Marlon James wants to Write "African Game of Thrones" -

ActualKiwi

Return Of The Spinning Kiwis From Middle Earth~~
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since a lot of African tales are well known for having magical, talking animals in their stories (Anansai is one of the best known), I hope we get to see plenty of them. Maybe one of the kingdoms is ruled by these creatures who can turn into humans. This sounds like a really fun idea to see what he do.
So a nation/kingdom of were-furries? That would be amusing at least

Chicken Dippers

awesome with ketchup
kiwifarms.net
This sounds like a cool idea, and I'm sure there's plenty of elements of different African mythologies worth exploring, although I dislike how this guy is calling it the "African Game of Thrones'. I just think it feels like a cheap comparison - if he'd said "African fantasy series" I wouldn't mind, but it sounds like he's just trying to leech off Martin's success.

I_Am_Honor_Roll

Admitted to the CWCville Bar, 2019
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This sounds like a cool idea, and I'm sure there's plenty of elements of different African mythologies worth exploring, although I dislike how this guy is calling it the "African Game of Thrones'. I just think it feels like a cheap comparison - if he'd said "African fantasy series" I wouldn't mind, but it sounds like he's just trying to leech off Martin's success.
You know that's what everyone's going to glom onto, and ignore what the rest of the books are about, which is a shame because this sounds fucking awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: Chicken Dippers

Chicken Dippers

awesome with ketchup
kiwifarms.net
Why are people having such a ridiculous bitchfit over someone saying "African Game of Thrones?"

It's just a way of saying a Machiavellian drama about politics that is in Africa instead of somewhere else, using language that most people reading it will understand.

Calm the fuck down.
Jesus dude, take a chill pill, lol. Noone's having a bitchfit - I was just pointing out it seems a bit silly is all.

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net
Why are people having such a ridiculous bitchfit over someone saying "African Game of Thrones?"

It's just a way of saying a Machiavellian drama about politics that is in Africa instead of somewhere else, using language that most people reading it will understand.

Calm the fuck down.
I'm starting to suspect no one read past the first line :(

I'm pretty sure there are far more concerning things to talk about than just that he compared his work to GoT. It seems to me his trash-talking of the Tudors to be a minor red flag, as in will his work be a genuine reimagining of African folklore or just an exercise in "look how much cooler my myths are than yours"?

Also, who wants to take a guess at how many white people will feature in his books? Since he seems to believe that European-inspired fantasy needs to have more diversity, perhaps he will lead the way and make a diverse cast of races appear in his African-inspired fantasy books. Or perhaps not, because he is exempt from the race-baiting scrutiny of the Cry-Bullies.

• Agree
Reactions: CWCissey

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to suspect no one read past the first line :(

I'm pretty sure there are far more concerning things to talk about than just that he compared his work to GoT. It seems to me his trash-talking of the Tudors to be a minor red flag, as in will his work be a genuine reimagining of African folklore or just an exercise in "look how much cooler my myths are than yours"?

Also, who wants to take a guess at how many white people will feature in his books? Since he seems to believe that European-inspired fantasy needs to have more diversity, perhaps he will lead the way and make a diverse cast of races appear in his African-inspired fantasy books. Or perhaps not, because he is exempt from the race-baiting scrutiny of the Cry-Bullies.
It depends. How historically accurate will it be? If it's fantasy, it doesn't really have to be accurate.

But there are certainly intersections between African civilizations and the rest of the world. So something in the period of Mansa Musa's hajj (where he dumped so much gold into Egypt that the economy went nuts) would have a lot of potential for these interactions.

Africa being considered a primitive backwater is really a product of the last few centuries mainly because of them drawing the short straw repeatedly in current events. A lot of this has just been pure contingency and bad luck more than anything.

Stress Sigh

Brought my Bee-rimbau!
kiwifarms.net
If this does become a thing I'd hope it'd feature or at least be inspired by actual African mythology. It's very interesting and not many people know about it. Though it is a bit concerning if it would cause fragmentation of viewership based on race with Asian, Hispanic, etc game of thrones like shows being made if successful.

• Agree
Reactions: TyrannoNinja

Chocolate Elvis

Whole lotta shakin', whole lotta shakin'
kiwifarms.net
Despite the fact that the phrase African game of thrones sounds click-bait as hell, I'm genuinely interested in this. A Brief History of Seven Killings was pretty much one of my favourite novels of last year and James is spot on when it comes to researching black history and culture. ABHOSK's Jamaica is anything but a happy-go-lucky pot paradise.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now, if we go with the "direct comparison" of 'African Game of Thrones' we're going to run into a lot of problems.

GoT/ASoIaF is the War of the Roses hit endlessly with a lump hammer before being writ large. Some of the places described and illustrated in the books are about ten times larger than seen on TV (largely due to budget). Many of the events can be traced to actual historical events that Martin is toying with.

It also means, Martin has been piecing together written histories and events, and using them for his own purposes. The western world has been recording keeping in one format or another since the Doomsday Book; well over 900 years of mildly reliable history to draw upon, and the 90-odd years of the Wars of the Roses in particular.

African written history is in massive fits and starts, with the Ottomans probably being the longest keepers of written history. Before that there was a long gap and it was the Moors, before that more gaps and we're looking at ancient Egyptians.

Notice how I haven't strayed below the Sahara?

The majority of the African continent relied almost exclusively on aural tradition until the colonial era when record keeping was imposed. There's so little in terms of reliable events and storytelling that could be used to create a similar epic that it could become another Tolkein-esque Blaxploitation bookset.

I'd love it if it wasn't and I'd be first in line to buy it. But... I suspect that's what we'll get.

Rafal Gan Ganowicz

Please do not rate this user's posts autistic.
kiwifarms.net
I look forward to it. I'm wondering how he will craft the cultural attributes of the baddies, however. If he makes them obviously culturally White, it'd be shit. He'll have a tightrope to walk ascribing cultural negatives to any of the Black civilizations in his book , given the current climate. Should be interesting

Would be pretty awesome if he told the truth about the murderous, genocidal Bantu, but that woud certainly stir some shit.

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Eh, I guess it could work, with the right vision and direction. I think they could go for something like a loose adaptation of Mansa Musa and his empire, and how he dealt with revolts and its neighboring empires.

1596078040807.png

1596078107821.png

Mansa Musa was the richest man who ever lived, it would be nice if they stuck to some degree of historical accuracy, but considering the times we are living in, it's wishful thinking.

• Informative
Reactions: Scribbler