go and stare longingly at the palettes that I know better than to waste my money on...

Also, I've gone back to entirely shaving my eyebrows, so all the loose shadows I used to use for drawing them on will be seeing the light of day again, and I'm window-shopping so that when my tax return comes, I can get my brakes fixed and finally invest in some supplies to make my own lip glosses. I've been drooling over the new Geek Chic "Shadow Galactica" collection, particularly "Tin Puppet" and "Iron Crunch". I want to get samples and make lip glosses out of them (well, the ones that are lip-safe, of course).

• Like Like x 4
    kiwifarms.net
  18. Every time I try to go the no-/low-buy route, my makeup hoarder 'tism screams in protest.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Feels Feels x 3
    Broken Pussy

kiwifarms.net
  19. It's going to depend on your feet. Someone with narrower feet might prefer Puma or Mizuno. I have wide feet, so New Balance is the way to go. Also depends if you do most of your running indoors or outdoors, trail running, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    wifflypuff

wifflypuff i hunger
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  20. Adidas and Asics are both good brands with a wide range of prices. Also to add on what wifflypuff said it's important to know your kind of stepping, if you buy a shoe for the incorrect stepping you will be more prone to injuries and it won't be as comfortable. If you want specifics i like the Asics GT 1000 series, they aren't exactly cheap tho.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    CasualSeppuku

kiwifarms.net