• "Move over 4chan, Kiwi Farms is the new asshole of the web."

Off-Topic Makeup! Clothes! "Girly stuff" thread

Discussion in 'Beauty Parlour' started by Dee, Jul 3, 2014.

Forum Guidelines

The Beauty Parlour is for women or not-women in the sphere of cosplay and the beauty industry that is not strictly limited to lolcows.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, embarrassing details about yourself. Declaring a post powerleveling does not magically exempt you from this rule.
  • No thirst. No one cares if you want to have sex with someone. Reporting thirst posts to mods is encouraged.
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over Lolcows. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • No trolling plans. We are not an autistic Illuminati. Failtrolls will be ridiculed mercilessly.
  1. Any recommendations for translucent, loose powder? I bought a sample of the RCMA No Colour powder to try it, because even a full sized jar is cheaper than the Vichy one, and it has great reviews online. My No. 7 pressed powder is the perfect shade but seems to cake on this new foundation.

bloodcoffee

bloodcoffee skinny soy caramel latte with an extra shot
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. Everyone in this thread seems to use far more expensive products than me but I like the NYX loose powder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  3. Sigh. I know the answer is a sad 'no', but what the hell, it's worth a try asking.

Hormonal spots. Usual places - chin, occasional hairline, usual times of month.

Does anyone have ANYTHING that will make the buggers go away other than the ol' hormonal contraception? It and I really, really do not get on and in any case, it made the bloody spots worse.

I'm too old for period spots. Help pls

• Feels Feels x 4
    Fareal

Fareal Supercommander of the Brave New World
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. Unless you're hitting menopause, you're never too old for hormonal acne :') Long term use of birth control has really helped me, but for some people it does make it worse. Aside from asking your doctor for other options I think all you can do is have a good skin routine and a clean diet.

• Like Like x 4
    • Feels Feels x 1
    sea panther

sea panther stupid as fuck

kiwifarms.net

5. we were doing just fine until the clean diet

I know you're right though, when I've made concerted efforts to Not Eat Like Shit it has been a bit better. But, y'know, vegetables.

• Feels Feels x 3
    Fareal

Fareal Supercommander of the Brave New World
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. I got hit hard with hormonal cystic acne after I turned 30. For me the Arcona skincare line was a godsend + benzoyl peroxide 10% on breakouts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    wifflypuff

wifflypuff i hunger
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  7. Yeah, with the hormonal stuff I would spot-treat with benzoyl peroxide (which will bleach fabric so be careful) and now that I don't use that any longer I actually use a little bit of the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque as a spot treatment. That seems to calm down my trouble spots without irreversibly damaging my pillowcase or making my skin really tender and thin.

@bloodcoffee I use the NYX HD Finishing powder. Hasn't done me wrong or made me look cakey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1367 GRANDnumberofMULTIPLES, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    GRANDnumberofMULTIPLES

GRANDnumberofMULTIPLES thuper pigmentit

kiwifarms.net
  8. SO MANY RUINED PILLOWCASES MY GOD. On the other hand- no more painful bullshit pustules on your face.

Seconding the Mint Julep masque too- stuff's a keeper. :heart-full:

I just picked up Cinema Secrets setting powder, which I prefer to the MUFE/NYX HD powder- doesn't leave a whitecast even if I get a little heavy handed with application.

• Like Like x 1
    wifflypuff

wifflypuff i hunger
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  9. Birth control didn't make my hormonal acne go away, either, it just made it less. And, with the first one I took, I got all these other fun things to deal with alongside it, like hyperpigmentation, weight gain, and even more excessive hair than I had before. So I feel you. I wouldn't take the shit if I didn't have to. :heart-empty:

And I know I recommend it for literally every skin issue, but these two things have improved my skin more than anything: oil cleansing and chemical exfoliation. Just make sure that if you go with the latter, you're never without SPF, because you'll wind up with even more problems than before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  10. I feel like I made a huge mistake

Recently, I got hair extensions. Mirco links, to be exact. But the person who put them in for me didn't really tell me how to take care of them, so a lot of them are falling out. It's pretty obvious just by looking at me that I have hair extensions because I have naturally really thick hair while my extensions are not as thick. Plus my extensions aren't as wavy as my actual hair. So I look stupid. Plus my hair is always tangled and I feel like it's too much to handle. I wasted a lot of money on something that wasn't even useful in the end and now I'm super broke. Ugh.

Rant over. Has anyone here ever gotten extensions before and if so, can they give me any advice?

• Feels Feels x 3
    kiwifarms.net
  11. How's the salon in detail? I want to get my hair re-dyed and my stylist of seven years retired to be with her toddlers more, and I don't trust myself to do as good of a job she did.

Josuke

Josuke 「 CRAZY DIAMOND 」

kiwifarms.net
  12. It's amazing. I legit refuse to go to any other salon, even the Ulta salon that's closest to me. My stylist is probably my favorite person, because she can always tell what I'm going for, even if I describe it poorly. For dyes, they mainly use Redken for the "natural" colors, and Pravana Vivids (and one other brand but I can't remember the name) for the "fashion" colors. I've never had a negative experience at an Ulta salon, and while they're a bit pricy, it is SO worth it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Blake Bumbleby

Blake Bumbleby [yasscat intensifies]
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. Has anyone had troubles with Lush face masks? I got one called Oatifix for dry skin and the next day it looked like i'd been smacked in the face with an iron- but only on one side.

• Feels Feels x 2
    admiral

admiral On the path to enlightenment
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. idk there isn't much you can do if it doesn't match. To stop them from tangling so much loop them up on your head and clip them when you're at home. I used to get my sister to do tape extensions for me years ago, but they end up being so damaging its just not worth it.

Ariel

Ariel Sorbet
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. I feel you so hard. 4 years ago I got 20" hot fusion extensions (which took 4 hours to put in and I don't even want to talk about the absurd cost) because I was desperate for long hair and mine wasn't growing past my shoulders thanks to my friend giving me a chemical haircut a year prior. It was such a huge mistake and waste of money. The extensions fell out pretty quickly even when I was being gentle and using the special brush the stylist gave me, and they very quickly became damaged, thin and bedraggled-looking. I was only co-washing and using hair masks and braiding before bed, basically everything the stylist told me, and nothing I did could salvage them. I had to get 3-4 fills in the 3 month span of time I kept them before I called it quits. (To add insult to injury, after they were removed my actual hair was even shorter than before - but it grew out very quickly for some reason and now it's longer than the extensions were.) To this day I have no idea what I was doing wrong when I was following the instructions I was given to the letter but I'll never get extensions again.

If you want to keep them I would call the salon you got them at and ask how to properly care for them.

• Feels Feels x 3
    sea panther

sea panther stupid as fuck

kiwifarms.net
  16. So, here's where I'm at right now.

My hair is beyond fucked. Like, there's nothing I can really do for it at this point to keep it form looking extremely stupid as it grows out, due to poor choices in hair coloring and cuts. So I'm very seriously considering shaving my natural hair off and getting a wig or two to wear in the meantime, while my hair grows out nice and healthy.

My problem is, most of the wigs I've found that don't cost $300+ (and some that do!) look really unnatural and are in cuts that I wouldn't wear if you paid me. I don't honestly care if people know I'm wearing a wig, but why drop $310 on this Noriko wig (which is exactly what I was looking for, mid-length and platinum with a bit of root), when for that amount of money I could buy ten cosplay wigs from Arda Wigs or Rockstar Wigs that look just as natural, if that user pic is anything to go by? At least then I could change my hair daily if I wanted...

• Feels Feels x 3
    kiwifarms.net
  17. Oh shit, I'm in on this. I don't know who created the beauty parlor section but thank you very much.

And I'm not going to read through 69 pages to try and find out if anyone has shown actual pictures of their hair, makeup or clothes...

2_blank_spaces

2_blank_spaces Noot noot

kiwifarms.net
  18. :oops: Noob makeup question time :oops:
    There are quite a few makeup savvy kiwis here, so I thought I'd just ask for any opinions since I'm kind of a pleb when it comes to makeup. :heart-empty:

So, I have naturally pale skin and when I try to put on makeup, I always feel like my skin/face looks kind of pasty and drained of color. Are there any specific ways to make my complexion look warmer? Like, are there any specific shades of eyeshadows, eyeliner, mascara, blush etc. that can help warm up a pale complexion?

Since I'm not too familiar with makeup, I just started out with the covergirl stay luminous foundation in classic ivory 810 [​IMG]

Kataomoi00

Kataomoi00 Your Token Optimist

kiwifarms.net

19. I'd say try skincare that targets dullness specifically. As for makeup, try highlighter - it adds a glow and dimension to your face. Blush also helps, but with a careful and light hand. There's highlighter out there that is subtle enough, making your complexion look dewey and amazing without looking like a face full of grease. I use the Hourglass ambient palette, it is a bit on the high end side. I'm not sure of drugstore substitutes but I'm sure there's something out there.

There are also foundations and BB creams out there that target dull skin, give that a try.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    PropaGONDA

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  20. Seconding what @PropaGONDA said. NYX makes a nice highlighter palette that also doubles as some nice shimmery eyeshadows. I would recommend a cream blush vs. powder because it'll be easier to apply just a touch and blend in when you're just starting out.

What color are your hair/eyes? That will help us recommend colors.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    wifflypuff

wifflypuff i hunger
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net