Marlon James wants to Write "African Game of Thrones" -

whitepumpkin

Verified Autumn White Girl
kiwifarms.net
The book came out. I saw it in Chapters once, and it looked pretty bland and like edgy YA. It's called Black Leopard, Red Wolf and its sitting at 3.44 on Goodreads, which I know means take that rating with a grain of salt, but considering the first review talks about how pretentious the book is, I think Marlon James failed at trying to make an African 'Game of Thrones'. Which is even funnier, considering how he's Jamaican. Like not even half-blood African and shit but he wanted to do "African GOT". Culture appropriation much? :\

I think what a lot of writers keep forgetting is that if you want to be the next GRRM, you have to.. you know. Be able to write well and keep audiences engaged. I don't think it was the fantasy that drew in so many people, I'm pretty sure it was the characters and plotline. The sex and exposition are just ways to further pacing. It wasn't why people grabbed the books, but having characters stand around talking all the time is boring. Yet for some reason, imitators think you need that - that's why it was successful! And what comes out from them is a boring turd because they didn't think beyond the trees.

Alas, writers these days seem very disconnected to the average person, so of course they write snobbish drivel and then get salty on why they don't have an HBO series. I mean, he included bestiality in his book (apparently), why aren't people lining up in droves to read this?

Must be racism.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
The book came out. I saw it in Chapters once, and it looked pretty bland and like edgy YA. It's called Black Leopard, Red Wolf and its sitting at 3.44 on Goodreads, which I know means take that rating with a grain of salt, but considering the first review talks about how pretentious the book is, I think Marlon James failed at trying to make an African 'Game of Thrones'. Which is even funnier, considering how he's Jamaican. Like not even half-blood African and shit but he wanted to do "African GOT". Culture appropriation much? :\

I think what a lot of writers keep forgetting is that if you want to be the next GRRM, you have to.. you know. Be able to write well and keep audiences engaged. I don't think it was the fantasy that drew in so many people, I'm pretty sure it was the characters and plotline. The sex and exposition are just ways to further pacing. It wasn't why people grabbed the books, but having characters stand around talking all the time is boring. Yet for some reason, imitators think you need that - that's why it was successful! And what comes out from them is a boring turd because they didn't think beyond the trees.

Alas, writers these days seem very disconnected to the average person, so of course they write snobbish drivel and then get salty on why they don't have an HBO series. I mean, he included bestiality in his book (apparently), why aren't people lining up in droves to read this?

Must be racism.
That's a shame. The idea has potential.