Marinades -

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
So I've been wanting to step up my marinade game. Right now all I really ever do is make a mix of lemon pepper/garlic pepper with some olive oil.

Any of you guys have any marinade recipes you would like to share?

Reactions: break these cuffs

break these cuffs

Wagner loves cock
kiwifarms.net
I mostly just dry brine now and then add spices after a light coating of oil before cooking. I was big on marinading for years until I started reading Amazing Ribs. They do a lot of experiments that debunk common myths in cooking meat and specifically BBQing. Their article on marinating was enlightening for me. The tl;dr is that marinades don't really penetrate meat very far, so short marinades are just as good as long marinades. Just get flavor on the meat. In fact marinades with high acid can be detrimental because of how they alter meat. Ceviche is "cooked" by citric acid alone after all. Brines, or marinades heavy in salt, with help break down protein to make meat more tender and enhance flavor. It also penetrates much farther than marinades, so it's the exception in that longer does do more. It's especially useful for thin cuts of tougher meat like flank steak. Oils don't do much for a marinade other than act as a medium for the spices and add a bit of flavor. Scoring the meat will allow marinade to penetrate deeper and provides more surface area for flavor to collect.

An Ghost

Top Coof
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
depends of what youre pairing it with. chicken i usually do soy sauce and garlic and ginger and honey and olive oil but i also usually eat it with quinoa. i will say i do notice a marinated meat is more tender.

heres what i made earlier for my steak tips
1/4 cup Worcester sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp sage
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp honey
maybe something else im forgetting off the top of my head
sit over night
the plan is broil and slice, toss in a salad with goat cheese, maybe also rolled in the same herbs, and raisins. and some plum wine.

Reactions: Tryphaena

BONE_Buddy

Mach Raider
kiwifarms.net
I mostly just dry brine now and then add spices after a light coating of oil before cooking. I was big on marinading for years until I started reading Amazing Ribs. They do a lot of experiments that debunk common myths in cooking meat and specifically BBQing. Their article on marinating was enlightening for me. The tl;dr is that marinades don't really penetrate meat very far, so short marinades are just as good as long marinades. Just get flavor on the meat. In fact marinades with high acid can be detrimental because of how they alter meat. Ceviche is "cooked" by citric acid alone after all. Brines, or marinades heavy in salt, with help break down protein to make meat more tender and enhance flavor. It also penetrates much farther than marinades, so it's the exception in that longer does do more. It's especially useful for thin cuts of tougher meat like flank steak. Oils don't do much for a marinade other than act as a medium for the spices and add a bit of flavor. Scoring the meat will allow marinade to penetrate deeper and provides more surface area for flavor to collect.
I just want to thank you for pointing us to that website. Seems like it has some good information.

Reactions: break these cuffs

FlappyBat

soap, ballot, jury, ammo
kiwifarms.net
Embrace your inner Cuban and make some mojo marinade.

• 1 small head of garlic, peeled and separated
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1⁄4 cup fresh bitter orange juice or 4 tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 4 tbsp. fresh orange juice
  • 1⁄4 cup olive oil
  • 1⁄2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
  • 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 pinch dried oregano, crushed
  • Salt to taste
Crush the garlic and combine all the ingredients together. Works great for braised pork.

Reactions: Dr. Geronimo

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Using one of these is really good for increasing the absorption of marinade:

3FDFBBAE-5A39-471C-B5AC-69D71D868773.jpeg
It has really worked well on chicken that I’ve used it with. The marinade soaks in far better through the meat.

Tags
None